4 adults in a cabin

Sail away MK

I have a premium deluxe aft cabin on an upcoming Discovery Princess cruise.  4 adult ladies.  Last time we did a girls trip we had a mini suite and did fine, but really missed a large balcony (we were on the Royal).  Our aft room has a huge balcony so we are thrilled. However, I knew this cabin will be smaller but I did not know that the storage options are so different.  Desk area DOUBLES as a refrigerator /drink station AND hair/makeup station.  Any advice for making it work.  I have over the door shoe holder and a closet hanging shelf unit.  Has anyone moved the beds to have more space?  Can they be put in an L shape?  Any advice will be appreciated.

Can't speak to your specific cabin because you did not share which cabin you're talking about...but I doubt very seriously that the beds can be done "L shaped".  I have yet to see a cabin big enough to do so...though perhaps one of the suites might allow this.

• Like 1

Won't your 4 beds be the two regular beds, the sofa bed, and a bed that drops down from the ceiling?  It would be an interesting arrangement if the two regular beds were put against the side wall and the closet wall with a night table in the corner.

Y'all better be REALLY good friends for this to work.  The Golden Girls Go On a Cruise...  😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I had a friend who was able to do an L shape bed arrangement in an inside cabin.  Not sure it would be possible and STILL have the bunk beds be functional.  Not sure what can be done in a Premium Deluxe Balcony room.

Are you driving to the port or flying in with limited luggage allotment?

I have taken "big box store" boxes inside my luggage and used them as "drawers" for the shelves above the closet and under the sink.  There will probably no more than 3 shelves in the bathroom and very limited counter space. 

I have taken a cloth shower curtain and magnetic hooks to create a "private dressing area".  I have taken large binder clips to weigh down the shower curtain so that water does not seep out of the shower.

It would help to mention your cabin number.  Best you find the nearest public bathrooms...you will need them with 4 adult females.  

IKEA has some great foldable storage boxes.  You will be lucky if each lady has one shelf to herself.  Packing cubes will be a must have.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I have no experience with the Discovery.  We are a family of 4 and we usually do a mini-suite.  We decided to try an aft premium deluxe on the Majestic.  I hated that room and vowed to never go lower than a mini-suite again.  The two additional beds completely blocked the door to the balcony.  We could put the lower bed away by ourselves but we couldn't do anything with the upper bed that dropped from the ceiling.  We had to duck under it to get out onto the balcony and we all hit our heads a few times. Hopefully, Princess realized how terrible that design was and changed it for the Discovery.

• Like 1

@Sail away MK I would not consider sharing a cabin with three of my dear friends. We have gotten  along great on our girls’trips,but we always book two rooms at a hotel or resort . Can’t imagine that the arrangement you mention would be comfortable for any of you.

I know you are asking advice to make the cabin more comfortable, but have you considered a lower category cabin so two cabins could be booked ?

You mention the balcony size. The Royal Class balconies are on the small side. If you had two side by side or connecting cabins, the steward could open the panel between the balconies to make more space.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately I don't believe they'll be able to rearrange the beds to accommodate an l-shape. I personally think it's going to be a rather tight fit with four adults women that are yet loads of fun trying to get ready with one bathroom. I did a girls trip years ago where my friend thought four adult women sharing a cabin would be a splendid idea. Luckily she agreed and gained some sense that two cabins would be more appropriate. After that two week trip, she was happy with my common sense. It came out cheaper to have two separate cabins versus four people sharing a room.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the few D4 aft cabins that sleep 4 have the 4th bed as a drop down pullman that blocks the balcony door. Just be aware.  On the bright side, aft elevators are usually not crowded and it's a quick ride up to 17 where there are restrooms right off the elevators and the changing rooms in the fitness center are super convenient.

• Like 1

Well,  there will certainly be a lot to talk about on this cruise.  Thanks for all the advice.  We will think of it as our tent at sea.  Great idea to use deck 17 as back up bathroom/changing area.  Think of the stories we will have to tell!

For that drop down bed, someone is going to have to climb up and down a ladder. 

Is there a weight limit on that bed?  If there is, is/are the one(s) under the limit able to climb up and down?

It sounds like you will all have a fun trip!  Whether you will repeat such an adventure would be good to know!  But you will certainly be creating memories to laugh about later. ... how much later will be determined by the memories!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sail away MK said:

Well,  there will certainly be a lot to talk about on this cruise.  Thanks for all the advice.  We will think of it as our tent at sea.  Great idea to use deck 17 as back up bathroom/changing area.  Think of the stories we will have to tell!

It's not so much the tent aspect, it's the tetris of trying to get everyone into that room setup.  You basically have bunkbeds blocking the exit to the balcony.  You have to climb over the bottom bed and then duck under the top one to get out onto your balcony.  The end table that goes in front of the couch has to be shoved at the base of the normal beds in order to make a bed out of the couch.  That leaves you about 6 inches to walk around the normal beds to get to the bunk style beds.  If the two sleeping on the bunk style beds need to pee in the middle of the night, it's a minefield in the dark to get to the bathroom.  I cannot stress enough how little floor space is available when all 4 beds are deployed.   You barely have enough space to stand in between the 3 beds on the floor.  

It is doable with 4 full sized adults but you need to be prepared for how tight it's going to be.  Storage is the least of your worries.  Just stack things on top of every horizontal surface and get some hooks to use every bit of wall space you can.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Sail away MK said:

Glamping at its finest! 🥰

You will have a great time! Just communicate with your room steward about what you  need regarding the beds being folded up during the day, extra towels,  etc. Taking advantage of the fitness center locker room is a great idea.

Luckily we are all between 55 - 65 yo and will not put a weight strain on the bunk.  The room steward will definitely be a best friend by the end of the week, and we will watch our bean intake so we do not have those air duct problem.  Good thing we all have the drink package so we have a lot to giggle about over our mimosas on the balcony, enjoying the wake view, recovering from the concussion from when we smacked a head on the pulldown or broke a toe on the pullout.  Our husbands think we are crazy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While the balcony may be bigger it may still only have two chairs and (possibly) a small table.  Having never been in that cabin category on the Discovery or any other Royal Class ship I don't know but maybe someone can address this. 

• Like 1

For the record, I had one of those aft cabins (R734) on Enchanted on a TA in April.  The balcony is larger than a standard balcony, BUT being aft it gets VERY DIRTY from the soot from the ships exhaust stacks.  There are little black granular pellets that get all over the balcony deck and make the bottom of shoes or feet black and gunky, especially when it's wet or damp.   I had the room steward put a bathmat inside the sliding door to the balcony as a mat to wipe feet on and made sure to wear flip-flops on the balcony.

Depending on how the wind blows, you can sometimes smell the exhaust fumes too.  But the smoke is always going to blow towards the stern so long as the ship is going forward.  Perhaps you can have your mimosas on the balcony on port days, but I'm not really sure how enjoyable it would be underway.

BTW, I side with your husbands, you chicks are cray-cray.  🍻

Edited by DCThunder
  • Like 2

Four adults in a cabin wouldn’t be something I would do but it sounds like you all have done it before and made it work so I will give some ideas that hopefully help with the logistics.

Because storage will likely be an issue consider packing cubes- each person with their own color of cubes. The clothing can stay zipped neatly in the cubes and cubes can be stacked on each persons shelf or in the upper area of the closet. Zippered packing cubes with everyone having their own color can also be used to keep toiletries neatly separated and easy to identify whose is who’s.  Keeping everything corralled in color coded cubes will help maintain order in the limited storage space.  These are the ones I use and they work great, I just drop them into the cabin drawers or on the shelves and I am done!

0EC1A88B-2343-4A4A-93FF-0A65C108B8D4.thumb.jpeg.fe06351128ed64d1532872da19f788ec.jpeg

luggage can be stored under the bed to free up floor space for shoes. Magnetic hooks on the walls can be used for hats, tote bags, masks, excursion tickets etc - each person can have dedicated hooks. 

Have you looked at what the cost if the least expensive inside cabin would be?  Perhaps 2 of you could be in the balcony cabin and 2 in the least expensive inside cabin?  The two in the inside cabin could come enjoy the larger balcony in the daytime but then you would all have a bit more space.  The price difference may not be that much. 

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sail away MK said:

I have a premium deluxe aft cabin on an upcoming Discovery Princess cruise.  4 adult ladies.  Last time we did a girls trip we had a mini suite and did fine, but really missed a large balcony (we were on the Royal).  Our aft room has a huge balcony so we are thrilled. However, I knew this cabin will be smaller but I did not know that the storage options are so different.  Desk area DOUBLES as a refrigerator /drink station AND hair/makeup station.  Any advice for making it work.  I have over the door shoe holder and a closet hanging shelf unit.  Has anyone moved the beds to have more space?  Can they be put in an L shape?  Any advice will be appreciated.

Dont do it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Have you watched videos of your cabin?

3 European outlet.  2 American (I think).  2 USB plugs on lamps.  1 desk chair.  2 balcony chairs.  2 bed tables with drawers.   4 shelves in the safe area.  3 shelves in the bathroom.

I hope you got a great deal on Passengers 3 and 4.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=premium+deluxe+balcony+Discovery+Princess+video&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:216731f5,vid:2_7W2zjCBtY

And not professional / new passenger video.  (There were a couple of "errors".)

• Like 1