Third time's a Splendor, a "live-ish" report for January 21-February 8, 2023 cruise

On 1/28/2023 at 6:56 PM, CruisetheCs said:

I'm curious what the opinions are about sound levels in the theater and lounges on Splendor.  On most Regent cruises I find that the sound level has been uncomfortably loud.  In the lounges it was usually difficult to converse.  I haven't been on Splendor yet so wondering if the sound level is annoying loud as it can be on the other ships.

In December, the sound in the theater was painfully loud for a number of the shows, Crossroads and Diamond Run, especially. It was acceptable for Divas and Divos, and for the comic and Krew Kapers. We asked the CD to turn it down, but even then it was loud. Bring your earplugs. Also, he suggested we sit under the balcony.

Gino in the Observation Lounge was never too loud. It really depended on type of music the combo was playing in the Meridian Lounge and the Splendor Lounge as to whether it was too loud or not. We did our best to sit as far from the stage as we could in those lounges. That helped a lot.

We arrived at Roseau, Dominica this morning. We have visited here a few times so we didn’t book a tour. We got off and walked around the town. We made unplanned contributions to the local economy by purchasing a nice shirt for me and a skirt for my wife. 

Back on board for lunch at La Veranda and some relaxation. Dinner was in Conpass Rose and it was excellent again, especially the Beef Bourguignon. 

The show was a comedian, Troy Thirdgill. He was very funny and kept it a PG rated show. I’m looking forward to his next show. 

The next morning we were in Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten. We knew we hadn’t been there for awhile but after digging through some old photos, our last call was nine years ago!

We love going to the Sunset Beach Bar at Maho Beach to watch the planes come in. And Regent had an excursion just for that, so we took it. I have to say, it was better nine years ago when the four-engine jets were more prevalent. 

It was a short stop in Sint Maarten and we left about 3pm. We’ve left early at every port, this captain doesn’t wait around! (And as far as I know, we haven’t left anyone behind!)

There was an early show after we left port, but we skipped that. I’m sure it was great, but it was a Broadway-themed show and that’s not our favorite. 

Predinner drink with Gino in the Observation Lounge, then dinner in Compass Rose. This time we were asked if we wanted to be seated with others, and we said sure. We were seated with two other couples and had a great evening at dinner, with great conversation. Dinner was a little slow, two hours without dessert, and a couple people said their entrees were not hot. I think handling a larger table slowed things down and disrupted the flow of serving entrees when they were ready. They said the entrees tasted fine, just weren’t hot. 

The show was David Nevin’s performance, and he gave us a fantastic show. He’s got a great voice and sang country, rock, and opera. Bravo!

After the show, we went to the Observation Lounge again. It was Guess That Tune, with a focus on Broadway show tunes.  We did predictably bad with that topic but had a good time. One odd thing happened though. One of the servers took our drink order, and then we never saw her again. She just left the the Observation Lounge. I’m sure there’s a good reason but it was odd. And easy enough to flag down another server to reorder. (It was just soda water and lemon.) 

Two sea days next, with the Wine Lunch!03B5EF66-0C66-41C5-8C73-11E9A1A4583F.thumb.jpeg.92e1c0eca8a33cc16bfed014f3b09795.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Just realized we're docking at terminal B in Miami, not terminal J. We're parked in the latter. Hope there is some way to get there 'cause were not walking!

I can't say for sure, but I think there is a parking lot shuttle at the port. 

Yesterday started with a nice breakfast at Compass Rose. The rest of the morning was quiet.

Then, the Wine Lunch! It was held in Pacific Rim. We were on the wait list then we’re able to clear it and attend. I don’t remember how many people were there but it seemed like a couple dozen or a little more. 

The presentation by Georgiana was interesting and covered key ideas of wine tasting and pairing. The food was very good. There is a photo of the menu below. The wines were new to us and it’s always fun to try new wines. But, the wines were good, not great. We’ve had wines with more depth and character at other wine lunches and wine tastings. Of the wines offered, the Shafer Cab was my favorite. 

We went to the infinity pool after lunch but it was quite the wave pool! It wasn’t closed but we went to the main pool deck instead and tried the hot tub. The temperature is excellent in the hot tubs. Somewhat surprisingly, we found a couple loungers by the pool and hung out there for a while. The pool bar makes a great margarita! Refreshing and not too sweet like some margaritas are. 

We went to the Krew Kapers before dinner. What a wonderful show! There are some very talented performers outside of the entertainment department and they sang a variety of songs and performed some traditional dances from their homelands. 

Dinner was a very nice event. We had a hosted dinner in Compass Rose with GM Franck Galzy and another couple. It was a great menu with lobster risotto, beef Wellington and chocolate soufflé and the other couple graciously shared a bottle of a delicious Châteauneuf du Pape. The soufflé was accompanied by a nice glass of a Poesie dessert wine.

The show was another very funny performance by Troy Thirdgill. If he’s performing on a cruise you’re on, definitely see his show!

After the show, when the CD was wrapping up things from the stage, he asked for  applause from anyone staying on for the next cruise. We were the only ones who clapped! On our way out of the theater, we asked the CD how many were staying on—43 total, he said. This was marketed as an 18 night cruise as well as two separate cruises by Regent so I would have guessed more would stay on. 

We ended the evening with Gino again, and this time with another couple we met at the Wine Lunch. They love Gino as much as we do and we’ll meet them for dinner on the last night of this cruise.

Another sea day today as we head back to Miami. We saw Bob Ray’s final music presentation on One Hit Wonders and we enjoyed it. He’s getting off in Miami so we’ll have a new lecturer. Lunch was at the Pool Grill for their Italian buffet that has some nice items—lasagna, polenta, salami, and pizza margherita to name a few. 

Hanging out this afternoon. 

85F5E976-C6F8-471D-892E-10119EC35238.thumb.jpeg.a2a261290e9fb8678447bb3101b12e59.jpegB62B15AB-05DF-40F4-8A9B-1D1E036B042F.thumb.jpeg.88c0053ddd2dbd10091d289cf63042fa.jpegAEE7CE54-D7F1-4E51-ADC8-3EC07787DE0E.thumb.jpeg.902507c123c88d9056f6dbf679d603c9.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/17/2023 at 9:31 AM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We were recently on Splendor and really enjoyed her.  We have fled Celebrity after many years and dollars and after two cruises on Splendor and Explorer, which we loved, We will be trying the Navigator next.  Regent is a happy fit for us, and your description of what you are looking for in a cruise is exactly where we are.  I hope you love it!

Joanie

Hi Joanie, glad I found you on this board. I have a book series suggestion for you. Author is Steve Higgs, and it’s the Patricia Fisher mysteries. Ten books for .99, Kindle, Amazon. Patricia’s a sleuth onboard a luxury cruise ship. Hope it’s a good read, but for .99, I decided to try. We too have enjoyed Regent and are sailing next May on the new ship, Grandeur. Enjoy! Erin

• Like 2

@asnaleah. Here you go..the updated list.  Thanks for the suggestion!  

FYI, if you don’t know, this is an ongoing list I have kept for several years, compiling book suggestions when we were sailing on Celebrity a lot.  Periodically someone will request it or give suggestions.  I have hesitated to make it a separate post on its’ own for fear of being inundated with suggestions and unable to keep up, but will do so if there seems to be enough interest.  Most are mysteries, but certainly not all.  

Joanie

Book Series to Read

Georges Simenon Series 
Gideon Oliver -Aaron  Elkins  series 
Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series

Any books by Josephine Tey

Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January series, if you like historical mysteries!
JD Robb books and Robert B Parker
The Scarapetta series by Patricia Cornwel
MC Beaton book
Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley Series.  
Donna Leon’s Brunetti series. 
Any books by Tana French
Any books by P. D. James.  
Greg Isles, a writer from Natchez, MS.
Snowblind” by Ragnar Jonasson.  (Book 1 of 6 - DarkIceland)
Cork O’Connor series by William Kent Krueger.  Also non-series books.
Brad Thor
JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter series), writing under the name Robert Galbraith -- the Cormoran Strike series.

Andrea Camilleri -- the Inspector Montalbano series.

Helen Fields -- the Perfect series.

Karin Slaughter -- the Will Trent series, Grant Country Line series. 

Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon series

James Crumley —should be read in order
Winston Graham—Poldark series
Janet Evanovich—Stephanie Plum series.  Fox and Hare series.
Anything by Tim Dorsey or Carl Hiassen 
Old Archie comic books and Mad Magazine. 🙂
Ian Rankin’s Rebus series

Peter Robinson’s DCI Banks series

Nevada Barr’s National Parks series

Anything by Anne Cleeves

Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes - current times

Thomas Pitt series by Anne Perry - Victorian era

(and if you are planning a trip to Egypt check out theAmelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters)

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.  4 books.
The Longmire books by Craig Johnson.  Also suggest the fantastic series on Netflix.
David McCullough 'Path Between the Seas' (Panama Canal), and The Great Bridge
Caroline Graham Inspector Barnaby series. 

John Sandford , the Prey series and the Virgil Flowers series

Any books by Harlan Coben

Khalid Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Kite Runner

Cupcake Brown, A Piece of Cake

Andy Weir, “not science fiction but science plausibility”

Danelle Harmon Series

Caleb Carr -  The Alienist.

Anthony Horowitz, Magpie Murders/Susan Ryeland Series.  Also Horowitz & Hawthorne series

Rex Stout, Nero Wolfe books, later written by Robert Goldsborough

Ruth Ware

Stuart Woods, Stone Barrington series.  #61 just published.

Tess Gerritson

Lisa Scottoline.

Michael Connelly Bosch books

Lee Child Reacher series

James Lee Burke Robicheaux

Patricia Cornell Scarpetta books, Andy Brazil series

Jonathan Kellerman Delaware books

Greg Iles

Jeffrey Deaver Lincoln Rhymes series

Nelson DeMille

John Grisham

Scott Turow

Pat Conroy...more family drama than mystery

The Outlander series

Brad Meltzer

Jonathan Maberry’s Joe Ledger series

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones & The Six (same author)

I just finished American Dirt and loved it so much I bought two more of her books.  

Iris Johanse(EveDuncan series, and others).

Colin Dexter Inspector Morse series

David Baldacci—Amos Decker, Atlee Pine and John Puller series

JA Jance

Karen Rose

Carol Goodman, The Stranger Behind You, plus multiple other books.  Contemporary suspenseful fiction.

Chris Carter -  Robert Hunter Series -   I just started #5 One by One

Jefferson Bass -  Body Farm Series -       Based on the Body Farm at UT Knoxville.    

Joe R. Lansdale -  Hap and Leonard -  probably one of the most politically incorrect novel you will ever 

—read - two Red Necks as they take justice into their own hands.   Keeps me in stitches.

Sara Parestky -  The V.I. Warhawski Series  -  I just started "indemnity Only(1982) and is #1 of 21

Sue Grafton—the Kinsey Milhone series

Ethan Cross—-the Ackerman thrillers

Ginny Rorby—Like Dust I Rise

Jacqueline Winspear—Maisie Dobbs series

Carlos Ruiz Zafón "The Shadow of the Wind", set in Barcelona, with a walking tour at the end of the 

book. Cemetery of Forgotten Books—4 Book series. 

Mark Kurlansky—Cod (good for a Canada/New England cruise)

John U. Bacon—The Great Halifax Explosion 

James Patterson—When the Wind Blows series

Ken Follett—Pillars of the Earth series, Century series, Eye of the Needle

Maiden Voyages: Magnificent Ocean Liners and the Women Who Traveled and Worked Aboard Them by Stan Evans.  This is non-fiction but seems interesting. 

Danger on the Atlantic (A Jane Wunderly Mystery Book 3) by Erica RuthNeubauer

Steve Higgs—Patricia Fisher series. A sleuth on luxury cruise ships.

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I have hesitated to make it a separate post on its’ own for fear of being inundated with suggestions and unable to keep up, but will do so if there seems to be enough interest.

Please make this a separate post so I can find it again! Maybe in the Watercooler? We seem to have very similar tastes, so would love to try some of your list. Wherever it gets put, let us know!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Please make this a separate post so I can find it again! Maybe in the Watercooler? We seem to have very similar tastes, so would love to try some of your list. Wherever it gets put, let us know!

Yes, please, post this to the Watercooler. Then we can add some of our own.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, please, post this to the Watercooler. Then we can add some of our own.

@Wendy The Wandererand @2012_Alaska_bound as requested, I am putting this up as its’ own post and in the watercooler…..it seems to me that it will be easier to find and track if it is the only thing rather than people having to search thru the watercooler, but don’t know for sure.  I’ll attempt to keep it updated.

Joanie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We went to afternoon tea again yesterday. We thought the guitarist from Lemon Duo would be playing but it was Gino instead. That was good too. And just for the record, I left my teabag in the pot and had chocolate treats and not a scone. 😄😄

We met another couple in the Observation Lounge for nice music and pre dinner drinks. I had a “Not Old Fashioned” which was good but I needed to take some of the ice out. 

Dinner was in Setti Mari with our new friends that we met at the Wine Lunch. The conversation was great and the food and wine was as well. I had the carbonara and the veal al limone. A limoncello at the end was perfect! 

After dinner we went to the Beatles show which was in the atrium. What fun! The music went until about 10:30 and people were dancing and singing along with all the songs. Then back up to hear Gino again, then to bed. Lots of luggage in the hallways by now. David Nevin had a wig on to look like one of the Beatles. 

In Miami this morning. Since we are staying on we could be a little more leisurely than most people. Breakfast in La Veranda then those of us continuing on were to meet in the Meridian Lounge at 9:15. Disembarkation was behind schedule though. In Miami, all the luggage needs be off before passengers can disembark. Disembarking started around 8:45am and the last colors were called around 9:45. Everyone needs to get off for at least a short time to get a zero count on board to keep US immigration happy. We got off around 10am. 

• Like 2

After we left the Splendor to get a zero count we took a short Lyft ride to CVS to get a couple items, then back to the ship. We had to wait till about 11 to get back on and there was some uncertainty among the port security when we first tried to get on. The wait was short as it turned out. Back to our suite then onto the pool deck. Yay! We finally got a nice double lounger. The margaritas are still great and we split the truffle burger. It was very tasty. A dip in the pool and the hot tub, then back to the suite and relax on our very nice balcony. It’s really nice to stay on for a back-to-back cruise! 

I forgot to add that we booked another cruise on board—March 2024 on the Grandeur from Miami to New York in a Superior Suite. We’ll save a fair amount compared to the Concierge Suite so we can pick our own hotel. We’ll lose out on the coffee maker and binoculars. 

We went up to see Gino play before dinner then off to dinner at Prime 7. We had a wonderful time at a shared table with another couple. The prime rib was good and I got the wedge salad with blue cheese dressing this time, and the popcorn caramel sundae again! 

The Welcome Aboard show was a little different this time and just as good. Then up to see Gino in the Observation Lounge. 

The vibe on board is much, much different than the last cruise. What a difference a cruise makes! This passenger mix is younger and more talkative, even too loud. Interrupting Gino while he’s playing to make a request and practically drowning out his playing. And dirty dancing to Elton John (something that may never have been written before!). There are some groups on here with travel agents, a construction company and more. Some families too, including two toddlers. I miss the old vibe from the last cruise. I’ll stick to cruises more than a week long in the future. 

Today was the wine sampler—most/all of the included wines were available for tastings this morning (morning wine!). If that was offered last cruise, we completely missed it. This cruise it wasn’t in the listing in Passages but rather noted off to the side, so maybe we missed it earlier.

The pool deck was very busy so we went to Chartreuse for lunch. That was quieter until someone started a FaceTime call during lunch! I had the grilled salmon and enjoyed it. Then back to the Observation Lounge for some quiet time, and someone was on the phone loudly there too, but fortunately only briefly. 

• Like 1

Interesting about the change in demographics.  The Jan/21st Splendor cruise was probably the oldest group we've cruised with. Of course, we've been aging along with everyone else; we first cruised in 2000, 23 years ago, yikes! The older demographic meant that my creaky joints getting up and down from dining, and my slow limp along the corridors was not even worthy of a glance; I blended in perfectly!

• Haha 2

I sure agree with "Cruiser from Maine" about avoiding BTB cruises with a 7 day segment.  Pre Covid  we were on a 17 day BTB cruise on Voyager in the Caribbean.  The first 10 day segment was a wonderful Regent experience.  On the second 7 day segment 75 passengers stayed on. The remainder of the passengers consisted of 2 corporate "incentive" groups.  Each group had 300 people. One group consisted of Realtors with families included. This group was Ok with the exception of monopolizing several public spaces.  The other group was an Insurance Company and was made up of 25 to 30ish couples.  They were a NIGHTMARE. Examples included partial nudity, vomit, broken glass and beer bottles IN  the pool.  One night in Prime 7 we were seated next to a table of 6 for a 9 o'clock reservation.  That table ordered 18 entrees for 6 people, at 9 0'clock.  We felt so sorry for the Staff.  Suffice to say none of the 75 continuing guests were happy.  I now personally avoid any 7 day Caribbean Cruise.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BettyDol said:

I sure agree with "Cruiser from Maine" about avoiding BTB cruises with a 7 day segment.  Pre Covid  we were on a 17 day BTB cruise on Voyager in the Caribbean.  The first 10 day segment was a wonderful Regent experience.  On the second 7 day segment 75 passengers stayed on. The remainder of the passengers consisted of 2 corporate "incentive" groups.  Each group had 300 people. One group consisted of Realtors with families included. This group was Ok with the exception of monopolizing several public spaces.  The other group was an Insurance Company and was made up of 25 to 30ish couples.  They were a NIGHTMARE. Examples included partial nudity, vomit, broken glass and beer bottles IN  the pool.  One night in Prime 7 we were seated next to a table of 6 for a 9 o'clock reservation.  That table ordered 18 entrees for 6 people, at 9 0'clock.  We felt so sorry for the Staff.  Suffice to say none of the 75 continuing guests were happy.  I now personally avoid any 7 day Caribbean Cruise.

Now you have me a bit concerned.  Do not recall reading about these issues previously - but imagine it has been addressed.  We are about to embark on a btb out of Miami - with the second leg being 7 days.  Thank goodness we have a balcony to retreat to if need be.  Will remain optimistic and enjoy ourselves - and hopefully meet new people.

36 minutes ago, carolina cruisin said:

From the paperwork I received - Terminal J

For those driving, If I recall correctly, J is the easiest to get to, and there is a large parking garage right there.  But as it departs on a Wednesday, most parking spaces are likely to be taken by the weekend to weekend crowd.