Mexico Implements Public Smoking Ban

4_THE_HALIBUT

This will be interesting to see. Does the ship count as a hotel while in port, lol. If not then I assume a lot of smokers will just stay on board. The article is short but I'm assuming it means ZERO smoking designated areas in Mexican public spaces? Only in private residences? So would a "smoking club" or shop count as private? If so I'd expect them to pop up at every single port/hotel/shopping center ect in Mexico. Don't know though. I don't smoke but I have friends that do. Chances are Mexico is now off the table for them. 

Not a smoker but I know cruisers who are. This bit from the article had me wondering if it will effect the Duty Free shops.

"There will also be a total ban on the advertising, promotion and sponsorship of tobacco products, meaning that cigarettes cannot even be on show inside shops."

This part caught my eye - "With police corruption so rampant in Mexico, many fear that rather than issuing real fines or punishments for smoking in public, some officers will use it as a pretext for taking bribes."  

This could get very interesting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

This is what the nice folks at Paradise Beach told me:

1221065101_pbss1.jpg.3de278ab1d76f4a45f7986552eaebab0.jpg

And when I asked for clarification just to make sure, he said:  "Yes our beach is a private beach! IF changes need to be made, we will likely just have to create designated smoking areas."

Very confusing.  If it is a "private beach" and thus except from the law, wouldn't hotels, restaurants, and such, also be "private property? "

Also, could the cruise ships themselves be considered hotels? 

Too bad that article did not go into more specifics. And, if currently unknown how the law will be interpreted and enforced, it should say so specifically. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

This is what the nice folks at Paradise Beach told me:

1221065101_pbss1.jpg.3de278ab1d76f4a45f7986552eaebab0.jpg

And when I asked for clarification just to make sure, he said:  "Yes our beach is a private beach! IF changes need to be made, we will likely just have to create designated smoking areas."

Bummer.  Was hoping it applied there as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ibarrio said:

I don't want to get hit up for a bribe. Looks like I will buy a few cigars and smoke them on the boat. Do you know if we have to remove Cuban labels before we get off in Long Beach? 

I don't think so. I grabbed some Cubans every time, and have never had an issue in Long Beach getting off

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:41 PM, adonisr said:

This part caught my eye - "With police corruption so rampant in Mexico, many fear that rather than issuing real fines or punishments for smoking in public, some officers will use it as a pretext for taking bribes."  

This could get very interesting.

Exactly what I came here to say. The police are beyond corrupt. Interesting they choose smoking as the first "drug" they attack. 

• Like 1

I was in Cozumel this week. Was not aware of this no smoking in public places. We were shopping at the cruise port. I did ask one of the store workers "can I smoke here" they said yes. Had I known different I would not have smoked until I got back onboard. 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:03 AM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Very confusing.  If it is a "private beach" and thus except from the law, wouldn't hotels, restaurants, and such, also be "private property? "

Also, could the cruise ships themselves be considered hotels? 

Too bad that article did not go into more specifics. And, if currently unknown how the law will be interpreted and enforced, it should say so specifically. 

Thus, a great increase in Mexican cops/officials, secret secondary income! 

Auto- exhaust (smoke) is the bigger issue in Mexico. Their motor vehicles aren't required to have catalytic converters and the exhaust smoke not only pollutes it gives people headaches. 

I don't see the new law being enforced for public tobacco smoking in Mexico. Maybe in a few decades it will happen.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:35 AM, Jasonsterling said:

I assume a lot of smokers will just stay on board.

I wouldn't expect that would be the case, unless it was a port they were rather indifferent about and didn't really care whether they got off or not.  I doubt many would miss a port they were interested in just because it meant they had to go a few hours without a cigarette. Presumably smokers regularly spend that long without a cigarette if going to restaurants, shows, movies, work, flights, etc.

Enforcement will likely be non-existent in any event.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

We (a party of 13 adults) were at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel last week and it was strictly enforced. I am not a smoker but the 3 in our party had to go somewhere away from the beach and people to smoke.

We were very surprised by this, especially the enforcement. This just doesn't seem like something Mexico would bother with.