Eden Australia

Looking for info on Eden. NCL Shuttle is $15 pp. Is there a public bus service? Not sure if it's worth the shuttle cost, if there's not much to see on Eden. Are there shops or tour opportunities near the dock? I've searched for info on Google, but not having much luck. Thanks,  in advance, for any info! 

1 hour ago, Cruisingmarmi said:

Looking for info on Eden. NCL Shuttle is $15 pp. Is there a public bus service? Not sure if it's worth the shuttle cost, if there's not much to see on Eden. Are there shops or tour opportunities near the dock? I've searched for info on Google, but not having much luck. Thanks,  in advance, for any info! 

Eden is not far from me, 3  hours, been there many times. Small town, uphill from dock., about a 1 mile walk. No local buses from dock to town.  Ships run the shuttles like you said.  In town, couple of supermarkets, pharmacy, liquor store, pub, banks, etc.

A Welcome Centre dockside (pictured)and a few market stalls selling handicrafts etc on cruise ship days. Meeters and greeters will be there, suggesting things to do. I doubt if there will be independent tour operators there, but there might be. Whale watch tours also go from that area. They are good. Is NCL offering shorex? Might be a good idea for you to see around the area.eden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-2874-3.jpg.5e1e744ddeb90eae538de5a40a747c43.jpgeden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-0936-3.jpg.f0810c272b232c8f6715b0e7d3998dae.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisingmarmi said:

$15 shuttle into town is a rip-off. Other cruise lines have been providing this as a free service, in conjunction with the port.

If you are somewhat mobile, it is not a long walk, but there is a hill to negotiate on the way up into town. There are a few nice vantage points over the port as you make your way up. At the top, there is a whale museum and a short walk from there into the main street. There is not a lot of shops, but that depends on what you are looking for. There are some nice cafe's and we spent a fair bit of time in a shop that had all sorts of stones and charms.

I think some tours are available inside the welcome centre next to the dock, but I didn't pay close attention. There are also some market stalls. I hope the weather is kind to you, as Eden is a lovely town when the sun is shining.

Eden Welcome Centre | Port Authority New South Wales (portauthoritynsw.com.au)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

$15 shuttle into town is a rip-off. Other cruise lines have been providing this as a free service, in conjunction with the port.

If you are somewhat mobile, it is not a long walk, but there is a hill to negotiate on the way up into town. There are a few nice vantage points over the port as you make your way up. At the top, there is a whale museum and a short walk from there into the main street. There is not a lot of shops, but that depends on what you are looking for. There are some nice cafe's and we spent a fair bit of time in a shop that had all sorts of stones and charms.

I think some tours are available inside the welcome centre next to the dock, but I didn't pay close attention. There are also some market stalls. I hope the weather is kind to you, as Eden is a lovely town when the sun is shining.

Eden Welcome Centre | Port Authority New South Wales (portauthoritynsw.com.au)

Thank you so much! We'll  walk! We also hope to enjoy the wharf area and have an enjoyabe "nature" day. Our other Port plans are packed. It will be nice to have a laid back kind of day. Hopeful for good weather, as well. 🤞

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Eden is not far from me, 3  hours, been there many times. Small town, uphill from dock., about a 1 mile walk. No local buses from dock to town.  Ships run the shuttles like you said.  In town, couple of supermarkets, pharmacy, liquor store, pub, banks, etc.

A Welcome Centre dockside (pictured)and a few market stalls selling handicrafts etc on cruise ship days. Meeters and greeters will be there, suggesting things to do. I doubt if there will be independent tour operators there, but there might be. Whale watch tours also go from that area. They are good. Is NCL offering shorex? Might be a good idea for you to see around the area.eden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-2874-3.jpg.5e1e744ddeb90eae538de5a40a747c43.jpgeden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-0936-3.jpg.f0810c272b232c8f6715b0e7d3998dae.jpg

Thanks so much for your help! We may just walk around and enjoy the wharf area and nature. I've considered the 2 hour harbor tour but it doesn't seem to run on Tues., the day we're there. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Eden is a working seaside village rather than a tourist town. That said it's a pretty place with some fantastic scenery on and off the ship.

The other thing about Eden is that it's hilly and the hills are quite steep. But if you enjoy walking it's a nice area to walk around. Especially as has been said the weather is good.

Suggest you turn right as you leave the wharf firstly and head up to the Fisherman's Memorial and close by Twofold Bay lookout. Then take the Rotary Walk to the Marine Rescue Centre, take a seat check out the views.

Then walk back towards the wharf and using the path walk up the hill on the northern side of the wharf and follow that path to Aislings Beach taking in more spectacular views at lookouts and rest points along the way. When you get to the beach you're likely to see about 2 kms of empty beach.

As has been said, shops in Eden are limited but there's some reasonable cafes on the main street.

For an interesting take on Eden seek out Fraser cruising on YT a Scot who visited in October on Majestic Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galesa said:

Eden is a working seaside village rather than a tourist town. That said

1 hour ago, Galesa said:

Eden is a working seaside village rather than a tourist town. That said it's a pretty place with some fantastic scenery on and off the ship.

The other thing about Eden is that it's hilly and the hills are quite steep. But if you enjoy walking it's a nice area to walk around. Especially as has been said the weather is good.

Suggest you turn right as you leave the wharf firstly and head up to the Fisherman's Memorial and close by Twofold Bay lookout. Then take the Rotary Walk to the Marine Rescue Centre, take a seat check out the views.

Then walk back towards the wharf and using the path walk up the hill on the northern side of the wharf and follow that path to Aislings Beach taking in more spectacular views at lookouts and rest points along the way. When you get to the beach you're likely to see about 2 kms of empty beach.

As has been said, shops in Eden are limited but there's some reasonable cafes on the main street.

For an interesting take on Eden seek out Fraser cruising on YT a Scot who visited in October on Majestic Princess.

Great tips, and this sounds like what I'm hoping to do! Thank you so much! I'm going to print it to take fir our trip. 

48 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I had a live thread for it here too, but I reckon his was likely more interesting.

We stopped at Eden on the Azamara recently and the local council provided free shuttle buses.  Everybody very helpful .   It is a hilly walk to the town👵👵

• Like 4