Travel Insurance

CruisinRoxy

I've used 3rd party travel insurance in the past, never had to file  claim so don't know how the service would be.

For upcoming trips I'm going to try to go with the coverage provided by one of my credit cards. 

I started cruising in 1980 and never got it. I was young and lucky. As I’ve gotten older and started traveling internationally, I get insurance through Allianz. I have a yearly coverage right now, because I had several cruises booked within the year.

• Like 1

I never buy the cruise line insurance.  Their medical coverage isn't really enough if something major occurs.  www.insuremytrip.com or www.squaremouth.com are good options for insurance.  For our last cruise I decided to only buy medical insurance, as we could afford to lose the cost of the cruise.  We had booked it less than 40 days out.  Next cruise, a TA in April-May, have insured both the cruise and medical primary coverage. Secondary coverage means you have to go through your regular health insurance before using the cruise insurance.

• Like 3

Just now, hancock said:

Not all US health insurance covers you once you are out of the country.  Be aware.  Check your insurance!

That's great advice.  Everyone should check their pre-existing insurance to see what it covers and what it doesn't cover.

48 minutes ago, CruisinRoxy said:

I’m just curious as to how many of you cruisers always get Travel Insurance?

Always!  "Never leave home without it". 

And do you use the cruise line or an outside source?  

Depends on the deal and what's being offered by the cruise line/travel agency/independent sources.  When it comes to travel insurance, I get lazy, sometimes, and just go with the cruise line or whatever the TA is offering. But, I've done all the above.  

Due to age I always purchase insurance for travel. Use Allianz. Have had one claim. $ 1700 from on ship medical care.

The claim was paid in full.

Gives the wife and I peace of mind knowing if something does happen we are covered.

• Like 3

And check your coverage once you reach 65 . 

My credit card coverage only goes to 4 days of coverage rather that the 7 days

it used to offer.

And you need to have stability with meds 180 days rather than 90 days.

And some wont cover you if you have two comorbidities.

This is what i found out up here in Canada.

What do you want to insure against?  First thing to know is that travel insurance is reimbursement only in 99.5% of instances. Second, travel insurance is not a catch all in every situation. Each instance is defined as to what is and what is not covered.

In my situation, I can afford the loss of the cruise if I need to cancel. What I cannot afford is the potential financial devastation of a major medical emergency. So, I share the medical risk with travel insurance and I self insure everything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinRoxy said:

I’m just curious as to how many of you cruisers always get Travel Insurance? And do you use the cruise line or an outside source?  

Cruise line insurance has its benefits and its downfalls

benefits

- it is based on age so it provides inexpensive coverage for older travelers.

- it can be added to your booking up until final payment

- it has a 90% CFAR component

downfall

- 25K in medical and $50K in evac are way too low IMO.

3 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

In the event of a death in a family scenario...is there an insurance that can be purchased in case we have to cancel? Thank you.

*MIL will be on dialysis.

A death would be a covered reason and every policy that I have seen would cover this.  It covers immediate family and mother/ MIL is immediate family like a brother or child.

Sorry to hear that.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

I never get travel insurance. I have medical coverage when overseas, and I have medical transport coverage. So the only thing I'd be insuring is the loss of the cost of the cruise.  Under those circumstances, unless you have a personal situation that dramatically increases the odds of having to do that, self insuring is better. 

Basically, travel insurance can provide peace of mind, but is NEVER considered your best investment opportunity.  There are much better ways to take that money and realize the gain.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A death would be a covered reason and every policy that I have seen would cover this.  It covers immediate family and mother/ MIL is immediate family like a brother or child.

Sorry to hear that.

Ken, thanks...e

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Ken, thanks...e

Make sure you research further. Sounds like you would have to purchase a policy that waived Pre-existing medical conditions.

Yes, family members not traveling with you fall under this stipulation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I never get travel insurance. I have medical coverage when overseas, and I have medical transport coverage. So the only thing I'd be insuring is the loss of the cost of the cruise.  Under those circumstances, unless you have a personal situation that dramatically increases the odds of having to do that, self insuring is better. 

Basically, travel insurance can provide peace of mind, but is NEVER considered your best investment opportunity.  There are much better ways to take that money and realize the gain.

I bought insurance for a couple of cruises I had booked during covid but wound up getting cruise credits.  I have an upcoming cruise that I would like to insure but I don't know how it works.  My medical is covered but I am strictly looking to insure for the cost of the cruise if possible as there is a personal situation that may cause me to cancel the cruise.  I only put $200 down for the cruise so losing that wouldn't be a big deal but if I lost the entire cruise amount that would hurt (over $7,000).  Is there any type of insurance that would cover that?  And what reasons?  TIA for your help!

Check your credit card perks.  I have Chase Sapphire and that comes with travel insurance as long as 100% of the costs is charged to the card.  They cover $10k per a person up to $20k total.  I had a Europe trip planned and had a death to an immediate family member and had to cancel.  I was able to get 100% of my costs back with no push back for the company.  Just needed to submit the receipts and cancellation policies.

• Like 2