The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday January 18th, 2023

rafinmd

@atexsixCarnival in Alaska is totally different than Carnival in the Caribbean.  There is a naturalist on board, lots of films about Alaska to see, and  even the shore excursion talks were not bad.  No there is not a lot of classical music on board,  but the ship was not bomb blasted with the constant  techno music. Local storyu tellers, artists and musicians were brought on board to sing, and tell stories.  Folks did not stay up late partying, it was all about the Alaskan experience.  Now that was 2016 when we did Alaska in September, but I doubt if it changes much.  We visited Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau and Glacier Bay for a day (incredible).  Our next cruise there in May is on HAL, only because the person who is paying for the cruise (we are responsible for the excursions and hotel stays, and things to do in Vancouver) booked it for where it was going rather than the line itself.  I have no idea why Carnival gets such a bad wrap.  Prices are always good, food is good, ports and excursions are good, and a cruise no matter what line you are on, is what you make it.  Some ships spoil you more than others, that is true.  But I have a funny feeling that HAL is not going to spoil me for my first cruise  with them, any more than being Platinum on Carnival does.  Which is pretty much never. 

I am very happy that you are about to book a cruise with your father.  I hope that you have a great time!

I love Alaska, and am very grateful to our BFF who wanted to go back.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good Afternoon,

A few of you were asking, so here's our booking update:

Well I spent the bulk of last evening and today tracking down accessible suites on HAL and Princess for this fall, I just don't want to chance Dad's ability to stand up and walk a few steps.  Both sailings are in September, both to Alaska, and both fairly comparable; I have no suite experience on Princess, but I have stayed in Neptunes.  So much was already booked up that it's a miracle we found something, particularly with HAL because accessible suites are pretty limited.  And I had countless website issues with both lines, what would life be like if we didn't have website problems, it's amazing cruise lines manage to stay in business.  Anyway, we just have to make a decision between the two, but we're leaning toward HAL of course, Eurodam is a favorite ship and we will never criticize the Crow's Nest again after not having it at all on our last cruise, honestly I'll get down and kiss the floor.  But that's one reason we wanted to try another cruise line, it puts a lot in perspective.  Incidentally we looked at the Haven and laughed, what  NCL called a "penthouse" looked like a broom closet.  Celebrity had no availability, and Royal Caribbean, a line we've never sailed was also pretty much sold out at the suite level.  Carnival I wouldn't dream of trying.  And Oceania didn't have anything in September. 

The HAL Alaska itinerary is a lot less expensive, but we like the Princess port stops better.  The Princess penthouse suites on Royal have a nicer layout with being able to close off the bedroom area, however the size of the Neptune balcony compared to Princess is laughable.  So I'll give it all a bit more thought, but I welcome everybody's opinions.  

It rained off/on all day and it's cold, much more January like than the last couple of weeks that were starting to feel like early spring.  

Dad's okay and we're meeting with two nurses tomorrow for another assessment, although this time it's with the V.A. and will be permanent rather than the shorter in duration Medicare home health.  

Hope all of you are having a good day.

~Bruno

Morning Bruno.

Our experience with Royal Caribbean is some Suites become available at 3 months from sailing when final payment is due and lots of Americans cancel and get back their refundable deposits.

Our last 3 RCL cruises we have been contacted by Royal Up to make bids to upgrade from our balcony cabin to suites.

Graham.

• Like 1

Bruno,

I have been in both HAL's Neptune Suite and Princess' Penthouse Suite on the Royal. However, on the Royal Princess I was on a lower deck in a wrap-around which had a nice balcony. I think the benefits on Princess are better in that you get a complimentary specialty dining dinner on embarkation night, have Club Class Dining for dinner and lunch on sea days, and complimentary mini bar set up. Breakfast for suite guests was in Sabatini's restaurant or Club class dining room. The rest of the benefits are similar. I did not make much use of the Concierge Lounge on Princess as I was on a lower deck although I did take advantage of the foods for a light lunch. Whichever line you choose, I am sure you and your dad will have an enjoyable time. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good Afternoon,

A few of you were asking, so here's our booking update:

Well I spent the bulk of last evening and today tracking down accessible suites on HAL and Princess for this fall, I just don't want to chance Dad's ability to stand up and walk a few steps.  Both sailings are in September, both to Alaska, and both fairly comparable; I have no suite experience on Princess, but I have stayed in Neptunes.  So much was already booked up that it's a miracle we found something, particularly with HAL because accessible suites are pretty limited.  And I had countless website issues with both lines, what would life be like if we didn't have website problems, it's amazing cruise lines manage to stay in business.  Anyway, we just have to make a decision between the two, but we're leaning toward HAL of course, Eurodam is a favorite ship and we will never criticize the Crow's Nest again after not having it at all on our last cruise, honestly I'll get down and kiss the floor.  But that's one reason we wanted to try another cruise line, it puts a lot in perspective.  Incidentally we looked at the Haven and laughed, what  NCL called a "penthouse" looked like a broom closet.  Celebrity had no availability, and Royal Caribbean, a line we've never sailed was also pretty much sold out at the suite level.  Carnival I wouldn't dream of trying.  And Oceania didn't have anything in September. 

The HAL Alaska itinerary is a lot less expensive, but we like the Princess port stops better.  The Princess penthouse suites on Royal have a nicer layout with being able to close off the bedroom area, however the size of the Neptune balcony compared to Princess is laughable.  So I'll give it all a bit more thought, but I welcome everybody's opinions.  

It rained off/on all day and it's cold, much more January like than the last couple of weeks that were starting to feel like early spring.  

Dad's okay and we're meeting with two nurses tomorrow for another assessment, although this time it's with the V.A. and will be permanent rather than the shorter in duration Medicare home health.  

Hope all of you are having a good day.

~Bruno

Bruno,  Look at post #53 for my opinion. Should have quoted you to get the notification feature. I forget about thatl