The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday January 18th, 2023

rafinmd

Today is Thesaurus Day, Winnie the Pooh Day, and National Gourmet Coffee Day

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. - E. M. Forster

Meal Suggestion for today - Mexican Beef 'N Rice Skillet
Drink of the Day - Brown Derby
Wine of the Day - Château Beau-Séjour Bécot St.-Emilion 2019
Destination of the Day - Monterey CA, California

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 15:00 Arrive

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii eta 1-20

Nieuw Amsterdam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 07:00 - 23:30

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 07:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 14:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Phillipsburg, St Maartin 0700 - 1700

Volendam

At Sea Destination Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile eta 1-19

Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 10:00 - 20:00

Zuiderdam

Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Polynesia 08:00 - 23:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 1-20

Westerdam

Singapore 07:00 - 16:00

Capture1.JPG.6c4d3d550c9f94dcd97e82fea80b4ff4.JPG

Capture2.jpg.d5b63d827dc41e34bddcb584c30810ca.jpg

Roy posting for Rich

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

33°F sunny but cold here.

Thank you Roy for giving us the opportunity to participate every day with a new Daily.

I love Gourmet coffee.

We have been to Walt Disney world many times and like all the characters.

As a child I regularly read a Thesaurus book and dictionary to learn words.

Interesting quote.

Nice food today.

Prayers 🙏 for all our Dailyites who they will help.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230118_111718.jpg

IMG_20230118_112332.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool day with chance of showers.  Very strange weather for January.

I love my Thesaurus.  I remember reading  Winnie the Pooh in my younger years, maybe I should re-read the stories.  Gourmet coffee sounds like a good idea.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning everyone.  Thanks Roy for the daily report.  What a nice collection of days, love Winney the Pooh!  I like the quote as well, be open to the unexpected.  The meal suggestion sounds very.  I think I may have been to a wedding reception in today’s port many years ago, I do remember that it was a lovely place.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 25

Good  morning.  We had a Brown Derby in our town when I was young,, too young to order this.

Brown Derby Cocktail:

Ingredients

2 oz. bourbon
1 oz. grapefruit juice
½ oz. rich honey syrup (3:1)
Tools:shaker, strainer
Glass:cocktail
Preparation
Shake ingredients with ice until chilled, then strain into a chilled glass.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 6.53.44 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Good morning friends!  It is 55F with dense fog outside.  We should move up to around 68 with a chance of afternoon showers.  Thanks to our friends Rich @richwmnand Roy @rafinmdfor producing our Daily and Fleet Report.  Those are some varied days to celebrate - Winnie the Pooh along with Thesaurus Day and gourmet coffee.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like a good substitute word once in a while.  The quote is interesting, and the Mexican Beef 'n' Rice Skillet sounds good.  I think I'll pass on the drink and wine - again.  Our port today is Monterey, CA which is a lovely place and was posted here twice before.  Details below.

Prayers for all on the Care list today which I'm sure is coming soon.  In addition there was a terrible helicopter crash in Urkraine next to a day care killing several children and the Interior Minister.  May they all rest in peace.🙏  Cheers to our Celebration list people and may all on cruises have a great day.

Thanks to all for your good advice yesterday and anecdotes of your own cruise nightmares thanks to unwelcome cruise passengers.  We will work this out somehow.  Final payment isn't until late April.

Today's port is Monterey, California which was our port on Dec. 1, 2021 and September 25, 2022.  I'm pretty sure I haven't been to Monterey, though when we lived in Northern California we did drive along the Pacific Coast Highway once on our way back from a Southern California trip to see DH's uncle.  A good way to get car sick!  Here are links to Rich's posts in case you want to retrieve your photos.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful and safe day.

• Like 27

Good morning.  What a nice collection of days today!  Good coffee, Pooh, enriched language from the thesaurus— very nice. I like the quote, too.  It’s been years since I’ve been to Monterey.  That port has been canceled on us a couple of times, due to high seas.

I received a label maker for Christmas, so today will be spent labeling everything I can get my hands on.  January organizing.

In other news, our Costco ran out of eggs again.

2172E507-A165-4E6D-B79A-CD9CEC426765.jpeg.0c161c159de9a4b54670253885cfde5e.jpeg

Everyone, have a great day!

• Like 22
  • Haha 9

Good morning Daily-ites.

Prayers quietly lifted this morning from our balcony before docking in St. Maarten: 

0118230550.thumb.jpg.5b685fff3cad54c2c2fea762fe256a2d.jpg

0118230529.thumb.jpg.e586655106641b2945e0e76f5dd7ad7a.jpg

Looks to be a beautiful morning for going ashore. 

Sandi, my suggestion is to wait til March. Send them a note you will be sailing with friends and wish them a safe cruise. I prayed so hard to be able to forgive Allen's sister for an unforgivable issue. I finally forgave, but will never forget. We've been estranged since Allen's mom passed away in 1999..

Have a wonderfully happy day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I celebrate coffee every morning.

FA15E73C-77E5-444D-9FA5-FC63FE84E53F.jpeg.c974ad21116108e51d4c969a79b4ef6e.jpeg

The $1 deposit sale brought a lot of traffic to the HAL site.  I was just “looking” but kept getting error messages and decided to call my PCC.  My friend has been asking me to join her on a Taste of Norway, Scotland, Scandinavia cruise.  After looking at all the available specials we decided to book one that included the crew appreciation in the HIA package.  The $1 sale brought me to the site but I ultimately paid a refundable deposit.  I guess the promotion is working.

@Seasick Sailor @ger_77 I hope you are enjoying the Rotterdam. We sail at the beginning of February.  I saw a picture of sign by the Seaview pool stating that it was adults only (yeah!) and chair hogs would have their belongings removed after 20 minutes.  Cheers to the reinstatement of this policy and to all who are sailing or celebrating.

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  

Edited by 0106
  • Like 28

Thank you Rich & Roy for today’s Report & Daily. It was already 50 this morning and the sun is blindingly bright!  

Had a wonderful night at the local wine bar and found an amazing Italian red blend developed by a group of vintners from seven different regions using seven different grapes. It might need to breath a bit for some, but the majority of those trying it enjoyed their first sip out of the bottle. I just have to share this with you red blend lovers. I found this online for as low as $14.99.

2FD30259-7B59-462E-B41E-5BD40FAFCDDE.jpeg.21106b0e2acdc2263a490fcdffb0597a.jpeg

Off to the gym. Then Bindi walks, chores, and my HIIT class. It looks to be another lovely day here. 

81C86F0B-C263-4721-B29E-2959B676218F.jpeg.11eab4779daef5cd92a53dc67e0f9849.jpeg

I have been waiting for just the right day for this one - what better than Thesaurus Day?

264075E8-6BF7-48F8-9C1D-E06615B49E9F.jpeg.10c11e95dc1fbdf0248f81549e082cb9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support especially Sarah, Tana, Kathi and Jacqui. Cheers to all who need our support. Get well & stay well everyone!

Château Beau-Séjour Bécot St.-Emilion 2019

I am beginning to suspect that Rich or even Roy is testing my abilities. Or perhaps they want to see if it is time to upgrade my decoder ring.  This Bordeaux red blend sounds amazing. This vintage will be released in March, so consider this info a trailer, or a teaser. Excellent - superb ratings from the critics. Several online distributors are offering pre-release prices starting at $59.98. You might want to let this one sit in your “cellar” for at least a year. 

Reviews

The nose is elegant, and racy, marked by its terroir, and offers power (full of finesse), and aromatic complexity as well as a multi-layered side. It reveals notes of wild blackberries, crushed small black fruits, and small notes of crushed strawberries associated with touches of violet, cornflowers, bright blue berries, tonka bean, slight hints of lilies, violet as well as discreet hints of black tea, camphor, a discreet hint of pepper and vanilla pod. The palate is elegant, very finely tight, and offers finesse, delicacy, gourmandize, a beautiful definition, precision, a pretty shiny fruit, a fine sapidity, precision, tension, a beautiful juicy/pulpy/acidulous fruit, a good finesse of the fat, an almost aerial side as well as a beautiful guideline. On the palate, this wine expresses notes of pulpy/juicy blackberry, bright cassis, and small notes of raspberry associated with touches of juicy small black fruits as well as hints of licorice / zan, black tea, slight hints of blond tobacco, toasted and a very discreet hint of camphor / dark chocolate. Tannins are elegant, well-built, fine, racy and finely enveloping. A beautiful wine! ~97 VertdeVin

Rich plum color. This takes its time to open, is pretty subtle at first, but then explodes in juicy fruit. Clear salinity where you can feel the slate scrape of the limestone terroir, alongside well-expressed aromatics with touches of peony flowers. Elegant and succulent. Second vintage with Jean de Cournuaud as technical director. A yield of 46hl/ha. 65% new oak, with a mix of barrels and 20hl casks. 3.77pH. Harvest 18-21 September, with all the Merlots in 3.5 days instead of the usual 11 days (and in fact stretched over one month in 2018), with just 20 minutes from picking to vat. Thomas Duclos consultant. ~96 Decanter

Plums, currants, pine cones, mushrooms and bark on the nose. Some licorice, too. It’s medium-bodied with tightly knit tannins. Tight and fresh with fantastic tension and drive. Refined and focused. Spicy and lightly salty at the end. ~96 James Suckling.

This delivers a tumble of ripe raspberry, plum and boysenberry fruit flavors, lined with violet, red tea, and sweet tobacco notes that add lift and range. The long, racy, chalk-lined finish leaves a pure feel that's not easy to achieve in this vintage. Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. Best from 2024 through 2038. ~95 Wine Spectator

Dark ruby garnet, violet reflections, subtle lightening of the edges. Fine precious wood spice, black heart cherries, some licorice, delicate nougat and figs, attractive bouquet. Juicy, fresh currants, lively structure, fine, supporting tannins, an individual style that encourages drinking, red berry finish. Safe development potential. ~94 Falstaff

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Thanks for Wednesday Daily, Roy.

Boy, today’s quote sure hits home.  

Met my new doctor yesterday and she even had translated the reports from Puerto Vallarta.  She gave me permission to double my pain med for now, Was concerned about the blue hand but my capillaries are good And I did get commended for putting my hand up to help reduce the swelling and the blood from flowing to it.  

She was concerned about the splint and suspects it either needs to be replaced or whatever the orthopaedic surgeon decides needs to go on it and wanted to follow up with the orthopaedic surgeon right away.

She checked the old records to see what orthopaedic surgeon I had before, asked if I liked him which I did and I commented that he was very good.  Told her I tried to get an appointment with him but his receptionist said no.

She said great – he’s on call today – I’m calling him right away and seeing if I can get you in to see him. By the time I got home I had a squeezed in appointment to see him today at the hospital. It will be a long wait because I am being squeezed in but with luck Wi-Fi will work and I can one finger on my ipad.  Dictation isn’t going to be allowed there LOL.

I just hope he is happy with the progress and there are no problems.

Prayers for everyone on the care list, those that need them and cheers for all celebrating.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. The days are great to celebrate and I look forward  to the recipe.We have not been to the port.

@kazu, Jacqui, I am so glad you got squeezed in for  your ortho  doc.I hope the splint situation  gets resolved.I am sorry that the pain is so bad.

@StLouisCruisers, I hope you are able to go on your cruise with Debbie and Sue without drama.The situation  sounds very difficult.

@grapau27,  Graham, I sure hope Sarah is in less pain and receives her injections soon.

We are managing  today without an aide and so far, so good.I am able to physically  assist again when needed and Tana and I muddle along. Dinner plans include bean and cheese enchiladas  and we both love them.I am glad she feels like eating  today.

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Hello fellow CC members and day lees. I need some help. I know there are guidelines as to content on this forum. I have a cruise story from my last cruise, on the N. Statendam that I would like to share but it maybe a little out of boards of the guidelines. A photo of a little nudity that I have tried to block out, something we have all seen in public. What to y’all think. Just last week I took a post from Copper10-8 of a man dressed in women’s formal wear on a dress code thread on HAL, posted it on a similar thread on dress code on Celebrity and in two hours my paste and post was removed. Go figure. 

• Like 8

Good morning! We arrived home twenty minutes later than scheduled. Sue was headed to bed at 7:30 and I struggled to nine. I used to utilize a thesaurus quite often during my military career for speeches and writings but now you get whatever spews out of my mouth. I so rarely write these days I struggle with my penmanship.

Really missing having a latte alfresco and being waited on hand and foot but so Blessed we get to experience our cruises over and over again.

On our last day of cruise we attended a Q&A with Captain, HD and Chief Engineer. It really opened our eyes as the daily supply issues they struggle with every day. Not getting enough black pants for crew or officers waiting until last week to receive scabbard rank insignias to wear on their epaulets. Certain wines and liquors never arrive, bottled glassware shortage due to gas shortage in Europe. One really has to cruise with an open mind and patience these days. HD stated “ yes we had no bananas on a particular cruise when the order was rejected at port due to they were rotten!”

Tomorrow I have an appointment for my annual echocardiogram followed by seeing my cardiologist. Six years ago I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve with a bovine valve. Yes, DW does say once in awhile I moo in my sleep!

Thanks to all who post and continued thoughts and prayers for those in need. Kazu I hope your orthopedic appointment today gives you some reassurance and relief from pain.

Enjoy the day!

image.jpeg.49dcadf4775ea12d7109b1bde729aa2d.jpegimage.jpeg.3b95b99f0a70677b66405bec88d89256.jpegimage.jpeg.71986b8938c14562f44d027b2dc4a456.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 22
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! We arrived home twenty minutes later than scheduled. Sue was headed to bed at 7:30 and I struggled to nine. I used to utilize a thesaurus quite often during my military career for speeches and writings but now you get whatever spews out of my mouth. I so rarely write these days I struggle with my penmanship.

Really missing having a latte alfresco and being waited on hand and foot but so Blessed we get to experience our cruises over and over again.

On our last day of cruise we attended a Q&A with Captain, HD and Chief Engineer. It really opened our eyes as the daily supply issues they struggle with every day. Not getting enough black pants for crew or officers waiting until last week to receive scabbard rank insignias to wear on their epaulets. Certain wines and liquors never arrive, bottled glassware shortage due to gas shortage in Europe. One really has to cruise with an open mind and patience these days. HD stated “ yes we had no bananas on a particular cruise when the order was rejected at port due to they were rotten!”

Tomorrow I have an appointment for my annual echocardiogram followed by seeing my cardiologist. Six years ago I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve with a bovine valve. Yes, DW does say once in awhile I moo in my sleep!

Thanks to all who post and continued thoughts and prayers for those in need. Kazu I hope your orthopedic appointment today gives you some reassurance and relief from pain.

Enjoy the day!

image.jpeg.49dcadf4775ea12d7109b1bde729aa2d.jpegimage.jpeg.3b95b99f0a70677b66405bec88d89256.jpegimage.jpeg.71986b8938c14562f44d027b2dc4a456.jpeg

Welcome home! Just curious, which airport do you fly into. Years ago I had a job in Pensacola and Eastern Airlines had a nonstop flight from Tampa to Pensacola. Pretty flight over the Gulf and landing to the north.

• Like 10

Thank you Rich, double-thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

Saw my doctor for my twice-a-year Wellness Check on Monday. I am pleased with myself as I have brought my A1C down just by diet and exercise to where it was two years ago. Thankfully I still do not need medication! I believe the trip to Italy in October/November helped. Walking 6+ miles a day while doing the tourist thing I am sure helped. I guess we need to cruise more! Get a Fit-Bit to keep moving.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 26

Good morning, everyone!   

In honor of Winnie the Pooh:

325672927_727501575566046_5541380003170081218_n.jpg.5b64fcfe7808fd9f9937deacf887c072.jpg

This is what the Daily does.   

Today is a gray day, but the temps are warm so I'm doing an outside walk this morning.  This afternoon I have an appointment to give blood.  

The meal looks really tasty.  Except for the rice, I'd like it.  I could always substitute the riced cauliflower.  https://www.savorynothings.com/mexican-beef-and-rice-skillet/

1709212136_mexicanbeefandrice1.thumb.jpg.6be53961d1d5aa8e31926c63482d16b5.jpg

This next one looks so good with the cheesy top and avocados and sour cream.  Mmmmmm

https://iwashyoudry.com/one-skillet-mexican-beef-and-rice/

495914493_mexicanbeefandrice2.thumb.jpg.eb55bf3d2ffe9772b5aa832af54487c9.jpg

This next one is similar but has slightly different seasonings.  

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/mexican-beef-and-rice-skillet/

271020980_mexicanbeefandrice3.thumb.jpg.528a224c4773d42a362393600f3e1607.jpg

And one last one with slightly different seasonings again.   https://damndelicious.net/2016/09/17/one-pot-mexican-beef-and-rice-casserole/

1446376566_mexicanbeefandrice4.thumb.jpg.83cf022eb7e0e221fc926a73433b24a1.jpg

Go ahead and make a big batch so there are leftovers.  Bet they don't last long!

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  Healing thoughts to Jacqui, Tana, Kathi, and Sarah.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

9 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Welcome home! Just curious, which airport do you fly into. Years ago I had a job in Pensacola and Eastern Airlines had a nonstop flight from Tampa to Pensacola. Pretty flight over the Gulf and landing to the north.

Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport;  fastest growing airport in US (they advertise). Runway is largest AFB in free world Eglin AFB.

• Like 10

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!

th?id=OIP.qAc2UssOUQNBNogoCUOyNAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0

@aliaschiefoh no not the air horns!  It's bad enough just to get answering machines, which I didn't get very many of.  Texas must has been having weather last night, as I just got, Line did not ring. 

DH's boss told him he had to have a sale in the next two days, or they were letting him go.  He decided he would stay on line until he got a sale.  He started at 4, and worked until midnight, and he got a sale at 10 pm.  After work you need some down time, so I went to bed at 12:30, and stayed awake while the cats first fought over my body (scary) , the big Bobagingee climbed on my feet, the other two calmed down,  and when DH came to bed, they all took off, and I got to sleep around 2.  But I work today at 10, and since I work until 9:30 tonight, and have to be up at 5 for one of my Dr. appointments tomorrow I wont be up until midnight and beyond again. 

It is foggy, the computer says it's 58 degrees,  and I cant wait to see todays meal.  Yogurt for breakfast for me, and a salad for lunch.  Then off to DH's eye specialist appointment,  I would normally print out directions, however, the printer is broken,  (due to cat) and I will need to write the directions down.  NO highway!  Maybe though, just maybe, I pass a Cracker Barrell and can get a hot dinner on the way home.

709e53ed9a58c43ef6f9ecf072e64351.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 7