Tilapia - putting a good word in

CruiseRQA

10 hours ago, yknot13 said:

Many chefs rate fish by order of taste and appeal to diners. I just saw an article on this recently. A Google search could produce some ratings

sorry but I love fish and can not bring myself to eat catfish or Talapia

So there are no fish ratings.

I love fish too.   What seafood lover doesn't enjoy fried catfish?  

5 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

So there are no fish ratings.

https://www.mcsuk.org/goodfishguide/?page=7

I did find this.   Tilapia comes in with one "green" rating and one "yellow" rating which puts it about in the middle of a mostly sustainability index.  Much better than many species that our Celebrity cruisers voice preference for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miched said:

Talk about bottom feeders it can’t be worse than snails and I am sure passengers will complain if it is removed from the daily menu 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Snails are fed a "cleansing" diet for several days before being cooked.

• Like 1

as a vegetarian- tilapia is very good and is served at many fine establishments by me . I also live in a beach community and seafood is on every major restaurant's menus. 

so if you have nothing nice to say about food people eat- keep it to yourself.  

I don't go around telling people how un kosher it is to eat a cheeseburger. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

so if you have nothing nice to say about food people eat- keep it to yourself.

It's not about "what people eat". It's about what restaurants serve. And there is a whole industry built around evaluating the offerings of various eateries. They're called "critics" - as in Cruise Critics.

Tilapia is a junk fish. Fried or broiled as a fillet, it cooks up tough and dry. It can be rendered edible if baked in a highly seasoned sauce, like a Veracruz or a' la Mediterranean. In either case, any other white fish would be a better choice.

I only know this after significant experimentation, motivated by the low cost. There's about four pounds still in freezer. It's free to a good home.

• Like 1

Have not been reading such great things about farmed salmon lately

Tilapia is not on our menu,  some other fish have tiny worns..gross

Fish is very expensive..we look for flounder,  Fl Grouper or Mahi as a  treat

• Like 1

Agreed fine Sir.  Some of the best food I've ever eaten were in holes in wall that would never have made a "top 1000" places to eat.   A little place on Isla Mujeres had some of the best fish taco's I've ever had and they were some ridiculous price, around .25 a piece or something like that. 

15 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Having read this it will never knowingly pass my lips. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/tilapia-fish

Exactly...Omega ratio and inflammation.  What I like is that we all have a choice, as to what we eat...I will eat a chocolate Tilapia fish!

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

If tilapia was selling for $18 per pound, people would be clamoring for it, and complaining if it was not on the menu. That IS how one defines a "luxury"  item, right?

Plus maybe a name change.

After all Orange Roughy and Chilean Sea Bass used to be Toothfish and Slimehead.   😂

Edited by CruiseRQA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

The Risks of Tilapia Are in Its Farming Practices

Farmed tilapia isn't dangerous by nature, but increased demand for the fish has led to some unsavory farming practices that may be cause for concern.

As previously mentioned, Seafood Watch advises consumers against eating tilapia farmed in China. Some fish farmed in China are fed feces from livestock animals, a practice that can increase the risk of bacterial contamination and the need to treat the fish with antibiotics, per McGill's Office for Science and Society.

Treating tilapia with antibiotics poses its own set of problems. Bacteria that survive antibiotic treatment can develop resistance to the drug, which can decrease the general effectiveness of the antibiotics, per the Bard Center for Environmental Policy. A related concern is that antibiotics currently banned in the U.S. may be used in aquaculture in trade countries like China. A significant portion of seafood that enters the U.S. is sourced from countries with weak or nonexistent regulations to slow antibiotic resistance, which may progress the spread of resistant bacteria in the U.S.

One way to avoid eating fish that are fed animal feces (and thus, likely less treated with antibiotics) is to steer clear of tilapia from China. But this isn't always so simple: 73 percent of the tilapia imported from the U.S. comes from China, according to a 2017 market analysis by the Food and Agriculture Organizations of the United Nations.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hcat said:

Have not been reading such great things about farmed salmon lately

Tilapia is not on our menu,  some other fish have tiny worns..gross

Fish is very expensive..we look for flounder,  Fl Grouper or Mahi as a  treat

We purchase wild caught salmon from Alaska and stay away from farmed.

4 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

If tilapia was selling for $18 per pound, people would be clamoring for it, and complaining if it was not on the menu. That IS how one defines a "luxury"  item, right?

The reason tilapia is inexpensive is because it’s incredibly easy to farm. You can’t dig a pit in the ground in the middle of a field and raise most kinds of fish… but tilapia thrives in that sort of environment.

It’s the same with shrimp, which is why in a the past 30 years shrimp has gone from a luxury product to an inexpensive everyday item in supermarket freezer cases. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The reason tilapia is inexpensive is because it’s incredibly easy to farm. You can’t dig a pit in the ground in the middle of a field and raise most kinds of fish… but tilapia thrives in that sort of environment.

It’s the same with shrimp, which is why in a the past 30 years shrimp has gone from a luxury product to an inexpensive everyday item in supermarket freezer cases. 

Yep.

You have to be selective where you get your shrimp from also.  Wild caught or from certain countries.

Search sustainable seafood recommendations by Seafood Watch