Cruise Lines Announce Star Link Service -NCLH Nowhere To Be Found

Aloha 1

Article today on Carnival, RCCL, and several other lines rolling out Starlink internet service in March. 50-250 MBPS service. NCLH not even a mention. The telling comment came from an RCCL executive who said they had mounting complaints about the lack of 21st Century internet service. With NCLH desperately trying to retain and retract customers, where the heck are they in this??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

Article today on Carnival, RCCL, and several other lines rolling out Starlink internet service in March. 50-250 MBPS service. NCLH not even a mention. The telling comment came from an RCCL executive who said they had mounting complaints about the lack of 21st Century internet service. With NCLH desperately trying to retain and retract customers, where the heck are they in this??

RCCL signed up first. Now Carnival Corp.  No doubt NCLH will sign shortly. Probably already negotiating. Signing up does not mean instant Starlink. It is a rollout. There are logistics on the ship and for Starlink. More satellites are going up every month. In other words be patient. Oceania ships will get Starlink or something like it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Hurray! I can continue to enjoy vacations on O where many people appear to put their phones in the safe as soon as possible (or at least carry it discreetly while in the ship's public spaces).

Your reply makes no sense. Oceania ships have internet. When Oceania upgrades to Starlink service, which it will or something like it, it won’t make any difference to you enjoyment of your vacation. If you put your phone in the safe in the past you can continue to put your phone in the safe as can anyone else. 

• Like 4

NCLH has already installed Star Link on at least one NCL ship (can't remember which one).  In fact, testing was in progress and passengers reported greatly improved internet speeds.  Pictures were posted on Star Link antennas.  Search NCL forum for info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Your reply makes no sense. Oceania ships have internet. When Oceania upgrades to Starlink service, which it will or something like it, it won’t make any difference to you enjoyment of your vacation. If you put your phone in the safe in the past you can continue to put your phone in the safe as can anyone else. 

My point is that it appears to me that most O passengers are not interested in accessing or paying for higher quality internet while on the ship. O does surveys of past passengers in addition to the on-board surveys. If passengers want better internet and it is profitable, it will be added. Until then, we get slow internet which is fine with me.

39 minutes ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

NCLH has already installed Star Link on at least one NCL ship (can't remember which one).  In fact, testing was in progress and passengers reported greatly improved internet speeds.  Pictures were posted on Star Link antennas.  Search NCL forum for info.

Yep you are right. It is being tested on NCL Breakaway. 

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/11/norwegian-cruise-line-tests-spacex-starlink-on-norwegian-breakaway/

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

My point is that it appears to me that most O passengers are not interested in accessing or paying for higher quality internet while on the ship. O does surveys of past passengers in addition to the on-board surveys. If passengers want better internet and it is profitable, it will be added. Until then, we get slow internet which is fine with me.

Your point is nonsense. Oceania passengers will be very happy to get better quality internet. And they will get it. Starlink is selling their service to all takers and it appears pretty easy to add to ships. Probably every cruise ship in the world will have Starlink before the end of the year. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Your point is nonsense. Oceania passengers will be very happy to get better quality internet. And they will get it. Starlink is selling their service to all takers and it appears pretty easy to add to ships. Probably every cruise ship in the world will have Starlink before the end of the year. 

Wow, rude....and I thought I was being trollish. I have no idea what your credentials are with either Oceania or technology so your opinions are meaningless to me. Enjoy your high speed internet while I enjoy the waves. Bye.

• Like 1

I hope it is an extra paid for service. Perfectly happy with the semi crappy service we have at the moment.

On an itin with lots of stops, I can use my own phone service most likely, on a trip with lots of sea days I don’t need the internet. 

Each to their own, but like alcohol, I am not a fan of paying for others usage when I don’t need it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I hope it is an extra paid for service. Perfectly happy with the semi crappy service we have at the moment.

On an itin with lots of stops, I can use my own phone service most likely, on a trip with lots of sea days I don’t need the internet. 

Each to their own, but like alcohol, I am not a fan of paying for others usage when I don’t need it. 

Possibly they would charge extra.  Since Starlink does not work everywhere in the world yet they might not charge extra. It may not be cost effective to charge extra. 

Starlink is not difficult to install. Takes about a day to add the antennas. Other cruise lines have left their previous charge levels in place. It has been an upgrade rather than an added service. Likely everyone who uses internet onboard will have Starlink when it is installed. 

Edited by Charles4515

Maybe O should go back to charging for the internet  then maybe people would log off when they are not using it

They could off  say 100 mins per cruise  as a perk for Bronze  O club members  then more for the each level attained

I maybe am on the internet  to check my mail   check CC  that is about it  I am on vacation

JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

People don’t want to pay for my booze, I don’t want to pay for their fancy dancy internet. Charge those wanting the upgrade.

Oceania could reconsider including interent but their costs are going to be lower with Starlink when they can totally disconnect from their current service provider. They can't do that yet because Starlink satellite coverage is not complete but it will be as they are launching new satelites all the time. They are also launching their competitors satellites. Going back to paid interent is totally a busness and marketing decision. 

While the quality of  Starlink is an upgrade compared to the currrent service it would in reality be a replacement. A less expensive replacement. That is whay Royal caribbean Group, Carnival Corp and Azamara have moved fast to install it. You may think Starlink terminals and monthly service costs more than what the cruise lines are using now. Starlink hardware and monthly charges are less. So no doubt  everly cruise ship in the world will be using Starlink. Better quality for less cost. A win for the cruise lines anf for cruise passengers. 

Edited by Charles4515

Charles;

Walmart went into many US towns and priced the local companies out of business. After the competition was virtually gone, they raised their prices. I believe, short term , starlink will provide a cost competitive product. Long term, when they become market dominant, probably not.

• Like 1

Cruise lines have to attract newer and younger customers as their older ones die off.  It's just a fact.

Younger customers expect and demand modern conveniences.   

In fact there are many services today you cannot do without a smart phone Uber being a classic travel example.  I check my security system cameras on a regular basis when I am away.

On my most recent trip I was negotiating and completing contracts to get my solar system upgraded.

It's not always about Facebook although we did enjoy watching the Hockey playoffs one year from our stateroom balcony.

And no I never used the phone to deliberately ignore my table/bar neighbors.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Charles;

Walmart went into many US towns and priced the local companies out of business. After the competition was virtually gone, they raised their prices. I believe, short term , starlink will provide a cost competitive product. Long term, when they become market dominant, probably not.

The current provider  used by cruise ships  has been able to charge high prices because they had no competition. Starlink is ahead of the game for low orbit satellites launched partly because of US government subsidies (yes US taxpayers paid billions for it to provide rural service) but Amazon and other companies are doing the same and have made large investments and are also launching satellites. I think the cost of satellite internet will be coming down not going up.  

On 1/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, Charles4515 said:

RCCL signed up first. Now Carnival Corp.  No doubt NCLH will sign shortly. Probably already negotiating. Signing up does not mean instant Starlink. It is a rollout. There are logistics on the ship and for Starlink. More satellites are going up every month. In other words be patient. Oceania ships will get Starlink or something like it. 

This is not a sign up.Those lines are launching service on March.

16 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

This is not a sign up.Those lines are launching service on March.

NCL is testing Starlink on NCL Breakaway. You said in you initial post that there was not a mention. You asked where the heck they were. Turns out they are somewhere.  Starlink is still rolling out their service though so even with Starlink there are holes coverage. Starlink does not have unlimited bandwith either. There have been speed slowdowns. Every cruise line and ship probably can't have Starlink yet. 

On our Regatta circumnavigation in December why did people need a proper internet service?
To try to find excursions when Oceania suddenly cancelled them!

To tell their Operators on private tours when Oceania cancelled our port day or changed the times in port!

Rosalyn

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, LHT28 said:

Maybe O should go back to charging for the internet  then maybe people would log off when they are not using it

They could off  say 100 mins per cruise  as a perk for Bronze  O club members  then more for the each level attained

I maybe am on the internet  to check my mail   check CC  that is about it  I am on vacation

JMO

+1

I completely agree. Just checking email and reading the news can be very frustrating and difficult on an O ship. Charging for internet could help the problem. 
O needs to do something about it because they’re not even in the same ballpark with other cruise lines when it comes to internet quality. 
I only have first-hand knowledge about Royal Caribbean. Their internet is outstanding and they do charge for it unless you are in a suite. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are on Sirena now, in the Caribbean, and the Internet has been down multiple times every day. I am just trying to read emails and articles in newspapers. It is unacceptable in this day and time for technology. Red Ginger just took over 1.5 hours to get an entree due to communication technology problems.

• Like 1