Big Big Internet News

I am currently on Riveria.  I had a meeting with the internet dept today.  I asked if NCLH was in fact testing Starlink on Breakaway.  He said the test is completed, contracts are signed, Breakaway install was completed yesterday and they are installing on Getaway starting today.  

They are installing Starlink fleet wide, starting with NCL, followed by Regent, then Oceania.  Every ship will have Starlink by the end of the year.

I asked him if it was ok if I post the news on CC and he said yes, please!

Great News!!!!  And for all the people who don’t like internet on vacation, don’t buy it……..and don’t worry about fellow passengers who rely on it.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Great News!!!!  And for all the people who don’t like internet on vacation, don’t buy it……..and don’t worry about fellow passengers who rely on it.

In the thread that was started last Sunday where I predicted that it was only a matter of time before Oceania got Starlink after I looked into it I was surprised to the resistance from some posters to Oceania getting Starlink. As you say they don't have to use it. 

• Like 5

No clue on cost but Starlink is significantly less expensive for NCLH than their current system.  He said O ships will be done first followed by R ships but did not give a time frame.

Starlink deployment is simple, basically installing antennas, very little infrastructure.  Remember, after Russia took out Ukraine’s communications infrastructure, Musk had the entirety of Ukraine up and running on Starlink in 3 days.

I am on Nautica in May, he said probably not.  I am back on Riveria in October and he said it should easily be done by then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

This is good news.

I recently disembarked a ship fitted with Starlink.

It worked extremely well.

How many ships are hooked up ?

Once  hundreds of ships get  hooked  up wonder what the service will be like  ??

😈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

How many ships are hooked up ?

Once  hundreds of ships get  hooked  up wonder what the service will be like  ??

😈

SpaceX just sent up another batch of Starlink satellites this morning so the plan is to keep growing capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

SpaceX just sent up another batch of Starlink satellites this morning so the plan is to keep growing capacity.

Yep 51 satellites this morning. They have launched over 3000 satellites with definite plans to launch 12,000. They might extend that to 40,000. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

well now someone posted that NCL is nowhere to be found in this plan.....

Who posted what and where?

If it's the other thread a couple of lines down this board, it predates this thread.

Edited by njhorseman

Hopefully, NCL ships will be fitted out by the Fall, if not sooner.  I'm one of those people who must have Internet access.  If it were unavailable, taking a cruise would be out of the question for me.  The current setup is awful, but it does the trick for email.  Looking forward to this enhancement.

• Like 1

I wonder if O will charge for the new internet or like other lines have done make it included in the cruise fare? On Celebrity we get free premium Wi-Fi when we book suites. Celebrity is also upgrading their fleet to Starlink this year.

Edited by terrydtx

On 1/26/2023 at 1:55 PM, the more ports the better said:

I am currently on Riveria.  I had a meeting with the internet dept today.  I asked if NCLH was in fact testing Starlink on Breakaway.  He said the test is completed, contracts are signed, Breakaway install was completed yesterday and they are installing on Getaway starting today.  

They are installing Starlink fleet wide, starting with NCL, followed by Regent, then Oceania.  Every ship will have Starlink by the end of the year.

I asked him if it was ok if I post the news on CC and he said yes, please!

Hooray!! Such great news! Thanks for sharing!

On 1/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, loriva said:

On 1/26/2023 at 11:23 PM, Charles4515 said:

Yep 51 satellites this morning. They have launched over 3000 satellites with definite plans to launch 12,000. They might extend that to 40,000. 

At that rate Starlink could possibly give terrestrial internet providers competition?

At least for homes, but it might take more technological advancement to make i phones satellite capable, although iPhone 14’s are already capable of satellite SOS messaging…

Someone on an NCL cruise recently complained that going to Starlink resulted in even worse internet service than the ship previously had, with more frequent total unavailability of service as opposed to just abysmally slow service.

I suspect Starlink needs to launch many more satellites in order to provide adequate coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

I just disembarked Celebrity Solstice which has Starlink internet. It was wonderful. Similar to what one would expect in a U.S. hotel. I even streamed the Super Bowl on my computer so I could watch the hi def U.S. Fox broadcast with commercials instead of the international standard definition broadcast. A different world from internet on cruise ships I have experienced over the years.

• Like 2