Rude CruiseNext employees

rnr4thatsme

7 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The whole fault with that is that ALL employees are "an arm of NCL". Based on your argument, the bartender should happily assist any passenger seeking to book a future cruise. As should the kid's club staff, or my room steward.

"Travel agents per se" sheesh...they aren't travel agents at all. They are there to sell CN certificates, to act as your onboard Latitudes rep, and to pass out any brochures or other information that they might have (in case you aren't getting enough of them in the mail). But they are not booking agents.

And given that we should all me smart enough to have a knowledgeable PCC or TA that we trust, why would we not be using them instead of the CN sales clerk for our bookings? It isn't like you will have a means to follow up with the CN staff with future questions or any other needs for your reservation.

I often book myself, online, without assistance, through a website.  Same thing with the majority of my similar-aged friends and I’m not that young. If the wifi had been better, I could’ve gotten the price myself in 2 minutes. But with the slow wifi, I figured he had access to a computer and it is in their job description - that’s how they advertise them “Book your next cruise onboard get an automatic upgrade”. I know what I want - just give me a price.  That seemed to be a big ask.

Actually I think they deter more than help.  Annoying robo calls to room.

Worthless service.  Wait in long line to be told 'no' to things listed in benefits.  Have to sign up for things first night by set time in long line.  Ship pins, no, we don't have.

Last trip on Prima part of reason we are sailing MSC with Diamond perks without any hassles.  For your convenience, of course to Sail and Sustain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No, that’s just silly. Bartenders by nature of the job description are supposed to tend bar. I don’t expect a bar tender to advise me on my next cruise.  Housekeeping is supposed to keep house.  Cruise next personnel should be willing and able to advise me on my next cruise. That’s their job. 

Except that it isn't. While they may have brochures and future schedules, they are not booking agents. They are the sales force for CN certificates, and Latitude reps...nothing more. Flail will not change this.

We were on the BA in December and all three of the CN reps were delightful.

however, when we were on the Star in August the two reps were awful. Haughty, rude, couldn’t be bothered.  We are Diamond and when I went to sign up for wine tasting he said it was full and snidely suggested it was my fault for not coming earlier.  We, jeez, they only been open an hour!   I did not ask to book, reprice or anything but his attitude was insufferable.   I did buy four certificates but after my second encounter with him the day after, I told him to refund my money, based on his attitude I’m not supporting him with the purchase.   

Overall, I’ve found the CN staff to be rude, as well as uninformed. In the ancient of days, when they had Future Cruise Consultants, it was an entirely different experience.

18 hours ago, julig22 said:

Totally depends on the staff - I had one manager who spent a considerable amount of time going over all of my upcoming cruises (about 5 at the time).  Went through each one, looking up price changes, room upgrades, promos, discounts. He seemed to enjoy saving people money outside of the CN sales pitch.

Next cruise, the staff was awful (manager was leaving at the end, might have had something to do with it).  When I wanted to reprice, they asked me if I was sure - well duh, lower price, same or better perks??? Then they totally messed up the onboard upgrade and I had to deal with that stateside. The excuse given was absolutely pathetic!

I really hope with have a good experience on the Epic this March.   We need to purchase more certificates and I want re-price our August cruise while on board.  

If they do not want to act as a "travel agent", then, they should stop offering promotions to book on board.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  I have an cruise booked for 2025.  Can I purchase and use Cruise Next on that cruise?

We tried to do this when we were on the Joy last February and was told by two different employees that it was not possible.  I knew it was.   We purchased the Certificates and then had them applied when we got back home over the telephone.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We tried to do this when we were on the Joy last February and was told by two different employees that it was not possible.  I knew it was.   We purchased the Certificates and then had them applied when we got back home over the telephone.   

I know that it should be obvious, but I have to ask. Given that you "knew it was" possible...as you stated...then why did you even ask, not one, but two employees if it was possible?

Maybe it is just me, but when I know something, I don't spend any time asking people about what I already know.

6 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Except that it isn't. While they may have brochures and future schedules, they are not booking agents. They are the sales force for CN certificates, and Latitude reps...nothing more. Flail will not change this.

Then why OFFER and ADVERTISE to book cruises onboard for a discount?  How else would you get that discount if not THROUGH the CruiseNext desk?  They ARE in fact also booking agents in that capacity.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Then why OFFER and ADVERTISE to book cruises onboard for a discount?  How else would you get that discount if not THROUGH the CruiseNext desk?  They ARE in fact also booking agents in that capacity.

Sorry, my bad. Let me issue a correction. "Flail, and the use of all caps, will not change this."

Better?

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Sorry, my bad. Let me issue a correction. "Flail, and the use of all caps, will not change this."

Better?

Ok, then, how would one access the discount of booking onboard?   Which department would one consult and book through?  Who would be the "booking agent" in this case which would access this discount for a client?  Seeing as, in your opinion, it is not the CruiseNext staff.   I thought maybe using the caps would make it clearer or easier for read for you, my bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

just getting back into cruising after retiring ... we did have a helpful CN agent on our previous cruise that was happy to book the cruise that I had already decided on  ... i'm curious though ... what are the certificates many of you are mentioning? (working towards status ... but not there yet)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Ok, then, how would one access the discount of booking onboard?   Which department would one consult and book through?  Who would be the "booking agent" in this case which would access this discount for a client?  Seeing as, in your opinion, it is not the CruiseNext staff.   I thought maybe using the caps would make it clearer or easier for read for you, my bad.

Then let me explain it yet another way. Here is NCL's official job description for the position. Please read over it and let me know what part of it that you believe makes them an onboard travel agent.

Cruise Next Consultant - Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings
Category: Guest Services Jobs
Position: Future Cruise Consultant
Salary: Commission based role
Updated: January 9, 2023

POSITION SUMMARY
To increase revenue by sales of CruiseNext and promotion of any Revenue area such as stores/restaurants/corporate clients in ports of call where contracted and manage the execution of the Latitudes Program on assigned ship.

In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Promote the sales process of CruiseNext/ CruiseNext Ultimate sales to reach assigned financial goal for each voyage (varies per ship). You will interact one-on-one with guests to attain sales.
Learn the live presentations given by the CCM in public lounges in regards to dispensing advantages of booking now with NCL Bahamas or American-flagged vessels. You must have the ability to step in and do the presentations when necessary.
Fully learn and understand reservation system Seaware/Seaweb and Fidelio Hotel Management system onboard.
Learn and maintain procedures for Latitudes Program: Learn and update Fidelio computer program each voyage to include members who may have sailed previously. Implement mail merges each voyage with repeaters list to send to cabins Welcome Letter and Party invitation. Provide front desk with extra copies. Promote hours for Latitude members to register in the Freestyle Daily program. Ability to host special cocktail reception as a tool for our program’s exposure, must attend weekly. Assist to ensure adequate participation from all departments. Assist to maintain inventory of Latitudes supplies (letterhead and collateral).
Monitor that the Destinations channel is consistent with written schedule given to Broadcast Tech on the ship IE: Destinations, CruiseNext, Taped Talks or other videos/presentations as directed by shore side management.
If applicable (varies by itinerary) assist with promotion of stores / brands / clients under contract with NCL Bahamas or American-flagged vessels. Tactics will include helping with Port & Shopping talks in front of a live audience scheduled through Cruise Director and Freestyle Daily program; scheduled office hours to interact one-on-one with passengers, early morning duty at ship’s gangway to direct passengers going ashore to specific client partners. You may at times have to collect monies from clients as directed through accounting administration. Interaction with clients to improve sales from passengers.
Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.

QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND ATTRIBUTES
QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum of one (1) year experience in marketing/sales in a hospitality-related industry is required.
Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
Advanced experience in Public speaking with large audiences is required.
Intermediate knowledge and experience with Fidelio (Hotel management system) and Seaware (Travel booking system) or similar systems are preferred.
Intermediate to Advanced experience managing a sales team is required.
Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.

EDUCATION
High School Diploma or Foreign Equivalent is required.
Associate’s degree in communications, marketing and/or sales is preferred. Some related experience may substitute for this education requirement at an equivalent rate.
Excellent communications, leadership, team building, and management skills
Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
Respect for all co-workers and guests
Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
Able to work 7 days a week
Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Then let me explain it yet another way. Here is NCL's official job description for the position. Please read over it and let me know what part of it that you believe makes them an onboard travel agent.

Cruise Next Consultant - Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings
Category: Guest Services Jobs
Position: Future Cruise Consultant
Salary: Commission based role
Updated: January 9, 2023

POSITION SUMMARY
To increase revenue by sales of CruiseNext and promotion of any Revenue area such as stores/restaurants/corporate clients in ports of call where contracted and manage the execution of the Latitudes Program on assigned ship.

In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Promote the sales process of CruiseNext/ CruiseNext Ultimate sales to reach assigned financial goal for each voyage (varies per ship). You will interact one-on-one with guests to attain sales.
Learn the live presentations given by the CCM in public lounges in regards to dispensing advantages of booking now with NCL Bahamas or American-flagged vessels. You must have the ability to step in and do the presentations when necessary.
Fully learn and understand reservation system Seaware/Seaweb and Fidelio Hotel Management system onboard.
Learn and maintain procedures for Latitudes Program: Learn and update Fidelio computer program each voyage to include members who may have sailed previously. Implement mail merges each voyage with repeaters list to send to cabins Welcome Letter and Party invitation. Provide front desk with extra copies. Promote hours for Latitude members to register in the Freestyle Daily program. Ability to host special cocktail reception as a tool for our program’s exposure, must attend weekly. Assist to ensure adequate participation from all departments. Assist to maintain inventory of Latitudes supplies (letterhead and collateral).
Monitor that the Destinations channel is consistent with written schedule given to Broadcast Tech on the ship IE: Destinations, CruiseNext, Taped Talks or other videos/presentations as directed by shore side management.
If applicable (varies by itinerary) assist with promotion of stores / brands / clients under contract with NCL Bahamas or American-flagged vessels. Tactics will include helping with Port & Shopping talks in front of a live audience scheduled through Cruise Director and Freestyle Daily program; scheduled office hours to interact one-on-one with passengers, early morning duty at ship’s gangway to direct passengers going ashore to specific client partners. You may at times have to collect monies from clients as directed through accounting administration. Interaction with clients to improve sales from passengers.
Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.

QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND ATTRIBUTES
QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum of one (1) year experience in marketing/sales in a hospitality-related industry is required.
Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
Advanced experience in Public speaking with large audiences is required.
Intermediate knowledge and experience with Fidelio (Hotel management system) and Seaware (Travel booking system) or similar systems are preferred.
Intermediate to Advanced experience managing a sales team is required.
Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.

EDUCATION
High School Diploma or Foreign Equivalent is required.
Associate’s degree in communications, marketing and/or sales is preferred. Some related experience may substitute for this education requirement at an equivalent rate.
Excellent communications, leadership, team building, and management skills
Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
Respect for all co-workers and guests
Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
Able to work 7 days a week
Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates

I have highlighted and underlined the sections that refer to the duties specified.  Cruise Next Ultimate refers to the process of booking a cruise onboard to receive discounts in addition to the usual Cruise Next certificate discounts.

And again, I ask...  Who would you suggest then that a cruiser onboard see to obtain this additional discount of booking onboard?  The captain himself (yes, that's sarcasm).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

I have highlighted and underlined the sections that refer to the duties specified.  Cruise Next Ultimate refers to the process of booking a cruise onboard to receive discounts in addition to the usual Cruise Next certificate discounts.

And again, I ask...  Who would you suggest then that a cruiser onboard see to obtain this additional discount of booking onboard?  The captain himself (yes, that's sarcasm).

Oooooo! I know Seaweb! It's the clunker of a system I use to book people on cruises. 

2 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

How to tell me that you didn't understand what you read without saying so. 

Promote the sales process of CruiseNext/ CruiseNext Ultimate sales to reach assigned financial goal for each voyage (varies per ship). You will interact one-on-one with guests to attain sales.
Fully learn and understand reservation system Seaware/Seaweb and Fidelio Hotel Management system onboard.
Learn and maintain procedures for Latitudes Program: Learn and update Fidelio computer program each voyage to include members who may have sailed previously. Implement mail merges each voyage with repeaters list to send to cabins Welcome Letter and Party invitation

It bears repeating...these are sales people, not booking agents. Flail will not change that.

7 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Sorry, I missed that one.

You don't have to "see" anyone. You just have to book while on board (as opposed to booking with an agent who is onboard...do you see the difference?).

For example...You go on a cruise from Feb 1st thru Feb 7th. One day, you reach out to your usual TA who, for the sake of argument, is a big-box TA. They book you on a new cruise, again for the sake of argument, on Feb 5th.

Since you were onboard from Feb 1st thru Feb 7th, it can't be argued that your Feb 5th booking wasn't made while you were onboard, thus qualifying for an onboard booking discount.

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Sorry, I missed that one.

You don't have to "see" anyone. You just have to book while on board (as opposed to booking with an agent who is onboard...do you see the difference?).

For example...You go on a cruise from Feb 1st thru Feb 7th. One day, you reach out to your usual TA who, for the sake of argument, is a big-box TA. They book you on a new cruise, again for the sake of argument, on Feb 5th.

Since you were onboard from Feb 1st thru Feb 7th, it can't be argued that your Feb 5th booking wasn't made while you were onboard, thus qualifying for an onboard booking discount.

Good luck with that.  They messed up my onboard upgrade while I was onboard and when I tried to fix it stateside, I got a flat no.  Took way too much time and effort to get it fixed and only because it was pretty obvious they screwed up.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

CN certificates are for new bookings only.  You can use them if you cancel your original booking and rebook.  

That's what the terms say.  In reality you can apply them as payment to anything you've already bookef, if not paid in full. If a double up promo is announced, you can add another if your cruise is eligible. No need to rebook anything.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That's what the terms say.  In reality you can apply them as payment to anything you've already bookef, if not paid in full. If a double up promo is announced, you can add another if your cruise is eligible. No need to rebook anything.

Sounds like a bit of a gamble.  Maybe one can use them.  Maybe not.  I do not want to rebook this cruise.  

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Sounds like a bit of a gamble.  Maybe one can use them.  Maybe not.  I do not want to rebook this cruise.  

Done it dozens of times, not a gamble.  If it was, there would be an insane number of posts on CC about it.  However, if you are actually asking about CruiseFirst certificates ( which I suspect may be the case), then the rules are different.

• Like 2

I was on Breakaway January 8-15. I went to cruise next last night of cruise.  I got a guy that literally had honey dripping from his mouth. Everything was honey and sweetie. He gave me my two pins and told me I made sapphire and gave me my paper for the 2 cruise next I bought. 
my cabin steward was beyond awesome.

only person I ran across that was not nice and friendly was the prune faced woman working the counter at taste restaurant. She must of gargled with vinegar each morning. She almost got the furry of my daughter when she yanked her card out of her hand.