Where do we anchor in these islands in Tahiti ...

Piaa

Good afternoon

Trying to plan excursions during our 11 night Tahiti to Tahiti cruise in September on the Wind Spirit (first time on Windstar .. so excited)  and as we have not visited the islands before, might anyone know where we anchor (or dock?) in the following islands please as it will make planning so much easier ..

Papeete

Fakarava

Rangiroa

Raiatea

Bora Bora

Huahine

Moorea

And if anyone has any favorite tours please let me know (I am researching now and loving every minute) and have already booked a helicopter tour in Bora Bora as well as snorkeling with BoraBorah2o but that is as far as I have gotten.

Thank you so much

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

Papeete (dock)

Fakarava (anchor but not sure)

Rangiroa (anchor)

Raiatea (dock)

Bora Bora (anchor)

Huahine (anchor)

Moorea (anchor)

Thank you so much - do you know the area of the island by chance?

Good afternoon

Lets try this again as I couldn't edit my previous post for some reason.   Might anyone know what bay or area in the following islands we arrive as I am trying to arrange independent tours/car rentals but have no clue what location we might arrive so have no clue if I am booking something that is convenient or not.  I have called Windstar and no one knew so they said to send an email (so I will) but thought it might be quicker to ask here) ..

Papeete

Fakarava

Rangiroa

Raiatea   (I think we dock and come in close to or at the Uturoa Wharf ?) 

Bora Bora

Huahine

Moorea  (I think we come in to Opunohu Bay ?)

Thank you so much for any help.

Hi, Buy a map, a good map tells distances between islands, names bays etc.I go no where without a map, Google simply does not give a gestalt of an entire area. I do not think you will be able to island hop in this area. We did Tahiti with WS in 2014 and it tours were all done on the island we were anchored near or docked at. Great trip.  Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1

So, I emailed Windstar and received this reply - this might be helpful for others planning their own excursions but do note locations may change due to conditions..

Embarkation beings in Papeete, Tahiti, 
Address: Papeete Cruise Passenger Terminal.

Quai des Paquebots – Epis Nord or Epis Sud

Papeete 98714

French Polynesia

Fakarava, Tuamotu

Address: Rotava Harbour

W9VH+CVC, Fakarava, French Polynesia

Rangiroa

Address: ANCHORAGE INSIDE THE ATOLL, Finger pier TIPUTA

14° 58.452 S - 147° 38.502 W

Motu Mahaea, Taha'a

Address: anchorage Tahaa lagoon - call to private Motu: Motu Mahaea - Anchor between Motu Mahaea and Baie Faha’a. Zodiac runs to small wooden landing stage on Motu. Tender runs for one tour to the quay inside the small ferry harbor in the village of Faha’a at the head of the bay.

-16.633, -151.493

Riatea

Address: Port of Uturoa

Uturoa, Raiatea

French Polynesia

Bora Bora 

Address: Harbor of Vaitape

BP 9164 Motu Uta

Papeete 98715

French Polynesia

Huahine

Address: tender landing : Débarcadère de MAROE   (landing stage Maroe at Maroe Village)

16° 45.450 S - 151° 00.000 W

Moorea

Address: tender landing to tender pier at Cook's Bay / PAOPAO tender landing

17° 29.803 S - 149° 51.453 W

• Like 3

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Where do we anchor in these islands in Tahiti ...

All the tour operators know where you will be.  I highly recommend Dr.Poole’s tour in Moorea.  Be advised some tour operators have contracts with the cruise line. And you won’t be able to book independently for these.

Edited by 6rugrats

4 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

All the tour operators know where you will be.  I highly recommend Dr.Poole’s tour in Moorea.  Be advised some tour operators have contracts with the cruise line. And you won’t be able to book independently for these.

Thank you - yes I have booked with Dr Pool and a private with Blue Invitation 💕

On 1/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, Piaa said:

Thank you - yes I have booked with Dr Pool and a private with Blue Invitation 💕

piaa, what is Blue Invitation?

we did Dr Poole 20 years ago, was worthwhile.  No need to do again.  

• 1 month later...

Thank you Piaa for getting this info. We are on the Wind Spirit with you Sept. 7th. We were in FP 5 years ago but things and vendors can change so nice to know exactly where we’ll be parking. Just starting to plan excursions and so far Petoonya’s people are different from vendors we used before. Nice to have updated recommendations.

On 1/28/2023 at 6:24 AM, Piaa said:

Edited by mrmac

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have an update on the actual sail away time for this cruise from Papeete harbor. I know the itinerary continues to say 6 p.m. but In the past the windspirit has remained tied up at the harbor till the following morning. 

Anyone’s recent experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.S. this question  applies to The WindSpirit only

4 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

Does anyone have an update on the actual sail away time for this cruise from Papeete harbor. I know the itinerary continues to say 6 p.m. but In the past the windspirit has remained tied up at the harbor till the following morning. 

Anyone’s recent experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.S. this question  applies to The WindSpirit only

image.png.967ad595ff7fdc1ee104255ffc23fc3c.png

This is from the detailed itinerary for our upcoming trip. 

Thank you kc, my travel agents web site shows the same cruise leaving Papeete at 6pm Thursday 19th. I am pleased that Windstar is accurately showing the delayed departure.

We’re considering the 10 day cruise on September 18th. I’ll be sure to have my agent correct the departure time. It’s crucial for folks who would like to land at PPT on the Thursday, but think they’ll miss the ship

edit:

So I just just looked at Windstars site and they do indeed disclose that your cruise will not depart until 05.00 am on the 20th of October . However, they state the September 18th cruise leaves at 6 p.m. on the 18th. Definitely worth our while checking closer to cruise time. Have a fantastic cruise kc.

Edited by Nearpost345
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

So I just just looked at Windstars site and they do indeed disclose that your cruise will not depart until 05.00 am on the 20th of October . However, they state the September 18th cruise leaves at 6 p.m. on the 18th. Definitely worth our while checking closer to cruise time. Have a fantastic cruise kc.

The difference between the 7 and 10/11 day cruises is that the ship will actually leave at 6pm for the 10/11 day cruise as the first day is a sea day to get to the Tuamotu Islands.  This is not the case for the 7 day cruise as the ship only needs to cross over to next island Moorea, a 2 hour sail, which is why they can afford to leave only the following morning.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this post.  For those of you who've completed your trips, how did it turn out?  I'm going Feb 4 (2024) on Star Breeze and I'm really considering using the watersports platform for most of the days it's available.  Since we go to quite a few atolls, obviously I'll get off and stretch my legs on the islands.  But I'm curious for those who've already completed your trips, what did you love about any specific tour?
Can you help explain to me why I should book a snorkeling tour vs jumping right off the Star Breeze and enjoying the day where we're anchored?

Thanks again!

We were on the Star Breeze last year. When the watersports platform is out, you are generally in deeper waters. Excursions get you to the beautiful coral gardens such as we saw in Raiatea(Taha'a) and Bora Bora. You are often snorkeling in quite shallow waters to see the most beautiful corals and fish. Look up "Drift Snorkel Tahaa" on YouTube. We highly recommend booking with H2O Bora Bora(boraborah2o.com). Some of the best snorkeling on a small boat(4-6 person) tour, that we've ever had. Lots of great posts over on the Pacific Islands CC Board regarding good snorkeling and other excursion in FP.

Edited by Dbld777
Added reference to Pacific Islands Board
  • Thanks 1