New to Regents (and Cruising)

Legend Dawg

My wife and I and some friends are taking our first cruise on Regents in March on Navigator.  From what I have read the dining is nice and the dress code is what I would call country club casual.  The cruise is in the Caribbean so the question is do men wear sport coats to dinner.  Is there one night that might be more formal than the other nights.  And please someone give me some direction for my wife so I will not get in trouble:). 

The answer is Yes: Gentlemen often do put on a sport coat in the MDR, and more often in the Specialty Dining. {Neither require it though...}

There will not be any Formal Optional nights unless the cruise is more than 14 nights (16? nights) but the evening of the CAPT's Welcome Dinner is a prime candidate for dressing up a squouch.  

For the Ladies, I believe as long as you are not looking like you're going to the pool or the launderette - they're OK.  [I.E. Short Dress, Long Dress, Pants, Sarong, Muu-Muu...] etc

Edited by daetchief

We have persuaded my brother and sister in law to join us on a Regent cruise in November so they are asking the same questions 😁

Yes country club casual so for men it is fairly easy - 'proper' trousers (pants) not jeans, and a collared shirt (there is some debate as to whether golf polo shirts fit this description 😜) You can choose whether to wear a tie (or not) My hubby takes a linen sports coat but only wore it twice on our Navigator cruise before Christmas.

For ladies I took a selection of dresses (one long dress but it was more casual rather than a gown) some black trousers and a pair of linen trousers and a variety of dressy tops plus a pashmina/shawl for breezy evenings on deck or chilly air conditioning (and I took home clothes I hadn't worn) 

We dressed up more for our evening in Prime 7

on cruises over 14 nights they do have formal optional evenings but you can be as dressy as you want to be. Have a wonderful first cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

and a collared shirt (there is some debate as to whether golf polo shirts fit this description 😜)

There’s no debate - Polo shirts, which have a collar, fit the dress code as published by Regent - no ifs, buts or maybes about it

I’m not sure why some people try and interpret the published dress code in ways that happen to coincide with what they’d like to see as the dress code

We were on Regent last month and found the relaxed dress code - including no jacket or tie requirement very pleasant 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On voyager now

this is the most casually dressed crowd I’ve ever seen on a luxury line

polos are the norm

relatively few men. in sport jackets 

once in a while I see a guy in a tie

some women dressed for dinner in clothes I would wear on a shore excursion. A handful in sequins. Others just elegant

they will turn you away from the dining room if u are wearing a t shirt (no collar) or jeans. Otherwise you can be very comfortably dressed or dressed up. 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1

We were last on the Navigator for Christmas New Year this year. 
Husband took slacks and silk shirts to wear for dinner…no jacket or tie. Though some nights he just wore a sports shirt and docker type slacks. Some men wear a sports coat sone even a tie… all are very acceptable.

I wore black skirt or slacks with a silk top. Some women wore fancier dresses, slacks and sparkly tops, a few in cocktail type dresses and some dressed in what you might have seen in church years ago.

Wear what you like, dressy evening wear or nice daytime outfits…. what you are comfortable wearing… the dress code is the minimum acceptable.  Noone will bat an eye. Same goes for the formal optional nights, non on our 14 cruise even News Years Eve.

12 minutes ago, bitob said:

this is the most casually dressed crowd I’ve ever seen on a luxury line

polos are the norm

relatively few men. in sport jackets 

The relaxed atmosphere and dress code on Regent is one of the things I enjoyed on our recent cruise on Explorer. Next time I won’t even bother taking a jacket

• Like 3

The only time I've *ever* run into a dress code was going into the observation lounge in the evening and I was still wearing my daytime shorts from being on land earlier in the day. They had a long pants rule after 6PM or something like that (I assume it still is?). They were not rude about it, and neither was I, but a polite reminder by the friendly bar-keep and all was good.

The allowable clothing for the dining rooms are pretty much anything as long as you aren't wearing ratty jeans or shorts. I've seen the full spectrum of ladies dresses and also very basic long pants and very casual blouses.

It's not an issue and do not overthink it. You absolutely can dress up (or down) if you like. I think I only wore a suit once to dinner and that's when we were invited out of the blue to have dinner with the cruise director (a pleasant surprise). I typically wouldn't even pack a suit on a cruise and I won't be for our April TA.

46 minutes ago, Legend Dawg said:

All of this was super helpful, thanks.

Here is the actual dress code from wwww.rssc.com

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

12 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

There’s no debate - Polo shirts, which have a collar, fit the dress code as published by Regent - no ifs, buts or maybes about it

You can't have read the dress code threads I have - not particularly my view but there is certainly a debate going on there 😂😂😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

You can't have read the dress code threads I have - not particularly my view but there is certainly a debate going on there 😂😂😂

I’ve definitely read them and on the most recent one I’ve reminded the polo haters that polos comply with Regents dress code as they are collared shirts and they cannot try and rewrite or put some spin on the rules to suit their preferences. I’ve also tested that principle out of Explorer many nights on our cruise last December 

Polos are ok 👍 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ve definitely read them and on the most recent one I’ve reminded the polo haters that polos comply with Regents dress code as they are collared shirts and they cannot try and rewrite or put some spin on the rules to suit their preferences. I’ve also tested that principle out of Explorer many nights on our cruise last December 

Polos are ok 👍 

Agreed - polos are perfectly fine. It doesn't matter what people on FB like or dislike - they don't make the rules.

• Like 4

On our last cruise, Splendor, my husband not a blazer planning to wear it, no tie, in the specialty restaurants. He wore it more often only because it was chilly in the dining room. I wore black pants and a kinda dressy top like I would wear in a nice restaurant at home. And I always have a wrap. We don’t do anything different on formal optional nights. Enjoy!

• Like 1

We are new to Regent in December '23.  The descriptions here are very helpful. Thank you. DH will be glad no jacket.  Now I don't have to drag him out to get one.  A relief.  Just needs summer-weight slacks for Panama Canal.  Our cruises have been mostly cool-weather locales.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

I disagree on the a/c.  On our last cruise on the Navigator, we were hot all of the time.  Our cabin was especially hot.  Sleeping was difficult.  My husband tried to wear a jacket but it was too hot in all of the dining rooms.  And we are "aged".  We retired 10 years ago.  Would have liked some of that cold a/c blowing on us.