No mobile phone

Tablelamp

On 1/26/2023 at 11:11 AM, zap99 said:

Plenty of restaurants have QR codes on the table instead of menu's. I prefer that to some sticky old piece of card. 

Indeed they do, and had my friend been on her own in Riga recently they would have lost business as she doesn't have a reader app. Luckily we were together at that point so I had to tell her what was on offer. It's all very well appealing to Generation X and  or whatever it is, as long as you realise you may lose others at the other end of the demographic.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Indeed they do, and had my friend been on her own in Riga recently they would have lost business as she doesn't have a reader app. Luckily we were together at that point so I had to tell her what was on offer. It's all very well appealing to Generation X and  or whatever it is, as long as you realise you may lose others at the other end of the demographic.

TBH Sharon, I think many businesses accept that may happen.  Once we were allowed out ' Rishis dishes time ' we were down your way. It was difficult to get a table and folk unable to use a QR code were given a single use paper menu. Customers didn't want to handle menus that had been doing the rounds. I'm sure the good folk in Riga would have taken the time to read the menu to a British Lady on her own.🤣

• Like 1

When in Shanghai some years ago for work, many restaurants used electronic booking through an app called WeChat. This is the Chinese equivalent of WhatsApp. You booked your table through the app, arrived in time and joined the inevitable queue. Once in the queue you scanned a QR code displayed on the wall, this opened up a page in the app telling you how many bookings in front of you, and the approximate waiting time. Once you were down to the last few the menu was sent to the app so you could order. You then went to your table once it was available and the food was delivered by the waiting staff. After the meal was over you scanned the QR code on the table and the bill was paid via the credit card linked to the app. All seamless, and unfortunately soulless. It reduced the waiting staff to background automatons. I really hope this is not the future for P and O.

• Like 1

Thinking about this QR code does anyone have an image of one that would be good enough to scan? Then I can try a code reader app on my phone

Just realised you have to be able to connect to the 'app' which will be difficult 130 miles from Southampton

Edited by davecttr

27 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Thinking about this QR code does anyone have an image of one that would be good enough to scan? Then I can try a code reader app on my phone

Just realised you have to be able to connect to the 'app' which will be difficult 130 miles from Southampton

There's one on your vaccination certificate

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have a fairly modern Smartphone, but no QR reader.

You can download an app from your mobile phone providers store. Most are compatible on all smartphones and are free.  They are useful in supermarkets as the QR codes often carry excellent health and nutrition details if the labels are a bit vague.

Edited by Megabear2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Most modern phones can read QR codes, if you google the make of your phone you can find the info

I never realised I had a QR reader on my Samsung (it’s in the drop down notifications menu of quick settings). I’ve only ever used a QR code with the NHS app and/or camera.
You learn something every day!

• Like 1

I tried the QR app on the vaccination certificate and enormous numbers of random characters with the option to email or send a SMS message???. I presume if you have the P&O 'app' open and scan a menu QR code the menu will appear on your screen?

18 minutes ago, Leomins said:

Well it seems they are listening as this is in the latest leaflet I received from P&O.

I didn’t have any issues using the ‘app’ on Iona though.8DEA5A63-2A7C-43B5-B3BA-688B76658FF4.thumb.jpeg.6d9b8338f55eef7eafb15c675a284afa.jpeg

Well that's interesting.  Presumably the first of the responses on feedback that Moley referred to a couple of weeks back. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leomins said:

Well it seems they are listening as this is in the latest leaflet I received from P&O.

I didn’t have any issues using the ‘app’ on Iona though.8DEA5A63-2A7C-43B5-B3BA-688B76658FF4.thumb.jpeg.6d9b8338f55eef7eafb15c675a284afa.jpeg

Me neither but it will be easier for those who repeatedly moan about there inability or refusal to use something which is reasonably simple.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Leomins said:

Thanks for pointing this out. I've just checked P&O's website and right enough the My Holiday info has been updated. The request for passengers to pre-book entertainment (which has always been my pet bugbear) has gone completely on the four smallest ships. Yippee! I'll muddle along on my forthcoming Iona cruise, same as I've done on my other two on her.  But my Arcadia one in April has now taken on a new significance - it will be my first cruise in four years where I've not had to worry about maybe being refused entry to a show on a P&O ship.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, Sussexboy said:

When in Shanghai some years ago for work, many restaurants used electronic booking through an app called WeChat. This is the Chinese equivalent of WhatsApp. You booked your table through the app, arrived in time and joined the inevitable queue. Once in the queue you scanned a QR code displayed on the wall, this opened up a page in the app telling you how many bookings in front of you, and the approximate waiting time. Once you were down to the last few the menu was sent to the app so you could order. You then went to your table once it was available and the food was delivered by the waiting staff. After the meal was over you scanned the QR code on the table and the bill was paid via the credit card linked to the app. All seamless, and unfortunately soulless. It reduced the waiting staff to background automatons. I really hope this is not the future for P and O.

China is the blue print for the world I’m afraid 

QR are codes are in use everywhere, I have seen them on headstones, which give details of the individual buried beneath, including pictures and videos.

Going back to restaurants, I tried it in one In Birmingham during the Commonwealth Games, but wouldn’t allow me to order a pizza on the menu without the mushrooms, so had to order via normal method in the end.

Edited by Snow Hill