Rhine water levels 2023 and similar topics

notamermaid

@mkerner I think I need to clarify my post. I was specifically referring to the Rhine, but the basics apply to the Danube as well. On the German Danube we can get low levels a bit longer in the year than on the Rhine but as the general direction of rain is from the West and sweeping over Germany - normally including both the Rhine and Danube basins then - November into December sees the rivers leave the low levels. The Danube always, with minimal exception, has more problems with low water than the Rhine.

So, in an unfortunate scenario one could start in Budapest and get just past Nuremberg with a ship swap, the rain sets in and the Main and Rhine rise well making the rest of the journey very pleasant. To be honest, I have no gut feeling as to how October will progress and what November will bring this year but overall November is a better month than October statistically.

notamermaid

As the river level at Kaub is doing what it was expected to do we can with confidence look at the next three days. The weekend is still a bit uncertain but the further slow decline looks definite at least till Friday. Forecast: tomorrow evening 78cm. "Tentative" forecast: Thursday evening 73cm, Friday afternoon 71cm. Modelling shows lowest level on Saturday.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We are heading towards Kaub from Wurzberg and will likely be there on Friday night sailing towards Amsterdam. We have already had to change ships and miss Nuremberg and have had terrible transfer problems (room downgraded and told if we didn’t like it to leave the ship and that with probably the oldest person on board) We are technically on a ‘better ship’ but most people agree it isn’t! What are the chances of getting through to Amsterdam? And what happens when there isn’t a boat to take you? Does it become a coach tour? Rapidly concluding this is my first and last cruise with terrible management of the ship swap and not looking forward to another on the same cruise.

Welcome to Cruisecritic.

3 hours ago, Neveragain91andout said:

What are the chances of getting through to Amsterdam?

Still more likely than not at this point. That is as far as I can say. Trickiest day will probably be the one that you are scheduled to go through the Rhine Gorge. The majority of ships sail at levels of under 80cm - that could be 78cm, 76cm, etc.

And what happens when there isn’t a boat to take you? Does it become a coach tour?

Usually.

Rapidly concluding this is my first and last cruise with terrible management of the ship swap and not looking forward to another on the same cruise.

The Rhine swap is normally shorter in distance and the coach trip more scenic. It will depend on where the ship needs to dock and which river cruise company you are travelling with.

Do not give up on river cruising yet. Plenty of choices out there.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, Rikboatman said:

Got through the Middle Rhein okay but had to go slow.  On the Main now, just past Miltenburg and all is fine.

Good to hear. Hope you are having a great time. The Main river has virtually no problems with low water apart from the potentially tricky bit at the mouth when the Rhine is very low. The Main is dug deep and with the locks always has enough water for river cruise ships.

notamermaid

Thank you! I think we are going through the Rhine Gorge on Friday afternoon and Kaub when you predicted lowest levels. Warning on talk tonight about river levels so probably not looking good for us. Had thought maybe one ship swap but not two in one journey but we can’t have hot sun in October and high water levels. 

7 minutes ago, Neveragain91andout said:

Thank you! I think we are going through the Rhine Gorge on Friday afternoon and Kaub when you predicted lowest levels. Warning on talk tonight about river levels so probably not looking good for us. Had thought maybe one ship swap but not two in one journey but we can’t have hot sun in October and high water levels. 

in 2015 we did 2 ship swaps on Viking.  We left Amsterdam on on ship.  Stopped in Koblenz and took a tourist boat (plenty big) down the Rhine Gorge and picked up the next ship in Mainz.  Sailed to Nuremberg then bused to Passau for the last swap, we were able to get to Budapest at the end or that would have been our third.

2015 was a bad year, topped by the abysmal year of 2018. This year is looking more favourable, yes, even on the Danube, I may add, although perhaps only slightly better than 2015. I will look at that some time.

Kaub gauge at 83cm. Saturday should see the low - 75cm. Will see how it goes with the rain sweeping over the middle of Germany right now which means water for the Moselle, Middle Rhine valley and the Main river (that one filling the Rhine 12 to 72 hours later).

notamermaid

• Like 1

We just sailed through the middle Rhine and we are about to dock in Koblenz.  Our cruise director said we should be fine for the rest of the trip, but also said the upcoming trips may not be able to make it through.  Fortunately, our ship made it through the really shallow section and we should finish our trip in Amsterdam without needing to be bussed.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thompsam said:

Fortunately, our ship made it through the really shallow section and we should finish our trip in Amsterdam without needing to be bussed.

Thank you for saying hello from your cruise. Good to read you were able to sail through the Rhine Gorge albeit in rain and mist. It has been a grey and rainy day indeed.

Yes, once you are through the Rhine Gorge in the downstream direction things get better immediately and no coach needed at least not due to low water levels.

notamermaid

• Like 1

That is a relief as we have been told we are going through the gorge tomorrow so assume no more ship swaps and will make it to Amsterdam. Very disappointed with the customer service of our trip as otherwise I would definitely be returning but it has spoiled our holiday for a good part of it - not the ship swap at all which is what it is but downgrading of cabin with no explanation and  annoying when you have paid extra for a certain cabin grade. Then with the worry of another swap and wondering if we get a further downgrade and would be rowing the rest of the way! Thank you for the update as we can relax and enjoy now.

• Like 1

That is a relief as we have been told we are going through the gorge tomorrow so assume no more ship swaps and will make it to Amsterdam. Very disappointed with the customer service of our trip as otherwise I would definitely be returning but it has spoiled our holiday for a good part of it - not the ship swap at all which is what it is but downgrading of cabin with no explanation and  annoying when you have paid extra for a certain cabin grade. Then with the worry of another swap and wondering if we get a further downgrade and would be rowing the rest of the way! Thank you for the update as we can relax and enjoy now.

You have never mentioned which ship and cruise line you are on.

• Like 1

We are on the Viking ship Bragi heading for Bamburg. We were just informed that we will have to do a ship swap as the water levels in Passau are very low. So it goes. Also very warm here today with temperature approaching 80. Did not see that coming. 

• Thanks 1

Kaub at 77cm. This is the GlW figure, a marker which tells river traffic that the navigation channel is - basically - 190cm deep as in what the authorities try to guarantee. Now it is getting trickier and "interesting".

notamermaid

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the forecast earlier. Today should see the lowest levels as I have reported before. So that is an interesting situation. We can fairly rely on this and assume that while the level will not significantly rise, 80cm is better than 77cm. It is suggested that the former will be the stable level over the weekend. Looking further into next week, the figures may become more favourable.

notamermaid

• Like 3

The forecast was wrong again, unusual for Kaub where the computers normally do a very good job. After a dip to 73cm the level is now at 75cm. That means the forecast has been adjusted to lower figures, staying below 80cm.

Large river cruise ships are sailing through the Rhine Gorge, I have just tracked the Viking Freya which is approaching Koblenz now. So is the Excellence Empress.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Just had to post you this. It looks like the "occupied deckchair" meme. "What is that ship doing docking at my dock?!" 😁

image.jpeg.6738472ce9986ef89452f0704207551c.jpeg

The Viking river cruise docking place is occupied by a different company's ship right now and we could assume in the way. But the Viking river cruise ship has actually just left.

Kaub gauge is at 82cm.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Kaub gauge is at 80cm and falling. The rain did some good but it was not enough to really put our mind at ease when we think about ship swaps. For tomorrow lower levels are forecast and the decline could be continuing on Wednesday.

notamermaid

We are getting ready for a Basel to Amsterdam cruise starting on 10/28.  Can you advise as to when we need to start looking at the water levels to judge the likelihood of problems during our trip?  Am I right that things are looking better looking ahead in October/early November or is it too early to say yet?  Thanks for your help.