Questions re Specialty Dining Reservations

MarkWiltonM

I logged into Oceania's website last night at midnight and made our specialty dining reservations for a Riviera cruise (March 12-22, Miami - Bermuda RT). We have been on one previous Oceania cruise, on Sirena last year. We are in a B2 Verandah stateroom so the pickings were slim. 

My spouse and I like to dine early and alone whenever possible. We don't drink alcohol, and although we don't mind if we are with people who are drinking (as long as they aren't also drunk), the consuming of cocktails, wine, and after-dinner drinks can slow down the dinner beyond what we prefer. We are also gay and we've heard stories on these boards of some Oceania cruisers not wanting to share their table with "the gays." We were able to get an early table-for-two reservation in Red Ginger, but could only get 8:30 or 9:00 pm reservations in the other specialties for a two-top. That's our bedtime, so those hours are not going to work for us. Instead, we booked Jacques and Polo Grill for 6:30 for tables shared with others. We didn't book Toscana because we did not enjoy Tuscan Grill on Sirena, which is an understatement (it was horrible--food and service; main dining room was much better).

Questions: 

(1) If I go to the specialty dining reservations desk upon embarkation, is it realistic to think I may be able to change our shared-table reservations to tables-for-two at an early time (6:30 or 7:00)? I imagine it will be busy on that first afternoon so if it's unrealistic I won't bother. 

(2) Is there any strategic value in booking a reservation in Toscana if we don't plan to dine there? For example, might it be possible to explain our preference for Red Ginger and Jacques to the desk and trade that for a second night in one of those restaurants?

(3) Has anyone used Roll Calls to find people who might want to "trade" one restaurant for another once on board? For example, I know not everyone likes Asian food, and we aren't huge meat eaters so we could trade Polo Grill or Toscana for one of the other restaurants. Alternatively, might the specialty dining desk keep a list of people who are interested in trading?

(4) Has anyone used Roll Calls to "pre-meet" other cruisers who may make compatible dinner companions? Then we might be able to amend our shared-table reservations to shared tables with specific passengers. 

(5) We are scheduled on Vista later this year. Do you think there's any chance those specialties will have more two-tops since there is apparently strong demand and insufficient supply on Oceania's current fleet? I worked in restaurants in my teens and twenties and some of the finest dining rooms I worked in had many tables for two that could easily be converted to four-tops, six-tops, eight-tops, etc. if necessary. It's obviously more efficient to scale up up the party size by putting smaller tables together than by seating two people at a four-top, for example. 

(6) Any other tips or suggestions for the specialties?

Thanks! 

I would keep checking the online reservations  before you go  some slots may open up

If you cannot get  the time or 2 top  then yes go to the reservations desk (deck 5)  when you board

Sorry to hear  that  some people are rude to a segment of our society   not all Oceania cruisers  are like that

We have had many enjoyable conversations/meals with same sex couples  on O

Tuscan Steak is only on Sirena  you may enjoy Toscana   on the other ships

It also has a lot to do with the cooks   ..with new staff  they may not be fully trained by the sounds of things  on Oceania's ways

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, do check online every so often.

People do cancel cruises, and perhaps even more so these days than in the past.

And people do change their dining plans, such as having an early reservation and then realizing that they are likely to be on some adventure and will probably be tired, so they either cancel/change the date, or they are looking for a later reservation and move.

Also, you could try stopping by and speaking with the maître d' in advance of the date in question.  Explain that you'd prefer an earlier time.  They have a fixed number of tables and chairs, but turnover isn't precise.  It's not like fixed seatings at 6pm and 8pm.  With tables in flux, what they really need to know is... they don't want too many people showing up at one time, etc.  Assuming everyone shows up, they'll serve everyone throughout the evening, and at approximately their reservation time.

Anyway, it's worth asking.

And it never hurts to ask on the Roll Call if anyone wants to change an early reservation for a late one, including on different evenings, if that's possible for you.

Yum. Enjoy. 😉 

GC

• Thanks 1

We’re on this cruise also-there is a roll call running, so you can check there about the meet and greet (14th at 5:30 pm in Horizons). Sorry you’ve run into rudeness. We’re older and Canadian-we prefer eating alone as we’re tired of defending Canadian values!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

My spouse and I like to dine early and alone whenever possible. We don't drink alcohol, and although we don't mind if we are with people who are drinking (as long as they aren't also drunk), the consuming of cocktails, wine, and after-dinner drinks can slow down the dinner beyond what we prefer. We are also gay and we've heard stories on these boards of some Oceania cruisers not wanting to share their table with "the gays." We were able to get an early table-for-two reservation in Red Ginger, but could only get 8:30 or 9:00 pm reservations in the other specialties for a two-top. That's our bedtime, so those hours are not going to work for us.

When I read this to my spouse he said “wait are they us?” Lol. We are on this very same sailing in a B3 verandah and are facing the same dining struggles!  We do drink but never to excess.  We don’t have a drink package and always bring our wine with us to dinner if we are having it. We typically like 1 to at most 1 and a half hour dining experiences so we will have read the menu and pretty much know what we want. We are all about equality for everyone and people have said we are great dining partners ☺️.  I will go to our roll call and post my contact info if you are interested in joining forces for an earlier dining time. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Although I know there are awful people even on Oceania, Jeff and I have not had that experience.  We have sailed 54 nights on Oceania and have had the joy of meeting wonderful people, including some now lifelong friends.    I hope the same for the two of you.    

Although Red Ginger is our hands down favorite, Toscana ranks high for us too so don't rule it out.   If you are a fish eater the Dover Sole is amazing.   🙂

Definitely use  your roll call for connections.   Also see the reservation desk upon boarding and call every morning to see if anything has opened up.

Have a great time on Riviera!

Joe (& Jeff)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I logged into Oceania's website last night at midnight and made our specialty dining reservations for a Riviera cruise (March 12-22, Miami - Bermuda RT). We have been on one previous Oceania cruise, on Sirena last year. We are in a B2 Verandah stateroom so the pickings were slim. 

My spouse and I like to dine early and alone whenever possible. We don't drink alcohol, and although we don't mind if we are with people who are drinking (as long as they aren't also drunk), the consuming of cocktails, wine, and after-dinner drinks can slow down the dinner beyond what we prefer. We are also gay and we've heard stories on these boards of some Oceania cruisers not wanting to share their table with "the gays." We were able to get an early table-for-two reservation in Red Ginger, but could only get 8:30 or 9:00 pm reservations in the other specialties for a two-top. That's our bedtime, so those hours are not going to work for us. Instead, we booked Jacques and Polo Grill for 6:30 for tables shared with others. We didn't book Toscana because we did not enjoy Tuscan Grill on Sirena, which is an understatement (it was horrible--food and service; main dining room was much better).

Questions: 

(1) If I go to the specialty dining reservations desk upon embarkation, is it realistic to think I may be able to change our shared-table reservations to tables-for-two at an early time (6:30 or 7:00)? I imagine it will be busy on that first afternoon so if it's unrealistic I won't bother. 

(2) Is there any strategic value in booking a reservation in Toscana if we don't plan to dine there? For example, might it be possible to explain our preference for Red Ginger and Jacques to the desk and trade that for a second night in one of those restaurants?

(3) Has anyone used Roll Calls to find people who might want to "trade" one restaurant for another once on board? For example, I know not everyone likes Asian food, and we aren't huge meat eaters so we could trade Polo Grill or Toscana for one of the other restaurants. Alternatively, might the specialty dining desk keep a list of people who are interested in trading?

(4) Has anyone used Roll Calls to "pre-meet" other cruisers who may make compatible dinner companions? Then we might be able to amend our shared-table reservations to shared tables with specific passengers. 

(5) We are scheduled on Vista later this year. Do you think there's any chance those specialties will have more two-tops since there is apparently strong demand and insufficient supply on Oceania's current fleet? I worked in restaurants in my teens and twenties and some of the finest dining rooms I worked in had many tables for two that could easily be converted to four-tops, six-tops, eight-tops, etc. if necessary. It's obviously more efficient to scale up up the party size by putting smaller tables together than by seating two people at a four-top, for example. 

(6) Any other tips or suggestions for the specialties?

Thanks! 

#4 Absolutely.     We were able to sign up for specialty restaurants same day, time as other couples from rollcall.  We walk in as a 4some or 6some and ask to be seated together.   Definitely in the main dining room. Made meals so much more fun. 

• Thanks 1

Those are very popular requests (table for 2 at 6:30).  I'd suggest you keep looking, but also consider dining with others.  I personally like table for 2 (at 7 or 7:30) but usually just go straight for shared tables, as time is more important to me than sharing/non.  Even in an inside stateroom, I've usually been fairly successful doing that, though many times we do end up sharing.  But yes, the meals can take a long time, especially in Toscana.  But you're free to get up and leave at any time, since there's no bill to pay or split.  Some people want to go to the 9:30 show, or play trivia (my spouse) so you won't be the only person leaving early.  I've done it to go photograph a lighthouse (!)  And in the end if you must eat late, you can always go to the Terrace Cafe at 6:30 for an appetizer, or order a shrimp cocktail from Room Service, or go to tea at 4 (or whatever time) and have some finger food. But I find that on cruises, I tend to eat later than I do at home, so I seldom do that.

If all you can get now is late times, you can definitely try to switch later when on board.  We went to the Dining Reservation person on Sirena to switch one -- near the stairs down to Reception, I think, part-time, usually afternoons, though our switch was just a time, not one resto to another.  But I think you can do that if they have openings.  And of course, in the mean time, you may be able to switch using online reservations if you have time to check frequently, and after final payment is made in case people cancel their cruise.  But I think you need to delete one reservation first or the system won't allow you to book another one if you've reached your limit.  I'm not sure about holding the Toscana restaurant and switching -- maybe a good strategy, but being a little "old school," it has me wondering if that would adversely affect anything in O's operation.  But probably not. And see my next comment. 

I thought Tuscan Steak on Sirena in May was a little "off."  (At least with the pasta I ordered for main course).  But Tuscan Steak was new, and a hybrid of Toscana and Polo, so I figured they needed more time to see what worked/didn't work.  So I wouldn't avoid Toscana (or Polo) just because of your experience on Sirena.  And if you ever get anything you truly don't like, don't be afraid to ask for something else - in any restaurant. 

I haven't sensed any anti-gay folks on O, but I'm not gay, so can't guarantee there aren't any.  For the most part I think O cruisers are the best I've ever cruised with when it comes to going with the flow & accepting small imperfections on the cruise/changes, and most people seem to be quite open (and welcome) to meeting/dining with a diverse crowd.  But I've only been on 5 cruise lines since 2004.

As for the Roll Calls, they're not what they used to be.  You might as well give it a try if all else fails.  But I'm not sure it will be possible, or even if you CAN do that. 

As for just visiting the specialty restaurants when they open, same day (if you're wondering), we've done that a few times, but have never gotten a call saying we could come up due to a no-show or whatever.  But you never know - it may happen!

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackdeb said:

Hello Mark we are also on Pink Sand Soirée ( aka Bermuda Triangle). Looking forward to seeing you two at the M&G in Horizons. Defending Canadian values is part of the fun.🇨🇦

I must say that the people we met on our one Oceania cruise last May/June were all lovely - we needed to 'defend' only on other lines!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackdeb said:

Hello Mark we are also on Pink Sand Soirée ( aka Bermuda Triangle). Looking forward to seeing you two at the M&G in Horizons. Defending Canadian values is part of the fun.🇨🇦

@MarkWiltonM we thoroughly endorse @jackdeb.

We would love them even if they were not Canadian.   😊

Joe

• Haha 1

When we were on Riviera earlier this month we had reservations for a shared table in Jacques one night.  We stopped in about 45 minutes early and asked if we could have a two top immediately instead and they were happy to seat us.  Definitely pursue all of your options and I feel like they will make it happen if they can arrange it.

• Thanks 1

You really can’t eliminate a restaurant on one ship because you had a negative experience on a sister ship. We love Toscana, especially the breaded veal chop.  A lot has to do with the chef.  On one cruise, we had a terrible experience in Polo and said we’d not dine there again.  But on our next cruise, we gave Polo another chance and it was excellent.  Yep, there was a new chef.  

It really bothers me that people won’t dine with a gay couple.  On our cruise last month, we made friends with two gay couples and had dinner in Privee one night.  My sister and I had a fantastic time.  We are on your March cruise.  Maybe we can meet.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

It really bothers me that people won’t dine with a gay couple.  On our cruise last month, we made friends with two gay couples and had dinner in Privee one night.  My sister and I had a fantastic time.  We are on your March cruise.  Maybe we can meet.  

I also cruise with my sister and we have had the best time dining with gay couples. What difference does it make? We like being with other people as long as they aren't drunk or obnoxious. 

• Like 4

I am late to the game here but we have often used the Roll Call to set up dinner companions.  It's true that the Roll Calls seem to be less effective since Oceania instituted the free tours, etc., but it's always worth a try.

Likewise, people who refuse to dine with gays -- or are rude to them -- wouldn't be welcome at OUR table!

I remember many years ago we had a package to Rio for 7 days with a Boston agency.  When we boarded the flight we could tell that a majority of the passengers were gay.  This didn't matter to us ... but we were sitting with a woman who was traveling with her two sisters.  So the sisters were sitting together further forward and she was sitting with us.  She was puzzled about most of the other passengers on the flight.

So we told her what we'd figured out.  She was from a NJ business group at the time (this was the early 1970s) and she seemed somewhat distressed ... We thought perhaps more because she didn't really have any gays in her life experience rather than prejudice against them.

But on the return flight she had adopted a young man who sat on the floor in front of us for most of the flight.  The three of us were in one of those extra room seats that have access to emergency exits.  She now considered this young man like a son ... It only took 7 days to turn her attitude around.

Mura

• Like 2

It breaks my heart to hear someone who is gay  is upset  when prepping for a cruise. We are not gay, but we always ended up being friends with gays on most cruises. 
We had alot of bookings in restaurants prior to our Amazon cruise as we had a high suite. I tried to work out the best days according to daytime activities. But we still dropped a few once on board.so I’m sure others drop or swap.  We always felt Jacques was the worst restaurant on board but it turned  out to be the chef and maitre  de .(who walked off the ship one morning and never came back!!) This last cruise,Jacques was our favourite. The new head chef delivers food  as  his daily special, and is far better than any other plate on that ship, Marina. We walked out of red ginger and dropped our bookings, leaving table for two at 7pm available twice. 
So there is hope Mark. It’s lovely to read all these positive comments for you. 
You will get what you want at some  point. 🥰

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mura said:

I am late to the game here but we have often used the Roll Call to set up dinner companions.  It's true that the Roll Calls seem to be less effective since Oceania instituted the free tours, etc., but it's always worth a try.

Hi Mura

So, so agree with sentiments, it’s the person that counts not any choices on orientation.

But  what I wanted to ask you (newbie on Oceania here, 1st trip due mid March). You say “ since Oceania instituted … tours”. Can you elucidate?

On 1/26/2023 at 10:57 AM, BWV said:

we’re tired of defending Canadian values!

Haha. Americans can be funny. I once had a conversation about Quebec separatism with an American on a cruise. He was somewhat informed about Canada, but assumed that if Quebec became independent from Canada, they would naturally want to join the US.

I think he was misinformed about the definition of 'independent.' 😉

I can only imagine how much more heated some conversations these days might be. Let us all listen well, and speak only if we can improve upon silence.

--Julian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BigCheese1 said:

Hi Mura

So, so agree with sentiments, it’s the person that counts not any choices on orientation.

But  what I wanted to ask you (newbie on Oceania here, 1st trip due mid March). You say “ since Oceania instituted … tours”. Can you elucidate?

I will agree with Mura

The roll call were very popular  back before  O life  excursion deal came to be  

We often had private tours scheduled  for most ports

a good place to meet up online to discuss  the tours & maybe have  a meet & greet

meet others for dinner or  at Tea  for chats  etc

The last few year pre covid some of the roll calls were dead ..hard to meet people pre cruise 

JME

On 1/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

we've heard stories on these boards of some Oceania cruisers not wanting to share their table with "the gays.

I have never seen these sentiments expressed on CC or any of the FB boards that I monitor.

When asked to share a table we have never been asked for preferences for our table companions.

‘Could you explain more about the origin of these stories?

52 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I have never seen these sentiments expressed on CC or any of the FB boards that I monitor.

When asked to share a table we have never been asked for preferences for our table companions.

There have been first-hand reports here by gay folks whose shared dining companions made immediate and not subtle excuses not to join the table for dinner.

O cruisers are mostly open minded, but not all. Years ago our TA connected us to have drinks onboard with another couple that were also her clients. They were retired finance professionals and loved to travel, we were very much looking forward to connecting. It was a one-and-done, they were very vocal about ex-UK colonies going downhill after independence when people like themselves were no longer in charge 🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

There have been first-hand reports here by gay folks whose shared dining companions made immediate and not subtle excuses not to join the table for dinner.

Oh wow! I thought they were saying there was anti-gay sentiment expressed in the forums. Don’t want to be part of forums spewing that.

5 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Oh wow! I thought they were saying there was anti-gay sentiment expressed in the forums. Don’t want to be part of forums spewing that.

I would be shocked if there haven't been anti-gay posts on CC, I trust they get reported and removed.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

I have only seen one maybe 2 complaints  so was surprised also

But I guess it can happen anywhere 

There are some straight couples  I would like to avoid at times 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4