Special needs sailors

SDuckers

Our family is planning a cruise out of Galveston on the Allure in May.  Our youngest child (age 21) is on the autism spectrum.  He is quite functional and verbal, but maturity level is more akin to a 14 or 15 year old.  I am intrigued with the teen activities they have on board because I think our son would really enjoy them.  I am wondering if it is possible to get permission for him to participate in some of those, even though chronologically he isn't a teen.  I will also be asking RCCL guest services, but I hoped maybe someone reading here had experiences they could share.

6 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

Our family is planning a cruise out of Galveston on the Allure in May.  Our youngest child (age 21) is on the autism spectrum.  He is quite functional and verbal, but maturity level is more akin to a 14 or 15 year old.  I am intrigued with the teen activities they have on board because I think our son would really enjoy them.  I am wondering if it is possible to get permission for him to participate in some of those, even though chronologically he isn't a teen.  I will also be asking RCCL guest services, but I hoped maybe someone reading here had experiences they could share.

Here is a link to information about traveling with Royal Caribbean with someone with autism.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/autism-friendly-ships

I am not sure they will allow your son in the teen area since he is an adult unless you are sailing with Autism on the Seas when there are counselors specifically with that group that help.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a special needs daughter (CP, not autism) but the Adventure Ocean team were very kind to us. We mentioned what activities we thought would work for her (she loves being read to) and they scheduled some special sessions which were essentially an open house. This would allow our daughter to attend with an adult companion. You should reach out to the Special Access team shoreside first. I do not have faith they will help you based on my experience. However, onboard ship go to the Adventure Ocean sign up and talk with a knowledgeable crew member and see what they can do for you. The Teen Club itself will most likely be off-limits because it is designed to be a hang-out for teenagers only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your son will 100% NOT be allowed to go to the teen activities in Adventure Ocean. There is a huge liability issue of including an adult - regardless of their functional age.

Keep an eye out for open activities that you think your son might enjoy. Does he like music? Maybe he would enjoy going to karaoke and listening to people perform? Is he into sports? There is usually a big mixture of ages playing basketball and pickleball. Maybe some of the games and trivia would keep him entertained? You might find some craft activities that could be appropriate. Good luck. I hope that your son enjoys his cruise. 

• Like 3