NCL Stock

cruisekitty22

only you can answer that question. there is no correct answer. if you really need help then you should seek advice from a finance advisor instead of the forums here

the only benefit you get from the stocks is OBC. you will need to cruise a ton to get back the money from OBC to equal what you spent on stocks

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Is it advisable to buy NCL stock as our first stock purchase ever?  Is it wise to do this?

Shoff515 is right.  If you have disposable income you can gamble with and if you’re planning on doing multiple cruises over the next several years, buying NCHL stock could be advantageous.  I would watch the stock for several weeks so you know where to get in.  Right now it’s between $15-16 which is higher than it has been in the last 52 weeks.  Download either Webull or Robinhood apps.  It makes trading very simple for newbies.  Remember it’s always a risk.  

18 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Is it advisable to buy NCL stock as our first stock purchase ever?  Is it wise to do this?

So  you don't need to "cruise a ton to get back the money from OBC to equal what you spent on stocks" because you will eventually sell the stock. So you only need to cover losses if you sell at less than $15-$16 per share. 

So, $1500 for 100 shares is not a lot of money to gamble. You need to hope that NCL's good business decisions will keep the stock on a slow upward climb from the dark days of the pandemic. And then, someday, you can sell those shares for a profit. 

We are on NCL 4ish times a year (the rest on Royal), so that's $400 in OBC to spend (year over year). For us, it is an o.k. deal. 

I agree with @BirdTravels...$1500 is a good investment to get back OBC...I bought last year at $16 and so far have had $350 back in OBC...that in itself is a 20% return...and as Bird says it will eventually go up and you could sell at a profit. Pre pandemic it was over $50 so there is hope. Of course if you are looking to put in a big investment then get some advice.

As has been pointed out, only you can make a decision with YOUR money.  But, I did great.  I got about $700 in OBC when I had it.  I bought at $11.10 and sold for $16.45.  So, I’m very pleased.

But, there were others in here who shorted it during the shutdown and got burned.  Others bought high and sold low, which is never a good strategy.

I'll answer this from my perspective which you can take/leave/tell me I'm stupid and to go headfirst into a shallow pool. 🙂 I can take it...but I won't actually dive. 

I considered purchasing NCL stock and put a price of $10 or below as a target. It did get very close to this target, but never got there so I did not purchase. I didn't want to have more than $1,000 in the game as NCLH is a relatively risky stock right now, even with the OBC. 

As the stock price rose, I considered purchasing, because $1,500 is really nothing at all, especially when considering you can get $100 OBC for a seven day cruise. If I had NCLH stock, I would have received $300 in 2022 which is a nice, I'll call it "dividend." I know, it's not, but that's what I'm calling it y'all! 

Here's why I'm no longer in the market for the stock at all:

1. As a stock, it's too risky for my blood and I'm a fairly aggressive investor, but NCLH is too close to bankruptcy (in my very humble opinion).

2. The OBC offer could be discontinued or changed at any time. Since the $100 for up to a 15 day cruise (7 - 14 days) could become $50 or zero, I'm afraid I wouldn't get the return I want. 

3. NCLH is led by unethical leaders that don't care about consumers. While this might be good for investors, except for my 401(k) and Roth IRA accounts that I don't control, I will not purchase the stock of a company that I feel is misleading, unethical, and acts with impunity toward their customers. Maybe a controversial opinion, but it's mine. 

Now go find a wealth advisor who can help you actually determine if this is a responsible investment for you. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Only you can decide your personal "risk" aversion for spending just over $1500 (today's price) to get 100 shares.

I will not even begin to try to give you advise if you are looking to "purchase" for any other reason than the OBC benefit.  Do not mistake all of us "cruising fools" for professional wealth managers (no offense to those here who actually may be just that 🤪)

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

I agree with @BirdTravels...$1500 is a good investment to get back OBC...I bought last year at $16 and so far have had $350 back in OBC...that in itself is a 20% return...and as Bird says it will eventually go up and you could sell at a profit. Pre pandemic it was over $50 so there is hope. Of course if you are looking to put in a big investment then get some advice.

.....This is exactly how we look at things. 

If you cruise even once per year and get $100 OBC, that is like a 6.6% dividend each year.  (tax free btw).

Hard to find that type of consistent return which is completely in your control.  The more you cruise the bigger your "dividend" each year. 

• Thanks 1

I remembered that we have an option in our 401k at work to treat it as a brokerage account.  so transferred $1600 from my current elections to the brokerage account and bought 1000 NCL shares.  I still have over 15 years before retirement, so I'll recoup the cost of the shares in OBC over that time and whatever I end up selling the shares at will be gravy.

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Lots of advice in this thread.  Most of the naysayers are emphasizing the fact that the stock may go down on NCL might declare bankruptcy.  These are valid points but the avoid this critical point.  You do not have to hold the stock for any period of time.  You can buy the stock today, file for the OBC on your next cruise, and sell the stock tomorrow.  There is no requirement to hold or own the stock during your cruise.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  You can buy and sell the stock multiple times and you won't have to pay commissions with a discount broker like schwab, etc.

• Like 1

I have followed this stock for a number of years.  I currently own 700 shares.  They are reorganizing debt.  Demand is strong.  Profits????  Cutting costs to drive profits is tricky.  I do think it is a lot more buy than a sell.  It has gotten up to almost 24 dollars in the past year, lowest is a little over 10.  15 is a good range to dip 100 shares in.