Jump to content

Tipping


Nowcruise5
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:


I am not sure, this would correctly match the intent.

 

From what I understand, Australians and New-Zealanders' jobs are well paying. Therefore, they don't need any additional incentive to do a good job. 
 

I feel it is my job, as a visitor in Australia and New-Zealand to respect their curlture.

 

However, people from New-Zealand and Australia, like any other well intended traveller, need to adapt to other countries' cultures, when they are abroad.

 

For example, in America, and Canada, a number of jobs are paid lower wages, based on the existing tipping culture. 
 

And although our Celebrity cruise ship will be travelling only in Australia and New-Zealand, the pay structure aboard the ship is based on the American culture, taking into account that Celebrity is an American company. 
 

So, removing gratuities/not tipping on an American cruise ship, in my opinion, would not adequately match the culture aboard the ship. ( Unless, you booked a high end cruise, where tips are specifically unaccepted).

It seems that just on this thread, you have asked and receive the answers to the tipping questions a few times. It also appears that you are not happy with the answers of "NO TIPPING" policy in Australian and New Zealand. Let your conscious be your guide.   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

It seems that just on this thread, you have asked and receive the answers to the tipping questions a few times. It also appears that you are not happy with the answers of "NO TIPPING" policy in Australian and New Zealand. Let your conscious be your guide.   

It may be a language issue, but you sadly completely missed the intent of my last post. Sorry! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

It may be a language issue, but you sadly completely missed the intent of my last post. Sorry! 

What was the intent of your last post? You have asked about gratuities to tour guides and drivers and the question was answered. Your last post was actually quite rude, as to me you were lecturing Australians and New Zealanders on what we should do in North America. Most Australians and New Zealanders will follow the custom of tipping when required.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, possum52 said:

What was the intent of your last post? You have asked about gratuities to tour guides and drivers and the question was answered. Your last post was actually quite rude, as to me you were lecturing Australians and New Zealanders on what we should do in North America. Most Australians and New Zealanders will follow the custom of tipping when required.


You really did miss the intent of my post! 

Thanks to the feedback from Australian/New-Zealand posters I have learned that tipping was not part of their culture. As a visitor to these land, it is my responsibility to respect their culture

 

When someone suggested to an Australian to remove gratuities on an American cruise ship, I just felt the need, to clarify, that when Australian and New-Zealanders travel abroad, they should also normally respect the cultures of visited countries such as America and Canada, which have a deeply entrenched tipping culture. Sadly, in these countries, some jobs are paid below minimal wages taking into account that tipping culture.

 

Cruise ship, for the most companies, also fall in that club of employees paid low wages and needing tipping to complete their wage package. ( some exceptions may apply).

 

Therefore, the suggestion to removing gratuities on a cruise ship, especially, an American Owned and operated cruise ship, is not necessarily fair to the working employees, who do not get the high Australia/New-Zealand wages. Of course, an argument could be made to remove the auto-gratuities, and to replace that by manually tipping specific employees.

 

My post was all about respect of each and different cultures. If you read it as rude, you really missed my intent. My apologies! 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:


You really did miss the intent of my post! 

Thanks to the feedback from Australian/New-Zealand posters I have learned that tipping was not part of their culture. As a visitor to these land, it is my responsibility to respect their culture

 

When someone suggested to an Australian to remove gratuities on an American cruise ship, I just felt the need, to clarify, that when Australian and New-Zealanders travel abroad, they should also normally respect the cultures of visited countries such as America and Canada, which have a deeply entrenched tipping culture. Sadly, in these countries, some jobs are paid below minimal wages taking into account that tipping culture.

 

Cruise ship, for the most companies, also fall in that club of employees paid low wages and needing tipping to complete their wage package. ( some exceptions may apply).

 

Therefore, the suggestion to removing gratuities on a cruise ship, especially, an American Owned and operated cruise ship, is not necessarily fair to the working employees, who do not get the high Australia/New-Zealand wages. Of course, an argument could be made to remove the auto-gratuities, and to replace that by manually tipping specific employees.

 

My post was all about respect of each and different cultures. If you read it as rude, you really missed my intent. My apologies! 

 

 

The someone who suggested that was actually an American, not an Australian or New Zealander and it was in answer to a question from an Israeli.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:


You really did miss the intent of my post! 

Thanks to the feedback from Australian/New-Zealand posters I have learned that tipping was not part of their culture. As a visitor to these land, it is my responsibility to respect their culture

 

When someone suggested to an Australian to remove gratuities on an American cruise ship, I just felt the need, to clarify, that when Australian and New-Zealanders travel abroad, they should also normally respect the cultures of visited countries such as America and Canada, which have a deeply entrenched tipping culture. Sadly, in these countries, some jobs are paid below minimal wages taking into account that tipping culture.

 

Cruise ship, for the most companies, also fall in that club of employees paid low wages and needing tipping to complete their wage package. ( some exceptions may apply).

 

Therefore, the suggestion to removing gratuities on a cruise ship, especially, an American Owned and operated cruise ship, is not necessarily fair to the working employees, who do not get the high Australia/New-Zealand wages. Of course, an argument could be made to remove the auto-gratuities, and to replace that by manually tipping specific employees.

 

My post was all about respect of each and different cultures. If you read it as rude, you really missed my intent. My apologies! 

 

 

Most Australians won't remove gratuities on a US based ship but they will usually pay extra when booking from an Australian travel agency. Part of the "extra" is that gratuities are already included in the fare, so if they find that they are still expected to pay when on board, then they will ask to remove them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a “tipping” response, so off topic, but “food for thought”.  I would guess that very few cruise ships are “American owned and operated.”  Most cruise ships that operate out of the US are actually registered elsewhere (Caribbean, Central America, Bahamas, etc) to avoid wage and hour restrictions and US taxes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Free2bMeForever said:

Not a “tipping” response, so off topic, but “food for thought”.  I would guess that very few cruise ships are “American owned and operated.”  Most cruise ships that operate out of the US are actually registered elsewhere (Caribbean, Central America, Bahamas, etc) to avoid wage and hour restrictions and US taxes.

That really doesn't explain why Australian based ships follow Australian wage and work hour laws when for example the three P&O Aus ships are registered in England. The Carnival Spirit, is based in Australia year round and is registered in the Bahamas. The Princess and Carnival ships which are based in Australia and NZ during our summer season are not registered in Australia but in the countries that you mentioned in your post. 

 

It is nothing to do with where the ships are registered as far as paying taxes. As the companies are US based, they will certainly be paying taxes there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished a cruise including New Zealand and post cruise in Sydney. Many counters had Tip Jars, Tour Guides stood by the door thanking passengers and gladly accepted tips. Every receipt I received in Sydney had a suggested tip ~10%. The tip was always ignored by the cashier at check out, except one restaurant asked me if I wanted to add a tip. The doorman who handled our luggage and booked us a taxi gladly accepted my $10US tip.

 

I am not trying to be controversial, just stating my experience.

Edited by Tedferg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Just finished a cruise including New Zealand and post cruise in Sydney. Many counters had Tip Jars, Tour Guides stood by the door thanking passengers and gladly accepted tips. Every receipt I received in Sydney had a suggested tip ~10%. The tip was always ignored by the cashier at check out, except one restaurant asked me if I wanted to add a tip. The doorman who handled our luggage and booked us a taxi gladly accepted my $10US tip.

 

I am not trying to be controversial, just stating my experience.

You're not being controversial, of course some people will take advantage of you if they can, especially if they hear an American accent, it is human nature.

It is, however unnecessary to tip, anywhere, anytime. In law, tips are a gift, soliciting a tip is illegal and the same as begging.

A tip jar belongs to the business owner and he may distribute what is in it any way he likes. They do usually share it between everyone but it is not required.

The receipts are often because the software for the machine is US based. You may also have found that the cashier will just touch the final price for you on the machines display (some are embarrassed that it shows up on the machine).

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, yarramar said:

You may also have found that the cashier will just touch the final price for you on the machines display.

Good point, I only noticed the tip suggestion after the transaction when I looked at receipt. Cashiers always just closed it out after tapping. It is also the American in me that felt obliged when doorman handled luggage, called for a taxi etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Every receipt I received in Sydney had a suggested tip ~10%. The tip was always ignored by the cashier at check out, except one restaurant asked me if I wanted to add a tip. 

 

 

And that is why Kiwis and Aussies wish you Americans wouldn't tip over here. The more you do it.. they more they start to expect it.. and now in some of the touristy type towns we're finding businesses are asking us if we want to add a tip. And the answer is "like hell no you cheeky buggers! Do I look an American tourist?? No!". lol. 🙂 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2023 at 10:38 PM, Over from NZ said:

And that is why Kiwis and Aussies wish you Americans wouldn't tip over here. The more you do it.. they more they start to expect it.. and now in some of the touristy type towns we're finding businesses are asking us if we want to add a tip. And the answer is "like hell no you cheeky buggers! Do I look an American tourist?? No!". lol. 🙂 

I do hear you, but in Sydney I called for help getting our luggage downstairs from the room. The bell boy came, loaded two suitcases on the trolley and at the door, smiled and asked, ' Will there be anything else Sir?'. I said, 'No Thank You' but I have to say it felt like a tip was expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I do hear you, but in Sydney I called for help getting our luggage downstairs from the room. The bell boy came, loaded two suitcases on the trolley and at the door, smiled and asked, ' Will there be anything else Sir?'. I said, 'No Thank You' but I have to say it felt like a tip was expected.

That problem is in your head lol. It's only the accent that sets the expectation - if he had heard an Aussie Twang or a Kiwi accent.. he would have known he was getting nothing but a verbal tank you 🙂 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

That problem is in your head lol. It's only the accent that sets the expectation - if he had heard an Aussie Twang or a Kiwi accent.. he would have known he was getting nothing but a verbal tank you 🙂 

Could not agree more, just making the point that it is sometimes hard to know what is expected. As stated earlier, I went with the expectation that tips were NOT expected. But receipts with Tip Suggestion and Tip Jars at cash registers mad me say Hmmm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2023 at 10:50 AM, Tedferg said:

But receipts with Tip Suggestion and Tip Jars at cash registers mad me say Hmmm.

This has become more prevalent especially in in tourist areas. The valet from the hotel heard your American accent and because so many Americans can't resist tipping they wonder if you will do the same.

 

That is why so many here so please don't and just smile and say thank you unless they have gone out of their way to do extra work. We are trying to discourage the expectation of a tip. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 3:50 PM, Tedferg said:

Could not agree more, just making the point that it is sometimes hard to know what is expected. As stated earlier, I went with the expectation that tips were NOT expected. But receipts with Tip Suggestion and Tip Jars at cash registers mad me say Hmmm.

I own a restaurant in NZ.  We have a tip jar.  Tips are not expected but sometimes customers will put extra cash or change in there.  Some businesses use the money towards a staff function at Christmastime or split the cash once a year.  To be honest, tipping is a curse, I don't encourage it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

We have an upcoming New Zealand cruise with a land tour of Australia.  The Princess site suggests tipping the land tour guide, but the amount suggested was last updated in 2015!
 

Any advice regarding tipping needs / expectations or recommendations for our booked half day tours in New Zealand?  We have these booked through the ship.

 

Also, any updated recommendations for tipping the Australia land tour guide?  The Princess 2015 recommendations were $30 to $50 per person for the six day tour.

 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, coco2/27 said:

Addendum:  I just read through the whole thread, and see that excursion guides / drivers don’t expect tips.  
 

Just one last check regarding the land tour guide???

 

🙏


I asked the question thread #25, and the answers provided by locals, #26 to 29 and then again from 39, lead me to understand: no tipping, period. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I am on a NZ cruise now and following the advice about no tipping. However, not everyone got that memo! Fellow passengers have been tipping tour guides and bus drivers, mostly non-AUS/NZ passengers. But it just feels awkward to NOT tip when nearly everyone else does. My husband is questioning my no-tipping stance because of the tipping done by all the others. So, as much as AUS/NZ would like to be a non-tipping culture, I think it has firmly established itself in at least the cruising sector. I know some will be riled by this but I’m not saying that I think there should be tipping, just that there really already is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...