Carnival Magic - any hidden gems, tips and secrets?

svmodi

Was on the Magic out of Norfolk last June, and booked for this May.  TBH, I don't love the ship, but we live 15 minutes from the port.  Actually pretty excited for the Sunshine, haven't sailed on her, but from the tour videos I've watch, it looks decent.

I know it doesn't bother some people, but I find the color scheme and decor of the Magic to be downright unpleasant.  I love some loud ship decor, but the green and brown just isn't it for me lol.  And those lights...

I was just on the Glory 2 weeks ago, and I really prefer the Conquest class, except for the lack of a few bells and whistles.  I actually like that the atrium was the hub of activity on the Glory.  Ocean Plaza just didn't have the same vibe for me.  And I liked being able to stand on the different decks in the atrium and listen to music and watch people dance.   Alchemy is busy enough, but being the main bar for Ocean Plaza made getting a drink there quite the feat.  Not too mention the constant trivia and music right there (which I love... just not right there) took away a little of the glam of Alchemy.  I do like the deck 5 lanai type deck on the Magic though.  With Pig and Anchor there, I'd probably say this is the hidden gem of the ship.  Although why the "whirlpools" on that deck aren't heated doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

Most of my tips and tricks have been taken by others. Caveat though, the Magic is my favorite Carnival ship and class, for what we enjoy about cruising.

Spa - thalassotherapy pool is amazing on this class.

Deck 5 - 2 hot tubs per side. My wife burns easy and we can switch sides depending on the sun and she can stay in the shade. We alternate between hot tub and reading in the loungers. Many times it takes until later in the cruise before people discover the hot tubs on that level. And I love that deck goes around the ship, so it's the real place to walk laps.

Embarkation day - BBQ is open and uncrowded. Great food when you get on. The BBQ is open for lunch on sea days as well.

Sail away location - "secret decks" all the way forward on decks 6, 7, 9, 10, & 11. You go past the cabins and there will be doors that lead outside. I think deck 9 has wings, so it might be the best spot. Here is a website with more info.

Relaxation area - there is a spot in the spa area that has lots of couches and cold water and air conditioner and it is open to the public. Picture here.

Ship coins - There is a mystery coin that you can look for from when the ship was commissioned. On the magic it was on deck 14. . Thread about the Magic coin.

Adults only aft pool - Sometimes the aft pool will be adults only. It varies depending on how many kids are on board I think.

Sodas - 12 pack of soda (cans) and 750ml of wine can be carried on

• Like 4

2 hours ago, five. said:

Adults only aft pool - Sometimes the aft pool will be adults only. It varies depending on how many kids are on board I think.

I have never experienced this on the Magic (or Breeze).  In fact, the only time I can recall experiencing that was on Elation a long, long time ago, and even then I wouldn't trust my memory.

How recently have you seen adults-only for an aft (or any non-Serenity) pool?.

24 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I have never experienced this on the Magic (or Breeze).  In fact, the only time I can recall experiencing that was on Elation a long, long time ago, and even then I wouldn't trust my memory.

Just off the Glory 2/12, and this was the case - however, very limited amount of kids on the ship.

Was on the Magic last June, and this was not the case.  

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Sept 2019, before the lockdown was the last time we were on Magic. I will note that we traditionally cruise during times kids will be in school, specifically so that there will be less kids. I can't say for sure about the aft pool kids situation on that sailing. I have a few memories of sunsets at the aft pool, but the sailings blur together.

17 hours ago, five. said:

Most of my tips and tricks have been taken by others. Caveat though, the Magic is my favorite Carnival ship and class, for what we enjoy about cruising.

Embarkation day - BBQ is open and uncrowded. Great food when you get on. The BBQ is open for lunch on sea days as well.

Cucina is also open on embark day and is yet another alternative to Embark Day Buffet Madness (tm).   We almost felt guilty up there relaxing, no problem finding a table, etc.   (I made a beeline for Mongolian Wok as soon as we boarded and beat the rush...and the long line.  I'm an Asian stir-fry FIEND. 🙂 )  

17 hours ago, five. said:

Sail away location - "secret decks" all the way forward on decks 6, 7, 9, 10, & 11. You go past the cabins and there will be doors that lead outside. I think deck 9 has wings, so it might be the best spot. Here is a website with more info.

There's a spot on the "secret" decks forward where you can stand behind the forward "riding light" and be in near-TOTAL darkness.   On a clear night without much of a moon, haze or nearby city lights, let your eyes adjust...and behold the Majesty of the Night Sky, including the disc of our Milky Way galaxy arching up and over you.  We were in awe; I hadn't seen the Milky Way like THAT since I was a kid.   

Also of note:  above each bridge "wing" on Deck 9 forward you'll find an electronic gyrocompass.  They are protected by Velcro coverings but you can take a look at them.  Please replace the Velcro cover when done.  

Edited by Pellaz
Added gyrocompass info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 1:28 AM, knagl said:

On embarkation day, you can avoid the chaos and crowds by going to Cucina Del Capitano for lunch (free -- lunch there is included with your cruise fare). The lido buffet was a madhouse, but we nearly had the Cucina to ourselves with plenty of room for our carry-on bags next to us at our table. It was a nice, relaxing way to start our trip while waiting for our stateroom to be available.

As others said, the spa facility on the Magic is excellent. If you're a spa person at all, consider getting the spa pass (or book a spa cabin which includes access).

We have a cruise booked from Norfolk in August and this will be our first time on the Magic. I can't recall eating at the Italian place for lunch or ever. I look forward to that.  My husband really enjoys the Mongolian Wok. That's where he eats most days.

I really wish a spa room were available. I absolutely love the Thalasso Pool, or T-Pool. We really enjoyed this on Carnival Dream! Upgrade fairy, if you're listening, An upgrade to Spa Balcony would be considered:;

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, csoud68 said:

Secret tip.....The cloud 9 spa has fabulously large tiled showers, large sinks, lockers, towels and hairdryers for use by everyone onboard.

I used them all week and let my wife have the bathroom  to herself. I felt like a king. She thought I was nuts until I showed her the pics.

The forward elevators go directly to the spa..deck 12. I could be there in 2 minutes even though my room was on deck 3..

We booked a spa suite on our May cruise to enjoy that area more.

I just watched a couple of youtube videos and it looked like just one large shower.  Are there others that weren't shown?

16 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If everyone posted the "secrets", they would no longer be secret, would they?

There are no secrets...people just like to think there are because it makes them feel like they have information nobody else has. You find this all the time on travel sites. "Disney World Hacks" etc...there are no secrets or hacks to Disney World except keep your wallet in reach at all times. It's the most traveled piece of land on the face of the earth.

20 hours ago, 2aprilbabies said:

I just watched a couple of youtube videos and it looked like just one large shower.  Are there others that weren't shown?

There is definitely more than 1 shower. My cruise is 1 month out..I'm ready to go..

Edited by csoud68

19 hours ago, mz-s said:

There are no secrets...people just like to think there are because it makes them feel like they have information nobody else has. You find this all the time on travel sites. "Disney World Hacks" etc...there are no secrets or hacks to Disney World except keep your wallet in reach at all times. It's the most traveled piece of land on the face of the earth.

Oh boy..From now on you are to be officially known as "Captain Obvious".

Of course there are no true "secrets".

But we all understand the true spirit of what is being asked. 

I gave mine above. I know it's no secret but it sure seems so since I seem to be the only one enjoying the experience..

But again captain, you are right.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

The main thing I love about every ship is Blue Iguana Cantina.  For some reason its so criminally overlooked on every ship.  So not much of a tip, but rather an observation.

I love their breakfast burritos made to order.  They will also make you fried or scrambled eggs over where the arepas are (or at least they did on the Panorama)!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

I love their breakfast burritos made to order.  They will also make you fried or scrambled eggs over where the arepas are (or at least they did on the Panorama)!

I actually eat every breakfast here.  Last cruise I never even went in Lido buffet area.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 1:16 PM, skywalkr2 said:

The main thing I love about every ship is Blue Iguana Cantina.  For some reason its so criminally overlooked on every ship.  So not much of a tip, but rather an observation.

And it's especially overlooked for breakfast.  I've gone to get a breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana, sat down, and was about finished devouring it by the time my friends had joined me after waiting in line for the buffet.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 8:27 PM, djfrangella said:

We are on in August. How much are the day passes? Can you buy them ahead of time or when you get on the ship?  

We will be on the Magic next month. Since we are booked in aft balconies instead of our normal spa balconies, we bought the spa passes. I think they were $90 each for the 5 day cruise. 

It used to be, though I've been hearing rumblings this may no longer be the case, that on port days at the Red Frog they would have happy hour specials from about 2 to 5pm. We would buy a bucket of beers and stash them in our fridge. May be worth double checking on though. 

Maybe someone will correct me here but I think it's deck 4 and 5, in order to get to the aft of the ship you have to go around on the starboard side (right side) of the ship. In other words, there's only one hall that leads to the back unless you go out on the promenade. Not a big deal but that did throw us off when we first got on and were trying to figure out how to get to the back. 

We often had a hard time finding chairs on sea days so while I hate chair hogs, you almost have to get up early and find spots in the morning. 

I don't have anything new to add other than agree with:

The forward decks are a must at night as someone else noted. My teenage daughter got tears in her eyes when we were out watching the stars. 

Cucina del Capitano was a nice place for embarkation lunch as it was quieter. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...