Utterly stumped about what to do in Ketchikan. Help?

Sigyn

2 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

So sorry to hear that slider, hope you get well!!

Thanks.  I was one of the early "catchers" of the 'vid, before they had even knew what it was in late January 2020.  I still have some lingering things from it and the occasional bout with vertigo is one of them.  I'm going on the April 29 cruise.  Have to make an appointment with a physical therapist to do another Epley Maneuver on me to see if that helps.  Otherwise, I'll be pounding the Bonine and Zyrtec...

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2023 at 6:57 AM, JRoyston said:

We did a walking tour in Ketchikan. Our guide was one of the indigenous people, and he told us all about the traditions of his tribe, as well as the local history and sights. We only walked around Ketchikan, so it wasn’t strenuous, but I learned so much more than I would have without the tour. We then had loads of time afterwards to walk around Creek Street and out to the totem Heritage Centre by ourselves. 

Sounds great! What company did you use?

• 7 months later...
On 4/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, Boo's Mom said:

I would recommend a fishing charter.  You do not have to have ANY fishing experience.  Or, you could have lots of experience.  That's the beauty of a charter.  They will assist as little or as much as you want/need.  

Book a short one.  Perhaps 3 hours. 

And if you want to shorten the excursion while you are out on the water - they will do whatever you want. (they won't refund any of your $$ though). 

I have booked private fishing charters many times in Alaska.  It is a beautiful Alaska experience.  And if you catch fish and want to ship it home, the charter company will take your fish to get processed and shipped.  It's expensive (shipping fish home) but the fish makes great Alaska souvenirs! - way better than a t-shirt or a mug. 😌

Just some thoughts to consider. 

Hi!  I found this post while doing a search for fishing in Alaska.  Can you recommend any fishing charters for Juneau, Ketchikan or Seward?

On 1/28/2023 at 7:20 AM, Sigyn said:

We have booked excursions in all of the ports for our July cruise, except Ketchikan. It's been the toughest one. We are doing a float plane over five glaciers and a salmon cookout at Taku Lodge in Juneau. We are doing a helicopter to a glacier and sled dogs in Skagway. We are doing a whale watching and bear sighting cruise in Icy Strait Point. We are doing the small boat cruise to see Hubbard Glacier up close, ahead of our ship. 

But in Ketchikan, I'm stumped. My husband doesn't want to do anything too athletic there, like a canoe trip across a lake and a 5-mile hike. He said, "we're not those people" (although apparently I still think we are, in my heart, since I keep trying to book stuff like that.) He's willing to do a 2-3 mile hike through the rainforest, but if it's raining, that would be kinda meh and I know it rains 300 days a year in Ketchikan. He said he'd be happy doing a pub crawl and eating in Ketchikan, but I read that people aren't happy any longer with the crab "feast" at George Inlet. Then I read that Misty Fjords is a must see. But we're already doing one float plane and one helicopter ride. That's expensive. And really, don't want to jump on a flying machine at every port. 

The lumberjack show holds zero appeal. As does the boat with the crab catch from the deadliest catch. Looking at the stadium seating on the boat and how it's kind of a show seems unappealing to me, particularly since Alaska has shut down crab fishing again this year. Would feel like we're doing something we're not supposed to and I wonder what they even do with the ban in place: https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/alaska-shuts-down-crab-seasons-after-dismal-survey-results I mean, the show will go on, with other crab caught, but it does dilute the whole experience https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/deadliest-catch-returns-in-2023-despite-closing-of-fisheries

I would like to see something more real, that feels like Alaska. But have zero idea what that would be in Ketchikan. It's our first port on our trip so that matters, too.

Anyway...thoughts? Experiences you really enjoyed that you'd like to share with me? 

@Sigyn so what did you decide to do? Did you enjoy it? 

On 1/28/2023 at 7:44 AM, naturelovergirl said:

We are planning kayaking in Ketchikan: Specifically the Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak Tour offered through our ship in the morning.

After we get back, we plan to walk through Creek Street and see what we see. I would like to go to some of the museums in Ketchikan… particularly the Totem Heritage Center and the Tongass Historical Museum.

@naturelovergirl how was your excursion?  I'm researching for my July 2024 cruise.  Thx

2 hours ago, cynt said:

@naturelovergirl how was your excursion?  I'm researching for my July 2024 cruise.  Thx

Well

Funny story… we changed excursions before the trip… and then the other excursion was cancelled for the rainy weather on the day

So in the end we ended up with no excursion and hiked all around Ketchikan in heavy rain part of the time and drizzle the rest

Turned out to be a very fun and nature filled day of hiking and watching the salmon running

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 4:26 PM, Rock Chalk Jayhawk said:

I'm having the same issue as you. Our cruise isn't until May 2024, so obviously I can't see the excursions offered on our ship. However, I've just been researching so I can have an idea of what we might want to do  - and come up with how much we need to budget. I'm having a hard time with this port. My boyfriend would like to go fishing, but I don't fish so I'm not paying that kind of money to ride on the boat. We do enjoy kayaking, but I'm wondering if it will be too cold in May! I have a lot of time to research, but this might be a port that we just explore on our own and not pay any money for an excursion. 

Just curious, what did you all decide?  Our alaskan cruise is a little later on in the year, but I am trying to research and get our ports finalized.   This was the one port I think we could do on the cheap (shuttle to Totem Blight then walk around creek street) but would love to hear what you all did

31 minutes ago, KittyCruz said:

Just curious, what did you all decide?  Our alaskan cruise is a little later on in the year, but I am trying to research and get our ports finalized.   This was the one port I think we could do on the cheap (shuttle to Totem Blight then walk around creek street) but would love to hear what you all did

I think but I think the all day shuttle is actually $5 pp all day but goes to Totem Bight, Saxman, Creek St, and the Heritage Museum (i forgot bc its so low). Returning next year ~~~

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I think but I think the all day shuttle is actually $5 pp all day but goes to Totem Bight, Saxman, Creek St, and the Heritage Museum (i forgot bc its so low). 

Thanks!  I'm thinking the local shuttle will be the way to go and let us check out the sites we want to see/grab lunch and do some shopping.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ombud said:

I think but I think the all day shuttle is actually $5 pp all day but goes to Totem Bight, Saxman, Creek St, and the Heritage Museum (i forgot bc its so low). Returning next year ~~~

No.  If you’re talking about the free downtown shuttle it loops past the docks to the lumberjack show, Creek Street, the Totem Heritage Museum, the town museum, and the Safeway mall. It does not go to Totem Bight or Saxman.  It is free.  There are city buses that go to Totem Bight (allow 3 hours).

28 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

No.  If you’re talking about the free downtown shuttle it loops past the docks to the lumberjack show, Creek Street, the Totem Heritage Museum, the town museum, and the Safeway mall. It does not go to Totem Bight or Saxman.  It is free.  There are city buses that go to Totem Bight (allow 3 hours).

Not talking about the free one. Talking about the bus that goes to both Totem Blight and Saxman. Once I got off in Totem Bight I had enough time to wander there then just catch the next bus to Saxman. But things might have changed since 6/28/2022. 

Missed Skagway as the pier had just been damaged and went to ISP instead. Preferred ISP back then as it wasn't all built up

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Not talking about the free one. Talking about the bus that goes to both Totem Blight and Saxman. Once I got off in Totem Bight I had enough time to wander there then just catch the next bus to Saxman. But things might have changed since 6/28/2022. 

Missed Skagway as the pier had just been damaged and went to ISP instead. Preferred ISP back then as it wasn't all built up

The city buses go out to Saxman and Totem Bight. It’s $2 each way.  Buses run once an hour.

10 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:
35 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Expand  

The city buses go out to Saxman and Totem Bight. It’s $2 each way.  Buses run once an hour

👍$5 all day pass

https://www.kgbak.us/287/Fares