Utterly stumped about what to do in Ketchikan. Help?

Sigyn

We have booked excursions in all of the ports for our July cruise, except Ketchikan. It's been the toughest one. We are doing a float plane over five glaciers and a salmon cookout at Taku Lodge in Juneau. We are doing a helicopter to a glacier and sled dogs in Skagway. We are doing a whale watching and bear sighting cruise in Icy Strait Point. We are doing the small boat cruise to see Hubbard Glacier up close, ahead of our ship. 

But in Ketchikan, I'm stumped. My husband doesn't want to do anything too athletic there, like a canoe trip across a lake and a 5-mile hike. He said, "we're not those people" (although apparently I still think we are, in my heart, since I keep trying to book stuff like that.) He's willing to do a 2-3 mile hike through the rainforest, but if it's raining, that would be kinda meh and I know it rains 300 days a year in Ketchikan. He said he'd be happy doing a pub crawl and eating in Ketchikan, but I read that people aren't happy any longer with the crab "feast" at George Inlet. Then I read that Misty Fjords is a must see. But we're already doing one float plane and one helicopter ride. That's expensive. And really, don't want to jump on a flying machine at every port. 

The lumberjack show holds zero appeal. As does the boat with the crab catch from the deadliest catch. Looking at the stadium seating on the boat and how it's kind of a show seems unappealing to me, particularly since Alaska has shut down crab fishing again this year. Would feel like we're doing something we're not supposed to and I wonder what they even do with the ban in place: https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/alaska-shuts-down-crab-seasons-after-dismal-survey-results I mean, the show will go on, with other crab caught, but it does dilute the whole experience https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/deadliest-catch-returns-in-2023-despite-closing-of-fisheries

I would like to see something more real, that feels like Alaska. But have zero idea what that would be in Ketchikan. It's our first port on our trip so that matters, too.

Anyway...thoughts? Experiences you really enjoyed that you'd like to share with me? 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

We are planning kayaking in Ketchikan: Specifically the Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak Tour offered through our ship in the morning.

After we get back, we plan to walk through Creek Street and see what we see. I would like to go to some of the museums in Ketchikan… particularly the Totem Heritage Center and the Tongass Historical Museum.

• Like 1

We did a walking tour in Ketchikan. Our guide was one of the indigenous people, and he told us all about the traditions of his tribe, as well as the local history and sights. We only walked around Ketchikan, so it wasn’t strenuous, but I learned so much more than I would have without the tour. We then had loads of time afterwards to walk around Creek Street and out to the totem Heritage Centre by ourselves. 

• Like 2

Visit either Totem Bight or Saxman, both easy by public  bus, and explore town on foot, including Creek Street.. Pick up a free DIY walking map from the  tourist info booth at the dock.  There are also good and really inexpensive buses running around town and a free shuttle bus.

We really liked Totem Bight. It is a State Historic Park and plenty online info if you search. It sits waterside and the public bus from town has stops almost at the entrance.  It is  very  easy to get to, is flat for strolling around and has quite a few points of interest .  Entry is also only a few $s as it is a State Park and there is a very good gift shop by the entrance. (or was pre-pandemic)

Strolling Ketchikan and visiting  Totem Bight make for an easy, low key and inexpensive day out with interesting sights. along the way.

Others go to Saxman which we didn't so  I know nothing about it.Find info on both online.  If you cannot decide between the two,, check reviews for both on Tripadvisor Ketchikan to help you decide.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 3

https://www.ketchikanadventurevue.com/

UTV's with the above link is awesome. 

I've also enjoyed the Adventure Karts and the Misty Fjord boat tour, both thru cruise line. 

These are "the real Alaska" feel you mention and can also fill your young at heart spirit without Hubby having to hike for 5 miles. 

and another vote for Totem Bite. Pretty Cool! 

Patty 

• Like 1

Ketchikan...This is an easy one to recommend.

The Bearing Sea Fisherman's Tour...One of the best excursions there. Check pricing by your cruiseline vs booking directly on their website. We just did this excursion (again) this past September !!!

WOW...so sorry you have such a negative view of this amazing tour !!!

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

I have been trying to look into fishing excursions for Ketchikan. I would probably prefer a land based one, but most of those require flights somewhere and are too long. Found some nice boat ones, but they are longer than I'm looking for as well (5 hours plus as opposed to say 3).

I'm having the same issue as you. Our cruise isn't until May 2024, so obviously I can't see the excursions offered on our ship. However, I've just been researching so I can have an idea of what we might want to do  - and come up with how much we need to budget. I'm having a hard time with this port. My boyfriend would like to go fishing, but I don't fish so I'm not paying that kind of money to ride on the boat. We do enjoy kayaking, but I'm wondering if it will be too cold in May! I have a lot of time to research, but this might be a port that we just explore on our own and not pay any money for an excursion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Ketchikan...This is an easy one to recommend.

The Bearing Sea Fisherman's Tour...One of the best excursions there. Check pricing by your cruiseline vs booking directly on their website. We just did this excursion (again) this past September !!!

WOW...so sorry you have such a negative view of this amazing tour !!!

Okay, thanks! My negative view isn't based on reality. I should probably watch a video of people on it. 🙂

7 hours ago, njsmom said:

Okay, thanks! My negative view isn't based on reality. I should probably watch a video of people on it. 🙂

Hopefully you will watch the video and see it's a fun excursion.

Kentucky...where?

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hopefully you will watch the video and see it's a fun excursion.

Kentucky...where?

I watched a few videos and it does look fun. I guess it's the fishing aspect that disturbs me. I went halibut fishing when I was in Alaska in 1999 and while it was a really cool experience, I got seasick for several hours and it was awful. I know the "dangerous catch" boat doesn't go into rough waters so that won't be an issue, but I think I have PTSD in relation to fishing boats in Alaska! So I'm looking for all sorts of reasons to avoid one now without realizing that's the real reason. Tell me more about what the excursion is like. I'm super curious!

We live in Louisville. What part of Kentucky did you originate from? I'm guessing Ashland. (I"m smart like that.) I also lived in California for a long time. Started in Kentucky, moved to SoCal, then moved back to my home state to raise a family.

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:16 AM, edinburgher said:

Visit either Totem Bight or Saxman, both easy by public  bus,

I know the article sent out by Cruise Critic says Ketchikan is a port to miss. I couldn't disagree more!! Easy bus ride up to Totem Bight. Free bus ride out to Totem Heritage Center. Honestly it's my favorite Alaska port!!! But I love nature walks at my leisure, and this is the easiest one there. And history that's different from my own. If you want a repeat of what you get in the lower 48, you might not enjoy it.  But if you want Alaska you just might love it as much as I do

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I know the article sent out by Cruise Critic says Ketchikan is a port to miss. I couldn't disagree more!! Easy bus ride up to Totem Bight. Free bus ride out to Totem Heritage Center. Honestly it's my favorite Alaska port!!! But I love nature walks at my leisure, and this is the easiest one there. And history that's different from my own. If you want a repeat of what you get in the lower 48, you might not enjoy it.  But if you want Alaska you just might love it as much as I do

I didn't see that article!

11 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I didn't see that article!

This is the article link (from my email): https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2035&et_cid=3659715&et_rid=255153109&et_referrer=Boards - CC-US&address=SKFyRIqtjDWvOdsUvvopN0Pc2quU8EiQ#ketchikan

Free city bus in town (Clark St & Totem Heritage Museum) $5 all day regional bus (Ward Cove, Totem Bight, Saxman)

Edited by Ombud

On 1/28/2023 at 8:20 AM, njsmom said:

...But in Ketchikan, I'm stumped....

Speaking of stumps, Ketchikan is well known for totem poles.  As a matter of fact, the highers concentration of totem poles is supposedly in Ketchikan.

There are a great number of exhibits associated with totem poles.  There is a Totem Bight State Park, a Totem Heritage Center, Saxman Totem Park, etc. Further, you'll see totem poles throughout the city, in various city parks, bus stops, etc. 

Sure, many of the exhibits are modern kitchy totem poles put together for the benefit of tourists, but there seem to be plenty of genuine historical artifacts, and recent totem poles of the Tlingit people.

• Like 2

I know you don't want to get on another flying machine, but we did the float plane over Misty Fjords and wow!! It was amazing! We landed on a lake out in the middle of absolute nowhere and got to get off and explore. Both times we've been in Ketchikan we had absolutely gorgeous weather with no rain, so I know we got lucky. But being out on that lake in the middle of nowhere was seriously magical.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

I know you don't want to get on another flying machine, but we did the float plane over Misty Fjords and wow!! It was amazing! We landed on a lake out in the middle of absolute nowhere and got to get off and explore. Both times we've been in Ketchikan we had absolutely gorgeous weather with no rain, so I know we got lucky. But being out on that lake in the middle of nowhere was seriously magical.

I've done Misty Fjords by boat and seaplane, agree it's beautiful! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Do you recall which tour company you used?

8 hours ago, cw2go said:

I've done Misty Fjords by boat and seaplane, agree it's beautiful! 

Which did you prefer?

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I didn't read through all the thread, but Ketchikan has black bears.  Maybe you want to pet one?

Gosh, a girl can hope!!! 😂

10 hours ago, njsmom said:

Do you recall which tour company you used?

Which did you prefer?

For the flight: Seawind Aviation 

For the boat: Celebrity cruise line. 

Enjoyed them both so preference is a 50/50 toss for me.

Boat has a better price point and has a better guarantee regarding weather but it's a bit of time on water before hitting the actual Misty Fjords National Monument. Seaplane was a different perspective from above. 

Knowing me, I'd ask my DH to pick between the two. Then if it went wrong, it'd be all his fault LOL! 😁

Patty 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cw2go said:

For the flight: Seawind Aviation 

For the boat: Celebrity cruise line. 

Enjoyed them both so preference is a 50/50 toss for me.

Boat has a better price point and has a better guarantee regarding weather but it's a bit of time on water before hitting the actual Misty Fjords National Monument. Seaplane was a different perspective from above. 

Knowing me, I'd ask my DH to pick between the two. Then if it went wrong, it'd be all his fault LOL! 😁

Patty 

I like the way you think! 🙂

• Haha 1