Tipping when staying in Haven suite

sldmh

What is the normal tip amount for your butler when staying in a Haven suite?  I have read tons that tell you to tip them directly since they are not a part of the shared tips but not sure what the normal range is.    We have an upcoming 15 day cruise and I am making sure I have everything ready to go.

Thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClarkBHM said:

Lots and lots of differing opinions, and lots of disagreements. I suggest searching the forums. 

This ^^

However, assuming similar requests and service, we tip approximately the same way we tip the Butler when we have a suite on a ship without a Haven, be it NCL or other cruiselines.  What we request isn't much different because of the Haven location.

(We don't sail on the larger ships, so there is no Haven restaurant, in case that might have made a difference.)

GC

28 minutes ago, sldmh said:

What is the normal tip amount for your butler when staying in a Haven suite?  I have read tons that tell you to tip them directly since they are not a part of the shared tips but not sure what the normal range is.    We have an upcoming 15 day cruise and I am making sure I have everything ready to go. Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

With regard to reading tons of information, read NCL's website "Certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth programme staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/cruise-faq/how-to-honour-good-service-cene

When asked, here's the general guidelines we use:

We stay in the Haven/Suites about half the time. Regardless of stateroom class, we would tip a room steward $5-$10/per persons in the stateroom/per day. If there is are waiters or assistant waiters who we see frequently, around $50+ at the end of the cruise. 

We tip a butler $10-$15/per person in stateroom/per day.

We tip the Concierge $5-$10/per person in stateroom/per day. 

We will tip bar waiters and bar tenders $1 per drink. By the second or third day, our drinks are being prepared by the time we get to the bar (Birds are creatures of habit, so that works just fine)

We always do Hero cards which help the crew members in their evaluations and progression in the cruise line. We take the time to do a good recommendation (not just a "good job" card). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

With regard to reading tons of information, read NCL's website "Certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth programme staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

We stay in the Haven/Suites about half the time. Regardless of stateroom class, we would tip a room steward $5-$10/per persons in the stateroom/per day. If there is are waiters or assistant waiters who we see frequently, around $50+ at the end of the cruise. 

We will tip bar waiters and bar tenders $1 per drink. By the second or third day, our drinks are being prepared by the time we get to the bar (Birds are creatures of habit, so that works just fine)

We always do Hero cards which help the crew members in their evaluations and progression in the cruise line. We take the time to do a good recommendation (not just a "good job" card). 

Thank you this is very helpful- funny how NCL charges the suite/Haven extra which I always thought because there were additional people who service only those in these areas- so that extra $5 would go into that fund that they would get some monies from our daily service charges. We tip above the usual service charge for our stewards when we previously cruise.  Glad to have a baseline for the Haven.   

Do you give any tip at the start of the cruise- or just at the end to your butler & concierge ?

• Like 2

We tend to tip using the same guidelines as the Bird when in the Haven or Suites with Butler/Concierge service. 

After meals, we may leave $5 or more in cash for the server especially at specialty dining restaurants.  

The $1/drink tip results in very fast bar service throughout the ship by day 2-3 when we return to the venue. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We tip at the end of the cruise. On the last day, there will be envelopes on the Concierge's desk for gratuities. 

I always bring thank you cards and have never noticed envelopes at the concierge desk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I just printed this out to save with my cruise papers....I always seem to forget the suggested amount and have to do a search.  Now it will be at my finger tips - I am going to scan and add it to my desktop.  Thank you!!

When you tip 5$-10 per day plus all the others over daily service charge ,,,..you are basically doubling your expenses ….thinking an extra 50$ per day per person …minimum 

after paying for cruise , flight hotel etc ….is that still worth it ?

i.m bery content with balcony none of these extra expenses 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

When you tip 5$-10 per day plus all the others over daily service charge ,,,..you are basically doubling your expenses ….thinking an extra 50$ per day per person …minimum after paying for cruise , flight hotel etc ….is that still worth it ? i.m bery content with balcony none of these extra expenses 

You don’t know what you are missing. 

On the other hand, the stateroom we're looking at later in the year starts at $4500 per person going up to $6800 per person. So, a $150 tip to a room steward who must maintain our large room to a much higher standard than a balcony is in the noise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

I just printed this out to save with my cruise papers....I always seem to forget the suggested amount and have to do a search.  Now it will be at my finger tips - I am going to scan and add it to my desktop.  Thank you!!

Just bear in mind that the "suggested" amount is the recommendation of one individual CC poster, not NCL or even a travel agent.

You should also factor in how often you utilize the services of each of these people and adjust accordingly (up or down.)

Also, for example, a butler services about 12 cabins. At $15 per person/per day with an average cabin occupancy of 3 people, for a 7-day cruise that would mean a single butler gets tipped $3,780 per week in addition to their salary. That is not happening.

So again, bear in mind that what you are reading here are just suggestions, not guidelines.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Just bear in mind that the "suggested" amount is the recommendation of one individual CC poster, not NCL or even a travel agent.

You should also factor in how often you utilize the services of each of these people and adjust accordingly (up or down.)

Also, for example, a butler services about 12 cabins. At $15 per person/per day with an average cabin occupancy of 3 people, for a 7-day cruise that would mean a single butler gets tipped $3,780 per week in addition to their salary. That is not happening.

So again, bear in mind that what you are reading here are just suggestions, not guidelines.

100% agrees. They are suggestions and, at least for the OP who is on a longer cruise, you need to figure out what makes sense for the cruise. 

Just remember that the cruise line takes into consideration that an employee gets gratuities when compensating them. And a chunk of the "tip" is going to get the employee up to their minimum contract salary. Let me give you an example from down the street where I live... Minimum wage in my town is $16/hour. If an employee receives tips, an employer can pay them as little as $5/hour and assumes that the first $11/hour of their tips goes to getting them up to minimum wage. So, if a waiter works a 6 hour shift, the first $66 of their tips only gets them to minimum wage (which isn't much) and which is hard when people say "gosh, this waiter has 10 tables, so I only need to leave a $1". 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

100% agrees. They are suggestions and, at least for the OP who is on a longer cruise, you need to figure out what makes sense for the cruise. 

Just remember that the cruise line takes into consideration that an employee gets gratuities when compensating them. And a chunk of the "tip" is going to get the employee up to their minimum contract salary. Let me give you an example from down the street where I live... Minimum wage in my town is $16/hour. If an employee receives tips, an employer can pay them as little as $5/hour and assumes that the first $11/hour of their tips goes to getting them up to minimum wage. So, if a waiter works a 6 hour shift, the first $66 of their tips only gets them to minimum wage (which isn't much) and which is hard when people say "gosh, this waiter has 10 tables, so I only need to leave a $1". 

I hear you and I agree. I just don't want folks to be afraid to try the Haven or bid on the Haven because they think they are required to pay an additional $1,000 in tips to everyone who works in the Haven.

For example, I never tip the Haven Restaurant maitre d' or waitstaff because I never eat in the Haven Restaurant (I'm disabled so I have meals delivered to my cabin.) That said, I utilize my butlers very much and so lately I've been tipping them an average of $50 per day (and I'm alone. )  So it's all very individual, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I understand that this is a guideline and in the past I have actually tipped my room steward more than the butler and concierge.  We saw the butler only a few times but he always left us treats so we tipped him.  The concierge introduced herself on day one and we never needed her services or saw her again until our last morning.. Of course we tipped her also but our room steward went above and beyond - he was always smiling, sharing pictures of his family and just so friendly. 

11 hours ago, sldmh said:

What is the normal tip amount for your butler when staying in a Haven suite?  I have read tons that tell you to tip them directly since they are not a part of the shared tips but not sure what the normal range is.    We have an upcoming 15 day cruise and I am making sure I have everything ready to go.

Thank you

No normal amount. It all depends what they do and don't do for you. Our Butler did a few things we asked, and a few things we didn't ask. Our Concierge one did one thing, didn't have much a need for him. Our room steward was fantastic. She ended up with a larger tip than our Butler or Concierge. If you use the Haven bar staff you should tip them. 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I would like to start doing the "Hero" cards.  Where do we get these?  Are they at the main customer service desk or can I get them at the Haven Concierge desk?  We are staying in the Haven for our next cruise. 

4 hours ago, TSUmom said:

I always bring thank you cards and have never noticed envelopes at the concierge desk 

We also have brought cards in the past. It gives the personal touch and we actually didn't see our Room Steward the last morning- so we left it on the counter for him. 

24 minutes ago, fsa1155 said:

I would like to start doing the "Hero" cards.  Where do we get these?  Are they at the main customer service desk or can I get them at the Haven Concierge desk?  We are staying in the Haven for our next cruise. 

Not all ships do the the Hero cards- the Getaway had them in Oct but the Pearl CS desk had no idea what I was talking about and kept pointing to the tell Mario box.  The MDR did have a comment card re service at each table every night. Funny not sure how much they are read - cause one of the times I asked for the Hero Cards- the CSR gave me a few of them - and about half of them were already filled out- someone must of mixed the completed ones with the blank ones. 

You do need the employee's full name- to ensure they get credit with the hero cards- we've started taking pictures of these crew members- most cheerfully pose as they understand why. It also helps when completed the post cruise survey .

They will have them at the Haven Concierge on the last day. We tip the first day a small amount to start ( maybe $20 to the steward and $40 to the butler) when we tell them certain things we need. Type of snacks, that the sofa has to be made up as a bed each night, that we need more towels, hangers etc. we tip the concierge if they arrange to bring usdown to the shows early and if they print out my husbands NY Times crossword each morning with a smile. We don’t drink so we don’t have a beverage package but I find if I tip I’m rarely charged for a coke. We tipped the Maitre’D when he suggested we eat our dinner and come back for dessert after an early show that we wanted to attend. And depending how everything goes we tip our steward and butler and concierge on the last day similar to the quoted suggestions.

3 minutes ago, nmuller328 said:

Not all ships do the the Hero cards- the Getaway had them in Oct but the Pearl CS desk had no idea what I was talking about and kept pointing to the tell Mario box.  The MDR did have a comment card re service at each table every night. Funny not sure how much they are read - cause one of the times I asked for the Hero Cards- the CSR gave me a few of them - and about half of them were already filled out- someone must of mixed the completed ones with the blank ones. 

You do need the employee's full name- to ensure they get credit with the hero cards- we've started taking pictures of these crew members- most cheerfully pose as they understand why. It also helps when completed the post cruise survey .

Good to know will bring extra Thank You cards. 

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

No normal amount. It all depends what they do and don't do for you. Our Butler did a few things we asked, and a few things we didn't ask. Our Concierge one did one thing, didn't have much a need for him. Our room steward was fantastic. She ended up with a larger tip than our Butler or Concierge. If you use the Haven bar staff you should tip them. 

We also tip accordingly, last NCL the butler was useless but the concierge was great so tipped accordingly. When we were in the Haven we also had a young man at the pool area he was wonderful and we tipped him room steward did way more than butler so he received extra.

I bring cash in envelopes marked in the corner for those I know are not included in the service charge, plus a few extra blanks with a couple twenties, fives & tens. Lock these up and then at the end complete the envelopes adding or removing cash according to how much we used each persons service. This way I have the cash on hand, very easy for me to over spend :).

• Like 1

BirdTravels:  I give $1 per drink to bar waiters, but I am not confident on what to leave in restaurants.  I cruise solo and typically dine solo (read my kindle).  I leave $3 in MDRs and $5 in specialty restaurants.  Is that too cheap?