Disembarkation question in Mumbai

Mark42

Hi,

We’re new to Celebrity, However been on many cruises.

recently booked 12 night Singapore- Mumbai route.

last port we arrive in Mumbai on Sunday, 12/10, overnight in Mumbai until Monday, 12/12.

booking our own flights with miles.

flights depart at 4:45am. 
can we disembark at 1am? 
Celebrity CSR said No!

I’m not sure why?
Any input, Thoughts, or advice would be appreciated.

Mark

• Like 1

You will have to clear both Passport Control AND Customs . Even if you preclear Passport Control on arrival, you can only clear Customs when you leave with your luggage. It's entirely possible that there will be no Customs officials in the terminal in the middle of the night. You may have to disembark  earlier and stay at an airport hotel to make your flight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

You will have to clear both Passport Control AND Customs . Even if you preclear Passport Control on arrival, you can only clear Customs when you leave with your luggage. It's entirely possible that there will be no Customs officials in the terminal in the middle of the night. You may have to disembark  earlier and stay at an airport hotel to make your flight.

Exactly.

I've departed a number of times on the first day of a overnight last stop.    Each time I advised the Retreat Host and they made arrangements for the time we wanted to leave the ship.    We had to leave within the hours that they could arrange for Customs and Immigration to be available.    

In Yokohama we departed around 9:00 and made our own arrangements to the airport as Celebrity wasn't offering any transfers on the first day.      In Buenos Aires we were staying at an AirBnB and got off the ship around 2:00 PM.   It was Christmas Eve and we needed to do shopping for a dinner party the next day with friends who stayed aboard.

Both times was really easy and basically just walked off and past the immigration and Customs agents with no interaction.

51 minutes ago, Mark42 said:

So, Can I assume that we can disembark on Sunday the 10th (a day early) with a booked excursion w/airport drop off, and book a flight home ,departing that evening?

if it is a Celebrity excursion then yes.  If you are planning something on your own, not sure.  We have been In a lot of countries and India, by far, was the most difficult.  
For a regular port stop even  with the help of the ships Documentation Officer and the Retreat Manager 1 of the officials  checking passports took passports from about 30 of us and determined he needed to take them to “the office” to stamp them.  Ultimately the Retreat Manager agreed to go with the government official to the official with the passports.  About a hour later they returned and we were allowed to go on with our plans. 

I would before booking flights you check with Celebrity

I can’t locate the contact info, but you need to contact the department that handles downline debarkation.  @Jim_Iain may have the contact info.

Edited by jelayne
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi @Mark42 - just wondering how you got on with this? We have booked the same cruise for 2025 and I was wondering the same. Our Return Flight will likely be 02.30 the following day. What time did you disembark? Did you find an excursion you could do from the ship that dropped you at the airport? Thanks in advance :-)