OBC

ak1004

Hello all,

We booked our first SS cruise a year ago and got $300 OBC per person from the SS consultant (transferred to TA later).

Now did two more bookings and got the same on both. Our friends booked too and got the same. Is it a common practice to get this on all sailings? I know it's not from our TA since she provides a direct rebate.

image.png.403c7c55426e7dc88ae5e3ca7b24926e.png

We've always received a minimum of $300 OBC, a bottle of Dom Perignon, and a shipboard tour.  But, it wasn't because of any TA or SS Consultant, but rather the credit card we used to pay the cruise fare.  So, these would be in addition to any direct rebate provided by a TA.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

We've always received a minimum of $300 OBC, a bottle of Dom Perignon, and a shipboard tour.  But, it wasn't because of any TA or SS Consultant, but rather the credit card we used to pay the cruise fare.  So, these would be in addition to any direct rebate provided by a TA.

The first cruise we booked the OBC was given by the SS consultant. But the other two, I have no idea where did they come from.

Are you saying that yours are perks of the credit card? Are they specifically mentioned in the credit card T&C? We have a premium credit card, but I don’t think this is one of the perks of our card.

not comparing..just curious.. we will find how to use it.. but it’s good to know if this is a permanent perk.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Are you saying that yours are perks of the credit card? Are they specifically mentioned in the credit card T&C?

Yes to your first question and a qualified yes to your second.  For example, the T&C's don't specifically state what champagne or tour we'll receive.  It's just "exclusive amenities" unique to Silversea.  So, in addition to the SS standard Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top champagne received upon embarkation, we also receive a bottle of Dom Perignon in its original packaging.

• Thanks 1

On some Silversea bookings we get SBC from Silversea, but most of the time we get SBC from our TA's travel consortium or the TA (which means it is refundable).  I use AmX Platinum and get the AMX (non refundable) $300 SBC as well as bottle of Dom (on cruise fares less than $15000), since we book mostly expedition cruises the cruise fare is twice to three times that amount and we use Chase Saphire reserve(for 3x cruise fare for case, $25000 cruise fare =$750 cash.  Better than $300 SBC and bottle of Dom.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:48 PM, WesW said:

On some Silversea bookings we get SBC from Silversea, but most of the time we get SBC from our TA's travel consortium or the TA (which means it is refundable).  I use AmX Platinum and get the AMX (non refundable) $300 SBC as well as bottle of Dom (on cruise fares less than $15000), since we book mostly expedition cruises the cruise fare is twice to three times that amount and we use Chase Saphire reserve(for 3x cruise fare for case, $25000 cruise fare =$750 cash.  Better than $300 SBC and bottle of Dom.

Wes, you have me thinking. I've always used the AmEx Platinum for cruises, but since I book my own cabin even when traveling with friends, the AmEx SBC is often reduced to $150.  Given that, it may make sense for me to consider using the Sapphire Reserve for fares over $10,000 or so. 

• Like 1

Follow-up question on the OBC through Amex. We are booked on Muse Alaska-Van in July. We went through TA and paid with Amex Platinum. When I called Amex to ask about the OBC/Champagne benefit I was told we are eligible for $200 OBC and the Champagne. I asked what we needed to do and was told just show your AMEX when checking in on the cruise. Is this everyone else’s experience or do you do something specific to get the OBC and Champagne?    Thanks

I have both Platinum and Green Amex cards, and I charge the cruise on the Amex Green for the 3 points per dollar.  I still get the Platinum OBC because I have the Platinum card and paid with an Amex card.  I don't know if this will work for other varieties of Amex cards besides the Green.  By not charging on the Platinum, though, I do miss out on any trip insurance benefit that it might provide, so I am constantly rethinking this strategy.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, Stumblefoot said:

OBC is hit or miss for us.  Last cruise we got $500, the cruise we just booked,,,  $0 .  I guess I’m going to get a new CCard for cruising.

Edited by crusinbanjo

Silversea changed its policy around a year ago. Previously, Silversea travel consultants could offer OBC‘s. This is now no longer possible. With long cruises, the OBC‘s could be considerable and could pay for lots of evenings in LaDame, special wines, spa treatments, etc.. 

I know that I am not the only person who has ceased booking with a Silversea travel consultant and instead is using a travel agent who offers generous rebates and other perks.

Friends of mine used the same Silversea consultant I used.  In fact, I made the connection. That person is no longer with Silversea, and in light of this fact and the lack of any perks from a Silversea consultant, they turned to a local travel agent who is part of a major consortium.  They were interested in booking a long Silversea cruise with a six figure plus price tag. Cost is not a big issue with these people.   Their new travel agent persuaded them to book with Regent rather than Silversea, as they had intended.  So by sending loyal customers to TAs, Silversea may be inadvertently sending them to other cruise lines.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neilio said:

Follow-up question on the OBC through Amex. We are booked on Muse Alaska-Van in July. We went through TA and paid with Amex Platinum. When I called Amex to ask about the OBC/Champagne benefit I was told we are eligible for $200 OBC and the Champagne. I asked what we needed to do and was told just show your AMEX when checking in on the cruise. Is this everyone else’s experience or do you do something specific to get the OBC and Champagne?    Thanks

You were given incorrect information. 

My understanding is that the independent TA with whom you book needs to provide your booking information to AmEx and will receive a code that they attach to your booking.  I always let the TAs from whom I am obtaining quotes that I'll be paying with the Platinum card to be sure they are aware and these benefits are listed on my invoice, along with any other SBC credit the TA offers.  The person you spoke with at AmEx may not be familiar with the process; you should discuss with the TA with whom you booked.  

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

My understanding is that the independent TA with whom you book needs to provide your booking information to AmEx and will receive a code that they attach to your booking.

Correct.  The benefits have always been listed on our invoice.

• Like 1

I've always paid using my Amex platinum from the UK.... This OBC and plonk has never been added. I suspect this is likely US specific - or have I just missed out? Probably doesn't matter on the next 2 bookings as despite originally been paid for with Amex, they've both been mostly covered by FCC.... Though luckily the first one I managed to get the $500 OBC moved along with the booking. That OBC was not Amex related.

I've tended to use the same SS consultant I've had for the past 8 years (used by another CC member too). Unfortunately (for us) he has been promoted and a great helpful contact lost. The replacement is green and it notices. The TA I have used, gives a great discount of 10% which I ignored for a Jan 2024 booking. The TA has proved not to be easily contactable and certainly seems not to have the attention of SS which is not so good as proven with the numerous issues with a current booking for April. It did all get sorted, but I know it would have been done almost instantly with the consultant we had. 

6 hours ago, les37b said:

I've always paid using my Amex platinum from the UK.... This OBC and plonk has never been added. I suspect this is likely US specific - or have I just missed out? 

I've tended to use the same SS consultant I've had for the past 8 years (used by another CC member too). 

Not sure whether or not this is US Specific, but you can look at the Benefits section for your AmEx account to see. It's part of a Cruise Privileges program that offers benefits on several cruise lines in addition to Silversea. 

But if these benefits are available to U.K. cardholders, you likely have not been receiving them because you booked directly with Silversea. Surprisingly, SS doesn't process the AmEx benefits (at least not in my experience), which is one of the reasons that I do not book directly with SS. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, les37b said:

I've always paid using my Amex platinum from the UK.... This OBC and plonk has never been added. I suspect this is likely US specific - or have I just missed out? Probably doesn't matter on the next 2 bookings as despite originally been paid for with Amex, they've both been mostly covered by FCC.... Though luckily the first one I managed to get the $500 OBC moved along with the booking. That OBC was not Amex related.

I've tended to use the same SS consultant I've had for the past 8 years (used by another CC member too). Unfortunately (for us) he has been promoted and a great helpful contact lost. The replacement is green and it notices. The TA I have used, gives a great discount of 10% which I ignored for a Jan 2024 booking. The TA has proved not to be easily contactable and certainly seems not to have the attention of SS which is not so good as proven with the numerous issues with a current booking for April. It did all get sorted, but I know it would have been done almost instantly with the consultant we had. 

We don’t get the AMEX plat OBC anymore as they don’t give it on Canadian cards….used to until last year 

, though.