Vancouver Port Questions

JeannyJ

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in July. We'll be sailing round trip from Vancouver and I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions. I have back issues and can't stand for long periods of time, or walk great distances, so I was wondering how long the process of checking in/embarkation, and disembarkation, takes and if it's a big walk from where we wait in port authority to where we actually get on the ship (is there a long gangway or lots of ramps?). I know I should be able to get assistance from the cruiseline (HA) like I do in the airport but if it's not too bad, with places to rest, I should be ok with a cane and camping stool. Also do Canadian travellers need to use the ArriveCan  app for when we come back through customs at the end of the trip or will our passports and customs declaration card be enough?

No more ArriveCAN for land or sea; it remains optional for air arrivals to the major airports as it lets you do the predeclaration for customs, but you can't even complete it any more for land or sea ports of entry (we tried to use it the first trip it became optional, and the land & sea options were no longer available! If you can still see them on your app, Update it and they should disappear...)

Since you said that you ask for help at the airport, you will definitely want help at Canada Place - depending how you arrive you may need to schlep your luggage a fair distance, and after that there are levels to move up and down, lines back & forth through check-in, security, and CBP areas, and you only get to sit down in the first of those... once your group is called to start moving you will stop randomly whenever CBP decide their room is full and prevent anyone else entering the prescreening area. Depending which berth, you may have to walk ~500 yards?

There are things you can do to minimise your time - the simplest is to show up late; very, very late! As late as you can possibly tolerate the risk of - you absolutely must be at the pier to check-in 90minutes before the ship is supposed to leave, and the closer you shave that margin the more the queues have dissipated. Since our second Vancouver embarkation we've done the late thing, aiming for 2 hours before departure - and have usually been able to just keep walking, only stopping when actually interacting with Security, CBP, check-in staff etc. Curb to cabin 20 minutes.

The other alternative is to be super early, which guarantees you will be stuck waiting at least an hour or two before you get going (nobody gets onboard until everyone is confirmed off the ship, 'zeroed out' is the terminology you'll hear thrown around) but once the all-clear is given if you are the first people waiting you will then get the same 'just keep walking' quick experience we have being late. Most of that waiting around time will be seated in the convention centre room that check-in happens in.

What you never want to do is arrive when there are lots of other people - same-day flights, buses, and even the Amtrak train mean a glut of people arriving at peak times. Ignore the time on your paperwork - either show up before 10:30am or aim for (departure - 2 hours)pm.

Check the cruise schedule from March onward - right now it still shows last years - on this page, about halfway down, the section with the subheading Schedule always has the most up-to-date link. There's more handy info for passengers there too, but knowing how many other ships are in port with you is the biggest factor in how bad the queues get. If you're the only ship in port, great, you can probably just board whenever with minimal delays except noonish; 3 or 4 ships though and you really want to be right at the extreme ends, either 10am or (departure-2)pm

• Like 1

10 hours ago, martincath said:

No more ArriveCAN for land or sea; it remains optional for air arrivals to the major airports as it lets you do the predeclaration for customs, but you can't even complete it any more for land or sea ports of entry (we tried to use it the first trip it became optional, and the land & sea options were no longer available! If you can still see them on your app, Update it and they should disappear...)

Since you said that you ask for help at the airport, you will definitely want help at Canada Place - depending how you arrive you may need to schlep your luggage a fair distance, and after that there are levels to move up and down, lines back & forth through check-in, security, and CBP areas, and you only get to sit down in the first of those... once your group is called to start moving you will stop randomly whenever CBP decide their room is full and prevent anyone else entering the prescreening area. Depending which berth, you may have to walk ~500 yards?

There are things you can do to minimise your time - the simplest is to show up late; very, very late! As late as you can possibly tolerate the risk of - you absolutely must be at the pier to check-in 90minutes before the ship is supposed to leave, and the closer you shave that margin the more the queues have dissipated. Since our second Vancouver embarkation we've done the late thing, aiming for 2 hours before departure - and have usually been able to just keep walking, only stopping when actually interacting with Security, CBP, check-in staff etc. Curb to cabin 20 minutes.

The other alternative is to be super early, which guarantees you will be stuck waiting at least an hour or two before you get going (nobody gets onboard until everyone is confirmed off the ship, 'zeroed out' is the terminology you'll hear thrown around) but once the all-clear is given if you are the first people waiting you will then get the same 'just keep walking' quick experience we have being late. Most of that waiting around time will be seated in the convention centre room that check-in happens in.

What you never want to do is arrive when there are lots of other people - same-day flights, buses, and even the Amtrak train mean a glut of people arriving at peak times. Ignore the time on your paperwork - either show up before 10:30am or aim for (departure - 2 hours)pm.

Check the cruise schedule from March onward - right now it still shows last years - on this page, about halfway down, the section with the subheading Schedule always has the most up-to-date link. There's more handy info for passengers there too, but knowing how many other ships are in port with you is the biggest factor in how bad the queues get. If you're the only ship in port, great, you can probably just board whenever with minimal delays except noonish; 3 or 4 ships though and you really want to be right at the extreme ends, either 10am or (departure-2)pm

Thanks for the response, there's lots here to keep in mind. The Volendam is scheduled to leave at 4pm and we'll be flying in from Calgary early that morning just in case anything goes wrong at either airport and give time for the cab ride to Canada Place. I'm not sure my anxiety would allow me to try the really late boarding LOL  But if we're in the first wave of people going through maybe I'll be ok without assistance. I saw on another site that shows this year's ports and there are only supposed to be 3 ships moored that morning with only 1 leaving when we do (no really big ships), and someone said on the HAL boards that HAL ships typically dock on the west side of the building. I'll keep an eye on the Port Authority webiste!

Jeanny, while it's been a while since I was last at Canada Place, there was no where to sit at all.  It's a lot of standing around until after the security/immigration/check in process.  I highly recommend flying in the day before, spending the extra money (I consider it insurance!) to stay overnight and check in later as martincath recommended.  Three ships in port is a lot for Vancouver and often that causes mayhem in the terminal.  I would not go early at all, not with three ships in port that day.  

And I would not fly in the day of the cruise, even from Calgary.  You'll probably be fine if you do, but there could be weather or mechanical issues, never mind a last minute cancellation.  Hopefully, the airlines sort themselves out by July but one never knows.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise!  Mine was magical!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I highly recommend flying in the day before, spending the extra money (I consider it insurance!) to stay overnight and check in later as martincath recommended.  Three ships in port is a lot for Vancouver and often that causes mayhem in the terminal.  I would not go early at all, not with three ships in port that day.  

100% agree with this advice!

• Like 1

Thanks Alberta Quilter and cruiseryyc. Unfortunately we don't have the option to fly to Van the night before as we'll be travelling from Sk that day and will be spending that evening getting our kids ready for a trip they're taking with their cousins while we're gone. I'm a little anxious about flying in the same day but we really have no other choice. The first flights out at at 6 and 6:30 am so we should be ok (knock on wood). 

I've only travelled on HAL and only before the pandemic but my experiences at Canada Place on a 3 ship day have been closer to manic/mayhem than, say, boarding in FLL where there is only one ship at a terminal.  The signage at Canada Place is not great so make sure you're following the directions of the staff for your cruise line and get on the correct ship!  Most people, I think, want to get the most out of their cruise and like to be onboard right away; heck, I'm one of those.  But on a 3 ship day, I would arrange for a late checkout or store the bags with the hotel and tour a bit before heading to Canada Place no earlier than 3 hours before sailaway.

When it's a one ship day, then one can go early.

10 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

Thanks Alberta Quilter and cruiseryyc. Unfortunately we don't have the option to fly to Van the night before as we'll be travelling from Sk that day and will be spending that evening getting our kids ready for a trip they're taking with their cousins while we're gone. I'm a little anxious about flying in the same day but we really have no other choice. The first flights out at at 6 and 6:30 am so we should be ok (knock on wood). 

I understand Jeanny.  So, you're actually flying from Saskatoon on embarkation day?  I thought you were flying to Calgary the day before and flying from Calgary to Vancouver on embarkation day.  I think that plan is very iffy.  I know there are many flights from Calgary to Vancouver, and you are starting early.  It could work but it may not.  Too many variables, IMO.  I recognize that I'm anal about these things but I would not take that chance.  Is there anything that can be done to get the kids ready beforehand and leave them with your sibling a day earlier so you can fly out the day before embarkation day?  Or even if you could get to Calgary on the day before and stay the night there, that would reduce the risk somewhat.  There are two hotels right at the airport.  When in July would you be travelling through Calgary?  The Stampede may play a factor, too, if travelling between July 7 - 16/23.

Well this might be an out of the box suggestion, but here goes!

Think about renting a walker with a seat, they get gate checked for the plane and then you'll have a nicer seat to sit on while waiting to board the ship.  Plus the appearance of a walker might get you fast tracked.

Missed a flurry of activity yesterday! I always agree with any advice to fly in the day before, but sometimes it's unavoidable to be a 'same day' arriver. Whether you're in that boat or not though, I still think you should prebook help at the pier - to reiterate, if you need it at an airport you will find the experience at Canada Place to involve a similar amount of walking PLUS the lack of familiarity and the unusual up a level, down a level, repeat between bag drop, check-in, security, CBP screening and boarding.

Whether you manage to have all your flights line up perfectly and head straight to the pier by 10am or or run into issues with flights and end up rushing to the pier late because you have to... having a chair and pusher will expedite you through whatever lines might be there and also ensure that you do not delay other pax by walking slowly/stopping to turn a walker into a seat and back when the queue stops or you need a rest

I get the feeling that this is a classic Canadian 'not wanting to be a bother' situation - but honestly you're better asking for help you MIGHT need than not doing so. What if your flights are delayed, you hit the pier with just barely enough time for an able-bodied person to hustle to check-in, but you can't move fast enough? Finding wheelchairs and pushers at Canada Place is consistently reported as very difficult - especially on 3+ ship days - so please do the sensible thing and ask for the service in advance!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I understand Jeanny.  So, you're actually flying from Saskatoon on embarkation day?  I thought you were flying to Calgary the day before and flying from Calgary to Vancouver on embarkation day.  I think that plan is very iffy.  I know there are many flights from Calgary to Vancouver, and you are starting early.  It could work but it may not.  Too many variables, IMO.  I recognize that I'm anal about these things but I would not take that chance.  Is there anything that can be done to get the kids ready beforehand and leave them with your sibling a day earlier so you can fly out the day before embarkation day?  Or even if you could get to Calgary on the day before and stay the night there, that would reduce the risk somewhat.  There are two hotels right at the airport.  When in July would you be travelling through Calgary?  The Stampede may play a factor, too, if travelling between July 7 - 16/23.

Our cruise is July 12-19 and we're driving from SK on the 11th and will spend the night in AB and flying to Van on the earliest flight out (6:30am) on the 12th. So we'll be getting into Vancouver around 7am local time and we will only have 1 checked bag. We can't afford to fly 4 people from Saskatoon to Calgary (even on the little jumper flight) LOL   IF we did find a way to fly to Van on the 11th it won't be until the last flight out, but I'd much rather take the evening to see my parents and make sure everything is ready for the kids' trip before we head out for our own.  We're not afraid of crowds (thanks to big airports from other trips) but I think we'll probably get there for the first groups through and take our time on the ship.

7 hours ago, martincath said:

Missed a flurry of activity yesterday! I always agree with any advice to fly in the day before, but sometimes it's unavoidable to be a 'same day' arriver. Whether you're in that boat or not though, I still think you should prebook help at the pier - to reiterate, if you need it at an airport you will find the experience at Canada Place to involve a similar amount of walking PLUS the lack of familiarity and the unusual up a level, down a level, repeat between bag drop, check-in, security, CBP screening and boarding.

Whether you manage to have all your flights line up perfectly and head straight to the pier by 10am or or run into issues with flights and end up rushing to the pier late because you have to... having a chair and pusher will expedite you through whatever lines might be there and also ensure that you do not delay other pax by walking slowly/stopping to turn a walker into a seat and back when the queue stops or you need a rest

I get the feeling that this is a classic Canadian 'not wanting to be a bother' situation - but honestly you're better asking for help you MIGHT need than not doing so. What if your flights are delayed, you hit the pier with just barely enough time for an able-bodied person to hustle to check-in, but you can't move fast enough? Finding wheelchairs and pushers at Canada Place is consistently reported as very difficult - especially on 3+ ship days - so please do the sensible thing and ask for the service in advance!

Thanks! I was going to just look for help when we got there but will be emailing our TA and getting her to arrange for it. I tried to use their Special Needs Request form on the website and it would never send. And it's not so much not wanting to bother LOL as not knowing who to bother and what to ask for. I feel awkward at the thought of a walker and am terrified of not fitting a narrow little wheelchair but I'm beginning to understand the need. 

Thanks for the reply.

The ships in port are 2500pax, 3200pax, and 500pax! Watching a video on YouTube gives the impression that each bunch of passengers are pretty well separated into their own 'waiting area', so if that is the case and there is a semblance of organisation it might work well ... maybe, perhaps 😏

55 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

"slowly/stopping to turn a walker into a seat and back"

Most walkers have seats already on them, no need to turn it into something, just sit down.

Even the large frames can have seats that flip up & down, and all require a 180 degree rotation by the person using it - which can take quite a while depending on what the painful area is! And even if it is a matter of seconds to sit and another few to stand when that happens multiple times it adds up... just one person in a crowd sighing loudly, rolling eyes, muttering not-quite-under-their-breath enough about someone not asking for a chair instead of delaying them is very unpleasant, and stick a bunch of people in the same space with no control over their surroundings? Nobody gets nicer in those situations, not even Canadians!

I've experienced precisely this sort of thing, on multiple occasions, both directly at me when I was injured and had to use walking aids for a while and indirectly at folks I was helping - from both Joe Q Public round and about and most memorably from a CBP Agent at the border heading south with my granny. The vast majority of people are of course fine, but all it takes is one a**hole to ruin a day - especially when that a**hole has the authority to not let you across the border, so sucking up a criticism about 'why not use a chair next time' when she's limping along with her sticks into the office for processing is the only realistic option but I'm still bitter about it almost 20 years later... fortunately she hadn't turned her hearing aids on yet!

That sounded to me almost exactly like OPs situation - a marginal case, where the choice made was "I should be OK doing this with (out help/just with my sticks) so I will not (book a chair/wait for grandson to get transport chair out of trunk) and will instead just soldier on."

16 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

Our cruise is July 12-19 and we're driving from SK on the 11th and will spend the night in AB and flying to Van on the earliest flight out (6:30am) on the 12th. So we'll be getting into Vancouver around 7am local time and we will only have 1 checked bag. We can't afford to fly 4 people from Saskatoon to Calgary (even on the little jumper flight) LOL   IF we did find a way to fly to Van on the 11th it won't be until the last flight out, but I'd much rather take the evening to see my parents and make sure everything is ready for the kids' trip before we head out for our own.  We're not afraid of crowds (thanks to big airports from other trips) but I think we'll probably get there for the first groups through and take our time on the ship.

Well, that's good that you only have the one flight on embarkation day.  If you do get in that early to YVR, have breakfast and kill some time at the airport before heading to the port.  Like I said, there is no where to sit and wait at the port, unlike the airport (until you get through the checkin/security process).  Try to get to the port for 10/10:30 to be one of the first to drop off your luggage (unless things have changed since I last cruised from YVR).

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Alberta Quilter
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone!  I filled out the RSI on the HAL site today and requested assistance at Canada Place for both embark and disembark. I was able to let them know I'll have a cane and will need seats without arms in the dining areas. Hopefully this will be honored and I'll be able to start and end the cruise without the back and hip pain. Now to book some shore excursions!

Well Martincath - both my mother's and aunt's walkers had seats that didn't have to be flipped down; most walkers that I have seen the seats are already flipped down. I worked in long term care, so have experienced a huge array of walkers.

Now as far as impatient people behind you, my feeling that's their problem not the person with the walker.

Edited by cruiseryyc
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Well Martincath - both my mother's and aunt's walkers had seats that didn't have to be flipped down; most walkers that I have seen the seats are already flipped down. I worked in long term care, so have experienced a huge array of walkers.

Now as far as impatient people behind you, my feeling that's their problem not the person with the walker.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that most walkers have permanent seats; I made no claim as to proportions with or without such only that some do. When you first suggested renting a walker though, my mind went to the travel versions of such - anything that folds up for storage has a removable or flippable seat so it can be collapsed further, otherwise it would be permanently stuck as a 'wider than the average butt' contraption and be very difficult to travel with efficiently. I was also thinking of more general 'walking aids' like the swanky-looking cane/seat helpfully linked above in the context of a bit of extra help while traveling - I'd wager the folks you worked with in long-term care generally had their own permanent walker, chair etc. which was more substantial than a rented travel version.

But even a walker with a permanently-available seat only removes one part of the process - I'm sure as someone with long-term care work under their belt you must have experienced people struggling with pain, balance issues, muscle weakness etc. for whom an on-the-spot rotation to sit down in their walker is a real chore?

I also agree completely that fault lies 100% with people making hurtful comments, but ignoring such reactions when on the receiving end is a difficult thing to do. In my experience it's a very rare individual who can just let even unwarranted negative feedback slide right off them - the majority of psychotherapists would be unemployed if people were actually good at dealing with that sort of thing;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an option to check luggage at Canada Place?  I tried the website, but couldn't find anything.  We have a late day flight on the day we complete our cruise, and are wondering about the ability to check our luggage for the day and walk around before heading to the airport. 

I did see the HOHO option offered by our cruise line that includes luggage storage for the day, but not sure this is what we want to do.  We are also going to ask at the hotel we stay at the night before the cruise if they would be willing to store luggage for us on the day we return. 

Any ideas/options appreciated. 

5 hours ago, 3CanadianBears said:

Is there an option to check luggage at Canada Place?  I tried the website, but couldn't find anything.  We have a late day flight on the day we complete our cruise, and are wondering about the ability to check our luggage for the day and walk around before heading to the airport. 

I did see the HOHO option offered by our cruise line that includes luggage storage for the day, but not sure this is what we want to do.  We are also going to ask at the hotel we stay at the night before the cruise if they would be willing to store luggage for us on the day we return. 

Any ideas/options appreciated. 

Yes - but it's vastly overpriced at $15 per bag when everywhere else charges $10 or less as well as having very restricted hours (closes 5pm)... The Pan Pacific hotel right upstairs offers shorter queues, cheaper, and for as long as you like without needing to book in advance. I believe WestCoast still discount the price by 50% if you take one of their tours - and they run the HOHO - so if your flight is about 7pm or earlier, the restricted times won't matter and the price can be greatly improved.

But depending how late your flight is, you may be able to stay downtown for dinner and only then head out to YVR - in which case you definitely want a place with longer hours, even if not necessarily 24/7. Many online services like luggage hero, bag store (just google 'baggage storage vancouver BC' and you'll get a page full of hits) offer insured storage at an array of downtown locations; some will show you where they are on a map, others you need to book first like hotel bidding sites.