Passport

Belindaphill

I think you deserve an answer so lets talk about the topic (which is not simple).  It is always wise to check with your specific cruise line for their document requirements because some lines (such as Oceania) require Passports for any cruise and others might require it for certain destinations.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) if the Federal Law/regulations that govern certain "closed loop cruises" that do not necessarily require a Passport.  Honduras currently participates in that program so it is POSSIBLE that you could take a closed loop cruise that stops at Honduras without you needing a Passport.  But, again, we will repeat that it is ultimately up to any cruise line whether they will take advantage of the closed loop exemption (for a Passport).

Finally, I do agree with Cruiseryyc's post that the getting a Passport is the wisest decision.  A Passport is an amazing document that generally gives you the freedom to travel to nearly every part of the globe.  Even on a Closed loop cruise where you do not need a passport, life becomes very complicated if you are forced to leave your cruise, for a medical or other emergency, at any of the foreign ports.  

Passports are expensive, but they are generally valid for 10 years and are an "investment" necessary for most international travel.  Just going to Mexico to vacation at an all-inclusive, requires a Passport.  Want to visit Europe, Bermuda, etc.. you need a valid Passport.

Hank

• Like 5

There are really two questions- do you legally need a passport for the cruise in question, followed by is it prudent for you to travel without a passport. If it is a closed loop cruise, leaving from and returning to the same US port and traveling within the area covered by the WHTI then most US citizens can cruise with a government issued birth certificate and government issued photo ID, unless the cruise line they are sailing with requires more.

Whether it is prudent or not depends on a lot of factors that impact one's risk of needing to return in the middle of the cruise and this includes such things as the traveler's health, whether or not there is something or someone back home that they would need to get to quickly should something go wrong, etc. Also a factor is how often one will be able to travel both by cruise and international air. Sure, it opens up the possibility of traveling by international air, but if one can't do that for whatever reason (lack of money, lack of time, etc.) then it isn't a consideration. For the vast majority of travelers traveling without a passport on a closed loop cruise is a low risk endeavor. The regulations do contain provisions for waiving the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons.

Your cruise line should have a FAQ that describes what documentation is required and Royal Caribbean says this: For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official US state-issued Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present an official US state-issued Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have had passports in past but have expired and will not have enough time to get them back. Honduras is my concern. I don’t want to book until I know for sure. Royal Caribbean website states not needed but travel agent is questioning also. 

1 hour ago, Belindaphill said:

We have had passports in past but have expired and will not have enough time to get them back. Honduras is my concern. I don’t want to book until I know for sure. Royal Caribbean website states not needed but travel agent is questioning also. 

Why is your travel agent questioning this when WHTI regulations permit and Royal Caribbean clearly allows a US citizen to take the cruise using a birth certificate and photo Id such as a driver's license?

@sparks1093has already cited the relevant passage from Royal Caribbean's website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

"For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official US state-issued Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present an official US state-issued Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Why is your travel agent questioning this when WHTI regulations permit and Royal Caribbean clearly allows a US citizen to take the cruise using a birth certificate and photo Id such as a driver's license?

@sparks1093has already cited the relevant passage from Royal Caribbean's website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

"For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official US state-issued Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present an official US state-issued Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government."

It may just be me, but if my TA couldn't answer such a basic question as this I'd be looking for a different TA.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, njhorseman said:

I think that it is foolish to rely on an advice of Royal Caribbean about what documents are needed by foreign governments for entry.

WHTI is a project of DOS and DHS.  If they say that CBP is to accept BC & DL, that's fine.  Neither department speaks on behalf of foreign governments.

Sure, you can cruise without a passport, and just a DL & US BC for the purpose of getting an entry into the US, but there is no guarantee what you need to enter Honduras.  If you show up in Honduras sans a passport, you are simply an undocumented alien.  Although Honduras does not require a visa from a holder of a US passport, it does require it from holders of passports of most countries.  If a cop in Honduras stops you, how would he know that you are there legally or illegally?  

Good luck!

4 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I think that it is foolish to rely on an advice of Royal Caribbean about what documents are needed by foreign governments for entry.

WHTI is a project of DOS and DHS.  If they say that CBP is to accept BC & DL, that's fine.  Neither department speaks on behalf of foreign governments.

Sure, you can cruise without a passport, and just a DL & US BC for the purpose of getting an entry into the US, but there is no guarantee what you need to enter Honduras.  If you show up in Honduras sans a passport, you are simply an undocumented alien.  Although Honduras does not require a visa from a holder of a US passport, it does require it from holders of passports of most countries.  If a cop in Honduras stops you, how would he know that you are there legally or illegally?  

Good luck!

One of the businesses I formerly owned and operated was a travel agency, so I have a great deal of experience in advising cruisers on this issue.

Unfortunately the Department of State's website has been inaccurate from the first day WHTI was implemented , not acknowledging all the countries that permit cruise passengers to arrive with a WHTI-compliant document in lieu of a passport. The country in question, Honduras, is one example. Aruba and Bermuda...two very common cruise destinations, are two more examples. 

I have no idea why the DoS website is so inaccurate in this matter, but it is, and that's why it's necessary to rely on the cruise lines' advice. The cruise lines know what each country requires and do a reasonably good job of keeping their websites up to date with accurate information...a lot better job than DoS does.

Your "what if a  cop stops you" question borders on being silly. If you don't have proper documentation you won't be allowed to board the cruise to begin with, much less be allowed to disembark in the country in question. Upon arrival the ship has to be cleared by local authorities before anyone can disembark, and part of that clearance process is the acknowledgement of local immigration officials that passengers are in compliance with the country's entry requirements as documented on the passenger manifest provided by the ship to local officials.

Even in countries where passports are required for entry there is rarely a requirement for you to carry your passport on your person.  While there are both pro and con arguments on carrying your passport I think you'll  find that most travel professionals advise to leave it in the safe, where it can't be lost, damaged or stolen. Take a photo ID such as a drivers license and your cabin key card ashore. That's all you need almost everywhere you go. 

I've had this exact same question for a cruise because one government website says a passport is required and another indicates maybe.

I have been on cruises with both Royal and with Carnival with stops in Honduras and the answer is NO, you did not need a passport with these 2 cruise lines.

Having said that, I would still highly recommend a passport for any international travel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Your "what if a  cop stops you" question borders on being silly. If you don't have proper documentation you won't be allowed to board the cruise to begin with, much less be allowed to disembark in the country in question. Upon arrival the ship has to be cleared by local authorities before anyone can disembark, and part of that clearance process is the acknowledgement of local immigration officials that passengers are in compliance with the country's entry requirements as documented on the passenger manifest provided by the ship to local officials.

Well, sure, the local authorities can ascertain that everyone on board has the right to come ashore based on the documents provided.

However, how does a cop who stops an obvious foreigner know if the foreigner is in the country legally?  Although a cruise passenger may be in the country legally, he is an undocumented foreigner.  Traveling without a passport is foolish.

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Even in countries where passports are required for entry there is rarely a requirement for you to carry your passport on your person.  While there are both pro and con arguments on carrying your passport I think you'll  find that most travel professionals advise to leave it in the safe, where it can't be lost, damaged or stolen. Take a photo ID such as a drivers license and your cabin key card ashore. That's all you need almost everywhere you go. 

Again, a person with a drivers license and cabin key in a foreign country is an undocumented person.

A driver's license is not considered an identification in most countries; it is merely a document relating to vehicle operations.  The country where I was born and grew up, report cards were considered as an ID, but it would not serve that purpose in the US. 

In any case, if you are going to use a DL in a non-English speaking country, a US license is still not meaningful way to identify you as a vehicle operator; you need an International Driver's License.  I've been stopped in foreign countries by traffic cops several times, and in a few of those they had no idea what my DL was for; it was only after I presented my IDL that it was clear to them that my DL was a DL.

Keeping your passport in a safe is foolish.  What is exactly is the game plan if a cop stops you, and accuses you of being in the country ilegally?  What is the game plan if you miss the ship and try to get on a plane?  Just carry your passport with you like a normal adult traveling in a foreign country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Well, sure, the local authorities can ascertain that everyone on board has the right to come ashore based on the documents provided.

However, how does a cop who stops an obvious foreigner know if the foreigner is in the country legally?  Although a cruise passenger may be in the country legally, he is an undocumented foreigner.  Traveling without a passport is foolish.

You say that you are a passenger on the cruise ship. Most people go ashore without their passport so by your definition they are "undocumented", but that isn't the case. The cruise ship passengers, regardless of what documents they used to board the ship, are indeed documented in accordance with international agreement. The cop who stops you knows that as a passenger on the ship his government has indeed made sure that you are documented. You are way over thinking this. 

And many people choose to travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport for many different reasons. While some of them may indeed be foolish most of them aren't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Again, a person with a drivers license and cabin key in a foreign country is an undocumented person.

A driver's license is not considered an identification in most countries; it is merely a document relating to vehicle operations.  The country where I was born and grew up, report cards were considered as an ID, but it would not serve that purpose in the US. 

In any case, if you are going to use a DL in a non-English speaking country, a US license is still not meaningful way to identify you as a vehicle operator; you need an International Driver's License.  I've been stopped in foreign countries by traffic cops several times, and in a few of those they had no idea what my DL was for; it was only after I presented my IDL that it was clear to them that my DL was a DL.

Keeping your passport in a safe is foolish.  What is exactly is the game plan if a cop stops you, and accuses you of being in the country ilegally?  What is the game plan if you miss the ship and try to get on a plane?  Just carry your passport with you like a normal adult traveling in a foreign country.

You should avoid labeling people who choose to do things differently than you do. It is unnecessary and interferes with open debate. As I just pointed out if a cop stops me I point out that I am a cruise ship passenger and he knows that his government has cleared me to be in his country. If I miss the ship (highly unlikely but still a remote possibility) then I make contact with the port agent and he will give me my passport that the crew has retrieved from my cabin safe. And to answer your next question if for some bizarre reason they didn't do that then the port agent will take care of getting me where I need to go, even if that means flying home and even if that means flying home without my passport. Yes, that is possible since the DHS regulations contain provisions for the waiver of the passport requirement. It would be a hassle, which is why I make all effort to be back onboard well before the boarding time.

Undocumented does NOT mean that you don't have your documents with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

You should avoid labeling people who choose to do things differently than you do. It is unnecessary and interferes with open debate. As I just pointed out if a cop stops me I point out that I am a cruise ship passenger and he knows that his government has cleared me to be in his country. If I miss the ship (highly unlikely but still a remote possibility) then I make contact with the port agent and he will give me my passport that the crew has retrieved from my cabin safe. And to answer your next question if for some bizarre reason they didn't do that then the port agent will take care of getting me where I need to go, even if that means flying home and even if that means flying home without my passport. Yes, that is possible since the DHS regulations contain provisions for the waiver of the passport requirement. It would be a hassle, which is why I make all effort to be back onboard well before the boarding time.

Undocumented does NOT mean that you don't have your documents with you.

If the cop believes you. If the cop lets you go back to the port to prove it. If you are not injured and can physically get back to the port.  If you find the port agent. If the crew has found your passport and left it with the port agent. If you can get a waiver. Too many "ifs." 

When I travel I prefer to reduce the number of "ifs" and limit my dependence on others who have less interest in me getting home than I do. I securely carry my passport on my person while in a foreign country (U.S. excluded.)

What causes this peculiar reticence among Americans to get a passport? The OP is wondering and contending with conflicting information. Getting a passport clears all doubt.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, K32682 said:

If the cop believes you. If the cop lets you go back to the port to prove it. If you are not injured and can physically get back to the port.  If you find the port agent. If the crew has found your passport and left it with the port agent. If you can get a waiver. Too many "ifs." 

When I travel I prefer to reduce the number of "ifs" and limit my dependence on others who have less interest in me getting home than I do. I securely carry my passport on my person while in a foreign country (U.S. excluded.)

What causes this peculiar reticence among Americans to get a passport? The OP is wondering and contending with conflicting information. Getting a passport clears all doubt.  

A simple check will prove your story. I figure I trust the cruise line with my very life while I'm onboard, so trusting them in a smaller matter is easy. Yes, a passport would clear all doubts but it's also helpful to know what alternatives there are. 

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

A simple check will prove your story. I figure I trust the cruise line with my very life while I'm onboard, so trusting them in a smaller matter is easy. Yes, a passport would clear all doubts but it's also helpful to know what alternatives there are. 

The cruise line keeps everyone more or less equally safe. It does not however always accommodate the specific needs of an individual nor should it be expected to or relied upon when the critical situation applies to just you and you have alternatives. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

The cruise line keeps everyone more or less equally safe. It does not however always accommodate the specific needs of an individual nor should it be expected to or relied upon when the critical situation applies to just you and you have alternatives. 

I think they do just fine at the process but we all do what we do.

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

What causes this peculiar reticence among Americans to get a passport?

I don't think it's peculiar. Do you routinely spend money on something you don't need? 

Do you think that the over 400 million residents of the Schengen Area all have passports even if they have no intention of traveling outside the Schengen Area?  Try thinking of the US and the countries to which US citizens can travel without a passport as something similar to the Schengen Area.

Why would citizens of either the US or the Schengen Area get a passport if they don't need one? When it becomes needed then they can get the passport.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

No, the passenger is documented for the stated purpose of their stay in the country,  which is as a cruise line passenger who intends to depart on the cruise ship.

You mistakenly think there's a single criterion for documentation, when in fact what is required varies based on your mode of entering the country and the intent and length of your stay. You may need a passport, or you may not. You may need a visa or not. If you need a visa the type of visa required can vary based on the nature of your stay. 

8 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Just carry your passport with you like a normal adult traveling in a foreign country.

What gives you the right to declare what a "normal adult" does?

For many, many years the US Department of State specifically recommended in writing on its website that you not carry your passport on your person unless it was required . I guess you think those who followed the DoS advice were not normal.

Carrying your drivers license or non-driver ID and a photocopy of your main passport pages has been and continues to be a recommendation of many travel professionals and experienced international travelers....none of whom are "normal" per your thoughtful declaration of normalcy.

24 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't think it's peculiar. Do you routinely spend money on something you don't need? 

Do you think that the over 400 million residents of the Schengen Area all have passports even if they have no intention of traveling outside the Schengen Area?  Try thinking of the US and the countries to which US citizens can travel without a passport as something similar to the Schengen Area.

Why would citizens of either the US or the Schengen Area get a passport if they don't need one? When it becomes needed then they can get the passport.

Except in this thread the OP is leaving the United States and is wondering whether to get a passport when the answer is obvious. 

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What gives you the right to declare what a "normal adult" does?

For many, many years the US Department of State specifically recommended in writing on its website that you not carry your passport on your person unless it was required . I guess you think those who followed the DoS advice were not normal.

Carrying your drivers license or non-driver ID and a photocopy of your main passport pages has been and continues to be a recommendation of many travel professionals and experienced international travelers....none of whom are "normal" per your thoughtful declaration of normalcy.

I'm less concerned about what my own government says about my passport and more concerned about the reality of the country in which I am travelling.  A crumpled photocopy of my passport might satisfy a local official but having the real item with you should you need it is a better option.  The photocopy goes into the safe. The passport stays with me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Except in this thread the OP is leaving the United States and is wondering whether to get a passport when the answer is obvious. 

You are right, for the type of travel the OP is doing they don't need one. Now whether or not they should have one, as I said in my original response, is based on a lot of different factors. Passport is certainly the king of travel documents but some people only need a queen or a jack.