New to Saga

Ladycommonsense

Service, Food Quality & reduced Menu choice are the main bugbears but wine has increased by 70% since 2019 & Wifi price has doubled in 12 months!. The P&O policy seems to get you onboard for a reasonable price then make you pay high prices for anything.

• Like 8

I am onboard at the moment.  Very British - if you’ve liked P& O or Cunard in the past, you’ll like Saga.  Average age on the cruise I would guess mid 80s.  We’re in our mid 70s and feel incredibly young.  At this point in our lives it’s not for us.
This was an expensive experiment… Back to Viking in the summer, for a less old fashioned holiday.  May try Saga again when we’re older, infirm, or when one of us is widowed 😳

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

I am onboard at the moment.  Very British - if you’ve liked P& O or Cunard in the past, you’ll like Saga.  Average age on the cruise I would guess mid 80s.  We’re in our mid 70s and feel incredibly young.  At this point in our lives it’s not for us.
This was an expensive experiment… Back to Viking in the summer, for a less old fashioned holiday.  May try Saga again when we’re older, infirm, or when one of us is widowed 😳

Older,infirm,widowed. Well I've seen 50's 60's year olds having fun with the ones in their 70's ,+ outshining with more energy. Rather unfair but if you take an ageist view 🤷I'm in my 70's and been cruising with Saga 9 years and young at heart . Always a fab time. But if you're miserable on Saga  oh well each to their own but people thinking of sailing with Saga this post is their opinion and not the majority. I took my daughter on board for the first time aged 42 and again 46 and she loved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Just out of interest, which ship are you on?  I am in my mid-sixties and unfortunately and unexpectedly recently widowed.  I'm neither old fashioned nor infirm and wish I was lucky enough to still have my husband to travel with.  However, I am hoping I will enjoy the experience on Spirit of Adventure in Norway. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

Service, Food Quality & reduced Menu choice are the main bugbears but wine has increased by 70% since 2019 & Wifi price has doubled in 12 months!. The P&O policy seems to get you onboard for a reasonable price then make you pay high prices for anything.

Apparently, one of the reasons behind this is that with P&O the Captain's bonus is dependent on how much money is spent in the bars, the shops, the restaurants etc. The more money taken, the bigger the bonus. This was discussed in a thread on the P&O cruisecritic forum back in June 2021. see: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2783948-october-onwards-cruisers…/page/4/#comment-61271413 and search for post #98

Edited by LondonLad60

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Like you we've sailed many times with P&O over the past 15 years but have become progressively irked by the drop in standards associated with a culture of "nickel and diming" on every small thing. We've sailed 3 times with Viking and have another cruise booked later this year (a carry over from the Covid cancellation phase). We'd love to continue into the future but the prospect of having to fly to join almost all their current itineraries means that we'll be skipping Viking after this next cruise. If they ever decide to introduce round trip sailing from the UK then we will be back in a heart beat but until then it will be Saga for our future needs.

Did our first cruise on Discovery last year and were impressed. Unlike you we did not get the impression that we were crossing the River Styx and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the experience. The main attraction is that once you have paid for your cruise then you can forget having to open your wallet again unless you decide to book a paid excursion. The included benefits are things that some other cruise lines use as revenue generators and for that we applaud Saga. I'm sure they're not perfect by any means but they'll do for us into the future.

Edited by arlowood
  • Like 6

Re the age of Saga passengers, on board in a Q&A with the senior Saga management in January, we were told that the average age of Saga passengers has increased by 10 years in the last 10 years. On that cruise the average age was 78.

I must say that we randomly shared tables at mealtimes with people of all ages, from someone celebrating her 50th birthday onboard to a remarkable 90 year old. On every occasion we had interesting conversations. Yes there were some sedentary people with walkers and sticks who stationed themselves in the Living Room for the day, but isn’t it great that they can still enjoy a holiday watching the world go by?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

2 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

Older,infirm,widowed. Well I've seen 50's 60's year olds having fun with the ones in their 70's ,+ outshining with more energy. Rather unfair but if you take an ageist view 🤷I'm in my 70's and been cruising with Saga 9 years and young at heart . Always a fab time. But if you're miserable on Saga  oh well each to their own but people thinking of sailing with Saga this post is their opinion and not the majority. I took my daughter on board for the first time aged 42 and again 46 and she loved it.

Bearing in mind that much of the ambience and activities depend on who is on board, especially the Cruise Director, it is perfectly possible for one cruise to be a lively and entertaining one and the next cruise to be a sedate and - yes- boring one.

I have experienced both during my many cruises with Saga.

Somebody simply saying that they did not particularly enjoy Saga does not warrant being called ageist or miserable and says more about the respondent that it does about the poster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Bearing in mind that much of the ambience and activities depend on who is on board, especially the Cruise Director, it is perfectly possible for one cruise to be a lively and entertaining one and the next cruise to be a sedate and - yes- boring one.

I have experienced both during my many cruises with Saga.

Somebody simply saying that they did not particularly enjoy Saga does not warrant being called ageist or miserable and says more about the respondent that it does about the poster.

😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, heathermk57 said:

Just out of interest, which ship are you on?  I am in my mid-sixties and unfortunately and unexpectedly recently widowed.  I'm neither old fashioned nor infirm and wish I was lucky enough to still have my husband to travel with.  However, I am hoping I will enjoy the experience on Spirit of Adventure in Norway. 

Unfortunate words used by Jammy Bun. We've sailed on both Saga ships and although mid 70's young at heart and have enjoyed every cruise. Adventure is lovely,the staff and crew are lovely,friendly and helpful. Norway is a good choice. Enjoy it when it comes round.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

From your previous posts, it seems that you are currently on a Canaries cruise onboard SofA. While on a Saga cruise some years ago I was told that their Canaries cruises attracted the more elderly guests, as did some round-Britain cruises, but since I haven't been on any of these myself I can't confirm that. Perhaps on a different Saga cruise you might not feel quite so young!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vivaldi said:

From your previous posts, it seems that you are currently on a Canaries cruise onboard SofA. While on a Saga cruise some years ago I was told that their Canaries cruises attracted the more elderly guests, as did some round-Britain cruises, but since I haven't been on any of these myself I can't confirm that. Perhaps on a different Saga cruise you might not feel quite so young!  

I can confirm the above, from personal experience.

I sailed with Saga twice last year, my first cruises with the company. To the Canaries in March, and to the Baltic in August.

The passengers on the Canaries cruise were mainly past retirement age. They were there (like I was) for some Winter sunshine. At 74 I felt that there were probably more passengers older than me than there were younger. They were however, extremely good company, well read and well travelled, and I had a very enjoyable cruise. The average age of the passengers on the Baltic cruise was noticably younger. Many were still working, and were taking their Summer holidays. They were there for the ports not the sunshine. But they shared the general characteristics of their older bretheren and their company was just as enjoyable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

They were however, extremely good company, well read and well travelled, and I had a very enjoyable cruise.

That's very much how we find SAGA. The idea that age is only a number is probably an over used cliche but we have generally found SAGA passengers to be far better company and far more sociable that those we've met on some other lines. We really don't like generalisations and there are always exceptions... but on the Discovery, the Sapphire and the Pearl we've often found that those "golden oldies" have not only entered in the spirit and joy of any occasion ... they've often been at the forefront and their enthusiasm and zest for life has been wonderfully infectious... and has really lifted the atmosphere.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, heathermk57 said:

Hi we went on our first Saga cruise (Canaries) last year. We are early 70s. There were a lot of people older than us but many more were younger. We met a lot of solo travellers onboard who, without exception, said they were having a great time. There was a solo gathering early every evening which was well attended.

By the end of the cruise I had decided that I would definitely cruise as a solo with Saga if I found myself in that situation as I know I would meet nice people of all ages, be well looked after by the staff, and, importantly, I would feel safe.

i’m sure you’ll have a great time in Norway. Please report back after your cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, heathermk57 said:

So sorry to hear of your recent loss.

Saga cater brilliantly for solo passengers (which is probably why the single cabins are in the best positions on the ship) - and they also pull off the remarkably difficult task of catering for both the very energetic and the less mobile equally well (some of the excursions they offer would astound people who assume that everybody with Saga must be on the doddery spectrum).

The majority opinion is good food, good service, comfortable cabins, and a lot of extras included in the fare.

As far as ambience and entertainment goes - that can be very subjective; one person's "dull" is another person's "relaxing", one person's "lively" is another person's "noisy".

Most of the time Saga strike the right balance between the two.

Certainly the number of good reviews (especially from people trying Saga for the first time) far outweigh the number of less positive reviews - which does suggest they get more things right than they get wrong.

• Like 5

There's a wide range on Saga.  On our Eastern Mediterranean which was the cancelled black sea cruise replacement . Only 500 passengers,  still had 25 entrants into charity 10k run for Ukraine. Didn't feel anything like OAP home. Everybody talked to one another. 

Food,  service, top quality. 

• Like 2

We have one booked with P&O as experiment, suite on big ship , huge balcony so no sunbed wars, plus speciality dining every night, for less than Saga standard room. My one worry is ambience on P&O ship.

Saga is our go to line now, the ambience is just more relaxed , friendly yet up market quality feel. Plus great food.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 10:25 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks. I was wondering about that. We always had an aft suite with P&O, mainly for the extra space and breakfasts in the Epicurean, but suites with Saga look extraordinarily expensive, presumably because there are fewer of them.

I’m not at all sure we’d be prepared to spend that much, but a regular balcony might well do with Saga. Included dining options look rather better, and the other included extras would be good, but the overall ambience, I’m advised by friends, is much better. 

A  good compromise would be a deluxe cabin. Slightly larger cabin, bigger balcony and walk-in wardrobe. Probably equal to a P&O mini-suite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, Windsurfboy said:

There's a wide range on Saga.  On our Eastern Mediterranean which was the cancelled black sea cruise replacement . Only 500 passengers,  still had 25 entrants into charity 10k run for Ukraine. Didn't feel anything like OAP home. Everybody talked to one another. 

Food,  service, top quality. 

I was on same cruise. If people are worried about everyone being aged and immobile, Saga will soon carry a fleet of electric bicycles for you to borrow.

2 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

A  good compromise would be a deluxe cabin. Slightly larger cabin, bigger balcony and walk-in wardrobe. Probably equal to a P&O mini-suite.

We had exactly the same though for our next cruise, but it was a last minute decision not at launch,  when we came to book the price difference between deluxe and suite was relatively small. I think deluxe  must sell out quicker so discounts shrink.  So in the we end booked suite with a30% discount rather than deluxe with 10% discount

We have registered for 2025, so will consider deluxe, if others haven't beaten us to it and pushed up price.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, Kohima said:

Re the age of Saga passengers, on board in a Q&A with the senior Saga management in January, we were told that the average age of Saga passengers has increased by 10 years in the last 10 years. On that cruise the average age was 78.

Was any reason given for the increase in average age ? I was vaguely thinking that the new boutique style shops may have attracted some slightly younger people.

I’ve got my first Saga cruise round Britain in August. I’m 63 in a couple of weeks so I’ll likely be one of the younger passengers onboard. My husband is 71, so he might be one of the younger ones too!

I’m not bothered by this, as I’ve often been one of the younger passengers. I started cruising when I was in my early 40’s, when the vast majority of passengers were older. Likewise, I retired from work when I was 55, so did some longer cruises when most people my age were still working.

My only slight reservation with being younger than the majority is that the entertainment is aimed at the older set, but it’s not a big issue for me 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Was any reason given for the increase in average age ? I was vaguely thinking that the new boutique style shops may have attracted some slightly younger people.

I’ve got my first Saga cruise round Britain in August. I’m 63 in a couple of weeks so I’ll likely be one of the younger passengers onboard. My husband is 71, so he might be one of the younger ones too!

I’m not bothered by this, as I’ve often been one of the younger passengers. I started cruising when I was in my early 40’s, when the vast majority of passengers were older. Likewise, I retired from work when I was 55, so did some longer cruises when most people my age were still working.

My only slight reservation with being younger than the majority is that the entertainment is aimed at the older set, but it’s not a big issue for me 

I found it most curious given that elsewhere I have read it suggested that the new ships were taking custom from P&O and Cunard. Only thing I can think of is that people who started cruising with Saga when they bought their first ships have continued sailing with them into older age and in doing so have pushed up the average. It is I think also true that Winter cruises tend to attract an older age group than Summer ones; see my earlier post. The average age on my Baltic cruise in August was probably 10 years younger than on my Canary Islands one in March.

As regards entertainment, my experience so far has not been a surfeit of music from the 50s and 60s but a preponderence of show tunes and classical music to the detriment of pop and rock of all eras. But maybe that is what middle England likes and I am in a minority in preferring more of the latter.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am in my 50’s and love sailing on Saga. You meet a great range of people with different life experiences and fascinating lives. 

Yes it’s more expensive to book but you don’t need to spend any money onboard. (Unless you forget to pack batteries 😂)

I have a pre pandemic deposit cruise to take on P&O’s Aurora in May. It will be interesting to see how things have changed. 

37 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I found it most curious given that elsewhere I have read it suggested that the new ships were taking custom from P&O and Cunard. Only thing I can think of is that people who started cruising with Saga when they bought their first ships have continued sailing with them into older age and in doing so have pushed up the average. It is I think also true that Winter cruises tend to attract an older age group than Summer ones; see my earlier post. The average age on my Baltic cruise in August was probably 10 years younger than on my Canary Islands one in March.

As regards entertainment, my experience so far has not been a surfeit of music from the 50s and 60s but a preponderence of show tunes and classical music to the detriment of pop and rock of all eras. But maybe that is what middle England likes and I am in a minority in preferring more of the latter.

I'm not sure that is true about those who cruised on the old Saga ships pushing up the average age. The one moan I continually hear from that cohort on forums etc is that the new ships are too big and too expensive now all cabins are balcony ones.