Boarding Questions

meanmom08

I will be taking a cruise on the Sunshine in a couple of weeks. I noticed on the Carnival website that you choose your time for embarkation.  What are the options - what time does it start and what is the latest you can embark?  We are driving to Charleston the night before, so we can probably get to the port whenever we want.  What time should we choose if we want to avoid the worst of the crowds, or is it pretty much the same since everyone has an appointment?

Also, before I booked the cruise, I checked to make sure no one in our family had an expired passport and no one did.  However, I just read somewhere that passports should not expire within 6 months of the cruise.  My daughter’s expires a month after.  We are only going to Nassau.  Will this be a problem?  She may not even want to leave the ship in Nassau.  

2 minutes ago, meanmom08 said:

I will be taking a cruise on the Sunshine in a couple of weeks. I noticed on the Carnival website that you choose your time for embarkation.  What are the options - what time does it start and what is the latest you can embark?  We are driving to Charleston the night before, so we can probably get to the port whenever we want.  What time should we choose if we want to avoid the worst of the crowds, or is it pretty much the same since everyone has an appointment?

Also, before I booked the cruise, I checked to make sure no one in our family had an expired passport and no one did.  However, I just read somewhere that passports should not expire within 6 months of the cruise.  My daughter’s expires a month after.  We are only going to Nassau.  Will this be a problem?  She may not even want to leave the ship in Nassau.  

You will have no problems with her passport. Relax and enjoy your cruise!😊

• Like 1

You do not choose your embarkation time, you choose the time you arrive at the pier. Pick the time that you wish to arrive.

In theory, if everybody picks their time and sticks to it then there should be no better or worse time to pick, because the crowds will be spread throughout the day.

Generally speaking the time with the most crowds is early, 10AM-11AM or so. After that the crowds peter out and by 1:30 you typically breeze right through the process.

• Like 2

The appointment time you chose isn't for when you get on the ship but rather for your arrival time at the port to begin the check-in process.  People with the earliest check-in times generally have to wait an hour or so before boarding the ship (typically boarding begins around 11 AM but that varies). 

Also, you won't be able to get into your cabin until 1:30.  Folks that arrive at the port around 1:30 or so can generally breeze right through the check-in process and head to their cabins.  

• Like 2

@meanmom08 You can choose one of the later times to avoid most of the crush. You will need to be aboard at least an hour before sail away. 11:00-1:00 is probably the busiest arrival/boarding time. I like to show up around 1:00 and cabin is ready (1:30) by the time you board. Lunch is still being served until 2:30/3:00 with some venues open later.

• Like 1

The first to board are suites, wedding parties, diamond, and then platinum followed by everyone else. When you select your time 10:30ami if you're lucky, then the mob is checked in, it's a zoo until about 1:00pm. The latest you can arrive depends what time you sail.If sail away is 5pm, final boarding is usually 3:30pm, I would not cut it that close. We are platinum and one time we came down on the train from Port St. Lucie. Had a rental   car delay in West Palm Beach an hour train ride, arrived at the Port of Miami around 2pm, walked right on the ship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

You do not choose your embarkation time, you choose the time you arrive at the pier. Pick the time that you wish to arrive.

In theory, if everybody picks their time and sticks to it then there should be no better or worse time to pick, because the crowds will be spread throughout the day.

Generally speaking the time with the most crowds is early, 10AM-11AM or so. After that the crowds peter out and by 1:30 you typically breeze right through the process.

We have a 12:30 check-in time for which I am very pleased. In reading these boards, that is an excellent time. No crowds. Our rooms should be ready by 1:30. Easy peezy. 🤗

• Like 1

We typically cruise on Royal or Celebrity, but like Carnival, they also have arrival times for all their ports.  Because we travel with a child (my 10 year old niece), we tend to pick a time between 10 and 11 so that we're not rushed in the morning getting out.  We have breakfast at the hotel and lunch as soon as we board before exploring the ship.  We do the e-Muster while we wait at the terminal.  Rooms are usually ready around 1PM, so we normally head back to the room to explore that around 2PM and drop off our carry-ons before heading back up to deck for the sail away.

The only time we've had to deal with crowds so far was during our last embarkation time on Anthem, and it was beyond Royal's control.  Some personnel at the terminal had called out sick, causing us to wait outside IN THE COLD for 2 hours.  When we cruised on Oasis last October with the same check-in time at the same terminal, we pretty much waltzed on the ship.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, meanmom08 said:

What are the options - what time does it start and what is the latest you can embark? Earliest check in time I have seen is 10am. I arrived in Tampa last month at 9:35 and they let me check in, I had a 10am check in time. I was seated at 9:50 and boarding started at 10:33. The latest one can usually board is 3pm. 

For the passport issue, have her take a birth certificate and drivers license just in case, but she should be ok. If this cruise did something like a panama canal entry, she would be denied boarding.  

"Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel. This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the United States to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the United States without significant delays and complications."

"To enter the Bahamas, you must have a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure. British and American passport holders can enter with less than six months remaining on their passports if visiting for up to 21 days. All visitors require a return or onward ticket, confirmed hotel booking (or letter of invitation if staying at a private address) and proof of funds to sustain their trip."

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 1

Thanks so much.  I had seen the paragraph “Carnival recommends…”, but not “To enter the Bahamas…”.   Your suggestion to bring her birth certificate and drivers license sounds like a good one.  It certainly won’t hurt!  

6 hours ago, asalligo said:

What are the options - what time does it start and what is the latest you can embark? Earliest check in time I have seen is 10am. I arrived in Tampa last month at 9:35 and they let me check in, I had a 10am check in time. I was seated at 9:50 and boarding started at 10:33. The latest one can usually board is 3pm. 

For the passport issue, have her take a birth certificate and drivers license just in case, but she should be ok. If this cruise did something like a panama canal entry, she would be denied boarding.  

"Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel. This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the United States to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the United States without significant delays and complications."

"To enter the Bahamas, you must have a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure. British and American passport holders can enter with less than six months remaining on their passports if visiting for up to 21 days. All visitors require a return or onward ticket, confirmed hotel booking (or letter of invitation if staying at a private address) and proof of funds to sustain their trip."

That's if you are flying into the Bahamas for a vacation. Pax visiting on a cruise are considered "in transit" and the 6 month rule does not apply.

• Like 1