Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

5 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Maybe you can name another mass market line that you have recently sailed on that provides what OP is looking for.

I sail for the itineraries. Food is least important to me, but that’s just me. 

I just saw a 5 night 4 guests in 1 balcony on Adventure for $13,000

i can get retreat on Celebrity for 11 nights with drinks, wifi, grays included for less than that.

• Like 1

To add to my post yesterday, when I priced cruises and itineraries last month for the northeast coast departures, RCCL was on point to its competitors' prices.  Carnival (which is my other cruise line - I have about equal loyalty on both - aka, nothing that gives me any real perks) had similar prices for similar itineraries and times, but lousier ships (that said, I have liked the Carnival Pride, but I have cruised the Pride - a lot - and newness of the ship was a big sell for my spouse)...

So, to the poster who said all the prices are going up, I agree.  Heck, my Royal cruise is already up $200 in one month ($100 per cabin when I try to rebook the same thing).

Now, this may be different if you depart Florida.  But, 6 airplane tickets to get to a cruise is not usually how I like to cruise.  I like a drive (saves a ton of money to use for the cruise when you have 6)...

I’m booking more.

Higher prices mean less of the Carnival boombox and stabbing crowd.  Hope the other lines drop prices to bring them over.

I did the MDR for the first time in 5 years on Freedom last week and the changes were awesome.  I usually do Unlimited Dining Package on the 10-12 cruises a year I do, but the MDR menu was just great!

• Like 1

I can cruise on any date, so there are more options for me to get better pricing. However, I am always price comparing between any cruise line.  We have two NCL booked in 2024 and 2025 that are for the itinerary (repo cruises) and the Wonder of the Seas this May, because of the ship and bringing the grandkids.  We choose the Wonder, despite the price for the ship (about 10k for the 6 of us, not counting my airfare).  So there are folks like me who are willing to pay the higher prices still.  

Husband I and I just did a land vacay and it was quite more expensive than cruising so that figures into our choices as well.  

Not loyal to only Royal, but I can't complain about their product yet.

16 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Hubby and I have always loved Royal.  It was perfect for us.  Just like other cruise lines, they seem to be cutting corners all over and lowering the quality of food.  It has hubby and I considering changing to another more expensive (or less expensive) line to get more value and a better experience?

The MDR menu changes really have me concerned.  

Anyone else?

Don't think changing lines will solve anything at this point. All lines face some similar problems financial, staffing, supply! These issues are impacting all the lines to varying degrees. We stopped sailing NCL even before pandemic because they were seeking the records for new ways to nickel and dime passengers. From what I have read they haven't changed post pandemic. We stopped sailing Carnival after pandemic as they seem to have decided to be the cruise line of the crown that find partying and group conflicts synonymous. No idea how Princess has been since we have choose not to fly post pandemic so no Princess available sailing from out area. Celebrity once our favorite line for decades seems just a bit too pricey while also deteriorating to some degree. We would sail them for the right deal.

No in out case we will stay with RCL probably exclusively for now but instead of sailing 4 or more times a year we are sailing once for now, maybe twice depending on how our 9 night Liberty of The Seas cruise in June goes. We only sailed twice in 2021, RCL Oasis and Carnival Legend. Last year only once RCL Oasis. The Liberty only one we booked for 2023.

George in NY

• Like 1

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Have you had the new  menus or just posting? I just read someone saying dont pre judge, they loved the new menus.

I've booked thru 2024 and will wait to book more. Lots of life changes more so than the prices. I might even neve to Florida sooner rather than later. 

I'm supposed to be cruising now but broke my wrist and other big issues. 

OnAnthem presently and seated in Silk with 5 other passengers.  Not a problem with menu items, but service slow in getting entrees serviced. 

The first night we thought it was one off, but it happened again last night. Some complained that if serviced did not improve they would dine in the WJ   

He told us to give it another chance. Also the discussion, covered the new menu and the loss of flexibility in the # of entrees.  We mentioned that it was changed to speed the dining process, but the opposite in our case.

He volunteered that the menu will be visited again in June. Don’t know if there’s been any pushback from passengers. 

Anyone heard anything on past or recent sails and experiences. 

By the way on 1st night had crab cakes and shrimp cocktail, whitefish as an an entree which tasted like flounder and ice cream for dessert.  Had an issue getting coffe and went to the D lounge for a nice cappuccino. 

Last night had onion soup, calamari and linguini seafood. Asked for marinara rather than the cream sauce and was accommodated.  Dessert was apple blossom and ice cream. 

Coffee was served with dessert withou me asking. 

So far no problem with the food quality. 

What a tremendous difference between the WJ experience between my recent Oasis sails and on Anthem.  It’s like almost 2 different companies. 

Love the Anthem selection and and layout. 

• Like 3

We are OK for now.  Especially when we can do the Unlimited Speciality Dining Package.  However, I will not be such an advocate for cruising when talking to newbies.  I used to say don't worry about the food, they will find a way to make you happy short of a wood grilled steak in the dining room - not with the new RCCL model.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Personally I have never been loyal to any one cruise line so it’s not abnormal for me to switch.

I am leaving Royal for a little while but for several reasons. The number one reason for me is that I don’t want to deal with airlines right now so I will be leaving from one of my closest cruise ports and that limits my options. While I love the ships we currently have in NJ, I’m not a fan of repeating the same class of ship doing the exact same itinerary. 

My need for something different AND the increase in price have led me to book different itineraries on other cruise lines. 

If the rumor  that Odyssey is doing a season in NJ in 2025 turns out to be true I hope to be on that.

I will reserve my opinions on the new menus until I try them myself.

Also, Symphony is replacing Oasis in ‘24. 

I agree with the airline pricing.  Booked Harmony out of Galveston for early December. Got a solo Cp balcony for around 1k, but United prices for economy is close to $600. 

Comparable cruise prices out of Florida is close to &2k if I want to change. 

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

We are OK for now.  Especially when we can do the Unlimited Speciality Dining Package.  However, I will not be such an advocate for cruising when talking to newbies.  I used to say don't worry about the food, they will find a way to make you happy short of a wood grilled steak in the dining room - not with the new RCCL model.

Just to add to this.  Just looked at the description for the MDR on Harmony.  It shows a sample menu old style with always available items and pictures of food that is  not offered on the new menus.  So yep unless you are looking a reviews and comments on social media or recent cruisers, you might be surprised at what you get on the ship.

10 hours ago, baelor said:

Do you live in a port of departure?  If those prices don’t include airfare, you could take a European vacation for cheaper than $2,200 with 6 total people. 

Europe is kind of far, and I doubt that I can fly to Europe for $300 RT.

But a RT from ATL to FLL or MIA is quite doable for $300-400 RT or even drivable.  Plus, we are originally from Europe and don't have any desire at the moment to vacation there.

9 hours ago, baelor said:

My friend and I went to Portugal for 10 days and without airfare spent around $2k total,

wait, how is it comparable to a 10 day Princess Caribbean cruise for $2K total for the 3 of us without airfare? Or a $2,200 7 day cruise on Seascape with all the drinks and wifi included? You said "a European vacation for cheaper than $2,200 with 6 total people" and then you said "My friend and I went to Portugal for 10 days and without airfare spent around $2k total." So, which one is it - 6 people for less than $2.2K or 2 people for $2K? Because I got a latter right here.... And remember, I cannot stuff all 6 of us into the same room, because it's not 2 adults and 4 kids, it's 5 adults and 1 kid.

Oh, and we have to work, so we can't take off for 2 weeks straight.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

OnAnthem presently and seated in Silk with 5 other passengers.  Not a problem with menu items, but service slow in getting entrees serviced. 

The first night we thought it was one off, but it happened again last night. Some complained that if serviced did not improve they would dine in the WJ   

He told us to give it another chance. Also the discussion, covered the new menu and the loss of flexibility in the # of entrees.  We mentioned that it was changed to speed the dining process, but the opposite in our case.

He volunteered that the menu will be visited again in June. Don’t know if there’s been any pushback from passengers. 

Anyone heard anything on past or recent sails and experiences. 

By the way on 1st night had crab cakes and shrimp cocktail, whitefish as an an entree which tasted like flounder and ice cream for dessert.  Had an issue getting coffe and went to the D lounge for a nice cappuccino. 

Last night had onion soup, calamari and linguini seafood. Asked for marinara rather than the cream sauce and was accommodated.  Dessert was apple blossom and ice cream. 

Coffee was served with dessert withou me asking. 

So far no problem with the food quality. 

What a tremendous difference between the WJ experience between my recent Oasis sails and on Anthem.  It’s like almost 2 different companies. 

I hope they keep the WJ the same. I like the WJ. I read celebrity cut their buffet, carnival certainly has. It's my go to dinner when I dont like the menu. I'm picky and didnt like the old menu overly much.

I've heard HAL food is good though I haven't tried HAL.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I hope they keep the WJ the same. I like the WJ. I read celebrity cut their buffet, carnival certainly has. It's my go to dinner when I dont like the menu. I'm picky and didnt like the old menu overly much.

Celebrity severely cut their dinner buffet.  Lunch and Breakfast seem mostly unchanged.

Doesn't impact us because we "always" eat dinner in the MDR.  I can see it being a big deal to those that like to eat dinner at the buffet though.  It's drastically cut.

• Like 1

I am not loyal to any one cruiseline but food isn't a huge factor for me. I am fairly easy to please, I am a terrible cook at home and I do not eat out a lot, so cruise food is normally pretty gourmet to me haha! If the food really takes a huge nosedive (enough for me to be unsatisfied) I'll just pay the cost and get the specialty dining package. 

I'd do the same in regards to other low end/mid range cruiselines (Carnival, NCL, MSC, etc) A dining package usually costs less than 300.00 for two people, vs changing to a luxury cruiseline that costs thousands more and might not be the vibe I want.  But everyone is different, this is just my opinion. 

And honestly, sometimes if the food isn't good, I eat less and gain less weight while on the cruise...I am a glass half full sort of person 😄 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Folks rave about MSC  as cost conscious.- but they have terrible reviews.

That kind of absolutism applied uniquely to MSC 'reviews' is certainly not aligned with what's raging on RCCL, NCL and CCL reviews.  But, yes, folks do 'rave' about MSC.  😉

MSC has never indicated it has become cost conscious.  They are privately owned by the largest commercial shipping company and family and are determined to become dominant in the US and Caribbean ports.  

They have already become the single largest brand in Europe in 2019 pre-pandemic, and are adding some of the most inspiring new ships since and have added an entire new luxury cruise line.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2019/08/three-companies-and-eight-brands-dominate-european-cruise-markets/

"MSC Cruises is the single largest brand in Europe, however, with an estimated passenger capacity of 2.2 million."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If it’s sold out, you get unusual and crazy prices. 

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

My April 2022 cruise on the Anthem and September 2022 cruise on the Oasis, reflect your experiences.

The Anthem was an 8.5 and the Oasis was a 5.0 on a one to ten scale.

This was before any menu changes🤔

• Like 1

Just off 11 night Anthem.  Ate in MDR every evening.  New menus, and they were exactly as posted previously.  The menus listed as "at least once" were repeated, so three nights saw a previously presented menu.  Giving it a fair evaluation comparing to the 3 previous cruises on this ship, with same itinerary.  The food variety, and quality as prepared is comparable to previous years.  What has changed is the plates are apparently taking longer to get from the chef to the table.  Steaks, chicken, fish, even lobster were not piping hot.  Instead they arrived at the table at about 125 degrees, and with a dried out surface texture.  Grilled asparagus was particularly disappointing;  it definitely showed that it had been expertly seared on a grill, but it had significantly deteriorated by being held at steam table temperature for far too long.  It was wilted, and had a mushy texture at the table.  Creme Brule is supposed to have a crisp sugar crust when freshly flamed prior to presentation, instead it had a taffy like layer over the custard.  

The presentation is likely attributable to staffing, as there didn't seem to be as much waiter attentiveness, and the waiters seemed to be very rushed.  There did seem to be more supervisory staff in the dining room, but my impression was they were evaluating staff, and troubleshooting, and as a result, not focusing on the customer experience.  

I'm certain that once post-pandemic staffing issues are resolved service will once again return to it's accustomed levels. 

I will give the benefit of doubt to the MDR, and I have booked the same cruise for next year, although the deciding factor was that Next Cruise booking only required a $100 deposit instead of $450.  I am also going to wait for a price drop on the fare, as the current rate is over 2.5 times what I paid for my latest.  

• Like 3

MDR Menu bonus:  They now list the days curry entree.  I had curry several times - always good flavor.  And because the curries benefit from time spent in the kettle, were of consistently good texture.  I do wish they had been delivered to the table while still piping hot.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Not considering changing lines but just considering a hiatus altogether for a while. Just got off a cruise and it was not enjoyable at all.

Food sucked. The menu is obviously redesigned to use cheaper ingredients and lesser amounts. The prime rib was definitely not prime. Mexican night is two slices of cheap skirt steak. Caribbean night was a dry tough pork chop with one slice of a plantain and a glob of rice. No more duck Al orange. Lamb shank instead of chops. Giovanni’s was still very good but the servings were cut in half. 
The clientele was for the most part Carnival rejects. 
Prices are up so much I’m not really even looking anymore. 
(Just my opinion. Flame me if you want)

I totally agree with everything you said.   For the first time in 25 cruises, I'm considering not booking any other cruises after we complete the ones we already have scheduled at this time.  Our last two cruises were pretty disappointing.

• Like 3