There are still many Pros for cruising Celebrity but what are the Cons

Thameside

On 2/8/2023 at 5:35 AM, Hlitner said:

LLP has been in the industry long enough to not get caught up in the Fire Sale games, ….

Hank

LLP is actively participating in fire sale games. They all are. Even FDR who openly boasts about his strict 

“market to fill” strategy participates after final payment. 

Keep in mind, these prices are direct from celebrity. If you go with a competing cruise agency a last minute 7 day sailing on the Solstice drops to $299 inside, $449 balcony, and $499 concierge. I would wager these are most certainly “priced to fill”. 

022BCE18-8435-46CF-A7C8-F50CA4354C67.png

• Like 1

I can understand the OP's concerns.   It often makes us feel better to groan and moan but important to explore alternatives if you are truly disappointed in the Celebrity product.

I've recently been exploring other cruise lines and will be taking our first non-Celebrity in 23 years in July.     We will be trying out Ponant which is totally different product but were encouraged by friend to give them a try.    Our first Ponant cruise is a trial balloon to "Test the Waters". 

This week I've been exploring Silverseas and have short listed a couple potential cruises.   It is also a totally different product but I can tell you the price differential is about 50-120% higher than Celebrity.    

Without any basis to compare I think like the airlines shifting between the mainstay cruise lines we will experience much of the same changes in service levels, staffing, cutbacks and   surcharges regardless of the cruise line.  

We still have 12 cruises booked with Celebrity so will be interlacing alternative lines as we move forward.    I can honestly way we are not proponents of the huge megaships which will also affect our selection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can understand the OP's concerns.   It often makes us feel better to groan and moan but important to explore alternatives if you are truly disappointed in the Celebrity product.

I've recently been exploring other cruise lines and will be taking our first non-Celebrity in 23 years in July.     We will be trying out Ponant which is totally different product but were encouraged by friend to give them a try.    Our first Ponant cruise is a trial balloon to "Test the Waters". 

This week I've been exploring Silverseas and have short listed a couple potential cruises.   It is also a totally different product but I can tell you the price differential is about 50-120% higher than Celebrity.    

Without any basis to compare I think like the airlines shifting between the mainstay cruise lines we will experience much of the same changes in service levels, staffing, cutbacks and   surcharges regardless of the cruise line.  

We still have 12 cruises booked with Celebrity so will be interlacing alternative lines as we move forward.    I can honestly way we are not proponents of the huge megaships which will also affect our selection.

We tried the old Crystal, Viking and Oceania last year and in January. Crystal was the best, but they have been acquired by A&F and Manfredi so I'll be looking for reviews. Viking, IMHO was better for us than Oceania. Speakers, entertainment and food were better to us on Viking. 

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I cannot help but remember, "try it, you'll like it."    I am still mystified by the so-called Loyalty mind set.  I have equated it with the person who thinks that Volkswagen Beatles are the best luxury automobiles in the world because they have never been in any other car.  

The reality is that each cruise line is different and many ships within the same cruise line are substantially different.   For many, it is just easier and convenient to stick with a single product and rationalize things they may not like.  For us, we have spent over 50 years seeking the perfect cruise/cruise line but even when we have found something close, there will be changes that impact future cruises.  At one time we thought Celebrity was, by far, the best mass market cruise line and we were unable to find a better product.  These days, you would have difficulty convincing me that we should book a cruise on X...especially their newer Edge Class.  I find the entire concept of their infinity balconies laughable!  They are merely similar what we used to call French Balconies and other than on some riverboats (where maximum width dictates design) there is no reason we would want to give up a real balcony/verandah for what is an outside cabin with movable windows.  In fact, just ask the folks on the recent Viking Polaris cruise (where a lady died after her "infinity window" was smashed by a wave and left her dead as well as several cabins destroyed.

Hank

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have you considered Virgin?  Just from the pix you share I believe you would really enjoy it and it’s priced a lot closer to X than the ultra premium lines

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just curious, what do you think your son would like about the E-Class that’s better/different than the M/S class?

I find the experience on all X ships, M/S/E to be nearly identical.  E-class has 4MDR which I suppose could appeal to those who want to feel like they went to different restaurants but to me, only the atmosphere is the different, the service and food (you can order Tuscan exclusives in Cypress) is the same.  The Eden which was a solution to a problem that never existed.  Even X execs seemed upset when they had to eliminate the forced interactions from Eden entertainers; they claim passengers didn’t appreciate the whimsical dynamic of it all.  Finally you have the IVs yet that’s been beaten to death, far more hate them than love them

M/S/E class service, food quality and entertainment are the same.  On a typical sea-day, if you’re lucky the highlight of the day time is a 45min lecture.  At night, you have one show repeated twice which is usually a musical every night but two and a passenger participation game/show

Cruising on X feels like cruising back in time mainly because there isn’t much to do.  You have to adhere to a rigid schedule with your dinner time or else you’ll miss a show.  The big three offer far more variety with entertainment and food venues.  You can see a comedian, sing karaoke or walk into a piano bar every night.  I still cruise on X primarily for the itinerary

When my Son goes to Las Vegas he stays in the Cosmopolitan Hotel and likes all the Glass and Chrome and stark industrial style. I like the Venetian or Bellagio. 

The Edge looks like an Industrial Office Building and that turns me off. On a cruise ship I like Warm tones, WOOD and understated Elegance of the M and S class ships.

BUT like I said X is building to attract my son's generation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, D. B. said:

When my Son goes to Las Vegas he stays in the Cosmopolitan Hotel and likes all the Glass and Chrome and stark industrial style. I like the Venetian or Bellagio. 

The Edge looks like an Industrial Office Building and that turns me off. On a cruise ship I like Warm tones, WOOD and understated Elegance of the M and S class ships.

BUT like I said X is building to attract my son's generation.

Thanks, I was under the (clearly false) assumption you meant experience.  He would probably love one of MSC's newer ships more than the E-Cllass

image.png.0d402203d05bda28e37acbb2df733541.png

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks, I was under the (clearly false) assumption you meant experience.  He would probably love one of MSC's newer ships more than the E-Cllass

image.png.0d402203d05bda28e37acbb2df733541.png

Oh yes that's his style.

Glad you showed me that photo so I would not be tempted to try an MSC ship.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Oh yes that's his style.

Glad you showed me that photo so I would not be tempted to try an MSC ship.

I suppose of all X's ships that the E-Class would be the most simular to Vegas's Cosmo but like you said, E-Class looks like an Industrial Office Building.  I personally think the E-Class is an attractive ship yet it's too industrial for me.  MSC style is far closer the Cosmo