Alaskan cruise formal nights

Jintymac

Not strict at all.  You can wear a tux and gown or jeans and hoodie.  Nobody cares anymore and as long as your jeans are not ripped and dirty, you’re fine.  You might get turned away if you wear shorts.

Be prepared, you will now get 247 answers on what is acceptable and not acceptable in the MDR.  Everyone has an opinion on this subject.  There is currently a thread with about a thousand responses.  You might want to read it, too.

Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is fabulous.

Grab your popcorn and settle in.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On our Alaska itinerary this past September I'd say the majority dressed up but certainly not everyone. Those that did ranged from an Oxford shirt and khakis, to a sport coat, to a suit and tie/long dress, to tuxedos and gowns, and even a few kilts. I didn't see anyone bat an eye or make a scene at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Alaskan cruise is in June. I'm planning on bringing a navy blue sports jacket, dress shirt, tie ( which I may not wear) , dark pants and a pair of black dress shoes. On the casual nights I'm thinking dark jeans and a flannel shirt but I'll decide when I get on board.

I've seen videos on YouTube of Alaskan cruise formal nights and there was pretty much every type of dress, but nobody who looked like they just came in from cutting the grass. 

13 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

My Alaskan cruise is in June. I'm planning on bringing a navy blue sports jacket, dress shirt, tie ( which I may not wear) , dark pants and a pair of black dress shoes. On the casual nights I'm thinking dark jeans and a flannel shirt but I'll decide when I get on board.

I've seen videos on YouTube of Alaskan cruise formal nights and there was pretty much every type of dress, but nobody who looked like they just came in from cutting the grass. 

We’re going in May. The DH flies his James Bond freak flag and my level of dress depends on what I am fitting into at the time but it’s always on point. I will say that my heroes are those who just vary up the t-shirt to something more festive but still a t-shirt on formal night. Do you. Don’t apologize. That’s fashion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CruiseCrabs said:

We’re going in May. The DH flies his James Bond freak flag and my level of dress depends on what I am fitting into at the time but it’s always on point. I will say that my heroes are those who just vary up the t-shirt to something more festive but still a t-shirt on formal night. Do you. Don’t apologize. That’s fashion.

Ha. Yes, a T under the dress shirt, and socks too. Will leave boxers or briefs to your imagination though. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, roadster08 said:

We are going in May.  Your comment caught my attention because I never plan a wardrobe that far in advance.  I suspect I will decide what to pack the day before we leave or the day Mrs Ldubs makes me pack, whichever comes first.   

Thank you all for your comments.  I was hoping that you would tell me that Princess no longer advises a  Tux/suit/Jacket for men on formal nights on Alaska Cruises as a few other lines have moved away from this recently. Its not that I am against dressing up on formal nights its just that we are travelling from UK and having a few days in Vancouver so would prefer to use our airline luggage allowance for smart/casual clothes. Perhaps we will just avoid the MDR on these nights if we feel a smart shirt and trousers are not dressy enough 🙂

9 minutes ago, Jintymac said:

Perhaps we will just avoid the MDR on these nights if we feel a smart shirt and trousers are not dressy enough 🙂

If you choose to do that you'll be missing out on some of the better dishes. 😔

26 minutes ago, Jintymac said:

Thank you all for your comments.  I was hoping that you would tell me that Princess no longer advises a  Tux/suit/Jacket for men on formal nights on Alaska Cruises as a few other lines have moved away from this recently. Its not that I am against dressing up on formal nights its just that we are travelling from UK and having a few days in Vancouver so would prefer to use our airline luggage allowance for smart/casual clothes. Perhaps we will just avoid the MDR on these nights if we feel a smart shirt and trousers are not dressy enough 🙂

We have flown from UK with suit/ cocktail dresses for an Alaskan cruise, followed by three weeks driving down to Phoenix. The packing can easily be managed if you remember you can also have a rollaboard case (cabin bag) on many international flights.(Check with your airline)  We cut back on toiletries etc. and I am not a light packer.  We did notice that the Alaskan cruise was not as formal as some other cruises with Princess and many will tell you they ‘got away with’  black jeans and a shirt on formal night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jintymac said:

No need to avoid the MDR on any night wearing smart/casual cloths.  Go and enjoy your meal.  Do not let the traditionalist prevent you from going.  They have no chance of changing anything on the ship.

• Like 1

On the Alaskan cruises we have been on, usually 10 day cruises, the MDR's on formal nights are always unusually casual.  We always comment what would the folks on CC be saying now!!!  You will be in the minority if you are dressed to the nines on a Princess Alaskan cruise.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Seen plenty of people dressed in formal attire who did not look that spiffy either so I do not think the term "slop" is only limited to more casual dressers.

I actually wrote slob but got autocorrected. But I have seen a lot of sloppy people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2