Windjammer desserts look way better than they taste

time4u2go

40 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Stick to the ranger cookies. They rarely disappoint.

6 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I usually just go for the cookies.

1 minute ago, immjs20 said:

Those coconut ranger cookies others have said!  Stick with them!

I don't even think the ranger cookies are as good as they used to be, they seem different.  The oatmeal raisin cookies are usually good and the ones with the white chocolate and dried cranberries.  The coconut macaroons in the gluten free section of the WJ on Anthem have become my coconut favorites!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Stick to the ranger cookies. They rarely disappoint.

I'm allergic to coconut. Makes me throw up. Just because you like them lol .. not everyone. 

Mud slides or a few times I've seen some new nut cookies.

Luckily cookies come in more than 1 flavor. 

Allure got crazy in the cafe with putting coconut on the eclairs every other day. What a disappointment. 

• Like 1

I agree 100% most of the desserts look fantastic, but tastes VERY blend.

I am a really big sucker for cheesecake but rarely ever takes more than one or two bites out of my plate and wonder how they could fail so miserably with cheesecake when even the "kits with just add water" you can buy in the grocery stores and make yourself tastes better.

Unfortunately I am to well behaved to answer honestly when they ask me how everything tasted...

Needed something light on stomach during last cruise (older small ship, rough sea, and stateroom location nearly in the bridge). Needed something light to eat. Ate plain jello without that "white stuff" on top. It was good. It was a mistake or I was too sick to notice the difference.

Aside from that DH had vanilla ice cream in a specialty restaurant, took 1 bite and said it horrible. Didn't have to worry about him gaining ice cream weight.

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I agree.  The desserts aren't bad because they are low sugar/low fat/low salt.  They are just bad.

they ARE capable of producing good and included in cruise fare desserts. I've had some in the MDR. It's the buffet where they are usually bad. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

they ARE capable of producing good and included in cruise fare desserts. I've had some in the MDR. It's the buffet where they are usually bad. 

Yes! The desserts in the MDR are the main reason we always try to eat there rather than ever at WJ. I thought I was the only one who didn't like the WJ desserts - I always see everyone taking them! Glad to know so many agree. There is sometimes a one-off that surprises (people have mentioned a few), but as a whole, blech...

• Like 3

Just now, jbrinkm said:

Yes! The desserts in the MDR are the main reason we always try to eat there rather than ever at WJ. I thought I was the only one who didn't like the WJ desserts - I always see everyone taking them! Glad to know so many agree. There is sometimes a one-off that surprises (people have mentioned a few), but as a whole, blech...

Even some of the ships that do the sailaway sheet cakes...like how are they SO bad, esp when I could bake something better tasting out of a box, just no excuse. 

and is there really a need for 10 different colors of Jello with whipped cream on top? Do people actually like the jello with whipped cream?  I had one on the last cruise just to see and it was just bizarre to me...I thought maybe it's just me not liking this, but I always see so many sitting on the shelves.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

It's been like that for as long as I remember (Not just RCI).  The deserts on the buffet always look nice but taste bland.  Going way back, I remember the grand midnight buffets always looked nice when you walked through it but when it came time to actually eat from it was usually disappointing.

Edited by pittnh
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pittnh said:

It's been like that for as long as I remember (Not just RCI).  The deserts on the buffet always look nice but taste bland.  Going way back, I remember the grand midnight buffets always looked nice when you walked through it but when it came time to actually eat from it was usually disappointing.

Mostly agree, but I do think NCL edges RCI in terms of buffet desserts, ONLY because they usually have someone scooping out regular icecream with some various toppings available. Not sure if other cruiselines have the regular/non soft serve icecream but I did really enjoy getting a scoop of icecream and putting stuff on top of it. 

Really, my bar for a good buffet dessert is that low lol

23 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Even some of the ships that do the sailaway sheet cakes...like how are they SO bad, esp when I could bake something better tasting out of a box, just no excuse. 

and is there really a need for 10 different colors of Jello with whipped cream on top? Do people actually like the jello with whipped cream?  I had one on the last cruise just to see and it was just bizarre to me...I thought maybe it's just me not liking this, but I always see so many sitting on the shelves.

You mean like this?

royal caribbean independence of the seas windjammer buffet cakes – Emma  Cruises

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Mostly agree, but I do think NCL edges RCI in terms of buffet desserts, ONLY because they usually have someone scooping out regular icecream with some various toppings available. Not sure if other cruiselines have the regular/non soft serve icecream but I did really enjoy getting a scoop of icecream and putting stuff on top of it. 

Really, my bar for a good buffet dessert is that low lol

I've seen this for years on Liberty and Allure, just at dinner, though.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

True. Though I was surprised they did fancy looking dessert night on lobster night. I tried a rice Krispy treat and would have liked it left alone. They cut it in half with some icky creme between.

20221216_175735.jpg

20221216_175801.jpg

I'd feel bad about eating those....

21 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

yum...lol! See they are even cutting more costs, with no whipped cream on the jello, just a piece of fruit lmao. 

Ummm, that's actually probably for the allergy folks.  Cool whip/fake whipped cream (vs specific vegan coconut cream) still has dairy in it.  So, I'm actually thrilled with multi jello and fresh berries on top b/c I can eat that off a buffet:).  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

“Gelatinous” is such an unappetizing word, but a perfect description of so many of the desserts 

I need some people from the UK to chime in. Whenever I watch The Great British Baking Show on Netflix, so much gelatin is used...maybe it's just me, maybe people from other regions really enjoy it?

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I go to plenty of restaurants, all over the country, and have gotten plenty of french fries with salt, even more trendy restaurants. If you want me to list them, I can. 

Still taking that generations money  tho, aren't ya 😛

I don't seem to have a problem finding salty, fatty, and sugary foods here in Anniston/Oxford, AL.  BTW, I road trip A LOT and I haven't had a problem elsewhere.  In fact, I'm leaving for the San Antonio area on Thursday.  I'll post if I can't find FF w/o salt or the availability of salt.  I'm not talking about "fast food" joints either.  We don't do too many fast food restaurants, anymore.  

• Like 1

I posted way back when I first became a member of Cruise Critic that I find the desserts on Rustbucket Cruise Lines are much better than on RCCL.  However, the rolls/buns are much better on RCCL than Rusbucket.  I don't cruise for desserts, so it ain't much of a big deal for me.  But, it would be nice to pick-up a nice piece of Pecan Pie or a nice slice of Chocolate Chocolate cake.  But, it ain't happen'in.  My last cruise on the Independence, we just grabbed a few cookies to take back to our cabin.  My very favorite dessert is Cheesecake, plain NY style Cheesecake.  It ain't very good on RCCL.  I order it while at Chops and eat about half of it.  RCCL could do much better, even for those that aren't foodies, dessert foodies.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I need some people from the UK to chime in. Whenever I watch The Great British Baking Show on Netflix, so much gelatin is used...maybe it's just me, maybe people from other regions really enjoy it?

Not me!  Give me sugar, cream, and salt.  I lived in Europe for 6 years.  I know how bland their desserts can be.  Their not bad, just not something I overly looked forward to.  Not most, anyway.  Some, exceptionally good.  Mostly, I found their whipped cream to be mostly sugar free.