Outside Guarantee Y and Obstructed Kat 8

jkhneuber

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Was your Guarantee fare lower than booking an Obstructed Cabin and choosing the exact cabin would have been?

We booked online with a travel agent in Norway. For our cruise, the Y GTE was the cheapest fare. (no balcony or CC suites we available) There were other categories OV, however, available rooms stated were only  Cat 8 with restricted view. Other categories  (OV and inside) stated "room to be assigned at check-in" So the decision was made very easily as we are also not interested in OBC. In the end, we were assigned 6033, the one with the best "view. 

• Like 1

I have stayed in 6036 once. It also has a decent view between the lifeboats. I would never book that category with two people as it is just too small, but for me it was fine especially when saving over $1,000 compared to a balcony. Only category 08 was available for oceanview so I only had the choice between a balcony and obstructed OV. The location is fantastic but you have to be careful when they are servicing the lifeboats to keep the blinds closed. 

personally I think they should restrict them to solo occupancy and reduce the size of the bed to at least a Queen or double which would make the room seem larger.

Edited by ptrpanpens

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2023 at 10:09 PM, ptrpanpens said:

I have stayed in 6036 once. It also has a decent view between the lifeboats. I would never book that category with two people as it is just too small, but for me it was fine especially when saving over $1,000 compared to a balcony. Only category 08 was available for oceanview so I only had the choice between a balcony and obstructed OV. The location is fantastic but you have to be careful when they are servicing the lifeboats to keep the blinds closed. 

personally I think they should restrict them to solo occupancy and reduce the size of the bed to at least a Queen or double which would make the room seem larger.

I booked an unobstructed view cat Y my invoice stated :

Stateroom: Y-GTY Oceanview Guarantee Stateroom

Obstructed View Percentage: 0%

I now find I have been given an Obstructed View .

I also have it in writing from my agent that I did not have an unobstructed view .

I would not have booked if  was going to get an Obstructed View !!

Any advise Please ??

46 minutes ago, roger b said:

I booked an unobstructed view cat Y my invoice stated :

Stateroom: Y-GTY Oceanview Guarantee Stateroom

Obstructed View Percentage: 0%

I now find I have been given an Obstructed View .

I also have it in writing from my agent that I did not have an unobstructed view .

I would not have booked if  was going to get an Obstructed View !!

Any advise Please ??

You need to go back to your travel agent- the challenge has to come via them to the cruise line 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

You need to go back to your travel agent- the challenge has to come via them to the cruise line 

Azamara are looking for a resolution!! Let's hope there is one as the cruise is sold out 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2024 at 2:46 PM, roger b said:

Azamara are looking for a resolution!! Let's hope there is one as the cruise is sold out 

I should think so, but not sure there is much hope on a sold out cruise.

We are generally content with an inside cabin, but would never book an inside guarantee because I am convinced we'd get an obstructed outside which is the smallest passenger cabin on the ship....smaller than an inside cabin.

Oceania, on their R class ships, classify these cabins as single occupancy...there is a reason for that!

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

I should think so, but not sure there is much hope on a sold out cruise.

We are generally content with an inside cabin, but would never book an inside guarantee because I am convinced we'd get an obstructed outside which is the smallest passenger cabin on the ship....smaller than an inside cabin.

Oceania, on their R class ships, classify these cabins as single occupancy...there is a reason for that!

Makes total sense. 

Phil 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Makes total sense. 

Phil 

BEWARE TO THOSE THINKING OF BOOKING A Y- GTY !!

Even when your invoice  Below :

Stateroom: Y-GTY Oceanview Guarantee Stateroom Obstructed View Percentage: 0%

I paid on this basis it does not mean this !! Azamara can give you whatever they please !!

I was given 6047 with a lovely view of the inside of a lifeboat 

Sharp Practice !!!

2 hours ago, roger b said:

I paid on this basis it does not mean this !! Azamara can give you whatever they please !!

Sharp Practice !!!

That is very poor. I hope you get it sorted out, but tough when the cruise is so sold. Maybe they find you something. I think your travel agent needs to take it well up the line. 

Phil 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That is very poor. I hope you get it sorted out, but tough when the cruise is so sold. Maybe they find you something. I think your travel agent needs to take it well up the line. 

Phil 

Response from Travel agent :

On the invoicing that you sent the guest   what cat shows up as a zero percent obstruction.  As if it states GTY and not a allocated room   that is why it says no obstructions.    The only time we would be ablet o advise of obstructions is if there is a room number showing.  GTY rooms will always show a zero obstruction until the room is allocated. 

Snookered !!!

Roger

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

....We are generally content with an inside cabin, but would never book an inside guarantee because I am convinced we'd get an obstructed outside which is the smallest passenger cabin on the ship....smaller than an inside cabin.

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Makes total sense. 

Phil 

3 hours ago, roger b said:

Sharp Practice !!!

Obviously I cannot speak for Phil, but his "makes total sense" comment I believe was in response to the fact that Oceania (on their identical ships to Az) only offer these obstructed rooms as single occupancy. That is because the greater problem than obstruction is the fact they are even smaller than an inside cabin. 

56 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Obviously I cannot speak for Phil, but his "makes total sense" comment I believe was in response to the fact that Oceania (on their identical ships to Az) only offer these obstructed rooms as single occupancy. That is because the greater problem than obstruction is the fact they are even smaller than an inside cabin. 

That's it. I actually really liked the cabin set up, but I was a solo traveller. With no sofa or table and as a couple they are disadvantaged. I would say they don't look that small and I like the way the wardrobe is fully accessed rather than in a corridor. But yes, no sofa or table they are no good for room service. 

Phil 

• Like 1

6033 was fine however the interior arrangement made it a little tight for two people. However to us,  the view was more or less unobstructed. Mind you we were so happy to have made it on board for a welcome Easter vacation. And spend lots of time in the Living Room instead. In future we will not book this catagory again. Last April (2 Azamara cruises further. :-)) we had an outside on deck 4 which was surprisingly comfortable. 

IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

• Like 1