LAPEL PINS

GeriatricNurse

On 2/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, MSP_CRUISER said:

I don't care for the non-inclusive, attention seeking nature of it. What's the message you trying to send by wearing it? 

I'm reminded of the Royal Caribbean passenger who had a plastic name tag printed which said: 
"First Name, Last Name, Pinnacle Club".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/12/2023 at 5:14 PM, MSP_CRUISER said:

I don't care for the non-inclusive, attention seeking nature of it. What's the message you trying to send by wearing it? 

You don't care for it, so you don't wear it...which is perfectly fine...for you.

Someone else just might not see it exactly the way that you do and thus they may want to wear it...which is perfectly fine...for them.

Have you considered that maybe...just maybe...a person wears a pin because they want to and not because they are trying to send a message?

Nobody if forcing you to wear the pin, nor are they trying to disparage you for your choice. Why not simply treat those who want to wear it the same?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Have you considered that maybe...just maybe...a person wears a pin because they want to and not because they are trying to send a message?

Why not simply treat those who want to wear it the same?

The only reason to wear it is to send a message. It's like a bumper sticker on a car...if your not trying to send a message then you don't put one on. When you choose to wear one....we "get" the message alright! 

They clearly don't want to be treated the "same"...hence the pin.

Edited by MSP_CRUISER
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

The only reason to wear it is to send a message. It's like a bumper sticker on a car...if your not trying to send a message then you don't put one on. When you choose to wear one....we "get" the message alright! 

They clearly don't want to be treated the "same"...hence the pin.

IOW your need to judge overrides live and let live?

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

IOW your need to judge overrides live and let live?

When people choose to make a statement, then yes I will make a judgement on that statement. It's no different then seeing a political sign in a neighbors yard. It's hard not to judge when people go though all the effort to advertise there status or opinion with others.

I'm not a pin wearer. Heck, I peel the dealer's label off my car so no one knows where I got it, but that's more about not providing free advertising. I don't really judge pin wearers. I used to be one. Way back in the day. In a tan uniform. 

Anyway, I could absolutely imagine a pin wearer of the higher tiers "saying" with their pin that they are proud to be a customer of NCL. That they enjoy their cruise and are happy to support NCL. What's so bad about that? 

I'd have to know the intent of wearing the pin, before judging the wearer. But, you won't be seeing a pin on me. And that has nothing to do with NCL. I've just jabbed myself in the chest and neck too many times with those sharp points.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

When people choose to make a statement, then yes I will make a judgement on that statement. It's no different then seeing a political sign in a neighbors yard. It's hard not to judge when people go though all the effort to advertise there status or opinion with others.

Maybe it wouldn't be so hard if you didn't put the effort into the presumption of their intent. Maybe they just like the pin...or is that a problem too? Do you judge everything someone wears based on some presumed message they are allegedly sending? Spending time judging what others choose to wear...especially when it is a pin (which, btw, only indicates their status with the cruise line, not their status with you or me)? Seriously? Aren't you better than that?

Perhaps you need to examine why this even gets a millisecond of your time. I hope you can find peace.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Anyway, I could absolutely imagine a pin wearer of the higher tiers "saying" with their pin that they are proud to be a customer of NCL. That they enjoy their cruise and are happy to support NCL. What's so bad about that? 

I'd say it speaks to the fact your not it touch with how modern companies do business. This isn't the 1960's anymore. Just like the reason (lack of loyalty) people don't work for the same company for their entire careers anymore. Once you make your final payment, cruise lines (all of them) could really care less about you. They might give you some lip service or a pin and some free drinks ect, but when it really comes down to it cruise lines are loyal to their stockholders. To show any real loyalty towards cruse corporations is pretty short sighted....I choose my cruises based on the on board experience, prices, itinerary's...ect. I'd never cruise one line and only line only due to "loyalty". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Maybe it wouldn't be so hard if you didn't put the effort into the presumption of their intent. Maybe they just like the pin...or is that a problem too? Do you judge everything someone wears based on some presumed message they are allegedly sending? Spending time judging what others choose to wear...especially when it is a pin (which, btw, only indicates their status with the cruise line, not their status with you or me)? Seriously? Aren't you better than that?

Perhaps you need to examine why this even gets a millisecond of your time. I hope you can find peace.

I'm on a cruise...all I have is time. Plus it only takes a millisecond to judge a pin snob.

15 minutes ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

I'd say it speaks to the fact your not it touch with how modern companies do business. This isn't the 1960's anymore. Just like the reason (lack of loyalty) people don't work for the same company for their entire careers anymore. Once you make your final payment, cruise lines (all of them) could really care less about you. They might give you some lip service or a pin and some free drinks ect, but when it really comes down to it cruise lines are loyal to their stockholders. To show any real loyalty towards cruse corporations is pretty short sighted....I choose my cruises based on the on board experience, prices, itinerary's...ect. I'd never cruise one line and only line only due to "loyalty". 

Why would you assume that someone wearing a particular pin on a particular day cruises one line and only one line? Seems extremely short-sighted on your part, but this is what the rush to judgment mentality will do for you I guess.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

I don't think I disagree with one word you said up there. I show loyalty to no large corporation. Because there is no loyalty left when speaking of corporate America. I could go on, but I really think that would be about more than lapel pins.

I understand your point and don't disagree. Maybe next time I see a cruise line pin, I'll think to myself, "I wonder why they're wearing that pin?" I won't ask them. I'm an introvert. 🤠

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Why would you assume that someone wearing a particular pin on a particular day cruises one line and only one line? Seems extremely short-sighted on your part, but this is what the rush to judgment mentality will do for you I guess.

In your rushed to attempt to criticize me, you didn't actually read my comment correctly. I said "I'd never cruise one line and only line only due to "loyalty".  Seems extremely short-sighted on your part, to not read my entire post before forming your argument around a comment I didn't make. LOL. Maybe try you luck again at this tomorrow or something.

2 hours ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

While I love NCL, I frequent many other lines as well. I might not cruise on them as much as I do NCL, but nonetheless, I still do. I don't cruise NCL simply because of loyalty; I cruise NCL because I LIKE to cruise with NCL. I could make a lengthy list of things I love about NCL and a list some things I do not. To be quite honest, I personally think NCL has one of the most LACKING loyalty programs in the business. I'm not quite sure what a pin has to do with only sailing with one line solely for loyalty, but yes, I do proudly display my pin on nights where I'm wearing a sport coat, during parties, events etc -- and yes, I also do happen to be a stockholder. No, I don't wear my pin everywhere, all day. But, since I do love NCL for the cruise experience itself and have accumulated, at this point, close to 1,000 points via their program, I think I've earned the right to display my pin on some special nights/occasions, yes. 

Of course, this is my POV and take it as you wish. 🙂

• Like 1

to pin or not to pin! why is this even an issue, and why spend so much time arguing about it.

i get my pin, and throw it n the suitcase, never to be seen again. if someone wants to wear the pin, no one else should even give a rats tushie about why.

as an aside, i cruise ncl as after checking other lines, i firmly believe  ncl gives it's passengers the best "bang for their buck", itinerary and price wise, although i concede that they are getting pricey the lst few years. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

For what it’s worth, let me add a fresh voice to this conversation.

I’d like to take wearing tier pins to the Latitudes cocktail party off the table. The party is to recognize frequent cruisers and provide a forum for them to share experiences and knowledge. Contrary to what many attendees believe, it’s not just for a free drink and cheese cubes. In that environment, the pins are no different than raising your hands and applauding when each tier is pointed out by many CruiseNext managers.

Outside of the party, many senior Latitudes members wear their pins as an open invitation to fellow passengers to ask them questions, knowing that they have a depth of NCL cruising knowledge. Back when I was Diamond, I wore that pin on occasion, and several guests opened dialogues in the theater before a show, on a bus to an excursion or in a restaurant, comfortable asking another passenger things that would be uncomfortable or inappropriate to broach with the crew. I welcomed those exchanges and was glad to help.

I haven’t yet received my Ambassador pin, but likely will wear it sometimes for the same reason. It won’t be to show off, but after turning over many tens of thousands of dollars to Norwegian, I’d have absolutely no issue with someone else having that motive.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, lkjacobs said:

Outside of the party, many senior Latitudes members wear their pins as an open invitation to fellow passengers to ask them questions, knowing that they have a depth of NCL cruising knowledge.

This is what I was thinking! I'm not a pin wearer of any kind myself, but as a cruise rookie I talked to many with huge cruising experience. I asked lot of questions and asked their views of different things. I wasn't aware of the pins then, but if I had been maybe they would have made me approach more people, and maybe they would have liked that. Or not... Hmmm...

We're gold and have never see one (even on someone else). I don't know how big they are, but if they're smallish, I can always use a new tie tack.  A pic would be nice.

We'll probably ask for them on our next cruise -- to collect, not to wear.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:24 PM, romalley99 said:

I wear my Ambassador Latitudes Pin with my name customized on it -- but I see many wearing their other tier pins all the time, especially at the party. 

We never got tier pins for any of our tiers - we're platinum now, and ave been for a while.  But I'm missing some fo the ship pins because they stopped doing them for a bit.

22 hours ago, RB9643 said:

We're gold and have never see one (even on someone else). I don't know how big they are, but if they're smallish, I can always use a new tie tack.  A pic would be nice.

We'll probably ask for them on our next cruise -- to collect, not to wear.

Here are our set of cruise pins. The new Latitudes pins are pretty large, TBH, and are a bit cumbersome on a lanyard. See the size vs. the RCCL pins or the old NCL ship pins.

We wear the pins on the first cruise when we receive them, but then they go up on our pin board as a souvenir. We don’t take them with us on subsequent cruises. 

IMG_5605.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:38 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would rather get a 2 dollar bill than another one of those pins.  I'm sure that DW has ours squirreled away somewhere, but I'm just not a merit badge wearing type of person anymore.  I outgrew that about the time I figured out that nobody cared (I think that was around the time I turned ten and dropped out of such things).

You know, next time I cruise with you, I'm going to wear ALL OF MY pins.  And, I'm going to make sure I point to all of them and regale you with how I acquired each and every one of them, and the experiences I had on every cruise I've taken.  LOL!

In all seriousness, I have mine in a drawer somewhere.  I don't even remember where they are.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 5