Interesting Video Review That Supports Recent Comments

Fla Mike

I'm interested in what people think about bloggers and their "live" stuff.     I find these people with their cameras taping everything quite intrusive.   It's also annoying when you are at dinner and get stuck next to someone doing a piece to camera and all you hear is them droning on and on and on.    For some reason it seems so much more disruptive than a normal conversation would be.

I know in a public space we have no right to privacy, but i also don't think I would be happy about seeing about seeing myself in one of these vids (maybe when I lose a few kilos i might think differently 🙂 )

Modern life eh?!    I guess I need to move with the times. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I used to watch a lot of these cruise vloggers, but I don't watch many of their videos anymore.

It seems as if they have become addicted to clicks and YouTube revenue, and are putting out a video every time they have gas (or whatever).

In my view, some of their monetized videos about deaths and injuries on cruise ships cross the line of information and enter the territory of exploitation of death and misery for the ultimate goal of enhancing their personal wealth.  They'll act sad, but it is an act.  And if I'm wrong, then I would suggest that they not monetize any video that deals with death, misery or injuries on cruise ships.  That won't happen, btw.

Since Gary Bembridge (Tips for Travellers) was mentioned, I will say that I find him to be witty, intelligent, and credible, and likely the best of the lot of them.

I stopped watching most of them this last cruise. The problem was they were giving out bad information, such as...oh look at those Condominiums (crew quarters on OC), I bet they cost a lot to rent, or not going to the buffet on OC, that line will take an hour to get through (stood in it 2 weeks ago and it was long but only took 21 minutes when all the way out to the road), nothing but hamburgers and hot dogs in OC buffet just go to the food shacks (false! they have chicken, ribs, fish, salads), if you complain enough you will get free stuff (🤦), and on and on it goes.

If you are going to do a vlog then at least know what you are talking about. Irritates me to no end to watch a vlog and the person give out the wrong information!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suzieanna said:

I know in a public space we have no right to privacy

But kids do have. At least in many countries it is NOT ALLOWED to film or photograph them in public space.

1 hour ago, Suzieanna said:

Unfortunately. But I can guarantee any blogger/youtuber/whatever, if you take photos or videos from my kids, prepare for a high jump and deep dive to get you cellphone/camera back. 

I only urge the cruise companies to protect us from this annoyance. 

17 hours ago, sabres431 said:

I'm not  fan of his anymore.  He really lost me during covid.  He also interviewed the couple that had nothing good to say about Yacht Club on his first sailing with Seascape.  I mean, honestly, he's getting his opinions on Yacht Club from people who went to the buffet because it was "better".

Exactly!  

2 hours ago, Suzieanna said:

I'm interested in what people think about bloggers and their "live" stuff.     I find these people with their cameras taping everything quite intrusive.   It's also annoying when you are at dinner and get stuck next to someone doing a piece to camera and all you hear is them droning on and on and on.    For some reason it seems so much more disruptive than a normal conversation would be.

I know in a public space we have no right to privacy, but i also don't think I would be happy about seeing about seeing myself in one of these vids (maybe when I lose a few kilos i might think differently 🙂 )

I completely agree with you. 

We had 2 on our Divina cruise in January.
One we had the misfortune of being on tour with in Colombia. 

She was loud, pushy and just plain ignorant. I won’t get into it but when she announced her YouTube channel to all of us on the bus she was booed loudly. 

The other one made herself seen with her huge hats and colorful outfits and pushed her way to the front of every line we saw her in with her camera on her selfie stick proclaiming “I’m going live everyone please let me through”. 
Not kidding. 

We saw her sitting alone in the MDR with her phone on a tripod across from her talking the entire meal about every boring thing. 

On a ship with 3800 other passengers we kept bumping into these 2. It was uncanny. 

Unfortunately this has become big business, so you get the competition that goes along with it.  I like the positive people that put out videos, especially on the ships we have not been on.

The business side has created a culture of negative or "gotcha" videos, with gotcha titles to get people to click on them so they can get paid.  It's all about the money.

• Like 1

I'm going to briefly go off on an odd tangent that relates to "right to privacy".

I'm a former SoCal police officer, and the courts have held that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in the back of a police car.  The exception would be a conversation between an attorney and client (aka attorney/client privilege).  So we'd put 2 suspects in the backseat together, leave them alone for awhile, and let the tape recorder run.  When we'd play it back, there were often all sorts of wonderful confessions recorded, and typically fully admissible as evidence!

Okay, back to cruising.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I'm going to briefly go off on an odd tangent that relates to "right to privacy".

I'm a former SoCal police officer, and the courts have held that there is no right to privacy in the back of a police car.  The exception would be a conversation between an attorney and client.  So we'd put 2 suspects in the backseat together, leave them alone for awhile, and let the tape recorder run.  When we'd play it back, there were often all sorts of wonderful confessions!

Okay, back to cruising.

Did you inform them that they were being recorded?

If not could you use the content of those tapes against them in court if the individuals didn’t know they were being recorded? 

4 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Did you inform them that they were being recorded?

If not could you use the content of those tapes against them in court if the individuals didn’t know they were being recorded? 

They were not informed that they were recorded because the courts have held that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in the back of the police car.

Police are also allowed to lie to suspects. And there are many things that we don’t have to tell them.  Obviously, police cannot arrest on false charges or include false information in an official police report.

I used to work some undercover with the vice unit, picking up prostitutes, and apparently they thought that if you asked the person if they were a police officer, they had to tell you. But that’s not true, and I would say, “Hell no!“ when asked.  In fact, many times they would not even know that I was a police officer until they ultimately read the arrest report well after their arrest. 

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

I completely agree with you. 

We had 2 on our Divina cruise in January.
One we had the misfortune of being on tour with in Colombia. 

She was loud, pushy and just plain ignorant. I won’t get into it but when she announced her YouTube channel to all of us on the bus she was booed loudly. 

The other one made herself seen with her huge hats and colorful outfits and pushed her way to the front of every line we saw her in with her camera on her selfie stick proclaiming “I’m going live everyone please let me through”. 
Not kidding. 

We saw her sitting alone in the MDR with her phone on a tripod across from her talking the entire meal about every boring thing. 

On a ship with 3800 other passengers we kept bumping into these 2. It was uncanny. 

Sorry that happened to you!  Joe must be your cousin! 😉

image.png.2127d3873a72ca19b6afbf17c60d1b4a.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

Sorry that happened to you!  Joe must be your cousin! 😉

image.png.2127d3873a72ca19b6afbf17c60d1b4a.png

It’s so strange how we always seem to run into the same people and the last day we see new faces and wonder where they were the entire cruise? lol

We met two great families on our last day in the hot tub and all of us commented that our cruise could have been so much more enjoyable had we met the first day. Oh well.
I recently “ran” into one lady on FB. I recognized her picture on a post she commented on. So it’s been nice to catch up. 

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

It’s so strange how we always seem to run into the same people and the last day we see new faces and wonder where they were the entire cruise? lol

We met two great families on our last day in the hot tub and all of us commented that our cruise could have been so much more enjoyable had we met the first day. Oh well.
I recently “ran” into one lady on FB. I recognized her picture on a post she commented on. So it’s been nice to catch up. 

I made the same comment to my husband. Some people you see constantly and others never again. It’s weird to me. Haha. 

• Like 1

This thread is def skewed toward YouTube-haters. 😂  I get that, but if you look at the number of views travel vloggers have on YouTube, you can see there are multitudes who watch, and there is competition for watchers. 
His video started off a little negative, but he wasn’t hating on his entire cruise. He pointed out several things he liked, such as the design of the ship, so he wasn’t doing a hatchet job. He wasn’t  complaining about kids in the disco as an annoyance. He was warning MSC, the biggest  European cruise line, that its entry into the US market could spell disaster if a minor was sexually assaulted. Besides Covid hurting their business for a few years, cruise lines are often in the news for negative reasons: service cuts, price hikes, passengers and crew publicized fights, and suicide/accidental falls overboard. His opinion was that minors in a nightclub especially without parental supervision, could lead to more bad publicity. Of course he wants cruise lines to be successful —  part of his income deoends on it. He’s not a vlogger who fawns over new ships. He’s willing to share the unsavory side of cruising. Based on his cabin, an inside, that his travel-agent sponsor paid for (probably a freebie) it’s safe to say he’s not getting the Owner’s Suite for his reviews. I wish all the vloggers success, except when their vlogging interferes with passengers trying to enjoy their cruise. SMH at the horrible, entitled behavior others posted about. 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 9:01 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

He is also rated #5 in Gary Bembridge's top 50 youtube list of travel bloggers with 177,700 subscribers.

I don't know...anyone can throw out numbers, but without looking at the big picture, numbers can be misleading.

#5 and 177,700 subscribers sounds so great....but consider:

The video has 7,200 likes. So only 4% of his subscriber base even likes the video.

While we know how many subscribers there are, we aren't seeing the number of views. I think there is a big difference between someone who hits the subscribe button and someone who actually watches the content. Are those 177k people watching? If so, why so few likes?

177,700 subscribers. Given the US population, that means that only 0.05% (that is 1/20th of 1 percent) of the US subscribe. When you consider that YouTube is a US only site, that percentage drops dramatically.

I never watch videos myself; I just find them annoying and at the wrong pace. However, I come across many questions from potential cruisers which are answered by "there are lots of youtube videos on the subject; check them out", rather than answering the question. Especially for someone just beginning to explore what cruises are like, I suspect this sort of reply leads to a lot of watching.... and some misinformation.  

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I don't know...anyone can throw out numbers, but without looking at the big picture, numbers can be misleading.

The video has 7,200 likes. So only 4% of his subscriber base even likes the video.

While we know how many subscribers there are, we aren't seeing the number of views. I think there is a big difference between someone who hits the subscribe button and someone who actually watches the content. Are those 177k people watching? If so, why so few likes?

177,700 subscribers. Given the US population, that means that only 0.05% (that is 1/20th of 1 percent) of the US subscribe. When you consider that YouTube is not a US only site, that percentage drops dramatically.

Sorry...meant to say that YouTube is NOT a US only site...

12 hours ago, SeaShark said:

177,700 subscribers. Given the US population, that means that only 0.05% (that is 1/20th of 1 percent) of the US subscribe. When you consider that YouTube is a US only site, that percentage drops dramatically.

Everything you state is probably true. Just comparing to the 144 followers of this MSC page and its 7 followers of this thread.

There is some bad history with this Content Creator and MSC. If you go back a couple of years he did a sailing on Mera and absolutely blasted them. Im remember because that was the last time I watched any of his content due to the reasons and level of negativity from him. He purchased a balcony as I recall as part of one of the balcony upgrade deals and it was very inexpensive. He was clearly VERY upset at the end of the voyage due to some issues with Guest Relations, etc. At that time maybe it was his second cruise on them. That was over a year ago at least. Now he’s back again and same. For someone who has a history of really disliking this product and brand, he really does come back an awful lot - for free……. 🤔

MSC I believe brings alot of views from people on YT due to their love them or hate them reception and reputation in North America.  I think for views MSC will definitely bring more interest from the average viewer than say just another RCCL or NCL bland review.  

Ill come here for opinions. I go there for just objective ship tours which some do a great job with. 

Edited by BoundForSea