New York Hotel Suggestions

Karpz9

I am looking for hotel suggestions for my adult daughter and I for a 1 or 2 night stay in NYC prior to sailing out of Manhattan in mid June.  We have never been before and would like to be able to walk to Central Park and Times Square. Wanting 2 beds and potentially a city view. Price range would be about $300 - $500 a night. I have tried looking on my own and am overwhelmed by the number of choices. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Karpz9 said:

We have never been before and would like to be able to walk to Central Park and Times Square. Wanting 2 beds and potentially a city view. Price range would be about $300 - $500 a night.

So the question is a bit broad-- as you've seen there are literally thousands of hotels to choose from. Your budget for June will put you into a solid 4 star hotel in a good location and possibly even a nice 5 star hotel with a good deal or stretching it a little bit. 

Do you have any particular brand loyalty either earning points (or possibly using points to maximize pricing)? That would help focus the question and help us make a better rec. 

Can recommend both the Hampton Inn Times Square North and Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Central.  Have stayed at both, and both have room options with 2 beds.  We did not have a City view with the Hampton but they may be available.  We had a Times Square "ball" view at the Hilton which was fun.  Both are very clean, nothing too fancy.  Hampton has an included breakfast, Hilton does not (sooo many great cafes and bagel places that we didn't find this to be very important but it might be nice to grab something quick before heading to the port on that morning).  Both are very walkable to both Times Square (right there really, especially for the Hilton) and Central Park.   Also to Rockafeller Center, St. Patricks, Grand Central Station.  Both very convenient to the subway to get downtown (9/11 Memorial/Museum, Statue of Liberty) or other areas.  I would stay at either again for sure.  

Just now, sandym718 said:

Can recommend both the Hampton Inn Times Square North and Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Central.  Have stayed at both, and both have room options with 2 beds.  We did not have a City view with the Hampton but they may be available.  We had a Times Square "ball" view at the Hilton which was fun.  Both are very clean, nothing too fancy.  Hampton has an included breakfast, Hilton does not (sooo many great cafes and bagel places that we didn't find this to be very important but it might be nice to grab something quick before heading to the port on that morning).  Both are very walkable to both Times Square (right there really, especially for the Hilton) and Central Park.   Also to Rockafeller Center, St. Patricks, Grand Central Station.  Both very convenient to the subway to get downtown (9/11 Memorial/Museum, Statue of Liberty) or other areas.  I would stay at either again for sure.  

Forgot to add...depending on dates, either of these may come in BELOW your budget range.  

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Do you have any particular brand loyalty either earning points (or possibly using points to maximize pricing)? That would help focus the question and help us make a better rec. 

No particular brand loyalty and am not using points.

4 minutes ago, George C said:

We always stay at michealanglo great hotel in perfect location easy walk to Times Square, Rockefeller center, Central Park. Large rooms over 400 sq ft . 

Perfect location for what OP wants to do. I prefer that area much more than 8th Ave. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George C said:

We always stay at michealanglo great hotel in perfect location easy walk to Times Square, Rockefeller center, Central Park. Large rooms over 400 sq ft . 

With the OPs budget, and a little luck on pricing, that was my first thought as well. It won't have great views, but it's just far enough from Times Square, just close enough to Rockefeller Center, and not too far to Central Park. And it's a really nice hotel.

• Like 1

We like the Marriott Marquis or the Michelangelo when visiting NYC.  My friend and I stayed at the Michelangelo when we cruised out of NYC in 2019.  I have also stayed at the Marriott Marquis many times, most recently in October, 2022.  These hotels will fall into the higher end of your budget.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, antmaril said:

We like the Marriott Marquis or the Michelangelo when visiting NYC.  My friend and I stayed at the Michelangelo when we cruised out of NYC in 2019.  I have also stayed at the Marriott Marquis many times, most recently in October, 2022.  These hotels will fall into the higher end of your budget.  

As a local I don’t like the Marquis. Why? Because they allow anyone off the street to come in. That’s where I go to waste time before a show. Lol 

54 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

As a local I don’t like the Marquis. Why? Because they allow anyone off the street to come in. That’s where I go to waste time before a show. Lol 

Well, I have stayed there a few times and have enjoyed it.  We haven’t had any problems.  Rooms are big by NY standards.  

Edited by antmaril
  • Like 1

I haven’t stayed at Marquis but visited a few times since they have a very nice revolving bar , just a little to large for me . Doubt rooms are as big as michealanglo which are 400 ft or larger , we stay there every year , we’re upgraded to 600 so ft suites a few time now we just booked the suites. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, kaybee55 said:

Is it possible to walk to NCL Manahattan cruise port from Hilton Midtown, thanks 

Yes - about seven long east-west blocks - perhaps a mile and a half - with six avenues to cross — just a fair walk if you travel light — but tough on the wheels of your luggage if you trundle stuff along.  Not the prettiest part of town - I would spring for a taxi.

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes - about seven long east-west blocks - perhaps a mile and a half - with six avenues to cross — just a fair walk if you travel light — but tough on the wheels of your luggage if you trundle stuff along.  Not the prettiest part of town - I would spring for a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are sailing NCL Escape, 10/15/23, Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

We have never visited NYC - 2 questions I need CC input and feedback

1) has anyone stayed at Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Times Square?  If so, good/bad?

2) thinking of flying in from Chicago MDW to LaGuardia, arriving 9:30 am day of cruise (Sunday) 

I know weather, pilots, strikes,  all can hamper a timely arrival.  

IYO, is this a good idea?

Thanks!

i would never fly on the day we were sailing

Home2 appears to be in Long island city in queens with a view of Manhattan , i would suggest something in midtown close to times square, there are a few hilton hotels in that area

Edited by George C

2 hours ago, George C said:

i would never fly on the day we were sailing

Home2 appears to be in Long island city in queens with a view of Manhattan , i would suggest something in midtown close to times square, there are a few hilton hotels in that area

Thanks for your input.  We changed our plans to fly in Saturday, early a.m., drop our luggage (just booked a room at Choice Hotel on 48th St. less than a mile from MCT.  We'll take the day/afternoon/evening to explore NYC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunshine4me2 said:

Thanks for your input.  We changed our plans to fly in Saturday, early a.m., drop our luggage (just booked a room at Choice Hotel on 48th St. less than a mile from MCT.  We'll take the day/afternoon/evening to explore NYC

Per Hilton's website There's a Home 2 Suites by Hilton New York Times Square that is scheduled to open September 15. It's not the hotel in Long Island City mentioned by @George C.

If the Choice Hotel you booked is the Comfort Inn Manhattan Midtown West, it's located on West 48th St. literally a stone's throw...only about a 5 minute walk or less, from Pier 88, where your ship will dock. However, the Home 2 Suites is located closer to some of the attractions you might want to see like Rockefeller Center and Times Square.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Choice hotel would definitely the better location in my mind depending if it opens on schedule. The area around the pier is not that desirable in my opinion. The better restaurants etc will be closer to Times Square area . When it gets closer we can definitely give you some nice restaurants in the area. 

40 minutes ago, George C said:

Sounds like the Choice hotel would definitely the better location in my mind depending if it opens on schedule. The area around the pier is not that desirable in my opinion. The better restaurants etc will be closer to Times Square area . When it gets closer we can definitely give you some nice restaurants in the area. 

I think you meant to say the Home 2 Suites would be the better location, assuming it opens on time.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:55 PM, njhorseman said:

I think you meant to say the Home 2 Suites would be the better location, assuming it opens on time.

And never expect NYC hotels to open on time.  It is rare that they do.

• Like 1