A few of handy things to know: 

Alice Anne

Liquid water is not allowed through airport security, but solid water is.
On 3/8/2023 at 7:40 AM, crazyank said:

Nope, and by freezing it you will have to deal with condensation.

Actually, this is true. I've done it for years! I hate lukewarm water, and I hate paying $5/bottle for it when there's fountains and bottle fillers all over. Before I leave home I fill up my water bottle with ice from the fridge, then when I get to the airport I just dump out any of the melted liquid and send the water bottle with ice through in my backpack. I've never had any issues! I actually had a TSA agent tell me this one time when he saw me dumping out the water and ice from my bottle. 

Edited by sjlogghe
  • Like 2

My advice,  pack an empty tote bag (or backpack) to put into your luggage.  You can use this on port days to go into town and hold your souvenirs.  Also can be used to hold lightweight clothing for layering (depending upon where you go).  The empty tote can also be used as the hamper inside your cabin.  Best part, the empty tote can be used as your carryon if needed ( ever buy anything fragile that you just did not want to pack away).

• Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, ldubs said:

Agree completely.  Don't need the swim trunks on boarding day.   Why pack seasick meds if we don't get seasick.   Good risk management would say there is a time when travel insurance should be considered and a time when it shouldn't.   And, not one rule fits all.     

There's always a first time. Rather have a solution with me. Just sayin'

On 3/12/2023 at 4:59 AM, sjlogghe said:
Before I leave home I fill up my water bottle with ice from the fridge, then when I get to the airport I just dump out any of the melted liquid and send the water bottle with ice through in my backpack. I've never had any issues!

last time we traveled, I brought an 8 oz pack of cream cheese for our breakfast in the carry on backpack. TSA promptly removed it, because it's a threat.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

last time we traveled, I brought an 8 oz pack of cream cheese for our breakfast in the carry on backpack. TSA promptly removed it, because it's a threat.

Interesting. The TSA website currently says that you can bring a 3.4 ounce or smaller package in your carry on and any size in your checked baggage.

tsa cheese.jpg

2 minutes ago, auntmeg said:

Interesting. The TSA website currently says that you can bring a 3.4 ounce or smaller package in your carry on and any size in your checked baggage.

tsa cheese.jpg

yes, the TSA guy said that less than 4 oz would no longer be a threat. I briefly considered eating half a package in front of him....

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 9

On 2/14/2023 at 7:02 AM, travelingman said:

@Alice Anne I might question - "Put a color copy of the photo page of your passport in each suitcase, just in case."  I actually used to do this but then someone pointed out that if someone got into your suitcase and took that copy of your photo page they would have your identity.

I now put a copy of our itinerary in the suitcase and the outside pocket of the suitcase - in case it gets lost the airline will at lease know where we will be each day.

We do make address cards for everywhere we will be staying during the trip and change out the address card in the luggage tag holder each time we get ready to move to another hotel, ship, Airbnb, etc.

This only takes a few minutes to do.

I agree that this is dangerous. I have a copy of my passport in my electronic password keeper. No hard copies around. 

10 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I agree that this is dangerous. I have a copy of my passport in my electronic password keeper. No hard copies around. 

It’s just as easy to take a photo with your phone, there is no longer a reason to print out hard copies. 

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It’s just as easy to take a photo with your phone, there is no longer a reason to print out hard copies. 

Yes, that's exactly what I have done. But I don't leave the photo in Photos - I store it in a secure keeper.

A lot of apps have access to photos and I'm a bit paranoid about malware. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, cindyflora said:

There's always a first time. Rather have a solution with me. Just sayin'

Yep, I agree if that is what works for you. Like they say, one rule isn't going to fit everyone.   

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/16/2023 at 12:27 PM, Guest CunucuMom said:

Very helpful suggestions.  As for travel insurance, my big thing is coverage for medical evacuation.  Even those who are young and healthy, an accident (we've seen some of the island transportation and roadways! 🙈) can land you in the hospital.  I want to make sure I have the option to be treated at home without having to max out credit cards to pay for a med flight.

Agreed. My wife was clumsy playing mini gold on the Oasis and she tripped and broke her hand and glasses. We thought she was going to have to have surgery in Cozumel when we pulled in and that would have been VERY PRICEY. Fortunately I had trip insurance which would have covered it and the doctors on board decided that she could wait until we got home to have surgery. But you never know.

• Like 1