New Crystal - storage - single and double guest rooms with ocean view - with and without veranda

happy cruising

I just took a close look at the photo of the new design of the single and double rooms with ocean view . The desk area has significantly less storage space than on old crystal. There used to be 6 drawers total on either side of the desk and there were 3 shelves up on the side of the mirror. Those shelves and drawers appear to be gone in both the single and double renovated rooms. If the photo is accurate, the new rooms will have only closet space and 2 drawers in each nightstand. This is a significant take away in storage space in those rooms.

image.thumb.png.5370ae45437ba285cd87139c7d6fe625.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I raised the same concern in another thread — I’m with you on this, as I used most of those drawers on longer cruises!

On Symphony, there were 8 regular drawers, a shallow desk drawer, the corner bar cabinet, the three shelves on the inboard side, the tall shelf on the outboard side, plus the safe and fridge.

The new diagrams only show the 4 knobs on the outboard side of the desk and the shallow drawer on the new desk units, and the desk chair in the renderings obscure the drawer details.  If there really are 4 drawers there, assuming the safe goes in the closet , what happens to the fridge?  Also, the nightstands look taller and like they provide more storage than the current ones, but not not that much more.

Something doesn’t add up here…. But this is always the fun of speculating from renderings, on a project with such a compressed timeline.

7F25932A-4C08-4F27-A126-84A7B1A10F7C.thumb.jpeg.352fb6841d8875fc4430e1a83e4ee046.jpeg

Vince

• Like 1

There is a move on in the lux segment of the cruise industry to have sleek, open designs in the furniture.  Shelving is out - open space is in.  No one needs a bookcase because it's all on your tablet.  And drawers are so 20th century.

My own theory is that cabin decor is driven by decorators who want something that looks nice in the brochures and when you walk in the door.  But those same decorators haven't done any long cruising segments, if any at all, IMO.  Plus, drawers and shelves cost money.  Better not to waste the expense.

This is also taking hold in hotel room design.  Fewer drawers (if any), less counter space, and minimal closets.  And this includes upscale hotels, not just the bargain chains.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

There is a move on in the lux segment of the cruise industry to have sleek, open designs in the furniture.  Shelving is out - open space is in.  No one needs a bookcase because it's all on your tablet.  And drawers are so 20th century.

My own theory is that cabin decor is driven by decorators who want something that looks nice in the brochures and when you walk in the door.  But those same decorators haven't done any long cruising segments, if any at all, IMO.  Plus, drawers and shelves cost money.  Better not to waste the expense.

This is also taking hold in hotel room design.  Fewer drawers (if any), less counter space, and minimal closets.  And this includes upscale hotels, not just the bargain chains.

That was exactly the lens I framed my message in the other other thread with, but these renderings don’t go that direction either (THANKFULLY)…. There are no open wire bins, exposed hanging rods, open shelves or cubbies in the renderings either, like every hotel room built in the last 2 years is loaded with.  Otherwise I’d at least be able to be able to make sense of that, even though it would be its own disaster (see: Virgin Voyages).

Vince

Those rooms used to have wonderful storage, we used to stay in those and even for 2 months we have enough room for all our clothes and all our "stuff" and the books we used to bring with us. Shame that they took them out. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Those rooms used to have wonderful storage, we used to stay in those and even for 2 months we have enough room for all our clothes and all our "stuff" and the books we used to bring with us. Shame that they took them out. 

And so New Crystal begins.

Only when people get on board will we really know what the accommodation is like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, happy cruising said:

Tracie, if the rendering is accurate we’re going to have to put the stuff we used to put in those desk drawers and shelves in luggage under the bed … we will be living out of a suitcase, especially on the longer cruises. 

Can't believe A&K / Crystal would promote a luxury experience with high prices where passengers are

forced to store much of their belongings in their suitcases under their bed.   

Perhaps the examples shown by Crystal are either artists impressions or unfinished suites.   For example, the early descriptions of Deck 7 of Symphony included Self Service Laundry and Bridge Room which they don't have and never have had.  They have now been removed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zele said:

Can't believe A&K / Crystal would promote a luxury experience with high prices where passengers are forced to store much of their belongings in their suitcases under their bed.  

Silversea has ditched the bookshelves that were so useful.  Seabourn has eliminated useful desks for a simple table.  Viking is Nordic simplistic.

So New Crystal is just part of the pack.

• Like 2

On the Crystal site they note the following:

My guest but I suspect there will be storage and I suspect in the new suites there will be some kind of desk for a computer and a make up area but as they say time will tell.

Keith

Fares based on double occupancy (with exception of Solo Guest Room category) and vary by location on the ship. Solo Guest Rooms can only be booked on a single occupancy basis as fare shown. Fares include "destination fees" (i.e., fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on Crystal by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities as well as third party fees and charges arising from a ship's presence in a harbor or port). The renderings, photographs, and specifications displayed on this website are provided for convenience only. They should not be relied upon as representations, express or implied, of the final detail of the suites and guest rooms. Crystal expressly reserves the right to make modifications, revisions, and changes it deems desirable in its sole and absolute discretion. Dimensions and square footage are approximate and may vary with actual construction. Decor, designs, and layouts may vary within suite and guest room categories. Please contact 1-888-616-5291 for more information on suite and guest room offerings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

On the Crystal site they note the following:

My guest but I suspect there will be storage and I suspect in the new suites there will be some kind of desk for a computer and a make up area but as they say time will tell.

Keith

Fares based on double occupancy (with exception of Solo Guest Room category) and vary by location on the ship. Solo Guest Rooms can only be booked on a single occupancy basis as fare shown. Fares include "destination fees" (i.e., fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on Crystal by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities as well as third party fees and charges arising from a ship's presence in a harbor or port). The renderings, photographs, and specifications displayed on this website are provided for convenience only. They should not be relied upon as representations, express or implied, of the final detail of the suites and guest rooms. Crystal expressly reserves the right to make modifications, revisions, and changes it deems desirable in its sole and absolute discretion. Dimensions and square footage are approximate and may vary with actual construction. Decor, designs, and layouts may vary within suite and guest room categories. Please contact 1-888-616-5291 for more information on suite and guest room offerings.

Yes,everything is subject to change.

Getting on board is the real deal for knowledge.

• Like 1

Just now, Keith1010 said:

Obviously and that is true for every ship and every line we have sailed.

I never rely on others views and like to explore a ship and get it to work for me.

I am hoping to go on Serenity again but I am also hoping that it will be very different to how old Crystal was.

Fingers crossed 😁

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

I never rely on others views and like to explore a ship and get it to work for me.

I am hoping to go on Serenity again but I am also hoping that it will be very different to how old Crystal was.

Fingers crossed 😁

When was the last time you sailed Crystal?

4 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes,everything is subject to change.

Getting on board is the real deal for knowledge.

I mean yes, BUT, there will also be a point in time when the plans are finalized, everything will go into fabrication, and the installation work will begin.  More info will become available at those various points, just like it does with EVERY refit.  

So I don't blame anyone holding off to book because they're not comfortable with the unknowns -- many people wouldn't be...  And this is always the fun with a new launch, and relatively new territory for a company to launch on such a compressed timeline.  But it's hardly the first time we've seen info and details change as the design process progresses on a travel industry project, let alone a cruise ship.

Vince

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWIVince said:

I mean yes, BUT, there will also be a point in time when the plans are finalized, everything will go into fabrication, and the installation work will begin.  More info will become available at those various points, just like it does with EVERY refit.  

So I don't blame anyone holding off to book because they're not comfortable with the unknowns -- many people wouldn't be...  And this is always the fun with a new launch, and relatively new territory for a company to launch on such a compressed timeline.  But it's hardly the first time we've seen info and details change as the design process progresses on a travel industry project, let alone a cruise ship.

Vince

It's all a bit of a tease really to whet the appetite.

I like the facts that will follow and will make a decision once I know that there are suites that I like and an Itinerary that is interesting but that's getting less likely the more I sail around the world.

Buy land they're not making it any more.

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I would hazard a guess at ten years ago.

I thought so.

Personally I don't think the new Crystal will be a lot different than the old one.  I do think it will take the attributes of old Crystal and enhance them.

But so much changed from 10 years ago.

The ships look a lot different.

Open Dining.

Inclusive.

Lots more entertainment choices.

Two menus in the dining room.

So much changed and it addressed many of the things people who liked other luxury lines would complain about .

• Like 2

Just now, Keith1010 said:

I thought so.

Personally I don't think the new Crystal will be a lot different than the old one.  I do think it will take the attributes of old Crystal and enhance them.

But so much changed from 10 years ago.

The ships look a lot different.

Open Dining.

Inclusive.

Lots more entertainment choices.

Two menus in the dining room.

So much changed and it addressed many of the things people who liked other luxury lines would complain about .

Indeed Keith.

I think I was on  Serenity as the dining changed.

I can't remember how it was before then.

I always buy wine from a list so can't really say if the wine was included by then

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

Indeed Keith.

I think I was on  Serenity as the dining changed.

I can't remember how it was before then.

I always buy wine from a list so can't really say if the wine was included by then

It sounds like you might have been there when at the time they introduced the modern cuisine but so much more changed.  This is what I remind people. Crystal evolved more than most of the other lines.

Well back to the topic of the thread.

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Silversea has ditched the bookshelves that were so useful.  Seabourn has eliminated useful desks for a simple table.  Viking is Nordic simplistic.

So New Crystal is just part of the pack.

We are on Regent Splendor right now and thankfully they designed the cabins with more storage than we need. Hoping Crystal does the same as that was one of the things we always loved about Crystal. As you noted, SB and SS were lacking in good storage 

2 minutes ago, AtA said:

We are on Regent Splendor right now and thankfully they designed the cabins with more storage than we need. Hoping Crystal does the same as that was one of the things we always loved about Crystal. As you noted, SB and SS were lacking in good storage 

We found the suites on Seabourn to have plenty of storage, similar to Crystal

Nancy

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AtA said:

Storage does depend on which type of suite you have.

I have a larger suite on Seabourn and Silversea and find that there is more than enough space.

Standard suites might differ from that.