Beware The Key

wynkys

I have just completed Ovation's amended South Pacific cruise and enjoyed the fine weather and smooth seas that

we experienced by staying away from the cyclone up North.

I had purchased The Key for the cruise and RCI really dropped the ball on this one.

I was advised on two separate occasions that my boarding time was 3pm and so I assumed that the embarkation

lunch wasn't being offered as on my Quantum cruise in December.

When I reached my cabin, there was no welcoming letter and so I went to Guest Services. It turned out the lunch

had been held and so I was offered a compensatory lunch at the Crown Grill which I enjoyed the next day.

After some fiddling around, a letter was produced for me and it was only later when I read it that it referred to me

being on Navigator and advising me about making a reservation for the ice show.

The next day, the original letter turned up in cabin and I also discovered that an email had been sent to me early

on embarkation day telling me about the arrangements.

Then, prior to the last day I received notification about the departure breakfast only to discover when I went to it,

I had been directed to an incorrect dining room.

Additionally, during the cruise I had a number of specialty meals. Izumi and The Chef's Table were very good. Chops

was satisfactory, however, Jamie's was a major disappointment with slow service, barely warm appetizers and the main 

course of Lamb chops inedible. Without asking, I was offered a refund, however, I am still waiting for that.

• Haha 1

One, never assume anything. If you purchased The Key and you know it comes with a lunch, you also know you get priority embarkation. Which means you show up as soon as embarkation starts. In Florida that would be around 10:30-11:00am. I'm not sure what time it would have started for you in that location, but I would have been at the port at whatever that first boarding time is. Side note, the embarkation lunch is not worth it, we'll skip it the next time we have The Key and go elsewhere. 

Two, The Key is about much more than just food. I see nothing in your post to 'beware the key.' If you got it at the right price, you saved money using The Key vs. paying for WiFi alone to get some of the extra perks. We used The Key on our Symphony of the Seas sailing and simply waited till the cost of The Key was very close to the price of WiFi alone. It was a great value for us. 

Three, you were directed to the incorrect dining room. And? I'm sorry but this is a classic 'first world problem' to complain about. How long did it take you to get to the 'correct dining room?' Five or ten minutes? There's only so far that 'correct dining room' would have been. I'm assuming you found the correct dining room with no issues and had a satisfactory breakfast before you left the ship. 

All in all, I would still recommend The Key to folks if the price is right. Keep an eye on it and when the price is similar to the WiFi package, go for it. Skip the embarkation lunch, take advantage of the priority boarding, and take advantage of the perks at the shows. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have used the Key twice and do find value in it, at the right price. This sounds more like you did not pay attention to the details of what the Key offers so that you could take full advantage. You must have received an email about the program before your sailing, taking the time to read over that would have ensured you knew what to expect. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've used it once... it was $14.99 per day which was cheaper than a 2-device wifi plan, and it was on Anthem which had plenty of activities to make it worth it.  We were able to do those on sea days because it was a transatlantic with only 3 port days.  Under different circumstances or a higher price I probably would not have signed us up for it.

• Like 2

I personally wish they would add room service as a perk, as they had during the restart. We had it for our cruise on Adventure last May, and it's nice to have a hot breakfast in your room on a morning with a port call (and not have to fight the Windjammer crowds). I don't pay the $8 service fee for room service, so having that included was a nice perk and something that would make me consider The Key again.

• Like 3

I had the Key during my Jan cruise.  I had coffee, fruit, danish delivered every day (instead of an alarm clock), and gradually woke up on my balcony, then went down to MDR for Lox and Schmear, or Kippered Herring, or Eggs Benedict, or something else decadent.  The Key only cost $4/day more than I would have spent anyway for internet.  For me it was a very good deal, even though it contributed nothing to my morning coffee, or breakfast dining.

Edited by gmerick
Clarify - breakfast not part of Key.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

One, never assume anything. If you purchased The Key and you know it comes with a lunch, you also know you get priority embarkation. Which means you show up as soon as embarkation starts. In Florida that would be around 10:30-11:00am. I'm not sure what time it would have started for you in that location, but I would have been at the port at whatever that first boarding time is. Side note, the embarkation lunch is not worth it, we'll skip it the next time we have The Key and go elsewhere. 

Two, The Key is about much more than just food. I see nothing in your post to 'beware the key.' If you got it at the right price, you saved money using The Key vs. paying for WiFi alone to get some of the extra perks. We used The Key on our Symphony of the Seas sailing and simply waited till the cost of The Key was very close to the price of WiFi alone. It was a great value for us. 

Three, you were directed to the incorrect dining room. And? I'm sorry but this is a classic 'first world problem' to complain about. How long did it take you to get to the 'correct dining room?' Five or ten minutes? There's only so far that 'correct dining room' would have been. I'm assuming you found the correct dining room with no issues and had a satisfactory breakfast before you left the ship. 

All in all, I would still recommend The Key to folks if the price is right. Keep an eye on it and when the price is similar to the WiFi package, go for it. Skip the embarkation lunch, take advantage of the priority boarding, and take advantage of the perks at the shows. 

Wow!