Does HAL allow use of Reusable Water Bottles (Nalgene, Vapur) ?

bfgood2

Since HAL has imposed the restrictions on bringing  bottled water onboard the ships, do they allow you to bring in into port, filled re-usable water bottles, such as Nalgene or collapsable bottles such as Vapur? How would you find boxed 1 liter bottles of water in unfamiliar ports, since the price of water purchased from HAL is exhorbitant? It's going to be hot in summer and important to stay hydrated  when doing lots of walking.

4 hours ago, bfgood2 said:

Since HAL has imposed the restrictions on bringing  bottled water onboard the ships, do they allow you to bring in into port, filled re-usable water bottles, such as Nalgene or collapsable bottles such as Vapur? How would you find boxed 1 liter bottles of water in unfamiliar ports, since the price of water purchased from HAL is exhorbitant?

Water on HAL ships is free. You can fill your re-usable bottles in either the bathroom sink or in the Lido, where you need to use a water-glass to transfer to your re-usable bottle. Finding liter bottles in ports is basically the same as anyplace else. Whether you can bring them back on the ship may vary.

• Like 2

You aren't supposed to bring back plastic bottles of water, but I've often mistakenly left one in my backpack that i picked up during a hot port stop, and not had security mention it on the way back onboard. I find they are much less concerned with the prohibitions on plastic, alcohol, etc on the port calls than on the actual embarkation screening. 

I would always appreciate when they sold the metal bottles of water on the way out the gangway during port stops, but the last couple cruises they have been cans which cannot seal back up, making them not ideal to throw into a bag or bring aboard a vehicle. I do bring a reusable water bottle, but often find i've left it chilling in the mini-fridge where it will do me no good on a warm afternoon in port! 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bfgood2 said:

Since HAL has imposed the restrictions on bringing  bottled water onboard the ships, do they allow you to bring in into port, filled re-usable water bottles, such as Nalgene or collapsable bottles such as Vapur? How would you find boxed 1 liter bottles of water in unfamiliar ports, since the price of water purchased from HAL is exhorbitant? It's going to be hot in summer and important to stay hydrated  when doing lots of walking.

Like others say re-usable bottles are fine. I always bring a thermal (hot or cold). On cool mornings I have coffee to go, on hot days I have cold water. 

Just be sure to fill your reusable water bottle correctly!  Take a clean glass at the buffet, fill it with ice/water and pour into your bottle.  Get a clean glass if the lip of the glass touches the lip of the water bottle!  

So, so many times people put their water bottles right up and touch the water spigot  and contaminate the machine!  A pet peeve!

I bring a reusable water bottle as well as a thermal coffee cup for use on the ship and excursions.  I also pack a small amount of dish soap to wash my cups in the stateroom.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

You aren't supposed to bring back plastic bottles of water, but I've often mistakenly left one in my backpack that i picked up during a hot port stop, and not had security mention it on the way back onboard. I find they are much less concerned with the prohibitions on plastic, alcohol, etc on the port calls than on the actual embarkation screening.

I agree.  On our last couple cruises after doing it by mistake and not getting stopped, we started bringing disposable plastic water bottles onboard at ports.  Note that this was one bottle per person and not an entire case of water bottles.  Just don't count on it working your cruise, but we had no problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

I bring a reusable water bottle as well as a thermal coffee cup for use on the ship and excursions.  I also pack a small amount of dish soap to wash my cups in the stateroom.

One tip I read/saw was to take a new dish sponge and put some dish soap on it and let it "dry" somewhat and then cut it into small pieces and carry them in a ziploc bag in order to wash your cup/bottles in your cabin on board.

Edited by auntmeg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bfgood2 said:

How would you find boxed 1 liter bottles of water in unfamiliar ports, since the price of water purchased from HAL is exhorbitant? It's going to be hot in summer and important to stay hydrated  when doing lots of walking.

Actually, I order one-gallon jugs of distilled water ($2.95 each) from HAL. You'll find the item in the Beverages section of Cruise Planning online. You can specific that the jugs be delivered to your cabin on embarkation day, or later in the cruise.

On the 16-day Hawaii cruise, I ordered and consumed 4 jugs. Hope this helps..

We like the tap water onboard just fine, but if you don’t care for it, you can always order water to be delivered to your room. Here’s a pic of what we saw to be available. The glass bottles are 1 liter and the aluminum bottles are smaller, though I don’t recall the exact volume. Comparable to a can of soda I think

4C89CB88-8214-4C75-91AB-8345DD301C87.png

4 hours ago, auntmeg said:

One tip I read/saw was to take a new dish sponge and put some dish soap on it and let it "dry" somewhat and then cut it into small pieces and carry them in a ziploc bag in order to wash your cup/bottles in your cabin on board.

What a great tip!  Thanks!

11 hours ago, disneyochem said:

surely there is soap in the bathroom? Or shampoo it's bar soap? 

58 minutes ago, lissie said:

surely there is soap in the bathroom? Or shampoo it's bar soap? 

Not a fan of the scented soap available—and the residue left behind. I don’t use shampoo to wash my dishes at home.

*gasp* I also bring a small, thin brush to clean my bottles.  

We always bring 1 plastic water bottle (each), drink it before flight security, keep the empty bottle and refill it while onboard ship to take on excursions and refill back on ship. When time comes to recycle the bottle, we do that in port and buy another bottle. Refilling can be done as stated above (Lido, sink, or canned water -included in SBP) and the bottle fits in the fridge. 

HAL does not want cases of plastic water bottles to deal with recycling/trash but we've never had a problem with bringing 1 that we could afford to lose if we leave it on excursion accidentally. 

49 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Not a fan of the scented soap available—and the residue left behind. I don’t use shampoo to wash my dishes at home.

It was just a suggestion.  Of course you don’t use shampoo at home 🙄.  I guess if you want to bring everything but the kitchen sink it’s fine.  Maybe you bring the kitchen sink so it doesn’t smell bathroom-y 😉.

3 minutes ago, REOVA said:

We always bring 1 plastic water bottle (each), drink it before flight security, keep the empty bottle and refill it while onboard ship to take on excursions and refill back on ship. When time comes to recycle the bottle, we do that in port and buy another bottle. Refilling can be done as stated above (Lido, sink, or canned water -included in SBP) and the bottle fits in the fridge. 

HAL does not want cases of plastic water bottles to deal with recycling/trash but we've never had a problem with bringing 1 that we could afford to lose if we leave it on excursion accidentally. 

I’ve done the same but it’s in San Diego.  I take the bottle off the ship with me when I leave. Apparently Fort Lauderdale has taken away empty bottles from some.  Haven’t heard mention of other ports.  Like I mentioned they are ok with crew bringing water bottles on so it seems more of a money thing.  

2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I have to agree with the scent being a problem. I bring a small bottle of dish soap and bring my own small shampoo if cruise over 7 days. As stated earlier I can’t open their metal cans so reusable cup works best for me.