First time to Mediterranean

marymount

We are both in early 70’s and still mobile but not actively, no walkers, etc.  Looking at taking a 21 day R/T Rome with 15 ports.

Never having been to Europe, although we have cruised many times, do you think this is too much? Considering the cost of airfare from the US, and not sure how long we will be able to travel, thought maybe this a good way to taste all the big cities in case we can’t later on.

Any suggestions or criticisms? Thank you.

• Like 1

We have seen fellow cruisers become totally exhausted on Med cruises while others join us nightly for relaxing late night cocktails, late shows, etc.  The difference is that some of us have learned how to pace ourselves.  The Med is a wonderful area (we think it is the best part of the world for cruising) and there is no way you can do it all.   So you simply have to do your pre-cruise homework, be realistic on how much walking you can handle, and plan your days accordingly.  There are some ports (Civitavecchia and Naples quickly come to mind) where most folks are going to have long port days and likely wear themselves out!  But there are other ports (such as Kotor or Dubrovnik) where it is possible to plan a relatively relaxing day with a nice long lunch.

One suggestion is to avoid the heart of the summer (July-Aug) when you are more likely to run into some very hot weather.  Walking in a place like Pompeii can be a wonderful experience on a nice comfortable day.  But that same walk on a hot, humid day in August can be awful.  

Hank

• Like 3

If you do some research in most ports you can prebook a driver/guide combination that will limit the amount of walking.  In other ports you might find a hop on hop off (HOHO) bus close by.  There are lots of choices.

• Like 1

Cruising is a great way to get a taste of severaI cities/areas.  And I definitely agree with previous comments that Med cruises are port intensive. But it looks like you have 6 sea days, so hopefully they're staged at times that will help you recover ! 

If you have concerns about your stamina ( only you know your limitations), consider doing a West Med cruise one year, then an East Med cruise a year or 2 later.  And instead of doing RT, find cruises that start and end in different ports, ie Barcelona to Rome, or Athens to Venice. Add a couple of days pre and post cruise to enjoy those cities.

Personally seeing 15 different cities would be too much for me. So much to see and do, almost too much to absorb. 

I agree with Mapleleaves about starting and ending in different ports.  Med/Europe cruises are awesome, and only do what you can do.  I highly recommend booking tours with individuals -small groups that will allow you to do more customizing the day.  I am not a fan of the ships big bus groups since they will not let you modify anything.  You can get great suggestions from the CC ports page & Trip Advisor.  

If I remember correctly there are some ports (Naples) that does not offer elevators to take you to ground transportation level, but letting your tour guide know you will take more time doing the stairs will help.  GO & enjoy all your moments!  We travel often with another couple that are also in mid 70's and one has a small mobility issue.  We have found lots of guides that accommodate us.  

My husband and self are both 84yrs.Doing a28 day cruise in Nov I have had heart surgery.Wenare both active people but are slow.y starting to go on on walks weather permitting and trying to walk further every time Hood excercise and keeping fit for our trip.Fo 1 and a half miles every day now.

• Like 3