Boarding Time

tigger54

Remember your check in time will open at Midnight on that date also. If you want to snag a 10 or 10:30 check in time, be up at midnight on 02/12/2024. 

If it was not clear above your check in time is when they let you in the terminal, but boarding will start later. Often around 11am although this last cruise of ours they started at 10:25am. If you arrive before boarding has begun, you will go through security, then check in at the desk and be seated in a zone to be called once boarding starts.

Remember that you cannot arrive too much earlier than your check in time if you happen to get a late one. They will put you in a line for your time and make you wait. At many ports this is outside in the sun. 

Edited by asalligo

14 hours ago, jsglow said:

You actually choose your 'terminal arrival time', not your actual boarding.  And unless you are at least Platinum level, you do so 14 days before embarkation.

Suite guests check in 2 days earlier too.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

First time cruiser here in July 2023 and first post. If you purchase FTTF does it matter what time you check in? If we have a 1 pm time can we still show up at say 10:30 and check in with the fttf crowd or should we stay up late and get an  early time to arrive? Sorry if this has been asked before I just want to make sure I understand how this works. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Sickballer34 said:

First time cruiser here in July 2023 and first post. If you purchase FTTF does it matter what time you check in? If we have a 1 pm time can we still show up at say 10:30 and check in with the fttf crowd or should we stay up late and get an  early time to arrive? Sorry if this has been asked before I just want to make sure I understand how this works. Thanks.

There is debate on this matter. I had FTTF and an 11am check in time this month in Port Canaveral and I was let right in when I arrived before 10am, so it would appear to me that FTTF is allowed to ignore check in time as they did have an 11am line setup for anyone showing up early and people already in that line waiting. Officially it is not listed as a perk though. it was certainly an FTTF perk pre covid. 

Anyone been denied into the terminal with FTTF and a late check in since FTTF restarted? 

7 minutes ago, asalligo said:

There is debate on this matter. I had FTTF and an 11am check in time this month in Port Canaveral and I was let right in when I arrived before 10am, so it would appear to me that FTTF is allowed to ignore check in time as they did have an 11am line setup for anyone showing up early and people already in that line waiting. Officially it is not listed as a perk though. it was certainly an FTTF perk pre covid. 

Anyone been denied into the terminal with FTTF and a late check in since FTTF restarted? 

Bold my emphasis:

It is listed as a perk, but in a slightly obscure manner:

Priority Check-in

Upon arrival to the terminal, look for the Priority line to check-in. 

Anyone who has access to the Priority line can waltz up whenever they like.  I suppose you could also Rumba, Tango, or Salsa up.  I do not suggest Square Dancing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

We are platinum. Does that make a difference. We will be in a hotel the night before so want an early check in time.

You can disregard your port arrival appointment and arrive to the pier whenever you'd like then. Platinum, Diamond, and Suite guests can arrive at any time. You will still need to select one when you check in however.

So this is coming from a Royal Caribbean cruiser trying Carnival after many years, I assume it's the same with Carnival.  I know on Royal you can choose your arrival time in half hour increments starting around 9AM.  However, that doesn't mean that you'll be on the ship at that time.  That's just the time that you arrive at the terminal.  Depending on how things are going with the Zero Count (how fast the cruisers from the previous week get off the ship so that the crew can start to clean) and how things are going with the Customs department, you could be waiting a while to get onboard.  I was cruising April of last year and due to staffing shortages at the terminal, I didn't get onboard until 1PM, despite having an arrival time of 10:30AM.  I cruised out of the same port in October, had the arrival time scheduled for 10:30AM again and was on the ship by 11.

8 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

So this is coming from a Royal Caribbean cruiser trying Carnival after many years, I assume it's the same with Carnival.  I know on Royal you can choose your arrival time in half hour increments starting around 9AM.  However, that doesn't mean that you'll be on the ship at that time.  That's just the time that you arrive at the terminal.  Depending on how things are going with the Zero Count (how fast the cruisers from the previous week get off the ship so that the crew can start to clean) and how things are going with the Customs department, you could be waiting a while to get onboard.  I was cruising April of last year and due to staffing shortages at the terminal, I didn't get onboard until 1PM, despite having an arrival time of 10:30AM.  I cruised out of the same port in October, had the arrival time scheduled for 10:30AM again and was on the ship by 11.

Yep, same kind of set-up.  On Carnival I never remember an arrival appointment before 10a and I've never personally seen initial boarding begin later than noon.  But of course the latter happens occasionally because of unforeseen circumstances.

• Like 1