Maybe Azamara... was about to book today then worried about loyalty program changes

the_dylaness

Interestingly Celebrity did not send a similar letter.  So anyone booked on a Celebrity cruise and new to them but with status on Azamara will be equally affected.

I cannot understand why anyone would cancel a cruise just because some benefits were not being given to them, particularly given how insignificant the onboard benefits are.  And "status" means nothing on Azamara (thank goodness)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I just booked (Club World Owner's Suite) for a 15-night Japan sailing in 2024.  I just learned about my status resetting with the new website on CruiseCritic.  I had several calls to Azamara before we booked.  The Azamara rep talked about the inclusive and luxury experience of Azamara.  (I call it premium.)  Nobody from Azamara told me I would lose my status.  When I sign onto my account on Azamara, it states that I am a Discoverer.  I did call Azamara again and asked a direct question about this and they told me that I will lose that status when the new website goes into effect.  Not really sure what perks I will actually be losing.

4 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I just booked (Club World Owner's Suite) for a 15-night Japan sailing in 2024.  I just learned about my status resetting with the new website on CruiseCritic.  I had several calls to Azamara before we booked.  The Azamara rep talked about the inclusive and luxury experience of Azamara.  (I call it premium.)  Nobody from Azamara told me I would lose my status.  When I sign onto my account on Azamara, it states that I am a Discoverer.  I did call Azamara again and asked a direct question about this and they told me that I will lose that status when the new website goes into effect.  Not really sure what perks I will actually be losing.

The answer is next to nothing. Azamara, even I'm its new form is much like Celebrity. How much you pay for a cabin (ie a suite) trumps loyalty. The only thing you'll.miss out on is a few percent if you book onboard. 

Phil 

23 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The answer is next to nothing. Azamara, even I'm its new form is much like Celebrity. How much you pay for a cabin (ie a suite) trumps loyalty. The only thing you'll.miss out on is a few percent if you book onboard. 

Phil 

Financially, your correct......but probably the last thing you want to do in marketing is to lose the marketing advantage of accomodating,welcoming folks who have an affinity to your cruise line due to their involvement with the "previous" owner.  It is financially a small amount....but it would have been a very small amount to the new owners....and a reduced "acquisition cost of a passenger" expense....it would be an enticement for RCL/Celebrity cruises to try azamera.  They blew it.....and they didn't do a good job of informing passengers of the change (between the august update and today.  Couple that with managment unavailable to customers....it't just doesn't build  much confidence in the new management whoever they are...and they remain hidden with the only interface being customer service or the loyalty department who have not been exactly clear and forthcoming about the changes if you do contact them.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Financially, your correct......but probably the last thing you want to do in marketing is to lose the marketing advantage of accomodating,welcoming folks who have an affinity to your cruise line due to their involvement with the "previous" owner.  It is financially a small amount....but it would have been a very small amount to the new owners....and a reduced "acquisition cost of a passenger" expense....it would be an enticement for RCL/Celebrity cruises to try azamera.  They blew it.....and they didn't do a good job of informing passengers of the change (between the august update and today.  Couple that with managment unavailable to customers....it't just doesn't build  much confidence in the new management whoever they are...and they remain hidden with the only interface being customer service or the loyalty department who have not been exactly clear and forthcoming about the changes if you do contact them.

I wasn't replying to you, but the person I quoted. 

Phil 

But now the systems are separate, how will Azamara know anyones loyalty level with Celebrity?  So they had to make the break at some date.  If folks were that worried about the paltry loss they would make in having less benefits, they should have got some protection in writing when they booked - well actually they could not get that - so it was a risk they took in booking and in these things sometimes you fall on the right side of the line and sometimes you do not.

I am struggling to understand what has been lost by the newcomers from Celebrity post 1 February that is causing them to cancel?

• Like 3

For anyone curious here are the loyalty benefits listed

https://www.azamara.com/loyalty/azamara-circle/member-benefits

While discounts are always appreciated nothing of great significance in my opinion.

There have been lots of mistakes in the transition from RCL to Sycamore Partners, the biggest being the lack of timely responses to their customer base. This however seems to be across the entire cruise industry as well as others with the return from covid lockdown, finding qualified staff on shore , etc. I have only done one cruise on Azamara and was happy enough to book a back2back. Happy to be able to get out of the house and travel and experience the world again too. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, uktog said:

I am struggling to understand what has been lost by the newcomers from Celebrity post 1 February that is causing them to cancel?

It's always a question of what you'll get with a new company...but this was a surprise to at least some of us after we booked our cruises and made other arrangements.  The lack of communications of the change indicates that their eyes are not on the customers....if there are any eyes (names) behind the name Sycamore Partners who are even really involved. No one likes surprises....it's not the $'s or the travel credit...it's the fact that until the new site comes up, we are shown at one level....suddenly, without any written notice, it's changed.  Don't trust the new guys...can't rely on previous reviews.  Easy for us to cancel our fall azamara cruise....so we'll pick an established line with a record we can trust.  

Not sure who is calling the shots...but the perks are minimal cost to us...and cost to azamara.  Wouldn't it have made more sense from a business standpoint to carry over the perks at least for those who booked a cruise prior to 2/1....the folks who didn't know about the change because they missed the august announcement and there was no mailing to a new cruise booking about the changes.  

I cannot agree with @ghstudio assessment of Azamara.  I like Azamara but I also recognise their faults.  But I also realise there has been a pandemic and uncoupling from a vast monster, its controls and IT system is one heck of a challenge whilst keeping the show on the road.

Names are well known and they do communicate with guests.  Does it matter who is calling the shots - I do not need to know "who it is".  Rates of response may not be perfect but then the response rates from most cruise lines is not what it used to be like.

The fact that the programmes were being separated has been clearly communicated for several months on Azamara's website - funny no reciprocal communication on Celebrity.  But changes affecting potential loyalty benefits happen and sometimes you are a loser.  Just like there was no communication from the airline I accrue loyalty with when they stopped allowing flights on another airline to count towards my loyalty when I had flights booked or from the hotel I booked believing it would have IHG perks reflecting my loyalty only to find my free breakfast has gone because the hotel has now left the group.

I cannot believe losing a bag of laundry is leading to such a big trust issue.   There has to be a cut off date ok some fell on the wrong side of the line, happens in life.

And is this not all a bit premature, it has been said that there is new information to come both on loyalty and benefits.

• Like 12

While I find it weird that someone is hesitant to take their first cruise on Azamara because of a lack of perks, I don't walk in their shoes.  If you really can't get excited about an Azamara cruise and have a negative attitude going in, it's probably not worth your time booking with Azamara and living with that angst.  We have future cruises booked on X and Azamara.  It would be great if both would count for loyalty points for both, but it is what it is.  We'll have a great time on both and not worry earning points. 

• Like 8

It seems to me, a complete novice, that the only people that can complain are those with no Azamara track record.  

Isn't that like complaining that a cruise line you've never used doesn't acknowledge your previous business with a competitor?

Like Hilton giving you a free night because you spent $10,000 at Holiday Inn?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I guess I am confused…..are Celebrity cruisers (which I am one) saying they did not know about the changes in reciprocity with Azamara and Celebrity changing in Feb, 2023?

Because I received an email from Celebrity’s Captains Club on 10/14/22 that’s starts as this:

“As you may know, The Royal Caribbean Group sold Azamara to Sycamore Partners, a private equity firm, in March 2021. Since the sale, we have continued to award Captain’s Club Points on Azamara sailings. 

As of February 1, 2023, this benefit will change, and members will only earn points for the cruise line they are sailing on. When sailing on Celebrity, members will earn Captain’s Club points only, and when sailing on Azamara, members will earn Azamara Circle points only. Members will keep any Captain’s Club Points or Azamara Circle Points earned on or before February 1, 2023.”

And it goes on with FAQ’s etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As the OP (a relatively frequent X cruiser and a never-again-thank-you RCCL cruiser)... I did not receive any communication from X about the loyalty status changes.  

We did book this cruise, but right before my hold was to expire I learned about this and since I was already feeling a little unsure, I wanted to get additional thoughts about this.  A free bag of laundry or a discount on a beverage package I'm not going to buy anyway aren't a dealbreaker, but I was worried that lack of status on Azamara (coupled with not booking an upper tier room) could lead to unforeseen problems with dining reservations or other issues.  I booked my first Regent cruise about a year ago and learned from reading their boards that those without "status" at Regent may be at a disadvantage for shore excursion and dining bookings, so we actually chose to book a room one level above what we'd otherwise planned, so that we had more priority on these items.

Wasn't sure how it worked on Azamara.

For what it's worth, I had an Azamara account (I guess through X?) before booking the cruise and then, and now, it still shows "Discoverer" status.  <shrug>.

We have only been on one Azamara cruise and it lived up to everything its loyal followers write on Cruise Critic.  The service is outstanding.  The atmosphere is relaxed and the food is pretty good.  I would book all of your specialty restaurants as soon as you board, per advice of the regulars on the CC Azamara forums.   Last advice - Relax and Enjoy!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

As the OP (a relatively frequent X cruiser and a never-again-thank-you RCCL cruiser)... I did not receive any communication from X about the loyalty status changes.  

We did book this cruise, but right before my hold was to expire I learned about this and since I was already feeling a little unsure, I wanted to get additional thoughts about this.  A free bag of laundry or a discount on a beverage package I'm not going to buy anyway aren't a dealbreaker, but I was worried that lack of status on Azamara (coupled with not booking an upper tier room) could lead to unforeseen problems with dining reservations or other issues.  I booked my first Regent cruise about a year ago and learned from reading their boards that those without "status" at Regent may be at a disadvantage for shore excursion and dining bookings, so we actually chose to book a room one level above what we'd otherwise planned, so that we had more priority on these items.

Wasn't sure how it worked on Azamara.

For what it's worth, I had an Azamara account (I guess through X?) before booking the cruise and then, and now, it still shows "Discoverer" status.  <shrug>.

Not any difference on excursions between a past cruiser with status and a first time cruiser. You can reserve any of the excursions in advance and use your OBC to pay for it. Basic differences are #33 post above. Dining room you are seated when you arrive. Specialty restaurants are first come first serve on making reservations. Just a few small discounts on wifi, drink packages and discount on future cruises when booking during your trip that vary based upon your member level. Pick your cruise line and trip based upon where you want to go. Azamara is a great competitively  priced product. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Like Hilton giving you a free night because you spent $10,000 at Holiday Inn?

The situation is a little bit more complex. How about ChoiceAir that is actually part of RCCL? I wonder what Azamara is going to do with this program and with the flights booked prior to the transition

7 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

but I was worried that lack of status on Azamara 

Thanks I can see now why you might be concerned but be reassured status means nothing on Azamara in terms of dining, accessing excursions, being spoken to by the captain getting on a tender, walking up a red carpet to board in port (we all do!) etc. That’s what so many love about Azamara it’s an “all for one and one for all” experience. 
If you’re someone who wants lots of extra attention because you’re at high end loyalty Azamara is not the line for you. No one bothers about stupid pins or badges and it’s a far nicer atmosphere onboard in my mind than on other ships in the RC stable. 

Hope you enjoy your cruise 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ghstudio said:

It's always a question of what you'll get with a new company...but this was a surprise to at least some of us after we booked our cruises and made other arrangements.  The lack of communications of the change indicates that their eyes are not on the customers....if there are any eyes (names) behind the name Sycamore Partners who are even really involved. No one likes surprises....it's not the $'s or the travel credit...it's the fact that until the new site comes up, we are shown at one level....suddenly, without any written notice, it's changed.  Don't trust the new guys...can't rely on previous reviews.  Easy for us to cancel our fall azamara cruise....so we'll pick an established line with a record we can trust.  

Not sure who is calling the shots...but the perks are minimal cost to us...and cost to azamara.  Wouldn't it have made more sense from a business standpoint to carry over the perks at least for those who booked a cruise prior to 2/1....the folks who didn't know about the change because they missed the august announcement and there was no mailing to a new cruise booking about the changes.  

It's obvious that whilst you feel you have not received the level of service you expected pre-cruise, the main thing is you are miffed that you no longer have any reciprocal status with Azamara through Celebrity. You've never cruised with Azamara and have cancelled one of your two cruises where you have no travel commitments yet you continue to put them and their ownership down and come here and rant about it.

Incidentally, for as long as I've been cruising on Azamara I've always understood, even whilst they were owned by Royal Caribbean, that the reciprocal arrangements could be withdrawn at any time. Their rules. Loyalty is not a right. It's earned and works both ways. 

Phil 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Hapytocruise said:
On 2/22/2023 at 6:40 PM, Scots Caz said:

I believe you lose a bag of laundry and a discount off the Ultimate Beverage Package if you were upgrading

Elite Plus = Discovery Plus internet is free. $5/day off ultimate beverage pkg. 

Discovery Plus internet is 75% discount not free. (combined cabin benefit would make it free in Veranda Plus or Suite)

Poster was asking about what they would lose with lack of status booked in Owners Suite....internet would be free there with no status so no loss.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

The situation is a little bit more complex. How about ChoiceAir that is actually part of RCCL? I wonder what Azamara is going to do with this program and with the flights booked prior to the transition

I have flights to Europe for our October Azamara cruise booked through Choice Air. Recently this month one of our flight segments was cancelled by the airline and I had to call Choice Air to choose another flight.  So far, so good, but I’m wondering the same thing. I was assured by the Choice Air rep that there wasn’t going to be an issue with the separation from RCCL , but who knows.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KY Deb said:

I have flights to Europe for our October Azamara cruise booked through Choice Air. Recently this month one of our flight segments was cancelled by the airline and I had to call Choice Air to choose another flight.  So far, so good, but I’m wondering the same thing. I was assured by the Choice Air rep that there wasn’t going to be an issue with the separation from RCCL , but who knows.  

In the U.K. Choice Air isn’t offered but this is from the Azamara website announcing its new systems for trade partners which gives an indication that air offerings will be taken in house once the new system is live.

New Versonix Seaware Touch Booking Platform

• Seamlessly accessible through Azamara Connect, the all-new booking engine with easily accessible features and functionality for travel partners to book across channels over one integrated platform with a 360° view of everything. Travel partners can book FIT, plus back-to-back and combo voyages, including cruise, air, shore excursions, onboard packages, and more.
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 5:22 PM, the_dylaness said:

Thank you all- I just hung up with my TA and have booked this cruise.  I'm still feeling a little hesitant but here we are 🙂

I have been a Celebrity cruiser since 2005 and went on a European Azamara cruise last June. It was wonderful. No nickel and diming at all. I never had to show my card once. Our cabin attendent kept the fridge filled with water and sodas at our request. White night was a wonderful buffet . The service is impeccable. I have been on 3 Celebrity cruises since Nov. and it is sad to see how much they have changed. If you don't have a need for a casino,art aucton,bad comedian or magic show you will be very happy with your choice! Enjoy!!!

• Like 13