Rome Hotels & Getting to Port

Bellanina

Hubs and I are SS newbies and have not cruised in several years.  We want to spend 2-3 days in Rome before boarding. Looking for hotel options in or around city centre where we can walk to sites. In addition, we are looking for best transport to port Civitavecchia.  Is this reasonable, or should we stay closer to port? Also, are there hotels that provide shuttle service to port?

Thanks

• Like 2

We happen to love the Hotel Eden in a relatively quiet neighborhood with great restaurants within easy walking distance.   It is a bit of walking distance to the center of the city but doable.  The port (Civitavecchia) is quite a distance away and I know of no hotels that provide shuttle service to the port.  Can’t say much about an in between place to stay as I think it would be better just to stay in Rome and use Rome in Limo https://www.romeinlimo.com/  to transfer to the port.

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1

Heavens!  Don't even THINK of staying close to either Fiumincino (airport) or Civitavecchia (port).  Not that there might not be a few decent places, but Rome beckons.  You can taxi from the airport, but I suggest arrange for a transfer in advance, who will be waiting for you with a sign with your name.  Ditto going to port. (I would have concierge at hotel arrange for that - minimizes any chance of a no show or confusion.)  Before our first (and subsequent trips to Rome), I did a ridiculous amount of general research, getting familiar with the City.  So much to see, so is important to not waste time.  (Until you're ready to, you know, waste time!  Preferably with a Negroni at sunset from a roof top vantage point.)  As to hotels, we have two major favorites, although there are many great choices.  Portrait Suites is on Via del Condotti, two blocks down from Spanish Steps.  It is part of the (Salvatore) Ferragamo organization.  At ground floor is their men's shop, but around the corner is the hotel entry.  It is not cheap, but the view from the rooftop terrace is spectacular, the rooms are beyond wonderful.  Everyone that works there is dressed to the nines, and as helpful as can be.  The staff saved my cruise when I couldn't get my bags from the airport - they got on the phone, lots of rapid-fire Italian, bags were delivered shortly thereafter.  Impressive.  Lots of nearby destinations in walking distance, and restaurants aplenty. 

The other hotel we also love is now called Bio Hotel Raphael, about 1 block west of the north end of Piazza Navona.  Another stellar hotel, incredible rooms (try to get one on top two floors designed by American Architect Richard Meier - wowzer!) Impeccable service, great food, roof top terrace again (gotta have that in Rome), and also a great jumping off place to walk to many features.  One piece of advice:  Arrange a tour of Vatican in advance (preferably private if you can afford it) - you'll skip the long lines and the expertise of the guide is invaluable.  Buy a guide book to Rome, with a map, and study it - you'll be glad to know the lay of the land.  Navigating is not hard, with various landmarks visible from most areas.  Enjoy! 

• Like 3

There's quite a long (and recent) thread at the top of this forum where your post was moved -- discusses Rome hotels and locations in great detail with many recommendations.

I wouldn't recommend Hotel Eden if you want to be in the city center. It's a nice area but not central enough. Look for a hotel around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona or Campo dei Fiori areas. (And feel free to post any questions about specific hotels to that thread for help if needed.)

Finally, I completely agree that you want to base yourselves in Rome, not at the airport (very isolated) or at CIvitavecchia (poor choice of accommodations, not much to do).

• Like 1

We have long agreed with Cruisemom about staying in the Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori area.  I will not recommend hotels since too much has changed post COVID...so we leave the specific hotels to others.  We love that part of Rome, which we find so full of life, cafes, restaurants, etc.  

As far as getting ot the port (from Rome) we think it is truly a non-issue.  From Rome you are either going to take the train, a taxi, or arrange for a private transfer (we like Romecabs.com).  Where you stay within Rome does not have much impact as transportation will get you from your hotel to Civitavecchia no matter where you are staying.  So choose your hotel based on where you want to be within Rome.

Hank

• Like 4

Thanks for all the input- will check out all your hotel suggestions. We haven't spent time in Rome for several years, and look forward to our pre-cruise time there. I need to double check with our TA to see if SS ( SilverSea) provides transfer from airport to hotel and from hotel to port if we deviate and arrange our flights on our own,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 2:47 PM, Bellanina said:

Thanks for all the input- will check out all your hotel suggestions. We haven't spent time in Rome for several years, and look forward to our pre-cruise time there. I need to double check with our TA to see if SS ( SilverSea) provides transfer from airport to hotel and from hotel to port if we deviate and arrange our flights on our own,

Most cruise lines do not provide that type of transfer, especially when you arrive a few days before boarding the ship.

You have received many pointers to which I concur. Do not stay at the port, book a hotel more in central Rome (we stayed close to Camp dei Fiori and loved the location) and book your tours ahead of time.

I think we used Romecabs for our transfers from airport to hotel, from hotel to port, and from port to airport.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 2:08 PM, nini said:

Most cruise lines do not provide that type of transfer, especially when you arrive a few days before boarding the ship.

You have received many pointers to which I concur. Do not stay at the port, book a hotel more in central Rome (we stayed close to Camp dei Fiori and loved the location) and book your tours ahead of time.

I think we used Romecabs for our transfers from airport to hotel, from hotel to port, and from port to airport.

I have since learned same about transfers through cruise lines when we opt out of their partnered hotels. I will look into Romecabs! Thanks!