All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

24 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes there are, have been looking at other cruise lines for a possible cruise in 2024, in particular different itineraries, but it is noticeable how many have a relaxed attitude to dress code and no formal night as such.

In recent years many (most?) lines have relaxed their dress codes, often making formal dress optional or removing formal nights altogether. Some like Viking, Oceania and Azamara never had them. You may find the following link from this site useful.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles/what-should-i-wear-on-a-cruise-a-guide-to-cruise-line-dress-codes?stay=1&posfrom=1

• Like 1

Maintaining formal nights is a pretty good way of making P&O look rather more upmarket than it actually is - at zero cost.  

Stella Artois pulled a similar stunt many years back with their ‘reassuringly expensive’ advertising tag. It was just a bog standard beer in mainland Europe, but the clever marketing allowed them to sell at a much higher price in the UK.

Marketing is everything, and P&O are pretty good at it. The advertising is a lot glossier than the product, and images of people in formal dress are very helpful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Maintaining formal nights is a pretty good way of making P&O look rather more upmarket than it actually is - at zero cost.  

Stella Artois pulled a similar stunt many years back with their ‘reassuringly expensive’ advertising tag. It was just a bog standard beer in mainland Europe, but the clever marketing allowed them to sell at a much higher price in the UK.

Marketing is everything, and P&O are pretty good at it. The advertising is a lot glossier than the product, and images of people in formal dress are very helpful.

Last couple of P&O cruises, we have avoided formal nights completely,  eating in the Beach House and glass house. We will go posh if we need to, but to many folk ' upmarket ' is correct. I guess each to their own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denarius said:

In recent years many (most?) lines have relaxed their dress codes, often making formal dress optional or removing formal nights altogether. Some like Viking, Oceania and Azamara never had them. You may find the following link from this site useful.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles/what-should-i-wear-on-a-cruise-a-guide-to-cruise-line-dress-codes?stay=1&posfrom=1

Cunard have relaxed their dress code since our last cruise with them in 2019. On non formal night the jacket has been dropped which suits me.

Before making any significant purchase I always ensure the product meets what I want to buy with my hard earned cash. This includes when I buy a cruise holiday. I do a bit of research and reading. Doesn't everyone? Why buy something that is not really what you are happy with and then try to bend or break the rules and guidelines?

There are cruise lines out there to suit everyone. Just research the product as you would with any big purchase. I got it wrong once, and learnt from that and didn't book with them again.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Before making any significant purchase I always ensure the product meets what I want to buy with my hard earned cash. This includes when I buy a cruise holiday. I do a bit of research and reading. Doesn't everyone? Why buy something that is not really what you are happy with and then try to bend or break the rules and guidelines?

There are cruise lines out there to suit everyone. Just research the product as you would with any big purchase. I got it wrong once, and learnt from that and didn't book with them again.

Very true.

Whilst I always research a cruise line before booking with them I suspect that many don't, especially nowadays when people book online without access to a printed brochure. Having said that, like many things in life choosing a cruise line is usually a compromise. You are unlikely to find one which is perfect for you, there will be things that you like and things that you don't and you will have to accept the latter to get the former. Having accepted them, you should comply even if you would rather not. But that does not preclude you from arguing that rules should be changed even whilst complying with them.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Very true.

Whilst I always research a cruise line before booking with them I suspect that many don't, especially nowadays when people book online without access to a printed brochure. Having said that, like many things in life choosing a cruise line is usually a compromise. You are unlikely to find one which is perfect for you, there will be things that you like and things that you don't and you will have to accept the latter to get the former. Having accepted them, you should comply even if you would rather not. But that does not preclude you from arguing that rules should be changed even whilst complying with them.

I booked my first ever cruise in march and went at the beginning of June knowing literally nothing about cruises, or anyone that had been on one. I booked one and it was all over their website and itinerary pages about dress code and celebration night with what attire to pack. I felt like the website was very formative with dress code so much so I only packed formal attire... I then come on here for extra advice. 

So no excuse really to not know as all the information is there. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, laslomas said:

In respect of "Doesn't everyone?", sadly the answer is no. Not particularly this forum but on other Social Media groups I am on, it is really scary how little some people know about what they have booked in respect of cruises. People book on line or through a tv sales company and sometimes have no idea of what to expect. With the introduction of ever-bigger ships and lower prices, the industry is attracting new to cruise customers who previously may have only done hotel holiday packages and some assume that a cruise is no different to that...

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Britboys said:

In respect of "Doesn't everyone?", sadly the answer is no. Not particularly this forum but on other Social Media groups I am on, it is really scary how little some people know about what they have booked in respect of cruises. People book on line or through a tv sales company and sometimes have no idea of what to expect. With the introduction of ever-bigger ships and lower prices, the industry is attracting new to cruise customers who previously may have only done hotel holiday packages and some assume that a cruise is no different to that...

After years of well planned road trips to the USA,often meeting others who obviously had done zero planning,around 20 years ago I was persuaded by my Wife to try a cruise,she had been speaking to a neighbour who was a regular cruiser,I much prefer sailing to flying but the thought of being 'stuck' on a ship for two weeks really didn't appeal but I gave in,we found a Princess Cruise to Iceland & Norway which fitted in with my fixed holidays & booked under the impression that 'everything' was included & paid for😒

Our neighbours didn't drink alcohol so they hadn't mentioned buying drinks,OK so you expect to pay higher prices when you are a 'captive' audience but what I didn't expect was the amount added on for tips,then the biggest shock when we found out about the daily amount we would each be charged for tips for the crew,,over subsequent years I have heard so many people mention how they didn't know about this until after they booked,in all the times I have enquired with a TA about cruises only once have I been told about this charge up front,if you are on a long enough cruise this can add up to a substantial amount,inconvenient to say the least when the cruise was stretching your budget in the first place!

So yes despite being good at planning regular holidays cruising is different,once you have done one you know,but finding a cruise line that suits isn't That simple,the itinerary,dates & price also dictate who we,at least,book with & then we work around that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Two Black Tie nights on Britannia last week.

Formal dress code applies in the three MDR's, Epicurian and the Crows Nest Bar. Everywhere else evening casual.

2 per week is normal. In October we only did one in 2 weeks. Plenty of options on the nights we avoided. In the Caribbean this December, our formal clothes have decided to stay at home.

• Like 3

Its certainly been enforced on the P&O ships I've been on so far (Ventura, Azura, Arcadia). Personally I think it is quite disrespectful to go into a restaurant on formal night in casual wear. Many people do not have an opportunity to dress formally very often so it spoils the occasion if others are not similarly attired. 

I've no axe to grind with those who don't enjoy dressing formally - each to their own -  but there are other places to eat if someone does not wish to conform. 

• Like 7

On 6/25/2023 at 10:13 AM, laslomas said:

Absolutely! Beats me why people who criticise a cruise line continue to book withy them. We love Celebrity but cannot afford too many cruises with them. We know P&O will not be 'good enough' if not quite to the Celebrity standard and accept that. For the price we pay, we are satisfied

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 20and counting said:

Absolutely! Beats me why people who criticise a cruise line continue to book withy them. We love Celebrity but cannot afford too many cruises with them. We know P&O will not be 'good enough' if not quite to the Celebrity standard and accept that. For the price we pay, we are satisfied

If you know P&O will not be ' good enough ', why book with them?.

5 hours ago, 20and counting said:

We know P&O will not be 'good enough' if not quite to the Celebrity standard and accept that. For the price we pay, we are satisfied

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The poster actually said ' we know P&O will not be good enough '

I read it as  "we know P&O will never be a Celebrity cruise but for what they pay with P&O

they are happy to cruise with them .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kalos said:

I read it as  "we know P&O will never be a Celebrity cruise but for what they pay with P&O

they are happy to cruise with them .

You are probably right. What folk say and what they mean may not always be as intended. 🤔

• Like 1

I think I understand the sentiments stated above. I have been a regular Celebrity cruiser over the years but find their recent price hikes have made me have a re-think. I was considering whether to plan and book further ahead with Celebrity and miss a year. I enjoy cruising from Southampton but even if I could stretch to their prices for next year I would not want to as the only ship they have sailing from Southampton only offers 'infinite verandas'. So I have also booked for the first time with P&O and know it will be 'different' but I cannot accept being priced out of cruising altogether and am looking forward to my first P&O cruise. I'm especially looking forward to a few formal nights which no longer exist in the recognised way on Celebrity. I'm also intrigued to see how it different it will be with a large contingent of cruisers from the UK. Good, or bad? who knows? So I accept it will be different (and cheaper) - it could become my new regular cruise line. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, laslomas said:

I think I understand the sentiments stated above. I have been a regular Celebrity cruiser over the years but find their recent price hikes have made me have a re-think. I was considering whether to plan and book further ahead with Celebrity and miss a year. I enjoy cruising from Southampton but even if I could stretch to their prices for next year I would not want to as the only ship they have sailing from Southampton only offers 'infinite verandas'. So I have also booked for the first time with P&O and know it will be 'different' but I cannot accept being priced out of cruising altogether and am looking forward to my first P&O cruise. I'm especially looking forward to a few formal nights which no longer exist in the recognised way on Celebrity. I'm also intrigued to see how it different it will be with a large contingent of cruisers from the UK. Good, or bad? who knows? So I accept it will be different (and cheaper) - it could become my new regular cruise line. 

In general the older and smaller the ship (Arcadia and Aurora) the more likely that formal night dress code will be adhered too (incidentally both adult only). The newer, bigger ships less so.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

In general the older and smaller the ship (Arcadia and Aurora) the more likely that formal night dress code will be adhered too (incidentally both adult only). The newer, bigger ships less so.

I know what you mean but on all our recent cruises formal nights have been well supported, Azura, Britannia and Iona in March this year.

• Like 2

I was surprised how many dressed up for formal nights on Britannia this week, considering smart casual to a lot of them is ripped jeans, trainers and vest type tops... 

We saw the odd family wander through the atrium in casual clothes, but I would say over 90% of who we saw had made some sort of noticeable effort. 

After the casual night 'grunge party', I thought we were going to be the only ones dressed up, so was very pleasantly surprised. 

Andy 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

IMO the newer ships are aimed at different clentel from the two older 'adult only' ships.

Iona is basically doing a 'ferry' service with fjord 'cruises' week in,week out,Arvia a similar repetitive schedule every two weeks to the Med,sometimes advertised on tv from as little as £499pp,a bargain basement price holiday,it will be interesting to see which turn out to be the future for P&O,I imagine the company hope it is their new investments,if ports continue to limit the number of visitors allowed could that be problematic?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:04 PM, snaefell said:

IMO the newer ships are aimed at different clentel from the two older 'adult only' ships.

Iona is basically doing a 'ferry' service with fjord 'cruises' week in,week out,Arvia a similar repetitive schedule every two weeks to the Med,sometimes advertised on tv from as little as £499pp,a bargain basement price holiday,it will be interesting to see which turn out to be the future for P&O,I imagine the company hope it is their new investments,if ports continue to limit the number of visitors allowed could that be problematic?

It will indeed be interesting. My feeling is that P&O has set a course with the new ships for a more casual cruise style in a cheaper end of the market. As we know from earlier posts, there is going to be a bit of a hiatus in terms of new ships being ordered for Carnival Corp brands whilst they continue to recoup their pandemic losses. We all know that Aurora and Arcadia have a limited life ahead and once we see whatever the next ship allocated to P&O we might have a clearer picture.

• Like 1