All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

"Then what is defined as formal wear will change, until formal becomes smart casual.

Then people can complain that they should be allowed to dine in their swimwear!

Edited by Mike Senior
punctuation

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Hopefully that will be the case, other lines have ceased formal nights, others have optional “Dress to impress night”. It’s only a matter of time before P&O do the same, won’t happen overnight, the number of formal nights will be reduced and the venues it applies to will be reduced. Then what is defined as formal wear will change, until formal becomes smart casual. 

Strange then that Princess still continue the formal night tradition, although they do have a more relaxed attitude to the dress code and do not fully enforce the tie and jacket requirement.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:16 AM, AndyMichelle said:

I'm all for people enjoying their holiday how they want, but if I wanted to wear shorts in the main dining room, I would book a different cruise line. 

Not saying the policy is right, but it's the policy. 

If shorts were allowed, I would probably be the one wearing them, but they are not. 

Andy 

Totally agree.

It reminds me of the arguments children have with parents about school uniform. They always want to tweak it a bit and try to get away with little adaptions, shorter skirts, etc. Rules are rules. If that is what we tell the school kids, surely it applies to the older generation too. 

There are many cruise lines to choose from, something to suit everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:48 AM, mrshorsy said:

We’ve cruised many times and I can tell you this man will not want to wear trousers especially when as a woman I can go to a restaurant in a short dress or even a dress shorts co-ord. We’re sailing out of Southampton to Spain ad Portugal. I get the idea of formal night and am quite happy for those who enjoy that and it brings something to their holiday to suit up but it feels old and a little frumpy to us. I also feel that a pair of tailored shorts with a smart polo shirt (his preferred evening wear when on holiday) is way smarter to a pair of dark jeans which has been suggested by others.

Also somewhere long up thread I’n sure someone used the argument would you go to a really smart uk restaurant in the UK in shorts and the answer is yes if its hot! 

The video that was posted up stream gives me hope as the guy was in shorts quite a bit of the time 

I'll start by saying very genuinely that I'm not 'having a go' at your husband or making any judgement of him. What I really don't get however is why any man wants to wear shorts if they are spending most of the evening inside a cruise ship. I've sailed on various lines and never find it too warm. Invariably, the aircon is quite fierce and whilst I don't like high temperatures, could easily find it chilly to be wearing shorts. If you are cruising in hot climes and spending much of the evening outside, I fully understand why it would be nice to be in shorts.

I must say that I am completely baffled as to why an increasing number of British men seem to be obsessed with wearing shorts whatever the weather/temperature.

For background, I'm only early sixties so not too much of an 'old git' and when on a land holiday in a hot country usually wear shorts out in the evening to eat - but am usually eating outside in the warm...

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I'll start by saying very genuinely that I'm not 'having a go' at your husband or making any judgement of him. What I really don't get however is why any man wants to wear shorts if they are spending most of the evening inside a cruise ship. I've sailed on various lines and never find it too warm. Invariably, the aircon is quite fierce and whilst I don't like high temperatures, could easily find it chilly to be wearing shorts. If you are cruising in hot climes and spending much of the evening outside, I fully understand why it would be nice to be in shorts.

I must say that I am completely baffled as to why an increasing number of British men seem to be obsessed with wearing shorts whatever the weather/temperature.

For background, I'm only early sixties so not too much of an 'old git' and when on a land holiday in a hot country usually wear shorts out in the evening to eat - but am usually eating outside in the warm...

With you on this, Andrew - though I’m certainly absolutely against having to wear a suit, when in reality it’s little different from coordinated trousers and jacket.

As for shorts, I wear them at home in hot weather. Occasionally also at the end of the drive if I’m caught by someone passing. But never, ever out in public beyond that.

It’s just not fair on people……….🙂

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Today is the 1st day for over a week when I haven’t worn shorts as I had to go out this morning and temperature was around 11C. I took 3 pairs of trousers to the IOW last week, didn’t wear any of them, the temperatures weren’t tropical, but I was more comfortable in shorts than in trousers.

I also tended to wear them during the day when on a cruise, never found the air con a problem. I only wore trousers on a cruise of an evening with a casual shirts or polo shirt. I have shopped, eaten in restaurants, volunteered, flown on a plane, gone for long walks, played golf, mowed the lawn and watched cricket at Edgbaston in shorts, never been an issue in my 71 years. It’s not an obsession I wear what I feel comfortable in, unlike my Postie, I rarely wear them in the depths of winter. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I don't feel like you were having a go or being judgemental, merely expressing your opinion which is as valid as mine.

My husband wears shorts from about April through to October time most of the time. Leisure/sports shorts for walking and then dress shorts if he wants to be smarter (and they do look smart) If its colder he would wear smart jeans but they just don't fit right for a holiday. Suits are for weddings and funerals these days. 

We have just returned from the area we will be crusing in and it was hot way into the evening and we like to spend as much time outdoors as possible.

We normally cruise NCL which is from what I can see a better quality interms of restaurants and rooms etc but does have a relaxed feel. We booked this cruise on a whim when an offer popped up and obviously it is our fault for not researching it enough.

My biggest bug bear though was that I am more than welcome to wear my shorts !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:45 PM, AlixN said:

From the p & o website, it now says ' Plus, if you’re travelling on a fly-cruise, you could pack your best tailored shorts, as these will be allowed in certain venues around the ship.'

so for the Azura in the Canary Islands you can wear shorts, but for the Canary Islands cruise departing from Southampton you can't? Make it make sense. 

This was the point I put forward to the P&O customer service desk exactly!

I think that for males or females that have a reasonable figure then tailored shorts can look really nice - and I so envy those people…..

But, if I wore shorts I would look ghastly and very untidy (being a tad rotund).

Lines have to be drawn and I think P&O have probably got it about right, altho the same rules should apply for both men and women.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

With you on this, Andrew - though I’m certainly absolutely against having to wear a suit, when in reality it’s little different from coordinated trousers and jacket.

As for shorts, I wear them at home in hot weather. Occasionally also at the end of the drive if I’m caught by someone passing. But never, ever out in public beyond that.

It’s just not fair on people……….🙂

I think it is a generation thing, I used to wear shorts on holiday in the UK when we were a young family,  but only in very hot weather. However both my sons have routinely worn shorts in summer when not working, and IMO they both look rather good in shorts, whereas I avoid looking in the mirror when I now wear shorts on holiday, even.though Mrs TJ encourages me to wear them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Today is the 1st day for over a week when I haven’t worn shorts as I had to go out this morning and temperature was around 11C. I took 3 pairs of trousers to the IOW last week, didn’t wear any of them, the temperatures weren’t tropical, but I was more comfortable in shorts than in trousers.

I also tended to wear them during the day when on a cruise, never found the air con a problem. I only wore trousers on a cruise of an evening with a casual shirts or polo shirt. I have shopped, eaten in restaurants, volunteered, flown on a plane, gone for long walks, played golf, mowed the lawn and watched cricket at Edgbaston in shorts, never been an issue in my 71 years. It’s not an obsession I wear what I feel comfortable in, unlike my Postie, I rarely wear them in the depths of winter. 

Each to their own. I'm not criticising but I'm still baffled. I've never worn shorts whilst eating in a restaurant, volunteering or flying in a plane...😀

Me and my husband usually start wearing our shorts when weather permits. We were a bit late this year, as it was the end of May, but it was not a good spring. We’ll be in shorts most of the time for all our day to day activities until sometime in September. We are retired from work, and have a relaxed and casual life, and wearing shorts suits our lifestyle. Neither of us would wear shorts for evening outings or on cruises in the evening, but I’ve no issues with people that do. The white suit pictured earlier in this thread looks great for for a younger woman. Actually, I’ve just remembered I had a great pair of smart shorts that I used to wear a lot for evenings out, back in the late 80s! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Me and my husband usually start wearing our shorts when weather permits. We were a bit late this year, as it was the end of May, but it was not a good spring. We’ll be in shorts most of the time for all our day to day activities until sometime in September. We are retired from work, and have a relaxed and casual life, and wearing shorts suits our lifestyle. Neither of us would wear shorts for evening outings or on cruises in the evening, but I’ve no issues with people that do. The white suit pictured earlier in this thread looks great for for a younger woman. Actually, I’ve just remembered I had a great pair of smart shorts that I used to wear a lot for evenings out, back in the late 80s! 

Completely understand people wearing shorts in the daytime when it is pleasantly warm. Just don't get those that wear them in cold, windy weather and wearing them out to a restaurant, especially during the evening.

Each to their own - I just don't get it...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Completely understand people wearing shorts in the daytime when it is pleasantly warm. Just don't get those that wear them in cold, windy weather and wearing them out to a restaurant, especially during the evening.

Each to their own - I just don't get it...

I tend to wear shorts during the day between April and October ish unless going for any type of appointment. I would never dream of going out at night to eat in shorts unless it was a summer BBQ. I would never wear shorts on a cruise for dinner regardless of where I eat, but that is just my preferred choice, I do wear shorts through the day on ship. There were several facecloth threads on the Cunard pages regarding wearing shorts in the Queens room for afternoon tea, some quite heated. There is nothing in the rules saying shorts are an issue at afternoon tea, on the first sea day I went to tea in shorts and asked the maitre de on the way in if it was an issue, "No" 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I tend to wear shorts during the day between April and October ish unless going for any type of appointment. I would never dream of going out at night to eat in shorts unless it was a summer BBQ. I would never wear shorts on a cruise for dinner regardless of where I eat, but that is just my preferred choice, I do wear shorts through the day on ship. There were several facecloth threads on the Cunard pages regarding wearing shorts in the Queens room for afternoon tea, some quite heated. There is nothing in the rules saying shorts are an issue at afternoon tea, on the first sea day I went to tea in shorts and asked the maitre de on the way in if it was an issue, "No" 

Must admit that I wouldn't wear shorts to afternoon tea in a Cunard Queen's Room - but would in the buffet on P&O 😂. I wouldn't have hurrumphed or shot you disapproving looks in the Queen's Room though...

• Haha 1

I’ve just this day returned from a crossing on the QM2 and shock, horror! Sports shorts and a non collared shirt were permitted in the Chart Room on a formal night, the gentleman was requested to remove his baseball cap though 😬

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Our postman wears shorts whatever the weather!

I asked my postie about that. He explained it's because in wet weather they dry quicker and there's nothing worse than very heavy wet trousers or jeans if you're walking around for hours.  He said better to be cold legged than cold damp wet!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I asked my postie about that. He explained it's because in wet weather they dry quicker and there's nothing worse than very heavy wet trousers or jeans if you're walking around for hours.  He said better to be cold legged than cold damp wet!

I can vouch for that,as an ex postie I well remember being out in Winter wearing my heavy cold weather trousers,after a couple of hours heavy rain the crutch was down by my knees!

As for shorts,I started the job at the beginning of May,two days into the job we were all asked if we wanted shorts,they finally arrived the day before I finished in December so you just knew some just had to wear them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks, another of life's mysteries solved. I did ask a few years ago of our retired postie who would never have been seen on duty in shorts, about shorts now been de rigueur throughout the year. He just said I know it's a macho thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, CliveJ said:

OK, Sir, may as well lay into your post, since at least one of the folk I was 'debating' with has deleted all his conversations.

Afraid what, among a fair few other things, you DON'T find when you're you're offered an excellent no-fly solo price on a cruise are the details which the line in question might later present as requirements (once of course you've given them your money).

Not sure that, in these days of 'inclusivity', most people would be expecting to be 'excluded' from an event simply on the basis of what is deemed 'acceptable' to wear( & please don't harp on about swim trunks etc., that's not the issue here)...and I fear, from a fair bit of research in the last few weeks, that some of the 'traditional' passengers may feel a little more strongly about such things as 'formal wear' than the cruise company themselves.

A good few recent passengers/bloggers/vloggers have suggested that with a respectable shirt/tie (which I'll for sure be wearing) there will be NO problem getting into the MDR/Chef's Table of 'celebration' night. A few others, without suggesting that they're recent cruisers, have informed me that if I don't like the policy I should book somewhere else.

I'm not actually debating who's right or wrong any more - it's a 'never the twain shall meet' scenario; I'd just like to know what's actually going to happen in a week's time when I turn up at the MDR on Mar. 6th.

So, if anyone can spare me the contempt clearly owing to anyone who dares flout the conventions that they hold so dear, MIGHT I GET IN, PLEASE ?!

Simple answer.....In the dress that you mentioned ...absolutely YES