Tamarind

Gsel

Good catch, the HAL website shows the Tamarind listed under "Dining" on both the Zuiderdam and the Westerdam, but not the other two Vista ships.

Is it a "pop up" and shares space with Canaletto or some other venue? Or as you suggest, a website glitch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm not sure where they would put it, but it shows as being on Westerdam and Zuiderdam on the "ships at a glance" chart. 

I've never seen it in the canaletto as has been suggested.  Maybe as a pop up in the pinnacle.  Too bad the people that work on the website have never been on a hal ship.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, mfanderso said:

I found this on HAL website:  Tamarind menu available in Pinnacle Grill on Westerdam Asia itineraries and Zuiderdam Grand World.

Wow, that is exciting!  I will be on Westerdam for 28 days around Japan. Definitely am hoping that Tamarind items are available as I'm not a huge fan of either Pinnacle or Canaletto.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, GHCruiser7 said:

From personal experience,Tamarind on Westerdam and Zuiderdam is considered a popup restaurant, hosted in Pinnacle.  Read the fine print... NO discount for Mariners.  HAL marketing at its finest - scammed again.

I don't think the mariner discount applies to any special/popup dinners/

• Thanks 1

To all -I am on 14 day sailing of westerdam  right now. The way it worked is as follows : the first 5 or 6 days theCanalletto  space became the Tamarind and then converted back to Canaletto for the rest of the cruise.  So check when you board if you intend on dining in either and make reservations as needed for either (or both). If you made advance reservations you may also want to confirm the nights JIC they switch up the order😀😀😀.

note that this was not published anywhere that I noticed and I found this out when I went to make reservations .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We were recently on Zuiderdam for a South Pacific cruise and it had several pop up Tamarind nights in the Pinnacle. I was so disappointed by the first one we cancelled our reservation for the later ones. The menus were limited to just a few of the usual Tamarind items and weren’t as well prepared. Combine that with paying full price (no mariner discount) made it a no brainer to pass on any future pop ups.

Based upon my experience I would not get too excited about those dinners. Unless you’re on a ship with a real Tamarind (Pinnacle or Signature Class) you may be as disappointed as we were with the offerings.  Nothing compares to the real Tamarind. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, julia said:

We just had our 2nd dinner at Tamarind on the K'dam. The service was consistently good, and we were pleased with the food (love the presentation).  Could definitely see some cutbacks, but it was fine with us.

To clarify the OP was asking about the HAL claim that Tamarind is available on the Vista class ships. Nothing about the Tamarind on Pinnacle has changed nor are my prior comments related to any experience in a dedicated Tamarind restaurant, just the popup nights on Zuiderdam. 

• Like 1