Questions for first time SS cruise. 31 night Silver Moon Lisbon to Athens

first time cruising

I’m hoping experienced guests can give me a few answers to some questions I have before our first SS cruise.

1 When we booked this cruise it was shown as 31 night cruise Lisbon to Athens. When we received our paper work it is shown as three cruises back to back. Question is what will be our status as Venetian society member. After the first leg will it count as first voyage?

2 We intend to donate to Crew Fund. Is there any guide line on amount acceptable for 31 night cruise?
3 Is the ship decorated for Easter?
4 We are on board 25th April ANZAC day. Is there a service for any guest who may like to attend?

We are very excited and counting down the days. I’m keen to start packing. Thank you in advance for any answers you can provide me with and please be kind.

have a great Sunday. As a side note here in South Australia we are about to start a week of temperatures around the 40C mark.

kind regards Lorrie

You will be a newbie on the first leg only, so will be a full Venetian for voyages 2 and 3.

There are no guidelines for the crew fund, just put in what you feel comfortable with.

Generally the ship will be decorated for Easter and all main holidays.

When you board seek out the cruise director and discuss Anzac Day, you may have to organise something yourself but the CD should be able to help.

• Like 1

Lorrie just one thing. If contributing to the crew fund it is one thing that US dollars are useful. Also if you do feel like tipping anyone else. not necessary but you do meet some fantastic staff.

I could bring some extra along if you don't have a supply. And better than bank rates.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:03 AM, first time cruising said:

Thank you for offer, we do have some US$ to bring and thinking of getting some Euros also. Quite partial to the idea of almond M&M’s though.

I don't think you need to bother getting US$. The least amount of currency exchange you do is better. Firstly, your cruise is in Europe and Euros will be accepted anywhere. As for donating to the crew fund - a very good idea - just go to the Reception desk and hand in a note saying how much, in dollars, you want to contribute and it will be registered against your shipboard account. We have never had a problem doing this.

However we run into the problem as Australians that the shipboard credit is in US dollars and therefore you have to do a currency conversion on paying. I get a much better rate for US dollars doing it myself so we pay the crew fund in cash. And we normally tip the butler and room attendant with USD.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, drron29 said:

However we run into the problem as Australians that the shipboard credit is in US dollars and therefore you have to do a currency conversion on paying. I get a much better rate for US dollars doing it myself so we pay the crew fund in cash. And we normally tip the butler and room attendant with USD.

I use my credit card with no foreign exchange fee, so I pay in US$ and my bank converts the ship’s bill to AUD. That’s always a better rate than if I buy US$ from Travelex or similar. As for extra tipping, the ship is in Europe, so the crew need Euros for personal shopping.

7 hours ago, Port Power said:

I use my credit card with no foreign exchange fee, so I pay in US$ and my bank converts the ship’s bill to AUD. That’s always a better rate than if I buy US$ from Travelex or similar. As for extra tipping, the ship is in Europe, so the crew need Euros for personal shopping.

But I have a USD bank account and am well in front from the time i opened it.

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

But I have a USD bank account and am well in front from the time i opened it.

Of course that makes a difference.  Nevertheless, I think Euros would be just as appreciated by crew sailing in European waters as US$.

• Like 1

Try Madagascar! A stack of the local currency, worth about $300 at the time. This was the largest denomination of bills available. The Ariary was running about 3000 to the USD at that time. Now it's about 4300 to a dollar. Should have waited to visit now!

20161009_084711.thumb.jpg.f1c918ec01445b5a16ee0b7dfd5756a3.jpg

20161009_084650.thumb.jpg.0c0c26297dc245ea274450855368e471.jpg

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Try Madagascar! A stack of the local currency, worth about $300 at the time. This was the largest denomination of bills available. The Ariary was running about 3000 to the USD at that time. Now it's about 4300 to a dollar. Should have waited to visit now!

20161009_084711.thumb.jpg.f1c918ec01445b5a16ee0b7dfd5756a3.jpg

20161009_084650.thumb.jpg.0c0c26297dc245ea274450855368e471.jpg

You'll be needing luggage forward to send the tip money ahead.

• Haha 3