MSC Meraviglia between 2 US ports

wwnl

I'm cruising with MSC in May on the Meraviglia. My itinerary is New York - Orlando - Nassau - Ocean Cay - New York.

I don't understand how it is possible that the ship makes a stop in a US port on the itinerary since the ship is registered in Malta and the Passenger Vessel Services Act forbids this. Any ideas?

Also, do I have to get off the ship in Orlando? Since I know the US has some very strict rules during embarkation and disembarkation where the ship has to be completely empty before new passengers can get on.

10 minutes ago, wwnl said:

I'm cruising with MSC in May on the Meraviglia. My itinerary is New York - Orlando - Nassau - Ocean Cay - New York.

I don't understand how it is possible that the ship makes a stop in a US port on the itinerary since the ship is registered in Malta and the Passenger Vessel Services Act forbids this. Any ideas?

Also, do I have to get off the ship in Orlando? Since I know the US has some very strict rules during embarkation and disembarkation where the ship has to be completely empty before new passengers can get on.

Because it's a round-trip (closed loop) cruise, embarking and debarking in NY, the only requirement is that you visit a foreign port (in this case Bahamas) you are allowed to visit a US port.  As long as you didn't visit a foreign port prior to visiting a US port, you don't have to get off the ship.  However, if you were to go to the Bahama's and than Orlando, you would have to go through custom's and clear the ship.

In the case of a round trip from NY: sailing to Orlando than Nassau you won't have to clear the ship in Orlando.

In the case of a round trip from NY: sailing to Nassau than Orlando, you would have to clear the ship in Orlando because you visited a foreign port before the US port.

1 hour ago, wwnl said:

These cruises are only sold as closed loop from Brooklyn. No one is embarking/disembarking in Orlando.

As mentioned above, closed loop cruises from the US only needs to stop at one foreign port to be in compliance with the PVSA. They can have any number of other US ports on the itinerary. Popular US port stops include Boston, Bar Harbor, Charleston, Orlando, and Key West.

Orlando is not Orlando, it is port canaveral which is 45 mins to an hour from Orlando. Most stay on the ship. It is too far and not a long enough stop to try to do a day trip to Disney. The space station would be worth the stop is your arrive at 8am but this is a 1pm arrival so you have no time for that. If you want to check out cocoa beach that would be the only reason to get off but otherwise just stay on the ship.

• Like 1

The PSVA only requires a stop in a foreign port, no limit on US ports. Fun fact: when Alaska cruising started back up after the shut down and Canada was still closed to cruise ships, Congress suspended the PSVA so Alaska cruises didn't have to stop in Victoria, like they usually do.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The PSVA only requires a stop in a foreign port, no limit on US ports. Fun fact: when Alaska cruising started back up after the shut down and Canada was still closed to cruise ships, Congress suspended the PSVA so Alaska cruises didn't have to stop in Victoria, like they usually do.

My apologies to the op but JL do you know what happened to @graphicguy.  I haven’t seen him around for quite a while. 

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My apologies to the op but JL do you know what happened to @graphicguy.  I haven’t seen him around for quite a while. 

I’m here.  Hanging back at the NCL boards.

MSC cruise I had booked had a glitch in their booking system and my booking didn’t register.  They came back and told my TA (I have the actual email MSC sent to my TA) that I’d have to rebook…”AT A HIGHER FARE.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Was looking forward to the Seaside cruise in May.  Now, I’m just left with a sour taste regarding MSC.

Anyway, hope things are well.

28 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

MSC cruise I had booked had a glitch in their booking system and my booking didn’t register.  They came back and told my TA (I have the actual email MSC sent to my TA) that I’d have to rebook…”AT A HIGHER FARE.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Was looking forward to the Seaside cruise in May.  Now, I’m just left with a sour taste regarding MSC.

It’s happening to a lot of us. I’m going back to NCL next cruise too after our experience on Divina last month. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That really stinks.  Sorry to hear that.  But glad you're good!  

• Like 1